PDA

View Full Version : '87 RUF CTR Yellowbird Blueprints

racingfreak
04-04-2007, 05:20 AM
This might be one of the rarest request ever made, but I'm trying my luck in about 80 different forums with the hope that someone out there might be able to help me. I've started with a project to built an exact replica of a 1987 RUF CTR Yellowbird, The chassis I'm going to use is either a 930 turbo or 911 carrera 3.2 which where both used as basis for the RUF conversion and now I need exact spec on the entire car to start my project!! So if anyone have a link, contact or any usefull info please either post on this topic or drop me PM... Any help will be greatly appreciated!

silentm
04-04-2007, 01:45 PM
^^ that probably won't work

try your luck at smcars.net in the forums there is an extensive library of many many brands. maybe you can find something. (just checked it, the specific model you are searching for isn't there maybe you can use a bp of a similar make)

nthfinity
04-04-2007, 03:51 PM
THE yellowbird is in Dallas, Texas. I'm not sure how keen Ruf is to replica's themselves...

There is plenty of documentation out there about the parts on the first CTR, and the engine is very much derrived from group C componentry from Porsche motorsport.

I think somewhere there was a photo of pretty much the entire CTR all apart that was taken during it's restoration from 2004-2005 ish.

RC45
04-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Well - the YellowBird might have a new home in a couple months ;) :P - so super-detail images of every last nut and bolt wouldn't be a problem....

In the mena time, it would probably be cheaper to just buy one of the existing RuF VIN CTR's and retrofit any different parts to it.

The bodyshell mods would be the most expensive and time consuming to replicate, and thats essentially what will make a RUF build different from a RUF conversion.

How much cheaper than converting an exisitng car you ask? Well - lets just say I have my eye on an rTurbo... and it is cheaper to buy a used rTurbo than it is to buy a used Porsche 911TT of the same generation.

While a new RUF car is astonishly expensive, the used RUF (conversion or VIN #) are astonishingly affordable.

If faced with the choice of buying a GT3 for $90K or an rTurbo for $90K - I know which one I would buy ;)

nthfinity
04-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Well - the YellowBird might have a new home in a couple months ;) :P - so super-detail images of every last nut and bolt wouldn't be a problem....

In the mena time, it would probably be cheaper to just buy one of the existing RuF VIN CTR's and retrofit any different parts to it.

go figure LOL

BTW any luck with the the F40 thing?

acknot
04-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Why would you want to build one though? Its true they're fast, but they're also 930-types with an old-fashioned and laggy 500hp engine mated to a welded rear diff. If you can drive (i.e. power oversteer) a 500hp 930 fast you are macho to the fingertips. I've driven a BTR and they're more scary than fun actually.

I'd much rather look into building a retro look 964 like the PS Retro 300R. Now this is how a 911 should look - and they drive like something remotely recent ;)

nthfinity
04-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Why would you want to build one though? Its true they're fast, but they're also 930-types with an old-fashioned and laggy 500hp engine mated to a welded rear diff. If you can drive (i.e. power oversteer) a 500hp 930 fast you are macho to the fingertips. I've driven a BTR and they're more scary than fun actually.

I'm guessing you haven't driven the one-of-one 12 plug BTR then... if you think a normal BTR is scary... imagine a 220 mph 0-100 in 7 BTR... on low boost!

Wild is the word for that one. :twisted:

RC45
04-04-2007, 08:13 PM

go figure LOL

Sorry man - I placed a phone call, but didn't manage to get out to do the F40 thing in person :(

On another note, rumour has it - a very special RT12 might make an appearance...

nthfinity
04-04-2007, 08:18 PM
If your able to by tomarrow, thats the important thing, as I think friday may end up being too late as already discussed

nthfinity
04-07-2007, 12:31 AM

go figure LOL

Sorry man - I placed a phone call, but didn't manage to get out to do the F40 thing in person :(

On another note, rumour has it - a very special RT12 might make an appearance...

Does this "F40 thing" possibly involve the F40 I'm thinking of, the one I got to sit in a couple weeks ago...? :P

All "F40 things" are pending, and cannot be discussed at this time ;)

dingo
04-07-2007, 02:36 AM
Then you could keep it to PMs.... ;)

sameerrao
04-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Well - the If faced with the choice of buying a GT3 for $90K or an rTurbo for $90K - I know which one I would buy ;)

GT3?

nthfinity
04-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Then you could keep it to PMs.... ;)

why do a silly thing like that :P

In any case, we won't find out the results of our work for a few weeks yet :(

I'll just say that it has to do with a no-stories low milage F40 US spec.

RC45
04-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Well - the If faced with the choice of buying a GT3 for $90K or an rTurbo for $90K - I know which one I would buy ;)

GT3?

Yeah, same here. :) :wink:

Nope... rTurbo all the way.

inso
04-11-2007, 01:32 PM
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/fotos/foto-shows/news/mpsfshw_show_501250_14093.hbs?
in this RUF cayman article there are also a few yellowbird pictures,

nthfinity
04-14-2007, 01:36 AM

go figure LOL

Does this "F40 thing" possibly involve the F40 I'm thinking of, the one I got to sit in a couple weeks ago...? :P

Good news, John can stir in his own brew this time, as a 1143 mile 1990 F40 is being delivered Tomarrow!

RC45
04-14-2007, 02:00 AM

go figure LOL

Good news, John can stir in his own brew this time, as a 1143 mile 1990 F40 is being delivered Tomarrow!
Glad you guys got sorted out - next time I'll just drive the car up to your camp for a look see :P

racingfreak
04-16-2007, 04:20 AM
Hi guys, been away on business so I weren't able to check this forum. thanks so much for everyones contributions...especially for that pic dani sent and the link inso gave me!

I'd much rather look into building a retro look 964 like the PS Retro 300R. Now this is how a 911 should look - and they drive like something remotely recent

Acknot, its what the car represents more than its everyday drivabilty that hooked me, anyone with a little ruf knowledge must have seen that famous video of stephan roser pushing that car to the max to get a 8m15s around the nordschleife! I've got a porsche for everyday use (996 4S), so this is going to be the car I drive to get my adrenaline flowing, btw I've driven a 930 turbo with bigger turbo, 964 turbo and 993 turbo with 450bhp conversion...so handling the power is not going to be an issue and I love the turbo lag effect where all 469 horses hits you in one big "blow"!!!

silentm
04-17-2007, 02:59 PM
i admire your plan :) it's also interesting that you liketurbo-lag

i hope you can get together what you need