PDA

View Full Version : What is the most over rated and under rated us cars

pagani
08-17-2007, 07:34 AM
What do think are the most overrated and underrated us cars.
Example overrated: the cadillac escalade(pimp moblie stupid rapper whit no taste ca and ford lightning pickup truck to heavy not good handling.

underrated: pontiac fiero mid engine us lightweight sports car and the amx amx javalin under rated muscle car trans am contender.
You can use us car old or new.
:D 8)

Stoopie
08-17-2007, 07:37 AM
Overrated: Chrysler 300C... Everybody seems to like the looks of that car, because it's so PIMP. Yeah plastic interiors are real pimp.

pagani
08-17-2007, 07:39 AM
Overrated: Chrysler 300C... Everybody seems to like the looks of that car, because it's so PIMP. Yeah plastic interiors are real pimp.

They are also way to heavy shit handling.

FoxFour
08-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Over-rated: Vector. Any specialty car based on an existing chassis like the Saleen, Roush or Steeda Mustang. DeLorean. The Bricklin.
Under-rated: Late-model Pontiac GTO. New Z06 Corvette. Chevy Cobalt SS.
Full-size Chevy, Ford or Chrysler turbo diesel truck. 1986-1987 Buick Grand National.

pagani
08-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Overrated: Anything from Japan or the Pacific Rim
Underrated: Everything else.

I am talking about stricly us cars not japanese cars that are build in factory's in the us.
:lol: :lol:

pagani
08-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Under rated: pontiac soltice cheap american sportscar whit great handling and performance saleen s7 great american supercar to hardcore for evo magazine ford shogun
Over rated lincoln towncar i hate those cars all show no go badly build etc.

pagani
08-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Under rated: pontiac soltice cheap american sportscar whit great handling and performance saleen s7 great american supercar to hardcore for evo magazine ford shogun very rare us version of the first gen renault 5 turbo.

FoxFour
08-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Under rated: pontiac soltice cheap american sportscar whit great handling and performance saleen s7 great american supercar to hardcore for evo magazine ford shogun
I was almost going to put the Solstice in my under-rated catagory as well.
True about the Town Car.

acmarttin
08-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Overrated: Ford Mustang (sorry 'stang guys)

Underrated: The Jeep - modern day Wrangler

graywolf624
08-17-2007, 10:22 PM
overrated: Mustang, Chrysler 300C
Underrated: 06 GTO

MidEngine4Life
08-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Overrated: Ford Mustang, SUV's (Except by Porsche), Pick Up Trucks, Convertables, DeLorean DMC-12

Underrated: Pontiac Fiero GT, Mazdas, BMW 850i, Nissan Zs, Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice, Toyota MR2, C6 Z06

FoxFour
08-18-2007, 05:37 AM
I will say it, did not think of it at the time:
Over-rated: Mustang. Also the Crossfire.

RC45
08-18-2007, 05:44 AM
[quote="paganiOver rated lincoln towncar i hate those cars all show no go badly build etc.
:D 8)[/quote]

What are you basing that statement on?

A TopGear test of a 25 year old fucked up car?

Ghostbat
08-18-2007, 06:19 AM
I will say it, did not think of it at the time:
Over-rated: Mustang. Also the Crossfire.

In all fairness the Crossfire is german.

blinkmeat
08-18-2007, 06:53 AM
overrated - the fucking chevy cavalier - almost everyone has one (not that anyone thinks they're good)

underrated ..... 67 cougar

My dad had one so im partial as I grew up tooling around in one at over 140mph apparently (Not exactly stock :P ) .... And a 57 chevy - they just didn't make enough

:wink:

pagani
08-18-2007, 07:04 AM
[quote="paganiOver rated lincoln towncar i hate those cars all show no go badly build etc.

What are you basing that statement on?

A TopGear test of a 25 year old fucked up car?[/quote]

No i just don't like those stupid things overated in any way.

gangajas
08-18-2007, 07:25 AM
Overrated: Corvette C5 Z06

Underrated: Eagle Premier

Zot09
08-18-2007, 03:20 PM

I am talking about stricly us cars not japanese cars that are build in factory's in the us.
:lol: :lol:

Ok.

:fist:

Overrated: 300C, Mustang, Charger

Underrated: Z06

FoxFour
08-18-2007, 03:31 PM
In all fairness the Crossfire is german.[/quote]
I did not know that. Hey, that means that Pagani's mention of the Lightning (built in Canada) doesn't count too! :P And no mentioning of the '93-2002 Camaro everybody!
Here, I will give you you my explanation of each of my under-rated cars. Lets see if you agree with me or not.
New Late Model Pontiac GTO Not everybody likes flashy cars. This car has understated looks, but still looks sporty. Most people will not share those same opinions. People say that it looks like a Cavalier, but hey, a 1998 and up Camaro's front-end looks like a catfish head and you see a lot people driving these cars.
Pontiac Solstice Finally, Opel returns to the US, and it doesn't suffer from engineer -inspired understeer from hell.
New Z-06 I will let RC tell that one.
Cobalt SS Good looking sporty car with upgrades for more power. I think this car is perfect for a college student. The price isn't outrageous, there are performance packages for these cars and they are small in size. Great for traveling in city traffic and easier to park.
Full-Size Turbo Diesel trucks These trucks have good engine performance potential. With minor upgrades you can achieve 100-200 hp and 500 + ft/lbs of low end torque and still have fantastic towing capability.
Buick Grand National- 1986 to '87 This intercooled version had everyone fooled, even the car dealerships. I remember when Car and Driver posted a short story on this new car and they were able to achieve high 13 second 1/4 mile performance. Remember, this the late '80s, that performance was hard to achieve with an '86 Corvette. Buick did it in a 4 passenger luxury muscle car. Before the C&d article came out, I saw '86 GN's going for $17 grand. After the article, the same dealers upped the price to $22 grand.

FoxFour
08-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Double post.

Ghostbat
08-18-2007, 06:35 PM
^
My point is that the Crossfire is a R170 SLK in disguise.

FoxFour
08-18-2007, 06:44 PM
^
My point is that the Crossfire is a R170 SLK in disguise.

Oh, I knew that.
From Wikipedia:
The Crossfire is a rear-wheel drive sports car sold by DaimlerChrysler's Chrysler marque, and replaced the Plymouth/Chrysler Prowler. The car is built for DaimlerChrysler by Karmann in Germany and shares 39% of its components with other Mercedes models. The chassis is a combination of a modified C-class engine compartment, Pre 2003 CLK floor pan, S-Class rear linkages and new stampings for the side rails and rear. It is available as a coupé and as a roadster.

The car first arrived in the public spotlight as a concept car and was put into production in 2003. Its designer was Eric Stoddard [1].

Flagging sales hindered the car throughout its production run, and the car was discontinued for 2007 in the United States and Mexico, but a 2007 model continued in Europe and Canada. In 2008, the vehicle will be re-introduced in the US market, despite slow sales.
Maybe I am mistaken. Have never driven the car, most of the Crossfires that I see around here are driven by posers.

nthfinity
08-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Over-rated: Vector. Any specialty car based on an existing chassis like the Saleen, Roush or Steeda Mustang. DeLorean. The Bricklin.
Full-size Chevy, Ford or Chrysler turbo diesel truck. 1986-1987 Buick Grand National.

so now you've had experience with the Vector besides what you've read? I've had tremendous experience with a vast majority of the exotics out there, both from that era, and today... yet the Vector still stands out today... even if the design of the rear is unresolved.

The S7 wasn't an existing chassis... but the build quality just isn't there.

nthfinity
08-21-2007, 12:14 AM
overrated:

any, and all FWD Chevy Monte Carlo SS's. Handling = poo, accelleration = worse, looks OMG the Intimidator version :(

Underrated:
comparing japanese suspensions as great, while more supple feeling suspensions in the Z06 as "jarring ride" WTF

graywolf624
08-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Oh I missed the big offender.
Over rated.. 03 Ford Tbird

TNT
08-21-2007, 10:26 PM
over-rated: hummers, chryslers, hemi motor (good but not that great), cadillacs, corvette (non-Z06)

under-rated: mustangs (sorry but any car that can run for 40+ years is impressive), corvette Z06, Saleen S7, most american trucks (they have their place).

philip
08-21-2007, 11:06 PM
For U S cars I only know first hand what I have rented.

Over rated: Chevy Yukon, not as good as the Ford Explorer.

Under rated: 6 cylinder Chevy Impala - If your crusing the interstate all day in a rental car, its really pretty good. Gets terrific gas milage, spacious, comfortable as your living room.

sameerrao
08-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Slightly Overrated: Dodge Viper, Ford GT
Grossly underrated: Z06

nthfinity
08-21-2007, 11:19 PM
Slightly Overrated: Dodge Viper, Ford GT
Grossly underrated: Z06

I tend to agree with you on the Viper... but many people don't realize how advanced the chassis is in the Ford GT. It's lap times are hurt severely by the street demenor of it's setup.... it is set up for the beginner to have a great repeatable flying lap... whereas, other setups tested yield 4+ seconds a lap on a normal race track (a more aggressive street suspension... not RACE)... let alone... on NS.

While I love the Z06, it is very much on the edge, and the setup is on the edge of what it can do. It's a great chassis.... but it is nowhere near as amazing as that of the Ford GT.

MidEngine4Life
08-22-2007, 02:37 PM
under-rated: mustangs (sorry but any car that can run for 40+ years is impressive)

"Now they've made this to look a bit like the 1960's mustang, but the problem is they drive a bit like the 1960's mustang...." ~Richard Hammond

"....Which actually drove like 1940's oxen carts" ~Jeremy Clarkson

"Why have they never sold mustangs here?......." ~Jeremy Clarkson

"......Well because they're rubbish" ~James May

People buy them because of their looks and heritage. They can be fast in a straight line, but other than that they're crap and I know first hand. Ive driven the last 3 generations and I watched a Mustang GT get destroyed by Miatas at Laguna Seca.

TNT
08-22-2007, 03:17 PM
but they never come out and say the mustang is a beat all end all car either.

pagani
08-22-2007, 03:36 PM
under-rated: mustangs (sorry but any car that can run for 40+ years is impressive)

"Now they've made this to look a bit like the 1960's mustang, but the problem is they drive a bit like the 1960's mustang...." ~Richard Hammond

"....Which actually drove like 1940's oxen carts" ~Jeremy Clarkson

"Why have they never sold mustangs here?......." ~Jeremy Clarkson

"......Well because they're rubbish" ~James May

People buy them because of their looks and heritage. They can be fast in a straight line, but other than that they're crap and I know first hand. Ive driven the last 3 generations and I watched a Mustang GT get destroyed by Miatas at Laguna Seca.

What about the cobra r version of the mustang??
I think you need to spend money on the suspension to make mustang go round corners but it can be done.
Here are some mustang's that go round corners
http://www.lateral-g.net/members/#Ford
Don't judge a book by it's cover.

RC45
08-22-2007, 04:47 PM
BTW what exactly has this topic got to do with American Muscle - the title of this forum?

Nothing

This is a Car Chat topic and should be moved.

graywolf624
08-22-2007, 06:09 PM
What about the cobra r version of the mustang??
I think you need to spend money on the suspension to make mustang go round corners but it can be done.
The cobra R isnt a great handling car either. It is a good handling car, but the mustang chasis has several inherent design flaws that can never be overcome. As a result the mustang will never be able to handle as well as say a bmw m3 or a vette with similar quality parts. The chasis has way more flex, weighs 100s of lbs more, is designed for solid rear axle, etc. Anyone who tracks a mustang, especially an sn95, will tell you straight up theyve bandaided a car.. That it isn't the best choice but rather the choice made with the heart. The t/as and camaros are inherently better track cars and even they are flawed beyond budget tracking.

In general the fbodies had a slightly better rear suspension design then the sn95, one that mustang took as their own for the most recent version. The design makes for decent cheap handling and is usually the first thing serious mustang trackers do (panhard rod swap).. but... and I say but.. it only makes the car good over smooth surfaces.. Hit a bump on the track and in either car your screwed. A miata, while underpowered, is an inherintly better track platform.

FoxFour
08-22-2007, 08:07 PM

so now you've had experience with the Vector besides what you've read? I've had tremendous experience with a vast majority of the exotics out there, both from that era, and today... yet the Vector still stands out today... even if the design of the rear is unresolved.

The S7 wasn't an existing chassis... but the build quality just isn't there.
Why do you get your panties in a wad when I or someone else says what they feel about that car? Do you own one? Have I offended you in some personal way? I guess you had a Vector toy when you were little and you have some personal affinity with that car. This post asked for opinions and I gave mine. Notice that I give criticism to Ford products, as well as the Mustang, which is my on-going project car.
Please just let it go.

TNT
08-22-2007, 08:12 PM
BTW what exactly has this topic got to do with American Muscle - the title of this forum?

Nothing

it was suppose to be about american cars, over-rated and under-rated.

RC45
08-22-2007, 08:30 PM

Nothing

withou tthe "muscle" qualifier it should be in "Car Chat" - the over or underated-ness of minivans has zero to do with this forum.. ;)

TNT
08-22-2007, 09:54 PM

Nothing

withou tthe "muscle" qualifier it should be in "Car Chat" - the over or underated-ness of minivans has zero to do with this forum.. ;)

true true :lol:

79TA
08-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Under-rated: Buick, yes Buick. They make good solid plain jane cars that get the job done efficiently with a fair amount of zip despite their out-of-style gushy suspension.

pagani
08-28-2007, 02:07 PM

Nothing

I posted it here because because it's about american cars and this section is about american cars.
:D