PDA

View Full Version : Horrible reports of a US Top Gear (again)

HeilSvenska
01-15-2008, 01:58 PM
:-( This is terrible.

NBC has pedal to the metal with "Top Gear" remake
By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The popular BBC car show "Top Gear" is revving up a U.S. edition.

NBC has ordered a pilot for "Gear," which will be announced at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit (January 19-27). Casting is under way for hosts. As with the BBC version, it will offer a mix of cars, humor and celebrities.

The pilot will be filmed at a secret location around Los Angeles equipped with a race track and hangar where the show will be filmed in front of a audience.

NBC reality chief Craig Plestis said the network already is getting numerous inquiries from car companies that had heard rumblings about a U.S. remake.

"This is a favorite of all automobile companies as it shows their cars in such a great light," he said.

"Top Gear," which airs on BBC 2, originally launched in 1977 but has gained wider popularity since its relaunch in 2002.

Among "Gear's" popular segments that will be replicated in the U.S. are races where the hosts have to reach a destination using different modes of transportation, road tests, challenges like converting and refurbishing existing cars into anything from a stretch limo to an amphibian and celebrities racing a midsize car. ("American Idol's" Simon Cowell holds the record for fastest lap time with a Chevrolet Lacetti.)

The U.K. show is hosted by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May and also features the Stig, a masked test driver. The U.S. version also will feature a quartet of presenters, including a secret test driver.

The BBC originally mulled doing an American version with the original British hosts, but the idea fell through in the summer, mostly over Clarkson's unwillingness to spend extended periods of time away from his family as well as the show's growing ratings success in Britain.

In September 2006, Hammond was seriously injured while taping a test run with a jet-propelled drag-racing car. The episode featuring footage of the crash opened the show's highest-rated season to date, with the season finale drawing BBC 2's biggest ratings in a decade.

Australian multicultural broadcaster SBS recently bought the rights to produce a local version of "Top Gear."

In addition to the show, the British "Gear" franchise includes a popular companion car-themed Web site as well as Top Gear magazine.
Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

ferrari550
01-15-2008, 02:25 PM
It is bad news, they will ruin the show. But for some reason i can see Jay Leno being the main presenter. He has a love and passion for cars and is leaving the tonight show this year.

xbeakerx
01-15-2008, 02:35 PM
that would be good choice....

gangajas
01-15-2008, 03:41 PM
They were also going to make a version of another great British TV show, The IT Crowd, but it's been cancelled. So who knows what is going to happen with this.

Plague
01-15-2008, 04:33 PM
What can they ruin? UK TG will stay the same and we will be watching it like before, won't we?

unwilling
01-15-2008, 06:17 PM
I have faith. the British TG won't, I imagine, be sullied by the US TG. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

styla21
01-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Australia already attempted at loosely "copying" the TG format. And it sucked. I hope the American's don't learn this same lesson the hard way. I was actually embarrassed for the presenters; watching them attempt to mimic the British presenters. Doing that puts you almost at the bottom of the journalistic-barrell IMO. :?:

m0ng0l01dz
01-16-2008, 03:09 AM
Top Gear only works because we love the presenters. We'll watch anything with one of them in it. Okay fine the cars have a lot to do with it as well, as an American I don't really need to see whats hot from Dodge, I'm interested in seeing what I wouldn't get to see otherwise, and hear JC say something outlandish, and watch as Hamsters mind deteriorates, and listen to Cap'n Slow mutter obscure checklists off before he starts a car. Jay Leno? is he willing to put his Stanley Steamer into a four wheel drift?

rkplover
01-16-2008, 05:04 AM
Copy is always a copy and in this case it will most likely be a bad copy.

xbeakerx
01-16-2008, 06:17 PM
i'm not really supporting it but they did it with xfactor(american idol) and look at that but then again thats a whole another ballgame.

styla21
01-16-2008, 11:08 PM
i'm not really supporting it but they did it with xfactor(american idol) and look at that but then again thats a whole another ballgame.

X factor's content is more the contestants, not the presenters.
As much as the cars are a significant feature of Top Gear, it's the story built around them to create a segment, and the presenters themselves that make the show. Without this... it would be, well, fifth gear? :-D

xbeakerx
01-17-2008, 01:34 AM
yeah i watched a couple of the 5th gear episodes and wasnt impressed. i do like tiff but thats no reason to watch the program.

they will probably get some shitty nascrap driver to be the stig.

volkoff
01-17-2008, 09:17 AM
^
And will be talking about how great and economical american cars are.

xbeakerx
01-17-2008, 09:26 AM
^
And will be talking about how great and economical american cars are.

actually it will be a comical Motorweek. BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRING!

GunnyD
01-17-2008, 09:43 AM
It will be a total disaster, Top Gear just won't be Top Gear, without JC, The Hamster, and Captain Slow. It will end up like Motorweek on PBS. Hopefully it will go by the wayside like Viva' Laughlin, and Anchorwoman. 1 episode and then canceled. Even though I am an American I have to agree with the guys on TG that we just can't make a proper car. Hell, I have a Monte Carlo with a 3.4 liter engine that boasts a huge 170bhp and 17mpg. Whoopee, Jeremy got the Audi A8 TDI to get 40 mpg and run 800 miles all that with a 326bhp 4.2 liter engine and twin turbos. 99% of American cars are rubbish. As I fear the American version will be.:-(

graywolf624
01-17-2008, 06:39 PM
99% of American cars are rubbish.
While I agree that the show will proably be rubbish since its hard to manufacturer lightening a second time, I think this statement overlooks an important point. 99percent of all cars everywhere are rubbish. The percentage doesnt change no matter what country you go too so anywhere would have to show cars worldwide.

edit: the italians have fiat, the germans have volkswagon , the brits have jag.. need i go on with the crap brands we all want to pretend dont exist.

gangajas
01-17-2008, 06:51 PM
While I agree that the show will proably be rubbish since its hard to manufacturer lightening a second time, I think this statement overlooks an important point. 99percent of all cars everywhere are rubbish. The percentage doesnt change no matter what country you go too so anywhere would have to show cars worldwide.

edit: the italians have fiat, the germans have volkswagon , the brits have jag.. need i go on with the crap brands we all want to pretend dont exist.

I would not mind to own some crappy VW Paethon W12 or Jaguar XKR :-D

rb378wby
01-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Sorry You won't replace May Hammond and Clarkson even if you tried.

They should be granted sainthood for bringing us the incredible UK Show Top Gear.

Remember Pop Idol moved to the US with Simon and American Idol. AMERCIAN IDOL SUCKS!

Which is why we watch UK Top Gear. The caliber of the show is so much more than what is possible here in the US.

God Bless Top Gear!

volkoff
01-17-2008, 08:04 PM
I would not mind to own some crappy VW Paethon W12 or Jaguar XKR :-D

Аctually I would't mind almost any volkswagen - most of them are great cars, maybe a bit expencive, but great. Shure some of them have a rubish drive, but the bild quality is allways very good, as in all the german cars. Maybe with the exeption of Merc, witch was poisoned and spoiled by the american Chrysler.

And what Im saying have nothing to do with the fact that Im living in Germany now)

graywolf624
01-17-2008, 08:22 PM
but the bild quality is allways very good, as in all the german cars. Maybe with the exeption of Merc, witch was poisoned and spoiled by the american Chrysler.
I dont know if I agree with that. While the golf itself has a good reputation, VW has a long reputation for rubbish long term reliability. Don't confuse initial build quality with reliability and quality. Unless the US sold VWs are different I know quite a few people that wont go within 10 feet of one. Mercedes' down fall predated Chrysler, at least if you ask my uncle a former Merc mechanic.

But I digress.. One could make this same quote
I would not mind to own some crappy VW Paethon W12 or Jaguar XKR
About the premier car in almost any manufacturers lineup. The W12 sold for crap and the XKR has reliability problems.. That being said.. similar to the corvette for gm, the gt for ford, the viper for dodge, etc... Youd be lieing if you didnt say youd take that one car.

But that doesnt make up for the xtypes, the rabbits, the bugs, the stypes, the neons, the camrys, the fusions, and the cavaliers of the world. They still exisit and we still ignore them which was really the point of this dicussion. No matter which company makes them, they are still crap. Thats the average car buyer, whether you want to realize that or not.

The average american car is a camry.. the average european car is what? a mondeo? Yeah big jump there...

fcukven1
01-20-2008, 06:01 AM
i think instead of them making another top sloppy, why dont they pay the bbc rights to broadcast top gear here in north america.

xbeakerx
01-20-2008, 11:20 AM
they do... its on BBC America. i watch every sunday at 8pm

Cubits
01-29-2008, 12:48 PM
SBS is having a stab at making an Australian version of top gear, and unlike the American one it won't be a complete sellout. I've applied to host, shooting begins at the end of April, it'll be out near the end of the year.

Apparently it's got a nice budget, and if i can get the gig i assure you it won't be garbage. If, on the other hand, they go with a "usual suspect" like Grant Denyer, then i will personally fire-bomb their studio to save the TG name. :P

nthfinity
01-29-2008, 02:35 PM
SBS is having a stab at making an Australian version of top gear, and unlike the American one it won't be a complete sellout. I've applied to host, shooting begins at the end of April, it'll be out near the end of the year.

Apparently it's got a nice budget, and if i can get the gig i assure you it won't be garbage. If, on the other hand, they go with a "usual suspect" like Grant Denyer, then i will personally fire-bomb their studio to save the TG name. :P

good luck on being hired!

but joke or not... firebombing threats on a forum isn't good form :thumbdown:

MidEngine4Life
01-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Top Gear only works because we love the presenters. We'll watch anything with one of them in it. Okay fine the cars have a lot to do with it as well, as an American I don't really need to see whats hot from Dodge, I'm interested in seeing what I wouldn't get to see otherwise, and hear JC say something outlandish, and watch as Hamsters mind deteriorates, and listen to Cap'n Slow mutter obscure checklists off before he starts a car. Jay Leno? is he willing to put his Stanley Steamer into a four wheel drift?

I agree 100%. If "Gear" is to succeed then they need to search long and hard for the perfect presenters or the show is doomed

Cubits
01-30-2008, 09:01 AM
good luck on being hired!

but joke or not... firebombing threats on a forum isn't good form :thumbdown:

It's just there to test the NSA's system for monitoring every single transmission in the world. They do, you know...

George W Bush Terrorism Bomb 9/11!

vexor
01-30-2008, 10:49 AM
It's just there to test the NSA's system for monitoring every single transmission in the world. They do, you know...

George W Bush Terrorism Bomb 9/11!

Get back on topic and take the GWB statements somewhere else or I will be forced to close this thread

Cubits
01-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Get back on topic and take the GWB statements somewhere else or I will be forced to close this thread

You people aren't up on your conspiracy theories, are you? Lighten up already! :p

Ok, on topic...

Uuummm, right, the American version, "Gear".

Looks to be hopeless, eh? Unless it's hosted on PBS, it'll be hard for them to resist the cash-waving of the car companies. Since NBC has the rights, and they've already dropped the "reality TV" phrase, it is all but doomed. Expect it to be hosted by former reality show contestants (you know, qualified people, like winners of big brother...).

For the Australian version, i want to be partnered up with a summernats enthusiast (ie, ute owner), and maybe someone with a background in design. Ah, the fun we'll have at each other's expense.

blue8
01-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Speculation: Jay Leno or Jerry Seinfeld to host US Top Gear
If you found the news that NBC had struck a deal for an American version of Top Gear promising, the latest speculation on candidates for hosting the show should have you salivating. The original British program on the BBC uses a mix of automotive journalists and television personalities to make the dynamic and beloved team of hosts. Since Clarkson, May and Hammond nixed the idea of hosting the American show as well, BBC producers then began interviewing American automotive journalists - um, I'm still waiting for my call - in an effort to imbue the new show with some "journalistic credibility", but Inside Line reports that the BBC called several of the candidates this week and told them they were taking a "celebrity direction".

The development has inevitably led to speculation over who NBC could sign to host the show, and like a racing team looking for a new driver, it all comes down to availability. Jay Leno's contract to host the Tonight Show, it has been pointed out, is set to expire next year, and his credentials as a certified car nut are unimpeachable. Another candidate is Jerry Seinfed, an avid Porsche enthusiast who's got a lot of time on his hands since his sitcom went off the air. Both are huge celebrities and genuine gear-heads with long-standing relationships with NBC. We also hear Scott Speed is available if they're looking for The Stig's American cousin... or a new Captain Slow.

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 12:57 AM
these are the people i would call to take the spots of the EUR Top Gear in America...

Jay Leno - Jeremy Clarkson
Tim Allen - Richard Hammond
Jason Priestley - James May
Rhys Millen - The Stig

just an idea, all of them are car guys and they can all drive the piss out cars

nthfinity
02-01-2008, 02:16 AM
these are the people i would call to take the spots of the EUR Top Gear in America...

Jay Leno - Jeremy Clarkson
Tim Allen - Richard Hammond
Jason Presley - James May
Rhys Millen - The Stig

just an idea, all of them are car guys and they can all drive the piss out cars

Jay or Seinfeld would fit that bill nicely... as would Tim Allen~ perspective JC
Ryan Secrest~ ug... kinda pop like... kinda gay.... kinda Richard Hamster, including in physical stature (small) --- could easily be the outsider view
some 'well spoken gentelman' who fancies cars

Robbie Gordon as the Stig :thumbup:

79TA
02-01-2008, 02:49 AM
they do... its on BBC America. i watch every sunday at 8pm

It's just too bad that the ones on BBC America are from a season or two ago and are sometimes edited a bit. One time when they aired the one with the FQ-400 feature they left out the top gear drag race against the cheap diesel rental car (which of course the torqueless FQ-400 lost) as not to offend. They also did that same bit of editing when they showed them on the Discovery Channel. lame.

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 02:58 AM
Jay or Seinfeld would fit that bill nicely... as would Tim Allen~ perspective JC
Ryan Secrest~ ug... kinda pop like... kinda gay.... kinda Richard Hamster, including in physical stature (small) --- could easily be the outsider view

couldnt deal with seinfeld... to much of a comedian

fuck ryan seacrap. he is infecting everything now. i just want to smack that stupid smile off his face. stick with american idol shit

like i said, Jay Leno, Time Allen and Jason Priestley

79TA
02-01-2008, 03:00 AM

Amen! :thumbup:

HeilSvenska
02-01-2008, 03:06 AM

Agreed! :-)

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 03:12 AM
The Stig couldn't be a NASCAR driver. all they know how to drive is left...:mrgreen:

hell the track will probably be a oval track if they do that... most americans wouldn't know what to do if they saw someone turning left and right on a race track.

they'd be like
"what's he doing, Ethel?"
"why is he jerking that car around?"
"where are the high banks and what the hell is a lam---bo---genny?"

i'm not the biggest NASCAR fan if you didnt notice...

79TA
02-01-2008, 03:20 AM
The Stig couldn't be a NASCAR driver. all they know how to drive is left...:mrgreen:

hell the track will probably be a oval track if they do that... most americans would know what to do if they saw someone turning left and right on a race track.

they'd be like

Wow, you do realize that Robby Gordon is better known as a Baja legend right? Let's not forget that he is also a former Indy car racer. He's proven himself to be more than capable in events such as the Dakar Rally. Also, as far as NASCAR goes, he's one of the "road course aces." He can more than hold his own against the likes of Ron Fellows (my other favorite driver) in a stock car. What's more though, is that he has professionally driven just about every type of race vehicle known to man and, therefore, would be more flexible than most race drivers who have spent most of their careers in one specific type of car on one type of surface. He would make a great test driver for the myriad of cars (and perhaps events) thrown at him.

It looks like you left out a "not" in your sentence.

HeilSvenska
02-01-2008, 03:23 AM

hell the track will probably be a oval track if they do that... most americans would know what to do if they saw someone turning left and right on a race track.

they'd be like

i'm not the biggest NASCAR fan if you didnt notice...

Please. You don't even know who Robby Gordon is. He's pretty much done everything short of F1. Open wheel, Sports car, Dakar... He's a Jack of all trades.

And NASCAR drivers are quite talented.

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 03:23 AM
Wow, you do realize that Robby Gordon is better known as a Baja legend right? Let's not forget that he is also a former Indy car racer. He's proven himself to be more than capable in events such as the Dakar Rally. Also, as far as NASCAR goes, he's one of the "road course aces." He can more than hold his own against the likes of Ron Fellows (my other favorite driver) in a stock car. What's more though, is that he has professionally driven just about every type of race vehicle known to man and, therefore, would be more flexible than most race drivers who have spent most of their careers in one specific type of car on one type of surface. He would make a great test driver for the myriad of cars (and perhaps events) thrown at him.

It looks like you left out a "not" in your sentence.

thanks... I inserted the "not" (its 2am)

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 03:29 AM
i'm just saying that it should be an unknown. i suggested Rhys Millen. he is known by his dad and his drifting but not to the mainstream public. we shouldnt resort to anyone that would be a celebrity(hence NASCAR drivers). you pop in robbie gordon in as "The Stig", he mine as well don't even put a helmet on.

HeilSvenska
02-01-2008, 03:40 AM
^It's not like what we think will actually happen. I'd rather not have any non-UK Top Gear. And I know who the Millens are. We all probably do anyways. Robby Gordon's pretty popular, but he's not one of the "mainstream" NASCAR drivers like Jeff or Jimmie Johnson. And the Stig only worked because his very existence was a joke. I'd be very much happy if they just had Robby Gordon as himself doing lap times for the US show. More so than having a US Stig.

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 03:47 AM
^It's not like what we think will actually happen. I'd rather not have any non-UK Top Gear. And I know who the Millens are. We all probably do anyways. Robby Gordon's pretty popular, but he's not one of the "mainstream" NASCAR drivers like Jeff or Jimmie Johnson. And the Stig only worked because his very existence was a joke. I'd be very much happy if they just had Robby Gordon as himself doing lap times for the US show. More so than having a US Stig.

the great things about "The Stig" is that you cant be bias against him. you dont know his background and you dont know what he has raced in, you just know he can kill the track everytime he gets in the drivers seat. thats why he has the best track time of any driver on Top Gear.

HeilSvenska
02-01-2008, 03:59 AM
the great things about "The Stig" is that you cant be bias against him. you dont know his background and you dont know what he has raced in, you just know he can kill the track everytime he gets in the drivers seat. thats why he has the best track time of any driver on Top Gear.

Then they shouldn't bother with the Stig. The Stig should remain in the UK version only. And your argument is absurd. You're saying that if we don't know who the Stig is, his track time will be best. It doesn't matter if we know who the Stig is or not, as long as he sets consistent lap time. The secrecy behind the identity of the Stig just makes us think that he's the best driver for the job. Whatever we think shouldn't affect the performance of any professional driver.

79TA
02-01-2008, 04:00 AM
Yea, Robby would make a great Stig. There's no reason he couldn't keep his identity a secret. He isn't high profile enough to be stalked by the NASCAR press. People are used to him flying back and forth all over anyway. Nevertheless, it's not likely to happen. Also, I don't find myself biased against a test driver unless he seems to be driving poorly (perhaps on purpose to make a comparable car look better). Just watch Best Motoring or some such show for examples . . . oh I missed the apex . . . 4 times and then went way wide . . .

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 04:00 AM
Then they shouldn't bother with the Stig. The Stig should remain in the UK version only. And your argument is absurd. You're saying that if we know who the Stig is, his track time will be best. It doesn't matter if we know who the Stig is or not, as long as he sets consistent lap time. The secrecy behind the identity of the Stig just makes us think that he's the best driver for the job.

then you might as well call the show "Fifth Gear"...

HeilSvenska
02-01-2008, 04:04 AM
Fifth Gear's problem is not that we know who Jason, Tiff, and Vicky are. Its problem is that it has a small time slot, limited funding, and lame (when it comes to the funnies anyway, they're good on track) presenters.

79TA
02-01-2008, 04:05 AM

Call it whatever you want. The UK Top Gear cannot be replicated to the same level of greatness. He makes a good point. There isn't a terribly good reason for the US to have its own Stig. I'd still like to see a Stig though. However, I'd rather just have NBC or some network just broadcast current Top Gear as it is shown in Britain. Maybe, they can put something else in during the British celebrity interviews if they feel it's "too British."

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 04:06 AM
Fifth Gear's problem is not that we know who Jason, Tiff, and Vicky are. Its problem is that it has a small time slot, limited funding, and lame (when it comes to the funnies anyway, they're good on track) presenters.

i just think if they do a US version of Top Gear. it will be a disaster. it will probably be a hugely funded Fifth Gear then...:laugh:

79TA
02-01-2008, 04:09 AM
Somehow I don't see US Top Gear getting the same "huge funding" as the original version.

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 04:10 AM
the thing about taking "The Stig" out of the equation. your taking out one of the things that everyone loves about the show. its like taking out geroge from seinfeld or curly out of the three stooges. its just not the same but then again its a copy.

79TA
02-01-2008, 04:11 AM
The Stig is great but not integral to a copy of the show that will likely flop regardless.

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 04:12 AM
Somehow I don't see US Top Gear getting the same "huge funding" as the original version.

its NBC, they will probably go WAAAAAAY over the top to make it better and flasher to the american public.

79TA
02-01-2008, 04:12 AM
its NBC, they will probably go WAAAAAAY over the top to make it better and flasher to the american public.

I'll believe that when they make their own reusable space shuttle. :laugh:

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 04:13 AM
I'll believe that when they make their own reusable space shuttle. :laugh:

hell yeah:laugh::laugh::laugh:

HeilSvenska
02-01-2008, 04:13 AM
It really can't. Not with the show making fun of every potential car company sponsors, which it rightfully should.

I really don't care unless they can make it good. Hopefully it will be like the US version of The Office and takes on an identity of its own so that we can enjoy both the US and the UK versions without comparing them all the time.

As for presenters, I have no quarrel about Leno being a presenter, but someone mentioned Jason Priestly? I just looked him up, and I just wanted to say no one from Beverly Hills 90210's going to be on MY version of Top Gear. And Jerry Seinfeld's annoying too. :-P

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 04:17 AM
As for presenters, I have no quarrel about Leno being a presenter, but someone mentioned Jason Priestly? I just looked him up, and I just wanted to say no one from Beverly Hills 90210's going to be on MY version of Top Gear. :-P

i did. have you ever seen the original episodes of "Rides"? he has a great presenters voice and he races GT. he almost died from a car crash a couple years back.

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 04:20 AM
here is the link to the crash

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/motorsports/news/2002/08/11/priestley_injured_ap/

http://www.kbox.ca/upload/files/67/priestly2.jpg

HeilSvenska
02-01-2008, 04:27 AM
here is the link to the crash

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/motorsports/news/2002/08/11/priestley_injured_ap/

Maybe that's a good reason against hiring him, then.

79TA
02-01-2008, 04:28 AM
hehe, Jason Priestly will NOT be the Stig.

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 04:30 AM
Maybe that's a good reason against hiring him, then.

"Luyendyk said Priestley appeared to have driven through "oil-dry," an absorbent material that had been spread on part of the track about 10 minutes earlier to soak up oil from another car."

HeilSvenska
02-01-2008, 04:33 AM
"Luyendyk said Priestley appeared to have driven through "oil-dry," an absorbent material that had been spread on part of the track about 10 minutes earlier to soak up oil from another car."

So? What do you want me to say?

I'm tired and wake up and go to school in... 5 hours. G'night.

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 04:34 AM
hehe, Jason Priestly will NOT be the Stig.

didnt say he would be... just saying he would make a good presenter with his racing exp. and car knowledge.

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 04:35 AM
So? What do you want me to say?

I'm tired and wake up and go to school in... 5 hours. G'night.

just making a point, thats all... i have to be at work in 5 hours also... gnight

graywolf624
02-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Latest rumour is Seinfield and Leno? Might make a good show, but not a good top gear.

nthfinity
02-01-2008, 08:53 AM
As I said.... Robbie Gordon is my favorite American driver out there. The man is a genious behind the wheel of everything he touches... man, remember Paris Dakar 2005??? holy crap at his stage times... first time in any professional rally event, and he was taking it to Colin McRae may he RIP.

R. Millen is hardly talented. Give any car buff a month with a big budget to drift, and he will suddenly be an unknown. His dad would be much better... but isn't the kind of guy who could lap so quickly as Robbie Gordon IMHO. Grip racer > Drift showboat ;) ~~IMO

As to my request for Ryan Seabiscuit.... he is a very similar character to Hammond. And would play the "odd man out" VERY well.

the problem with your hero of 3 is that they are all primary spotlight characters... and would not share the camera/show well at all. That is why TG2 works so well... the dichotomy of personalities ;)

xbeakerx
02-01-2008, 09:29 AM
As I said.... Robbie Gordon is my favorite American driver out there. The man is a genious behind the wheel of everything he touches... man, remember Paris Dakar 2005??? holy crap at his stage times... first time in any professional rally event, and he was taking it to Colin McRae may he RIP.

R. Millen is hardly talented. Give any car buff a month with a big budget to drift, and he will suddenly be an unknown. His dad would be much better... but isn't the kind of guy who could lap so quickly as Robbie Gordon IMHO. Grip racer > Drift showboat ;) ~~IMO

As to my request for Ryan Seabiscuit.... he is a very similar character to Hammond. And would play the "odd man out" VERY well.

the problem with your hero of 3 is that they are all primary spotlight characters... and would not share the camera/show well at all. That is why TG2 works so well... the dichotomy of personalities ;)

i dont think there will be a problem with the spotlight with a jay leno and tim allen top gear. if you think about it they just about split up the presenting of top gear now. i'd definitely give Leno the Clarkson seat and Allen the Hammond seat. Tim allen has actually dropped off the map so he not much of a A-list celeb anymore but leno is.

Rhys Millen doesnt just drift he has done hill climbs and Rally. he has also is a high-demand stunt driver.

i wasnt trying to start any arguements. just suggesting some other driver and presenters.

who do you think would be the three presenters??

jb747
02-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Top Gear is Top Gear. An American or Australian copy will be something else. Something less. Which I won't be watching.

enzoferrari
02-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Time to time