PDA

View Full Version : SRT-10 RAM grabs Guiness record

DR.GONZO
02-03-2004, 04:39 PM
http://www.fast-autos.net/news/2204.html

DurangoBob
02-03-2004, 08:33 PM
I love this truck! If you think it is fast now, wait until Hennesey modifies the Viper twin turbo set up to fit into the SRT-10. Or just custom fabricate a twin set up with two T-88's. One for each bank of cylinders. That would rule

D-Bob

oscargarza88
02-03-2004, 08:41 PM
i also love this car!, well truck...

BADMIHAI
02-03-2004, 09:01 PM
American stupidity at its finest!

blah
02-03-2004, 10:00 PM
Wait till the new lightning comes out, and shut up bad.

killer66
02-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Ford won't let them keep the record for long. The new lightning is coming!!! :vamp:

blah
02-03-2004, 10:41 PM
Kinda sad that it only beats the L by less than 10 MPH, when this Truck was suppose to kill all Ls.

nthfinity
02-03-2004, 11:05 PM
the truck kicks major ass, no doubt. im not a big fan of its styling.
according to ford, the word is wait on the f150 svt lightning until 2006, or perhaps even 07my, which leaves plenty of time for the dodge to reign supream. along with the svt lightning will be the new mustang cobra, and a likely turbocharged version of the focus svt(much like the the u.k. focus RS) as well as the FORD GT. SVT will have their hands full, and possibly expand due to increased demand for high performance stock

zevolv
02-03-2004, 11:09 PM
I agree the New Lightning will rape this truck up the Ass (tail pipe) Dodge cheated putting the V10 in it

Cornutu
02-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Yea I am continually not impressed with Dodge. I just don't care about their random propagande stunts.

zevolv
02-03-2004, 11:51 PM
And their transmissions all suck the truck ones go to shit after a few years if you tend to tow stuff. And the Viper is supposed to have a really stiff tranny as well, I've heard Race car drivers say it sucked.

666fast
02-04-2004, 12:29 AM
I agree the New Lightning will rape this truck up the Ass (tail pipe) Dodge cheated putting the V10 in it

Why? They put the non SRT V10 in their trucks too. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Viper Engine was from one of their trucks. I think they just increased it's displacement.

Badmihai, yup, it was sheer stupidity that made Dodge think of building and selling a high performance truck.
Dodge is making between 2500 and 3000 of these a year at about $40,000 - $45,000 I wouldn't be surprised if they have already taken orders for the next two years worth of vehicles. Yup, I'm not convinced it was sheer stupidity to create a truck that'll sell as many as they make.

Just a tad over 150mph, 0-60 in 5 seconds, a quarter mile time of 13 seconds or so, and a .92 on the skidpad. Not bad for a 5000lb truck.

All in all, it's a nice truck, but I'd rather have the upcoming Lightning.

zevolv
02-04-2004, 12:33 AM
What Dodge truck uses a V10 they have a Diesel and a Hemi (not that great) neither of which are a V10

hemi_fan
02-04-2004, 12:39 AM
man, this thing is bad-ass... but you'd think it would have better stats compared to the lightning seeing as it has 120hp more... The looks of this thing are so in-your-face while the lightning is a total sleeper... Im not sure which I like more, its a tough call.

666fast
02-04-2004, 01:04 AM
What Dodge truck uses a V10 they have a Diesel and a Hemi (not that great) neither of which are a V10

I believe theys topped making it in 2002. http://www.new-cars.com/2002/dodge/dodge-ram-2500-3500.html

Like I already said, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the SRT engine, they just increased it's displacement.

Skaala
02-04-2004, 03:39 AM
Sweet!!!!, got to love that engine!, I to can't wait until hennessey unleashes a 1000TT version. It's going to be scary. Don't think Ford can put up with that no matter how.

zr2man99
02-04-2004, 04:57 PM

Canada makes some good cars don't they eh?

Sachmo12345
02-04-2004, 07:29 PM
this may spawn a whole new market of truck and i 2nd that shut up to BAD you cant say it wouldnt be fun to smoke every car on the road in a fuckin truck and once Hennesey is done with it the car will have more than 900HP at least

blah
02-04-2004, 07:35 PM
sorry hennesey aint that great, They make like 1000 HP kits for the Vipers, and yet the vipers are still slower than the Lingerfitler TTs.

Skaala
02-05-2004, 08:12 AM
right.. everyone knows hennessey is a crook, but he builds great cars, although I wish he'd do more like lingenfelter when he tunes. Not only fit turos, but increase the volume as well. Any of you seen the lingenfelter corvette vs F18 Jet Fighter? He increased the egine to 427cu.i..... got to love that!

mave
02-09-2004, 07:10 AM
I always wonder, how they deal with the stiffness of a pick-up?

Garretts_turbo
02-09-2004, 06:17 PM
what an awesome truck :lol:

sickx
02-12-2004, 06:04 PM
The beauty of the forced air Lightning is that, with a few (minor) modification to the beats -- blower pully, fuel mgt, plus exhaust, you can beat the SRT.
Trying to mod the SRT will cost serious $$ for any significant gains.

The359
02-13-2004, 10:05 PM
The upcoming SVT Lightning, if it comes out exactly as the original concept shows, more then likely will not beat the Ram SRT-10. First off, the Lightening only had a 450hp Supercharged V8 compared to the 505hp V10 in the Ram. Now, I know a lot of you will say that the Lightning has this boost thing in it's engine which adds 50hp, but I should also point out that it only lasts a few seconds. That makes is basically useless for doing a lap, which is required for the record. So basically the Lightning will only be doing 450hp most of the lap, with the boost right at the beginning.

Also, the Viper V10 is indeed based on the old Dodge truck engine which they used in their heavy duty trucks, but was developed with the help of Lamborghini, which Chrysler owned at the time. They basically bored out and reinforced the engine.

blah
02-13-2004, 11:03 PM
The next lightning will be at 500 Horses, what boost thing are you talking about?

The359
02-14-2004, 12:17 AM
The Lightning truck concept in 2003 was 450hp, but it had a "Supercooler" or something like that, which acted a bit like NO2, injecting supercooled air into the engine for a boost of 50hp for a few seconds to help in acceleration. But like I said, that only lasts a few seconds, so other then that, the truck will only be pushing 450hp.

The359
02-14-2004, 12:19 AM
"Ford's patented SuperCooler technology cleverly provides a special burst of power for the SVT Lightning concept. Traditional intercoolers dissipate heat from the supercharged air by circulating coolant through a front-mounted, air-cooled radiator. With the SuperCooler system, the vehicle's air conditioning system is used to chill a small storage tank of coolant to about 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine's intercooler. In turn, the intercooler dissipates up to 20 percent more heat from the charge air - resulting in a denser air charge.

A green light on the instrument panel indicates the system's readiness. SuperCooler is activated automatically when the driver depresses the accelerator to a wide-open-throttle position.

This technology plays directly into the hands of the enthusiast, Coletti says. The SuperCooler provides the edge for the driver, and it is done simply by taking advantage of the hardware that already exists in the vehicle.

As a result of this cool technology, the SVT Lighting concept can give its driver as much as 50 transient horsepower for short bursts of 30-45 seconds and regenerate within 2 minutes under normal driving conditions. While its effect is similar to that of an aftermarket nitrous oxide system, the SuperCooler is completely self-contained, environmentally friendly and regenerative."

FoxFour
02-14-2004, 09:38 AM
And the Super Truck wars have begun! Question is, what is Chevy going to do now? That Silverado SS is nowhere near these trucks in terms of outright power and speed. And what about Toyota or Nissan making a niche truck? A Nissan Titan with a 500 hp turbo V-8 ...

blah
02-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Bad ass that supercooler thing. But 359 remember that the current L only has 385 HP, and it doenst get walked by the SRT.

The359
02-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Bad ass that supercooler thing. But 359 remember that the current L only has 385 HP, and it doenst get walked by the SRT.

But the new Lightning also weighs more, because the new F-150 itself is bigger.

Also Toyota is coming out with a Tacoma X-Runner an optional 300hp supercharged V6 and 6-speed manual, but the Tacoma is a light truck, unlike the Ram/Lightning/Silverado.

sickx
02-16-2004, 06:26 PM
The Lightning truck concept in 2003 was 450hp, but it had a "Supercooler" or something like that, which acted a bit like NO2, injecting supercooled air into the engine for a boost of 50hp for a few seconds to help in acceleration. But like I said, that only lasts a few seconds, so other then that, the truck will only be pushing 450hp.

Screw the 'supercooler' boost-thing... we're talking light mods to the blower pully and the like... and HP-per-$ for modifications. Give me forced air anyday.
Unless, of course, you don't mod your vehicles...then shame on you.

lambo4levi
02-21-2004, 06:09 PM
:| I dont know about you guys but i am a fan of a few things Dodge has produced.
1st All their vipers
2nd 2002 Dodge turbo diesel
3rd SRT-10 Viper and i would like to play with that truck for a day

but anyway the new styling of the trucks are like crap and its like riding around in a lumber wagon, my dad bought the 2002 fully loaded and then we went n test drove the fully loaded 2003-04' when it came out and dodge certainly outdid itself with the 2002 model. I have yet to see the SRT-10 Ram in person but most of he reviews i have seen seem to tell me the truck is not all that bad.

sickx
02-23-2004, 08:46 PM
:| I dont know about you guys but i am a fan of a few things Dodge has produced.
1st All their vipers
2nd 2002 Dodge turbo diesel
3rd SRT-10 Viper and i would like to play with that truck for a day

but anyway the new styling of the trucks are like crap and its like riding around in a lumber wagon, my dad bought the 2002 fully loaded and then we went n test drove the fully loaded 2003-04' when it came out and dodge certainly outdid itself with the 2002 model. I have yet to see the SRT-10 Ram in person but most of he reviews i have seen seem to tell me the truck is not all that bad.

Keep in mind that HD trucks are going to have a bone-jarring ride (unless loaded down) because they are designed to haul heavy objects. The muscle trucks have very different suspension tuning because they are designed to haul...other things. :P

ibetipsy
02-24-2004, 02:06 PM

As a RAM owner i beg to differ, A) the 20s really helped my trucks handling B) if mite be stupid but i love smoking BIG RIMS C) if that STUPID then im happy being a MORON D) u wanna know how much i love the idea of high powered pickups? i regularly struggle with parking a 22ft long 8.5ft wide truck in SI, Brooklyn, and Manhattan. Theres something about a powerful truck that NOTHING can replace

bowtie502
02-25-2004, 03:09 AM
The Ram is bad theres not doubt about it in my mind, but when you hear Viper you think high 11's low 12's stock, the srt-10 is fast ... for a truck but for the price and the hype of it all i think dodge really REALLY needs to put it on a diet, the truck weighs close to 5100lbs, c'mon, who tries to make something that heavy fast, lose some weight and it will become faster by the minute.. its too heavy, period. 8)
One thing that bothered me if the hood, looks awsome.... but its a faker, NOT Functional! thats just dumb what is this ... a v6 mustang?

sickx
02-25-2004, 02:56 PM
The Ram is bad theres not doubt about it in my mind, but when you hear Viper you think high 11's low 12's stock, the srt-10 is fast ... for a truck but for the price and the hype of it all i think dodge really REALLY needs to put it on a diet, the truck weighs close to 5100lbs, c'mon, who tries to make something that heavy fast, lose some weight and it will become faster by the minute.. its too heavy, period. 8)
One thing that bothered me if the hood, looks awsome.... but its a faker, NOT Functional! thats just dumb what is this ... a v6 mustang?

American rice at it's finest...or would that be "wheat"? :D

number77
02-27-2004, 05:34 PM
the hood is fake?? what a jip, if i paid that much i would like it to work, lol. have they started selling them yet?, cause i saw one about 4 weeks ago, looked nice on the road. the engine is suprisingly quiet, but maybe thats cause he was just cruising 8)

kn7671
03-03-2004, 08:51 AM
I really fail to see the need of a V-10 powered "Super Truck" as it might be described.

This defeats all technological advancements over the last 40 years. When you go to a drag race, do you see any highly competitive trucks being raced? Would John Force use an F-150 body on the Funny Car Class if allowed? NO.

I would much rather see Dodge/Chrysler develop a real sports-car for the masses. And not the Crossfire either. This is a Mercedes with a made for USA body. I won't buy it, nor any Chrysler product currently on the market. I have attempted to buy thier products, and as usual quality and dealer service is at the bottom of my list.

This just assures that Dodge selling a truck that will do 155mph is pointless. Spend the R&D money spent on this stupid truck and improve the quality of your cars first.

XKR
03-25-2004, 07:44 AM
I know the new lightning is supposed to be faster but you cant judge it until its released and besides the lightning has supercharger installed most customers who would buy a performance truck wouldn't keep it stock you can raise the HP on this truck easily it has a lot of potential. 8)

astonmartinandy
03-25-2004, 08:37 AM
"ultimate performance truck" surely an oxymoron??