PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Hot Hatch

firdausasri
01-29-2004, 10:56 AM
I've always been a fan of hot hatches because they're cheap, simple and you get two cars at a price of one. On one hand they're as practical as normal hatchback, you use them to take the children to school but thanks to their big engines you could drive home like your trousers are on fire.

It reminds me when my parents have Mk1 Golf (converted 1.8 litre Audi engine), it's raw, simple, so bloody uncomfortable which makes me back then so embarrassing riding it around especially to school. But as we started to use saloons, now I realised something are missing – the zippy acceleration, sounds from rotty exhaust pipe and the passion of seeing it somehow begging the driver to slam on the accelerator so naturally in fact my mom started to be a little naughty when it comes to driving. I wish one day I'm going to drive and own one hot hatchback and that day is today fortunately.

So what happened to Waja? Well, quality aside, I've got to say, it's a nice car to drive around, nice entry level ICE always, when I had a hard day at work, I'll drive down with the sounds of coldplay but when I got a little bored, toying it around the corners is on the cards not forgetting it's always quite forgiving when you accidentally misjudged the road condition. But there're times, you need to realise that there're things that you can't own and that's why I bought a nice looking hatchback, the Satria GTi. I can't really afford a brand new and I don't want it to depreciate like rocket either, so I settled with year 2001 SGTi. But I must confess that I'm not so good in finding a good condition one and I've let the greediness comes to me. And since I've got the loan ready, the car with me and the only thing is missing is a review, and here it goes :

Exterior. From far, I dare to say everyone will agree it's GTi alright. I don't know how to say this but Proton surely did strike a gold to freshen up the old satria looks with Lotus help of course. The paint coat looks like new, something fishy eh? Unfortunately, yes. I suspect the car had an accident before on the left door because you can see the gap between the door trim and dashboard if you analytical enough unlike me. Silly old me ! Instead of stock rims, I get 16" Os Racing rims that looks exactly like Oz Superleggera, quite a looker but all are bent, two of which I managed to get it bent myself. I'm going to get it repaired before plonk in a set of new tyres to it. On the screens, I've it tinted with VKool Goldust all around, nice to drive it around during afternoons but not quite sure if the front can runaway from our infamous JPJ fellas. Then, there's this Medalion G exhaust muffler and one little badge that really give the game away.

Interior. The dashboard is not one of the best design around I must confess even with fake alluminium add ons but air-conditioning distribution is much much better than the Waja. Since mine is fitted with electronic air bags, the steering is as big as the one in 2 tone lorry … no kidding ! Instead of redish colour scheme like the Waja, it has blueish lighten up the control panel less irritating and easy on the eyes, less sporty somehow but there's 260km/h on the speedometer – can boost my ego further I'm sure. Other than that, I have a real alluminium gear knob, a set of Recaro nJoys, six speakers and tweeters and I suppose to have a CD player but the previous owner was so bad that she took it away from me and leaves just Waja like HU to toy around. And not surprising, the ICE is not up to par even with the Waja. I've to get a good head unit (maybe Eclipse) asap. Amps and subs can follow suit later. Boot. Just imagine this, a golf set won't be able to fit nicely goes to show how small it is but I've got no life, I'm single, I don't have kids and I don't need lots of space. Who's complaining then?

Engine. Codename 4G93P, the last one that comes with MMC ECU which is a good thing. It has 1834 cc, 133bhp on crank and 164Nw of torque (claimed), enough to toy some lowly Ah Bengs on the street I'm sure. Let's go on with the driving ok. Because I've exactly the same Recaro nJoys bolted on the Waja, settling in with right driving positioning is not really a problem except at times the steering touching my hips unless I set it higher up but then my visibility is affected. Problems ... problems ...

Slot the thin key in, wait for the "Engine Check" to disappear, then crank it up. The first impression, is the rotty growls from the Medalion muffler, slightly noiser than the stock "twin tail pipes" but nicer than anything can be offered by Wei Yip's ... hahaha

I also found the clutch to be the stiffest than any Protons but somehow I've got to leave with it at least for few years but thank god it's not as stiff as my uncles's Citroen BX. Just pray hard enough that Federal Highway won't get any worst than it's already is. Next, at times, you can't slot the gear smoothly especially in 1st and 2nd. Perhaps, I need to stay away from puddles from now on.

Power wise, from 4G18P to 4G93P and from 1205kg to 1000kg, is a leap jump to say the least. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear is enough tapau most cars around unless it's either Ferrari, Vtecs and turbos. But then, it's getting kinda coarse when climbing from 6,000rpm onwards, mind you the rev limiter is about 7,500rpm. Bugger, there's this friend of mine sparking me in getting a piggy bag ECU from Ralliart Group N specs for RM500. Friend, at the moment I don't feel the need to, hopefully, crossing fingers … Fuel consumption wise is a little hard giving me about 13 cents per km i.e. 400kms per tank. And if you see this car cruising around at 80km/h- 90km/h, you'll know the driver is trying to conserve fuel.

To boost the handling, they've put in 205/45/16 setup and stiffen the suspension a bit. Wrong fir, it's not a bit but A LOT! So how about the handling? Hmmm, with 205/45/16 and lower center gravity, for sure it does has higher cornering ability and take most corner flatter than any Protons but somehow it's not as forgiving as the Waja once you understeer off the road unless you lift off the throttle gently. No wonder there're so many SGTis have frontal collision history.

However, it has lighter rear end and that enable me to swing the tail out easier than the Waja when pull up the handbrake and you'll get better steering feel as a bonus. Since it shares the same platform as the outdated lancers and colts, it's no surprising that the high speed stability isn't as great and that includes NVH too. But having torquey engine and freaking expensive rear wing is enough to compensate although not by much but enough I must say.

Overall, I'd say it stands up to its GTi badge and hope it's successor will be even better. Rumours saying that Proton has started dismantling EP Type R and Clio will give you some sort of clue of the upcoming Proton GTi. Crossing fingers ....