PDA

View Full Version : Ford gets a second chance: 2007 Mustang GT

graywolf624
04-10-2007, 07:42 PM
I would like to say after the last horrible Ford Mustang review I planned to revisit the new model to give it a second chance, but honestly that would be a bit of a lie. The 2003 model left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I actually set out the day to test drive a new Charger, however due to availability the Mustang got the nod. It is a good thing too, as a car with such history does deserve a chance to redeem itself.

Somehow yet again I ended up with a salesperson who never sold a car before. This one was even more green, he wasn't even covered by lot insurance. He literally couldn't drive the car. So there were no answers to my questions, I had to figure things out on my own.

So right, the car. The external design is obviously nostalgic. Honestly I like the design but I do wonder how it will stand the test of time. The same goes for the interior. The interior materials are about midgrade, unlike the last gen mustang that had the same interior as a horse and buggy. The interior design does the best it can with this combination, actually making the materials appear better then they actually are. Ford should give the designer a bonus for that one.

One aside before I continue, the dealership in question had a Shelby Mustang on the lot. I was impressed by the look until I got closer. The stripes on the front of the car were not centered. In fact neither were the window washer nozzles. On a car costing all of 40K that is not acceptable. It honesty made me worry about the base model. I'm happy to report I didn't see such shoddy worksmanship on the base car, so maybe it was just a fluke... Or something we can blame on Shelby's senility.

Anyway, back to the car at hand. There is decent space in the trunk for a car with sporty intentions. The seats fold down and there does seem to be size equivelency to the 350z, but without the requirement to place items at crazy angles.

The seats are also comfortable. The model I drove had the leather seats, the 1000 watt shaker audio system, and many other amenities. All and all I must say I was very comfortable. I can't comment on the audio system as the best I could muster was terrestial radio. If you listen to a source that sounds like its comming from the bottom of a well it doesnt matter how good the system is. This model also comes with Satalite radio, but it wasn't turned on.

So enough about the interior and exterior, time to drive the car. I shut off the nanny traction control as historically it completely kills the fun. The next step is of course to slam the gas. So what of the acceleration, does it take off like a bunny on prozac, or like a tranqed prostitute?

Well actually the acceleration was nice. The car does move.. BUT!!!! Unfortunately there is a big but... There is a weird hesitation before it gets going. It is very similar to my Mazda's electronic throttle body. It just has a slight delay from when you hit the gas till when the revs climb. In the Mazda I don't notice it that much anymore as the car doesn't have quite the take off as the Mustang. However, on the v8 it is blatnatly apparent and damn frustrating. Now I must add, some of these systems learn as you drive them, improving over time. This may be one of those systems, in which case it will improve for the actual owner. However, as is it would drive me insane.

Still the car had similar straight line performance to other muscle cars once the initial hesitation was surpassed. It didn't feel quite as fast as my Trans Am mind you, but part of that feeling is noticably related to the bleeding edge lack of refinement of the T/A. I cannot comment on how it would actually stack up other then point out its published quarter times are .2-.3 slower then the Trans Am.

Then there is the noise of the engine. The car, as most people know, sounds fantastic at mid to low rpm. That being said, something sounded a bit off at higher RPM. Maybe its just what I'm use too, but it sounded a bit whiney at higher RPM. I'll probably take a lot of flack for that opinion.

You'll notice I haven't mentioned handling, well there is two reasons for that. First unfortunately this test drive route did not lend itself to a handling test. There were a few sweepers but nothing in the way of tight corners. This turned out to be a good thing for a second reason! The car wallows around a corner like the fat woman from "Whats Eating Gilbert Grape". Turn sharply and it feels like your barge just hit a beached whale.

Don't get me wrong the handling isn't as bad as say the Prius I drove months ago, but it isn't far above it. If you buy this car you better live somewhere with no curves or invest in an aftermarket suspension, otherwise you are going to be very unhappy. It also has 0 road feel, a decent size turn in dead zone, and is slow to turn in. So right, the handling is subpar.

The aftermarkets on these cars, as any Mustang, is well beyond any other car for price per dollar. As such you shouldn't have any difficulty fixing the suspension issues. You still probably will not exceed say a C6 Z06, but there is certainly significant improvement to be had. Given this and the potential for the electronic throttle to learn, I can't drop this car into complete obscurity. It is also the cheapest sporty car I've driven thus far. Most certainly the most BHP per dollar. All these facts mean the car is still a reasonable, if not class leading alternative. So I guess the end result is the Mustang has vindicated itself on some fronts, but remains in obscurity on others.

nthfinity
04-10-2007, 09:03 PM
I'll continue arguing it ain't that bad in the corners. I've driven 4-5 S197 Mustang GT's, and never had an issue with throttle lag...

and you wouldn't believe it, but cost wise, the new interior is cheaper then the old one ;)

nice review mate :)