PDA

View Full Version : Autocar: Fastest Group Test In History

gangajas
06-12-2007, 07:23 AM
The title is a little bit pompous, but it's quite an interesting read:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/automotive/newmodels/37988/?page=1

In my opinion the most interesting part is this:

As it happens, I was in the GT3 RS and not the R8 when, finally, the Veyron appeared in the mirror. The deal had been that the Bugatti would leave the lot 20sec after I set off. Then we’d see how long it would take it to catch me and, when he did so, whether it would be possible for him to get past.

On the way down the mountain, the GT3 RS completely blew me away. I expected it to have explosive throttle response, fabulous steering, mighty brakes and fantastic body control. And it did, just like the regular GT3 I drove a couple of months back.

But I also expected it to ride like a rollerskate and be generally pretty evil to drive unless I was at 10/10ths, but no. The RS felt damn near as smooth and refined over the ground as the R8, only the 911 had a much bigger punch down the straights and a lot more bite at its front end. “Perhaps he won’t be able to catch me at all,” I started to think.

And then it appeared, hovering like a missile behind me, its xenon headlights burning two big holes in the back of my head. As the road got tighter and twistier I became aware that I was driving the GT3 RS about as hard as I’m prepared to drive a car on the public road, yet the Veyron would not go away.

It just sat there, watching me. Waiting. Then a shortish straight appeared, I caned the 911 as frantically as I could in third gear and, whoosh, the Bugatti just blew by me and the GT3 RS like we were standing still.
I will never, ever forget what that looked and sounded and felt like. It’s some car, the Veyron, it truly is. And this was some group test. Cue credits, roll the soundtrack.

http://i7.tinypic.com/4lfu1si.jpg

MIHALS
06-12-2007, 08:20 AM
can't imagine GT3 RS storming on the road on 3rd, me behind the wheel thinking I'm the fastest man on the earth and then WHOOOOSHHHH some blue line passed me like I was reversing on the highway :shock: :lol:

sameerrao
06-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the scan! :)

yg60m
06-12-2007, 10:16 AM
A great article and this week magazine came with the DVD :wink: I will rip and encode it if nobody else do it.

Svensson
06-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks! Looks very interesting, will read it now.

Here's a video AutoCar made on this feature:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=225994&CT=V

silentm
06-12-2007, 02:11 PM
wow i like that video. nice comparison. a lot of praise, and the most important point: it's not a shame to own either of those cars :D

sameerrao
06-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Wow! Good review. I wish Autocar started broadcasting on TV. Much better than Fifth Gear crap (expect good old Tiff). :)

ARMAN
06-12-2007, 02:47 PM
holy FUCK that Lambo is insanely loud!!! :shock: :twisted: Thanx for scan and video linky :wink:

gangajas
06-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Here's a video AutoCar made on this feature:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=225994&CT=V

C. Harris explains clearly why the Veyron it's so great.

RC45
06-12-2007, 09:32 PM
How come everytime the Veyron is compared to cars with 600bhp LESS no mention is made of this fact?

Of course the car will blast pass anything on the road.. it has 1000bhp and is AWD with electronic controls for everything...

Considering all of the above - if you are on a public twisty roadway then why wouldn't a 1000bhp AWD real in a 991GT3RS and pass it like it was standing still?

Load that GT3RS or the Gallardo up with 1000bhp and do the comparison again. :)

nthfinity
06-12-2007, 10:18 PM
My friend is getting a Veyron very soon... but his S7 TT is faster from 80-230...

wasaabi92
06-12-2007, 10:41 PM
That Gallardo sounds like a Group B rally car... I LOVE IT!

I'll have one of each ... except turn that DB9 into a V8 Vantage. Thanks. :wink:

RC45
06-12-2007, 10:47 PM
How come everytime the Veyron is compared to cars with 600bhp LESS no mention is made of this fact?

Of course the car will blast pass anything on the road.. it has 1000bhp and is AWD with electronic controls for everything...

Considering all of the above - if you are on a public twisty roadway then why wouldn't a 1000bhp AWD real in a 991GT3RS and pass it like it was standing still?

and your point is????

the point is there is NOTHING on the road to knock a Veyron off....nothing even comes close.

as mentioned, this car out accelerates ANY car on the Le Mans starting grid, and knocks off F1 cars after 175 or 180mph......that is just mindblowing for a road car.

Uhm - again - what is the point?

It has 1000bhp - of fucking course it will out accelerate a 400bhp 911.

The comparison is stupid in and of itself.. its like saying "Gee.. this Hayabusa out runs a Ford Fiesta.. but they both have 150bhp" - considering one weighs 400lb and the other 2400lbs is OBVIOUS.

It is also not that impressive for 1000bhp and AWD. Rather, it is EXPECTED.

Pokiou
06-12-2007, 10:59 PM
get a motorbike.. Faster then them all. 0-100.. 0-200. 0.300.. and if your balls enough and with a good earing maybe 0-407kmph :P see cagers are good.. but just don't. thrill as much as a bike does... must be the power ranger thingy. :P

nthfinity
06-13-2007, 09:17 AM

and your point is????

the point is there is NOTHING on the road to knock a Veyron off....nothing even comes close.

as mentioned, this car out accelerates ANY car on the Le Mans starting grid, and knocks off F1 cars after 175 or 180mph......that is just mindblowing for a road car.

Uhm - again - what is the point?

It has 1000bhp - of fucking course it will out accelerate a 400bhp 911.

The comparison is stupid in and of itself.. its like saying "Gee.. this Hayabusa out runs a Ford Fiesta.. but they both have 150bhp" - considering one weighs 400lb and the other 2400lbs is OBVIOUS.

It is also not that impressive for 1000bhp and AWD. Rather, it is EXPECTED.

Well what else do you want to compare it too? There's not much out there...stock at least.

You don't always have to piss about it. I'd understand if it didn't "out-blast" everything and you'd be all "uuh 100bhp and look...".

the other supercars... the SLR 722, thats new... the Koenigsegg CCX... the Gembella CGT... the Saleen S7 TT.... its not like there aren't cars that are more appropriate to choose from.

Svensson
06-13-2007, 10:52 AM
^ Well they may not have 1000 bhp, but they're a lot closer to the Veyron than the cars in this test, when you consider power as well as price.

I guess the only reason why they included the Veyron in this test, is for plain fun and to show everyone that it doesn't handle like a steamboat but can keep up in the twisties with cars like the GT3 RS. Which I have to admit, kind of surprised me. That it's fast in the straight, everybody already knows.

I'd still rather own a 997 GT3 RS than a Veyron, but that's not the point :wink:

nthfinity
06-13-2007, 11:38 AM
^Yes they are closer, but I'm guessing if the Veyron would beat them, then we'd still hear "well it's got a 1000bhp and the others don't...".

It depends on the test. Accel tests for 1/4 mile the veyron would win each, but the standing mile.... its the S7 that would likely win... and on the track...

RC45
06-13-2007, 12:00 PM
^Yes they are closer, but I'm guessing if the Veyron would beat them, then we'd still hear "well it's got a 1000bhp and the others don't...".

This is exactly the point.

If all you want is to show your 1000bhp car can beat up on lesser 400bhp cars then - yes the tests are "with a point" - however if all you want to see is how a 1000bhp car crushes a 400bhp car.. whats the point? ;)

No-one has ever DENIED the Veyron is fast - it is just the juvenile nature of the "Whow... it sure blasted past that slow car".. ;) which is sort of obvious :P

And for the Veyron "keeping up" with a GT3RS on public twisties, no surprise there - the carAWD and computer aids allowing the driver to point and shoot everywhere - turn off the aids and do the same test again ;)

The reality is that "on the street" yo uare not at 10/10th every second... you leave margins for errors - those margins are where the electronic aided car can dominate.

This is obvious and evident to anyone who has taken high HP cars or bikes into the "public twisties" - the highest HP is nromally the winner because there is always a chance to point-and-shoot.

But take the same high HP car or bikes to a race track and suddenly the tables are turned - because the electro aids are turned off.. or the opportunities to "point and shoot" are fewer.

So - in conclusion, such tests for the sheer "Wow factor of a 1000bhp AWD computer controlled car" are great and entertaining to read and watch ;) - but form an "academic performance evaluation point" they are a little silly :P ;)

BTW, what is the time/speed the Veyron does in the standing mile?

TopGearNL
06-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Interesting to see that this is the first test in which it proves to be good in the corners too...

But I have to say that I am impressed that it can do it better then the GT3RS, then again what do you expect from a car that costs at least 1.000.000 Euros. :wink:

TopGearNL
06-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Video available to download from the video-vault!

nthfinity
06-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Interesting to see that this is the first test in which it proves to be good in the corners too...

But I have to say that I am impressed that it can do it better then the GT3RS, then again what do you expect from a car that costs at least 1.000.000 Euros. :wink:

We know the Veyron out accelleartes by a HUUUUUUUGE margin over a GT3 RS, and at least equals it in braking. It does not handle better then a GT3, its the small bits of straights in between that the Veyron just eats up the GT3 so uber quickly... think about it

The veyron does 0-100 in 5.5 seconds, the GT3 RS is still 4 seconds slower to it... jsut one second of throttle in the Veyron is probobly good for 20 mph more per short straight. IT most definately does not handle as well as the GT3... its that one second on-throttle that the Veyron is just stupid faster. The Veyron will not even out handle the Ford GT.

RC45
06-13-2007, 10:40 PM
^But the point is it can still handle, so why piss about it. In my mind that's what supercars are for, they are more for motorways and twisty back roads in my mind. If I want a track car I'll get a track car, I'll have much more fun with that. Therefor I'd say they Veyron is not just a daft car with lots of power, it does what it's supposed to and it's great at it.

No it can't handle.. it just happens to overcome any issues with electronic aids. There is a HUGE difference.

Otherwise by this same token all of you are saying that the Porsche 911 and all Ferrari's have pretty much sucked because "a Veyron could keep up in the twisties".

Take away the the electronic aids and the car will not be in the same league.

It is not possible at that weight - otherwise every racing car would be 4000+lb and have 1000bhp and be AWD.

And we know that they are not.

Again, no-one is denying the Veyron is fast, it is just not the fucking Holy Grail people make it out to be - it is only the sum of it's technology, and considering its technology it is behaving as expected, not amazingly.

Now, if youhave a million bucks and want to and can afford to buy one - great, more power to your (pun intended) and for sure the car would be a blast to drive - but it still doesn't make it the "ultimate handler". ;)

BUt anywhooooo - let's wait till a JWer gets to take a Veyron for a spin and reports back how fun it is to be able to catch up to any other earth bound vehicle by pushing the gas pedal ;)

nthfinity
06-13-2007, 10:43 PM
BUt anywhooooo - let's wait till a JWer gets to take a Veyron for a spin and reports back how fun it is to be able to catch up to any other earth bound vehicle by pushing the gas pedal ;)

who, what? where? Huh?!?!?! Bugatti suck at their communications skills... should be here any day... We're looking into comparing it to a 600 rwhp Ford GT...

nthfinity
06-14-2007, 12:53 AM

If some JWer gets to test it, then it's mandatory for him to do the 1/4 mile, standing mile tests with video. Also a hard lap at the Ring would much respected :lol:

Why? those numbers already exist.. and the budget for going to the Ring is something a few enthusiasts simply don't have. Track data may or may not be possible.

The standing mile would be nice... a trip to Oscoda might do that trick nicely :)

cooperluke
06-14-2007, 06:45 AM
That Gallardo sounds like a Group B rally car... I LOVE IT!

I'll have one of each ... except turn that DB9 into a V8 Vantage. Thanks. :wink:

What??? A Group B???

You should have you ears checked.... :D

TopGearNL
06-14-2007, 02:40 PM

We know the Veyron out accelleartes by a HUUUUUUUGE margin over a GT3 RS, and at least equals it in braking. It does not handle better then a GT3, its the small bits of straights in between that the Veyron just eats up the GT3 so uber quickly... think about it

The veyron does 0-100 in 5.5 seconds, the GT3 RS is still 4 seconds slower to it... jsut one second of throttle in the Veyron is probobly good for 20 mph more per short straight. IT most definately does not handle as well as the GT3... its that one second on-throttle that the Veyron is just stupid faster. The Veyron will not even out handle the Ford GT.

Ahh that explains alot. Thanks for clearing that out Nth.

Was just so weird that in every other test the Veyron came out as a bit of a pig when it becomes to handling, thats why I had doubts about this test.