PDA

View Full Version : noob question about camber

geekdiggy
01-27-2004, 09:53 AM
on rear wheel drive gt cars does negative camber affect the car's straight-line speed? i know it'll upset the stability but what about speed?

SFDMALEX
01-27-2004, 10:38 AM
You can read about camber here http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

and yes it does effect the top speed.

scubywrxr
01-27-2004, 02:31 PM
reduces top speed but increases cornering speed from personal experience :D

redbaron
01-27-2004, 03:05 PM
It will also reduce the traction in a straight line because you've got a smaller tyre- to-roadcontact. Watch out, when you got too much camber you will get a much larger brakedistance!! You will also got more tyrewear, the tyresurface will get a sawtooth-shape after a while.

scubywrxr
01-27-2004, 05:13 PM
^yes thats so true ..especially if u run 18in wheels and lo pros on a 4wd car... damn scooby eats tyres like a fat kid eats cake :mrgreen:

I have reached a compromise with just 1.8 degrees negative camber at the front and 1.5 deg neg at the rear.. definitely killed understeer and improved turn in. The scooby hunts for the apex like a fox with a firecracker up its arse :mrgreen: .. I think the lower springs helped a bit in this dept as well! :wink:

coombsie66
01-27-2004, 06:41 PM
^^ scuby, u got adjustable top mounts and the camber measurement equipment? U just tinker around wiv the settings till it felt right?? I want to adjust my rear (as thats the only one adjustable standard) but i dont want to affect tyre wear to drastically.

jon_s
01-27-2004, 07:07 PM
you will need to do something, as the 18's will have put it out a bit!

coombsie66
01-27-2004, 07:16 PM
Well, after lowering it, it was verymuch understeer on the limit handling, but now with the 18's the turn in has sharpened right up, and its become more neutral, so im reluctant to tinker for fear of messing up the balance.