PDA

View Full Version : Hammond and May might leave Top Gear?

essjay
07-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Click the link for the full story:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2247815/Top-Gear's-James-May-and-Richard-Hammond-%22may-leave%22-BBC-motoring-show.html

What do you guys think about it? Could it happen?

RC45
07-05-2008, 05:03 PM
About time someone stood up to Clarkson.

They should get whathe gets - period.

simona
07-05-2008, 05:19 PM
it would be a sad moment when they decide to leave but I applaud their effort to fight for what they deserve. Its hard to find such good chemistry with presenters that those of top gear.

I would not blame anything on Clarkson, anyone would do that same to maximize their worth.

RC45
07-05-2008, 06:07 PM
it would be a sad moment when they decide to leave but I applaud their effort to fight for what they deserve. Its hard to find such good chemistry with presenters that those of top gear.

I would not blame anything on Clarkson, anyone would do that same to maximize their worth.

Wrong.

I would blame EVERYTHING on Clarkson.

He is in the driving seat - he could have easily had a clause in his contract to require pay increase for his co-hosts.

Without the co-hosts, he would just become a has-been washed-out cynic.

styla21
07-05-2008, 08:19 PM
I'll bet $5 paypal that the contracts are renewed :)

RC45
07-05-2008, 08:36 PM

And Hamster and May will appear with nice shiny new Italian cars bought with their new found wealth.

xbeakerx
07-05-2008, 08:40 PM
i'll take that bet\

styla21
07-05-2008, 09:02 PM
i'll take that bet\

Now we're making threads interesting :)
We're on.

RC45
07-05-2008, 09:46 PM
PayPal me the money.... I'll hold it for you guys :twisted:

bluedemon
07-05-2008, 10:05 PM
It would be dumb on May's and Hammonds part to not sign new contracts, Top Gear is I believe the most popular show in Britain today and while I can understand wanting more money, Clarkson shouldn't be held responsible for the BBC and their negotiating abilities. I bet that this was just a story blown out of proportion because they haven't signed new contracts so the media decided to add something to it. May and Hammond don't want to commit career sucide quite yet.

styla21
07-05-2008, 10:10 PM
RC45 the escrow agent... I love it 8-)
New career?

MidEngine4Life
07-05-2008, 10:39 PM

Agreed. We've heard crazy rumors before that never happened. I feel this is more of the same stupid gossip. James' statement says it all.

"The only reason I haven't signed my contract yet is because it has not yet been finalised," he told The Daily Telegraph. "The current one doesn't expire until the end of July. I'm sure a new one will be sorted out soon."
He added: "I'm not stomping around about Jeremy's contract with BBC Worldwide. Quite frankly, I couldn't give a **** about it."

RC45
07-06-2008, 12:10 AM
^^ Sure he doesnt give a **** about it ;)

Sure, and the next thing he will say is he woudl turn down a higher offer :P

Many, many, many TV shows have broken up because the "star" negotiated a stupid paycheck, that left nothing for the rest of the cast.

In fact, it is like major league players going on strike, while the tickets to wathc them play are almost too expesive for fans to buy.

At this stage a show is on the decline.... pay cheques mean more to the cast than the show content.

MidEngine4Life
07-06-2008, 03:47 AM
Believe what you want but personally Id rather listen to the words the come out of the persons mouth rather than some stupid gossipers that should be doing better things with their time and money.

Brad and Angie are splitting up! Miley Cyrus is pregnant OMG! Seriously....get a life.

xbeakerx
07-06-2008, 04:26 AM
Many, many, many TV shows have broken up because the "star" negotiated a stupid paycheck, that left nothing for the rest of the cast.

At this stage a show is on the decline.... pay cheques mean more to the cast than the show content.

that almost happened with "Everybody Loves Raymond". Brad Garrett was getting paid less than everyone else. where everyone else was getting paid twice as much as he was per episode and he pretty much went on strike by himself. they ended up giving in and paying but its the principle of it.

RC45
07-06-2008, 04:42 AM
Believe what you want but personally Id rather listen to the words the come out of the persons mouth rather than some stupid gossipers that should be doing better things with their time and money.

What's to believe - the star wanted more, and the rest of the cast might be unsatisfied with their pisspoor paycheques - how is that so unbelievable?

Brad and Angie are splitting up! Miley Cyrus is pregnant OMG! Seriously....get a life.
One hopes you are suggesting the gossip papers get a life and not those of us with an opposing view to yours ;)

Kinxy
07-06-2008, 06:09 AM
Hammond and May should get compensations, absolutetly, but nowhere near Clarksson. He is the "Michael Jordan" of Top Gear. You can't pay everyone the same. There's a reason he makes the money he makes.

Shilder
07-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Fucking bad news, i like those guys !

torrentjunkie
07-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Sigh...it's always about the money

fordgt84
07-06-2008, 06:42 AM
while I can understand wanting more money, Clarkson shouldn't be held responsible for the BBC and their negotiating abilities. I bet that this was just a story blown out of proportion because they haven't signed new contracts so the media decided to add something to it. May and Hammond don't want to commit career sucide quite yet.

agreed.

Agreed. We've heard crazy rumors before that never happened. I feel this is more of the same stupid gossip. James' statement says it all.

agreed

my feelings exactly, tabloids seriously get on my nerves

torrentjunkie
07-06-2008, 06:47 AM
http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/132-tgtv-update/

I should be writing about this week's show, but if you'll excuse me I have to take a moment to say a few words about the stuff in the papers, which basically states Richard and James are leaving unless they get a million pounds a minute, and that Jeremy is already on four million pounds a minute and also trousers 98 percent of all the profits from Top Gear, Dr Who, Strictly Come Dancing, The Tweenies and Big Brother. I think from all the pieces I've read, the Gold medal for talking made up bollocks goes to the Mail, the Independent gets silver, and the rest can split the bronze.
Just for the record, Richard and James's contracts are up soon - no big deal, contracts do end - and their agents are negotiating new ones.
They want an amount, the BBC wants to pay a different amount - again, no surprises there, that's how business works every minute of every day - and there'll be horse trading until a number is reached.
But let me also say Richard and James have never ever ever asked to be on equal pay to Jeremy. They are the first to admit that he came up with the new show, and that he does nothing but this show and is the engine room of it, whereas they, quite understandably, like to do other projects as well as Top Gear, and therefore the pay should reflect that.
Secondly, all this stuff about Jeremy being on so much money that the bank manager at his local branch has had to reinforce the floor - it's bollocks.
Real bollocks.
Just look at the show for God's sake - it looks expensive because every penny we can put on screen goes on screen - the best cameramen, soundmen and editors, quality directors, grading equipment, locations, stunts, editing time - that's where the money goes.
If Jeremy was taking home six billion pounds a second - it may have gone up, I'll have to check the Daily Mail - we'd be filming a Scalextric track on the living room carpet.
Don't get me wrong, they're all in telly and they get good money when you look at the country as a whole, but there's no stupid avarice and greed going on here, and the stuff in the papers comes, frankly, out of their arses.
I'm British, and I loathe talking about other peoples' salaries, but it pisses me off that people who like Top Gear will read this crap and then think they're actually watching three cynical money machines in action.
Jeremy, Richard and James are mates, they bicker, and they all know Top Gear is the best job in the world.
I 'm reminded of this when we record the show on a Wednesday, and they sit in their crappy room in our crappy Portakabin (yes the one you saw on the trails really is our office) and rehearse the script together, and you get all the same cocking about and laughter you see on the show.
Then they read the papers about them all leaving and demanding millions, and then take the piss out of each other some more - how Jeremy would buy gold electric gates with a supercharger on them, how James would acquire a fleet of dangerous pre war planes so he can kill himself differently every week, and how country boy Hammond would fill his yard with more crap cars he'll never get round to restoring.
Old bangers brings me finally and neatly onto this week's show. I think our first two from this run have been solid but not classics, but, and I hope I'm not sounding boastful here, Sunday's show is back right up there.
The Bentley power test is a thing of beauty - stunning work from the camera boys, the Director and the Editors - and then there's the Alfa challenge.
We've always said on TG that you can't be a true petrolhead until you've owned an Alfa, so this week the boys are given a grand each, sent off to buy a car of their choosing, and then the adventures unfold.
Why do I think it's one of our best?
Well, the focus is bang on - basically the love you can have for a car, especially a shit, charismatic one that provides so many mishaps and laughs, and I also think it shows the three boys at their best.
Part 2 in particular is vintage Clarkson Hammond and May.
Let's not forget that at the heart of this show lies the chemistry between the chaps, and the best script in the world can't engineer the laughter and quarrels that spew forth.
Right, I'm off to get the papers. I might find out that Joan Armatrading is taking over from Richard.

^^Should offer some peace of mind:-)

fordgt84
07-06-2008, 06:58 AM
^ well there you go :-)

essjay
07-06-2008, 11:44 AM
http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/132-tgtv-update/

^^Should offer some peace of mind:-)

Good news. Thanks for that clearup.

MidEngine4Life
07-06-2008, 12:34 PM
One hopes you are suggesting the gossip papers get a life and not those of us with an opposing view to yours ;)

Of course ;)

dignews
07-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Im sure they will re-sign, well i god damn hope they do otherwise the best show on TV will be ruined :(