PDA

View Full Version : New DeLorean production confirmed

TNT
08-23-2007, 07:49 AM
John DeLorean's brainchild had its fifteen minutes of fame in the Back to the Future trilogy as Doc Browns's home-made flux-capacitor time machine. The DeLorean DMC-12 was produced between early 1981 and late 1982 and sold approximately 9200 units of which now about 6500 remain on the roads. In 1982, after John DeLorean was accused of cocaine trafficing, the DeLorean Motor Company closed its doors and all parts were shipped off to a warehouse in Texas, which eventually were bought by the current owners in 1995. For twelve years now the new DeLorean Company has been supplying and manufacturing parts for the classic DeLorean cars.
Today the Detroit News delivers the good news that the DeLorean will go back into production, at a rate of one or two hand-built units per month. Production will commence in the third quarter of next year with first deliveries expected in the first quarter of 2009 and should cost USD 57,500.
Stylingwise the car remains mostly unchanged from the original, but engine and interior will get updated to what is standard for this day and age. Five dealerships in the USA and one in Europe will have the new DeLorean for sale when they roll of the production line.

blinkmeat
08-23-2007, 08:26 AM
1 or 2 a month seems too small of a profit to bother :roll: :?:

TNT
08-23-2007, 10:13 AM
i didn't know there was a demand.......

666fast
08-23-2007, 07:27 PM
This actually is an intresting story, when the plant shut down in Ireland they still had parts to build somewhere around a few thousand cars? The parts got bought by some Americans and most of them are in Georgia and Cailifornia.

Whereas, the molds were tossed into the ocean. No joke.

Duder I work with isn't happy about this, he owns an original one with all the rare options. He's thinking that making more might devalue his car somewhat. Especially if they build some of the rarer options.

acmarttin
08-23-2007, 07:40 PM
I wonder what they consider to be an appropriate interior for todays market considering the interior (especially the instrument cluster) looked a lot like my old 1991 Ford Ranger pickup truck (R.I.P.)

RC45
08-23-2007, 08:07 PM
http://www.delorean.com/

Currently HQed outside Houston ;)

I might like one - if we could shoe-horn the LS7 into it

graywolf624
08-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Especially if they build some of the rarer options.

Can you order it with the ultra rare 2 kilos of Cocaine option?

Didn't old John smuggle the drugs in the seats or something?

I wonder what they consider to be an appropriate interior for todays market considering the interior (especially the instrument cluster) looked a lot like my old 1991 Ford Ranger pickup truck (R.I.P.)

Even worse would be what they consider appropriate engine for todays market considering the original engine came out of a Peugot and had less bhp then an actual horse.

RC45
08-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Even worse would be what they consider appropriate engine for todays market considering the original engine came out of a Peugot and had less bhp then an actual horse.

I seem to recall they were rated as about 190 baby-horse-power - approximately 46 regular horse power - good for 88mph ;) :P

dutchmasterflex
08-23-2007, 09:49 PM
So they are just going to re-make the old models? Better off just sticking the body onto a Vette chassis :lol:

Car and Driver did a "movie car" test and couldn't even get the DeLorean up to 88 mph with its crap engine.

Mattk
08-26-2007, 01:32 AM
I seem to recall they were rated as about 190 baby-horse-power - approximately 46 regular horse power - good for 88mph

At least it could travel through time! :P

I find it baffling why they are making the same old car with a fresh interior. At least give it more grunt with a solid engine.

RC45
08-26-2007, 01:41 AM
I seem to recall they were rated as about 190 baby-horse-power - approximately 46 regular horse power - good for 88mph

At least it could travel through time! :P

I find it baffling why they are making the same old car with a fresh interior. At least give it more grunt with a solid engine.

Because that is exactly what they are doing "building the cars from parts left over from the factory and refurbing cars they purchase".

Nowhere does it say "making a new DeLorean"

nthfinity
08-26-2007, 03:28 AM

I seem to recall they were rated as about 190 baby-horse-power - approximately 46 regular horse power - good for 88mph ;) :P

Actually.... what is odd is that the producers of BTTF series had several DeLorean's which they were using... and to avoid having to fix them all the time, and have good throttle response for misc. scenes... had them fit with a Chevy V6 (or was it V8) in any case... it was a much stronger reliable engine... the more i think about it, it was an 8 cylinder.

dutchmasterflex
08-27-2007, 12:44 PM
http://jalopnik.com/cars/woodward-dream-cruise/first-newly-built-delorean-shown-on-abc-morning-show-293721.php?autoplay=true

first "new" delorean debuts on morning show.

light stainless steel? ha!

ZfrkS62
08-27-2007, 04:12 PM

Actually.... what is odd is that the producers of BTTF series had several DeLorean's which they were using... and to avoid having to fix them all the time, and have good throttle response for misc. scenes... had them fit with a Chevy V6 (or was it V8) in any case... it was a much stronger reliable engine... the more i think about it, it was an 8 cylinder.

I believe it was the 4.3L V6. I don't think there was enough room for 2 more cylinders back there.

graywolf624
08-27-2007, 06:02 PM
^ I've seen a north star (gm 4.3L out of a Caddilac) equipped Delorean. Not saying it was in the movie though.

acmarttin
08-27-2007, 06:04 PM
http://www.delorean.com/

Currently HQed outside Houston ;)

Well the list of "new build" DeLorean options was a funny read. My favorite highlights:

- a 6 month / 6,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty
- a "high performance" engine upgrade to 197 hp. for about $5,800 USD
- a 140 MPH speedometer "performance upgrade" for $300 USD
- Xenon headlights for only $250! what a bargain!

I don't think I'd want to add anything to the $57k base price :?

Vansquish
08-28-2007, 08:31 AM
There's another DeLorean out there with a 20B tri-rotor...looks pretty quick.... YouTube

ARMAN
08-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Is that a joke? :lol: I mean there are really so many BTTF funs that will actually buy it? I personally think its incredibly bad looking but thats only my opinion :bah:

here is Modern Marvels about delorean YouTube

ARMAN
08-28-2007, 02:44 PM
its sure is an 80's icon car, the only thing is if they will be able to sell them for 57.000$... is there really so many fans willing to pay THAT price? :?

nthfinity
08-28-2007, 03:59 PM
http://www.is-mad.com/upload/userfiles/nthfinity/Delorean_Detroit.JPG

It does look fantastic!

dangerously_cool
09-04-2007, 06:46 AM
So do the the owners live in CA though? My roommate last year swears the owners are his neighbors. We drove by the house and there were two deloreans sitting in the driveway at least...

If they're upgrading the engine for 5k to 197 hp that's pretty weak imo, hardly up to the times considering my 03 accord has 240...albeit no flux capacitor.

666fast
09-04-2007, 04:58 PM
its sure is an 80's icon car, the only thing is if they will be able to sell them for 57.000$... is there really so many fans willing to pay THAT price? :?

With a proper engine, why not? You're buying in 2007 a car from the 80s that you know it has a relative value on the market... at least on the paper :wink: :?

People are dumb, so yes, they will pay that much. According to the dude I work with, it was almost $15k to replace the hood and a fender on his after some lady nailed him.

gigdy
09-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Especially if they build some of the rarer options.

Can you order it with the ultra rare 2 kilos of Cocaine option?

Didn't old John smuggle the drugs in the seats or something?

He was cleared of all charges and never went to jail. It was all part of a sting operation against him.

graywolf624
09-06-2007, 07:42 AM
He was cleared of all charges and never went to jail. It was all part of a sting operation against him.
He was cleared due to procedural error, not because of innocence.

When did you move to ATL?

graywolf624
09-06-2007, 07:42 AM
He was cleared due to procedural error, not because of innocence.

When did you move to ATL?

obdr
09-06-2007, 09:41 AM
they should just keep that amazing exterior, hire Audi to do the interior, upgrade the suspension and give it AC, and then put a Z06 engine in it............THEN Id buy one for $57 G