PDA

View Full Version : Corvette driver borrows PorscheGT3 mistakes clutch for brake

philip
05-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Sports Car Market Magazine has this article complete with lots of pictures on their website of a Corvette C4 driver who borrowed a Porsche GT 3 just for one lap of an autocross and wipes out 3 other cars in the spectator parking lot after his run. Apparently mistook the clutch for the brake.

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/articles/archives/1119

wasaabi92
05-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Haven't we all been there at one point? :roll:

Well with Porsche buying VW these days, I'm sure Audi isn't too thrilled. They finally fixed their pedal problems from the 80s...

RC45
05-01-2007, 01:55 PM
What kind of morons organize a competitive event where spectators park at the end of the circuit?

dutchmasterflex
05-01-2007, 01:59 PM
What kind of moron [Corvette driver] mistakes a clutch for brake pedal?!

RC45
05-01-2007, 02:14 PM
What kind of moron [Corvette driver] mistakes a clutch for brake pedal?!

Well - unless youhave actully driven a custom offset peddle car before, then you miht not know how youcan "zone" into your operaitonal mode... and reflex hit the "right pedal' in the wrong place or vice versa ;)

Be that as it may, he was driving a C4 for reason - maybe the speed skeered him :P

If he was that unfamiliar with the car he should not have been going 10/10ths anyway - that was apoor judgement call.

As a competitor you are also obligated to evaluate the "saftey layout" of where you compete - and if there was parking in the "end zone" runoff, I know I would not have competed.

Racing is dangerous - even parking lot cone racing... just as whats his face what happens when you hit the gas in an Enzo in a parking lot filled with cones.

RC45
05-01-2007, 02:16 PM
What kind of morons organize a competitive event where spectators park at the end of the circuit?

That is completely wrong place for parking, but you still can't really blame the organizers.

Actually - as a spectator who was instructed to park in that area - I sure as hell would blame the organisors - they have an obligation to ORGANIZE after all ;)

Besides, it could have been deadly - imagine if a spectator was getting into or out of his/her car at that same moment?

Pure stupidity on the organisors part.

5vz-fe
05-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Wonder if insurance will cover the damage like he said.

ViperASR
05-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Can you say whoops. :oops:

There should be insurance that will pay for the damages, be it the owners or the tracks/clubs insurance. The club should have had insurance, and they should pay for the damages.

bmagni
05-01-2007, 02:57 PM
this happened to me once when I drove a clutchless car with shifting, the thing is that I had an icecream in my hand and my phone started ringing so I got distracted and stepped on the break and the icecream finished on my face...

dutchmasterflex
05-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Mistaking a brake pedal for a clutch is a bit different as the brake pedal is usually oversized and the clutch pedal is to the far left. But now I'm just getting technical.

I haven't driven a 996 GT3, but I have a feeling he used his left foot to hit the "brake" and went for the pedal furthest to the left. I can't imagine his right foot crossing over the brake pedal over to the clutch.

5vz-fe
05-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Mistaking a brake pedal for a clutch is a bit different as the brake pedal is usually oversized and the clutch pedal is to the far left. But now I'm just getting technical.

I haven't driven a 996 GT3, but I have a feeling he used his left foot to hit the "brake" and went for the pedal furthest to the left. I can't imagine his right foot crossing over the brake pedal over to the clutch.

For automatic, the brake pedal maybe oversize, but manual, they are quite similar.

bmwdriver
05-01-2007, 03:19 PM
^agree, don't think there's room for another foot so far left in a Porsche :wink:
so far, the comments are quite fair, no Corvette bashing, that's good

gangajas
05-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Maybe it was the first time he drove a sports car. :P

TopGearNL
05-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Ouch..

As said, what kind of organisation puts a parking lot at the end? :?

philip
05-01-2007, 09:39 PM
This is apparently why it always costs $30 to enter an autocross.