PDA

View Full Version : A butt only sir mixalot could love: Dodge Charger R/T

graywolf624
04-17-2007, 05:54 PM
First my apologies for the delay in posting, I have been sick as a dog out from work. Anyway, Im starting to feel better so it is review time. So what car this week? Saturday I drove a Dodge Charger R/T, base model (not performance package). I actually tried to drive one of these a few weeks ago but the dealership was out. I got impatient and tried a separate dealer. Big mistake, the second dealer is one of those over aggressive types that likes to play number games to trick potential buyers. Things like listing the potential monthly payment but not providing the interest rates. Not taking no when you tell them your not interested. Things that mean even if I liked this car I wouldn't buy it from them.

So did I like the Dodge Charger? Well first let me say, my biases lie decidedly against this car. It reminds me of the VW bug or other craptacular 'lifestyle' vehicles. A car where my initial impression is the styling and 'heritage' is more important then quality, like the Chrysler its based off of. Still I'm running a particular line to my tests: I am looking for a 30k car that is a liveable alternative to spending 45k on a vette. Basically trying to talk myself out of the big ticket number. Is it the truth? Well somewhat. I think I will end up with the vette, but I do wish I could find an alternative to save my wallet.

So the styling first. The Charger certainly has a distinct front end. I actually like the front design. I loved that basic design influence on the ram, so it does resonate with me. That being said, it has a huge ass. It looks like half of manhattan is hanging off the back. Its just huge. So I guess I would only say I like the design from certain angles.

That huge ass does have some positives. There is plenty of trunk room, rear passenger room, and front passenger room. I'd say from that perspective the car excels, though if thats it's one plus, the Magnum (the station wagon version) might be a better bet.

The interior itself is of extremely high quality. It may well be the highest material quality I've ever seen in a American car. Then again, it looks like it was ripped direct from a Mercedes, so it damn well better be.

So away we go. I put the car in drive. All these modern Mer... I mean Dodges.. are automatic, so no stick here. The car has a paddle shift type action where you can push the stick left or right in drive to up and down shift.

In theory I could see paddle shift being a good move. The majority of people who drive one of these are going to want a cruiser they can have fun with occassionally. Unfortunately, I found the ergonomic design to be so extremely lacking as to render it useless! Why? Well for one there is no separate mode to keep it out of auto shift. So I could see a kid or passenger knocking you into this mode quite easily. That wouldn't be so bad except for the location. Comfortablly placed with the adjustable pedals positioned and the wheel placed the actual shifter was behind me. I can not begin to express how disconcerting it is to reach behind you to shift. Keep in mind I'm 5'11" and this was significantly behind me. Who did they design this for, Yao Ming? Granted he would have plenty of head room.

I took off with the traction control on but later turned it off. You would think this would be incredibly fun, alas it has a major fly in the ointment. You see this car is heavy. The 340 bhp spins the tires, but it still can't overcome that weight. To give you an idea, for the 25 more bhp then my trans am I could swallow an original mini (like those old ws6 commercials) and still be lighter. You can never really shake the feeling that you are driving a car towing around Rosie O'donnels Ass. Neither from the looks or from the drive. It just feels heavy.

This heaviness rears its ugly head again with the handling. The handling reminds me of the last Crown Victoria I road in. Extremely floaty with a dead spot in the wheel big enough to hide a semi. It feels every pound of its weight. Now granted, they do offer an upscale version with a performance package (better suspension and 10 more bap) but I have to tell you it feels like it needs alot more then that.. Maybe a diet. They also have the 425 bhp SRT version. But again.. Still heavier then sin and now 55,000 dollars. This car is not winning a fan in me.

It occurred to me during this drive that this car might be a good option for being driven. I have personally been in a 300C converted to such use. I'm not sure the badge lends itself to such credo, and certainly the marketing ploy doesn't. But I also can't say that the car wouldn't be a good option for being driven. Some of us just prefer to drive.

When I pulled the car back into the dealer I was convinced it was not the one for me. Even as a pure muscle car it was missing something. That special something that makes you want a car.

To further belabor the point, I decided to take a look at the heart of the beast. The source of the marketing hoopla, the Hemi engine. Well first, theres no room under the hood to work on the engine. I can't see this being a hot rodders choice then.. Not to mention the bhp per weight issue mentioned earlier.

This was further slammed home when I pointedly asked about the fluid sticks. You see, every one of the fluid sticks in the hemi you are supposed to check are in Yellow. Right, no biggy there. But the transmission stick isn't yellow, and is labeled for dealer use only. This peaked my interest. Apparently Dodge in its infinite wisdom has decided to make the transmission sealed so it is only servicable by the dealership. The sales rep proceeded to tell me some crap about how no one seems to have problems with them so its no big deal. Now I can't say what has happened with the Chargers transmission, but historically dodge autos are known for shitting the bed. Furthermore what type of hot rodder wants sealed parts? It appears Dodge may have lost the plot.

Finally, there are items recently in the news about owners of Chrysler vehicles worries of losing their warranties during the companies impending collapse. So right, a transmission your entirely dependent on a company that may not even be here for. If thats not a sign to run not walk away from this car I don't know what is.

In closing, Dodge is selling thousands of these cars.. Essentially rebadged 300Cs. I personally feel my original impression is correct, it is largely a form over function situation.

silentm
04-19-2007, 03:23 PM
nice writeup, always good to read what you have to say.

ZfrkS62
04-19-2007, 03:38 PM
given the fact that they are probably using a ZF transmission and not a Chrysler tranny, i would be inclined to say that you would have to look at Mercedes trans reliability, which really isn't all that bad. Once the car is out of warranty though, Aamco should be able to fix whatever goes wrong as the fluid legally has to be made available to the public through aftermarket sources.

The purist in me has despised the Charger from day one for multiple reasons.

1) too many doors. The car whose heritage this abomination is attempting to play on, was a coupe. not a sedan. this allowed it to have a longer ass.

2) transmission choices. or lack there of. even the old Chargers has a 3 or 4 speed option. Why does DaimlerBenz seem to think an automatic is better? Oh, because they don't know how to make one..

3) image. The new Charger just doesn't have it.

graywolf624
04-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Once the car is out of warranty though, Aamco should be able to fix whatever goes wrong as the fluid legally has to be made available to the public through aftermarket sources.
Actually.. that law hasnt passed yet.. They can and do have a sealed transmission that requires special equipment to fill. The point being no one at a mom and pop store or hotrodder will have this. Several recent SUVs have this feature too.. Its only a big deal in its effect on people who are doing their own work. A group I would think was the Chargers nostalgic primary audience. Dodge apparently disagrees.

TopGearNL
04-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Nice write-up Gray!

I never liked that car, on the pure bases that it has the name of a legendary Dodge, this thing isn't worthy of that name as pointed out by your review.

RC45
04-19-2007, 07:36 PM
The Charger R/T only existd to fill a gap in the price of the Charger lineup.

You must try to get a ride in an SRT/8 if youcan.

As a way to solve the transmisison issue, the local Dodge dealer (whom is very performance orientated) was willing to make a deal with me - they would install a 6-speed Tremec, and let me finance the whole deal AND give me warranty on the tranny if I took one of their SRT/8's off their hands the same day ;)

I must say - I was rather tempted :P

A six speed manual SRT/8... :twisted: :twisted:

T-Bird
04-19-2007, 09:14 PM
yeah the SRT/8 is a hell of a bargain for roughly 40K I drove one and was thoroughly impressed. I agree with RC if it was in 6-speed form holy crap.

PaulGT2164
04-19-2007, 09:49 PM
keisler also makes several manual tranny options for the 5.7 and 6.1 liter hemi cars.

we run one of their products (6 speed) in a challenger 426 hemi, works well....