PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear heading to the US?

blue8
04-09-2007, 01:34 PM
From Autoblog:
Is The Stig headed to the States? It appears that the wildly popular automotive TV show, Top Gear, could be heading to these shores (again). The BBC and The Sun newspaper have reported that there are again plans to do a Top Gear U.S. version, but this time with current hosts Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May. Previous attempts at doing an American Top Gear lost the magic when they tried to replicate the show with different presenters. Although airing the current UK show on Discovery has made some fans happy, getting the lads to cover more American cars and feature more American celebs will probably draw an even bigger American audience. To that end it is said that the U.S. show will be just like the UK version, but will include more American cars, and U.S. stars doing their darndest to beat The Stig.

The deal hasn't been confirmed by BBC Worldwide, but there have apparently been talks. Top Gear, in case you don't know, is an international Emmy winner, which recently wrapped its most recent season with 8 million viewers tuning in for the finale. They have also been in the news for the horrific jet car crash and remarkable recovery of presenter Richard Hammond. The show's next UK season will begin airing in the fall.

A new U.S. version sounds intriguing. We say bring it on. Maybe if they're forced to drive more American cars on American roads in American driving conditions, they'll start to understand why their current negative impressions don't hold water on this side of the pond. I already have my "I'm the Stig's fat American cousin" T-shirt to welcome them to these shores. What do you think of a possible Top Gear U.S. edition?

-- I don't really see the point of doing this... but more TG shows always sounds cool 8)

ferrari550
04-09-2007, 01:35 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2007160255,00.html

TopGearNL
04-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Well got to keep the Yanks happy I guess :wink:

More TG is always welcome!

ViperASR
04-09-2007, 02:34 PM

:bah:

Would be cool to see TG on my TV as opposed to my computer. I hope they do it :good:

TopGearNL
04-09-2007, 03:11 PM

:bah:

Would be cool to see TG on my TV as opposed to my computer. I hope they do it :good:

LOL, why :bah:?

Anyway if it features more american cars that would be ok, would love to see the Saleen for instance!

Erez
04-09-2007, 03:32 PM
I wounder how that would come out with JC... :roll: will he be censored? :lol:

graywolf624
04-09-2007, 06:21 PM
will he be censored?
Really depends on the channel.. Some are censored some arent.

TopGearNL
04-09-2007, 06:25 PM

What would they censore him on, that Americans always ask you if you want cheese with it? :lol:

SFDMALEX
04-09-2007, 06:33 PM
I dont think the American audience would like Top Gear.

Its not an American like show.

666fast
04-09-2007, 06:54 PM

What would they censore him on, that Americans always ask you if you want cheese with it? :lol:

Thats exactly it. The whole "Americans are dumb" thing won't fly here and I'm sure he's aware of it. It works the other way as well, I don't imagine the British public watching an American repeatedly tell them how stupid they are and how shit their country is.

I say bring it on, I'd love to see them on TV here. They bring something completely different from every other motoring show here. Which is good, because they all suck ass IMO.

TopGearNL
04-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Thats exactly it. The whole "Americans are dumb" thing won't fly here and I'm sure he's aware of it. It works the other way as well, I don't imagine the British public watching an American repeatedly tell them how stupid they are and how shit their country is.

Yeh true..

But I hope they won't censore him too much otherwise it could just as well be a 5th Gear presenter, I mean JC has his own unique character and approach to everything, thats what makes him so likeable..

obdr
04-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Are yout kidding me? Americans wont like Top Gear you say?!!? I know TONS upon TONS of Americans who loves Top Gear. We have a sence of humor guys...even when the joke is on us.

ViperASR
04-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Are yout kidding me? Americans wont like Top Gear you say?!!? I know TONS upon TONS of Americans who loves Top Gear. We have a sence of humor guys...even when the joke is on us.

Everyone that is into cars that I hang out with and race with all watch Top Gear. Even some people that are not as big of car nuts as some of us watch the show. People over here love the show, despite how biased JC is. Come on, we have a sence of humor 2.

RC45
04-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Mainstream support for a US bashing show would be very limited, and sponsors would bail out with in the first week.

JC is al washed up and has no entertainment or driving skills left, so he has to constantly resort to cheap one liners.

SFDMALEX
04-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Mainstream support for a US bashing show would be very limited, and sponsors would bail out with in the first week.

JC is al washed up and has no entertainment or driving skills left, so he has to constantly resort to cheap one liners.

Blasphemy.

Only reason you dont liek him is cause he doesnt like the yanks :P

RC45
04-09-2007, 09:14 PM

Blasphemy.

Only reason you dont liek him is cause he doesnt like the yanks :P

Nope - I dont like him because he cant ever give credit where it is due.. Tiff is my hero, and his characterising JC as "the gorilla with the Kevin Keegan hairdo" is spot on :)

SFDMALEX
04-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Yea but he's hillarious.....you laugh with him and at him :D

philip
04-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Why not just broadcast reruns of old shows till we get caught up. I've only seen the show a couple of times on the Discovery channel its usually buried at some wierd time and only for a couple of weeks then its off again for six months.

The UK version is fine with me, he's funny and I dont care what he says about American cars. He seems to bash most cars from any country.

It is by far the best car show ever made, by a wide margin.

I'm tired of watching little tiny screen clips on the internet, bring it on in what ever way you want, I just want it now.

RC45
04-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Yea but he's hillarious.....you laugh with him and at him :D

He seems to bash most cars from any country.

Thats the thing.. if I just wanted a laugh at juvenile humour I would watch Happy Gilmore reruns.. :P

The show was originally about cars - it has degenerated to a "a show for shows sake" - like Paris Hilton is famous.. for being famous.. :P

So - think of JC as the Paris Hilton of the car world ;)

SFDMALEX
04-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Yea thats all good, but I like it :P

RC45
04-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Yea thats all good, but I like it :P

I know - I saw at Paris's MySpace you are her number 3 fan ;)

RC45
04-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Do they have to like all American cars then? It should be great regardless where it is shot. More TG the better! :D

I am not talking about american cars at all.

I am talkign about the fact he spouts crap and bullshit about almost every car he touches.

His automotive knowledge in public is pathetic and he really is a poor comedian at the best of times.

In small doses his written artciles are ok, bu tin person he just comes across as an idiot half the time. ;)

acmarttin
04-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Well - I'm another American that thinks this is great news. I don't give a flying f**k how much he makes fun of Americans. I agree with all of you who have pointed out that we can take a joke. And to be honest, I don't take it that personally.

RC45
04-09-2007, 11:58 PM
^^ the anti-US jokes are ok.. it's his inane rantings about all cars that are not Aston Martin... ;)

nthfinity
04-10-2007, 12:07 AM
this isn't the first time clarkson's TG has been shown in the states... maybe a more prime time time, and a better channel?

acmarttin
04-10-2007, 12:07 AM
^^ the anti-US jokes are ok.. it's his inane rantings about all cars that are not Aston Martin... ;)

I can see your point. I think I'm more of a fan of the dynamic of the show than I am of their opinions. I take everything they say with a grain of salt. If they say the Enzo is incredible I can believe it. And when they say the MC12 is rubbish, I just say....yeeeeaaahhhh well...comapred to an Enzo maybe :)

Erez
04-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I wounder then how would the British here react to the last South Park Episode.. :lol:

TopGearNL
04-10-2007, 10:29 AM
^^ True!

Anyway JC says that kinda stuff about everyone, I mean look at the stuff he says about Germans and their Nazi staffcars, then again he loves them!

He laughs at American cars, but thinks that the Z06 is one hell of a car!

Erez
04-10-2007, 10:36 AM
^ and he did say a normal C6 would be great as a daily.. (laying the groundwork maybe? :P :lol: :wink: )

anywho its all in the name of humor, and if it doesn't offend no one.. well.. Its just not funny now is it :P JC rule and TG is THE BEST CAR SHOW, EVER! the rest are such a bore! :roll:

graywolf624
04-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Well he already admitted that the C6, especially the Z06, can go around corners, as can the Cadillac CTS-V, the Ford GT and I think he was pretty impressed with the Roush Mustand as well.
Then he critiqued the z06 as not practical on the street.. having it lose to a luxury car as a result.. Then he compared a lotus elise to an American street car and said the american street car was slow..

Selective competing.

TopGearNL
04-13-2007, 05:26 PM
^^ I agree he's a bit nittpicking but thats just the way he is.. :bah: