PDA

View Full Version : Stone hits on windshield

Ghostbat
03-23-2007, 03:32 PM
It has happened to me but it wasn't in the drivers view so nothing to do.

You can have it fixed if you have it done immediately and don't touch it yourself first.

dutchmasterflex
03-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Sucks, had that happen to me last year, still got the spider web of cracks in my windshield. Was driving a long when all of a sudden heard a huge CRACK and went deaf for a few seconds because of how loud it was.. looked up and saw the damage.

You can get it fixed but they replace the whole windshield, only takes a few minutes.. and they can usually do it anywhere you park your car during the day.

sameerrao
03-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Depends on how bad/big the crack is, but it is possible to repair it.

This is the info I read on ferrarichat:

1. Cover up the crack ASAP with scotch tape to keep dirt from getting in.
2. Do not run your defroster that blows air onto the windshield - this could worsen the crack
3. Get it repaired ASAP - the crack grows with time if not fixed
4. For the repair, check for local windshield repair guys or check with your car insurance company. They may know someone who fixes these things. The procedure some of them follow is to maybe smoothen the crack with some drilling to make the lines even. Then they fill it with adhesive and cure it under some heat/UV light. This will prevent the crack from expanding in the future and makes it mostly invisible.

This is a pretty inexpensive fix. ~$60 in the US. Try it out. If it doesnt work for you then seek out glass replacement which is a lot more cash unfortunately.

ARMAN
03-23-2007, 04:25 PM
rock kit windshield in my Samara, within 2 days i had a spider leg across half of the windshield :? if cops catch you here and leg is more than 2cm or so you can get a fine for that so it need to be changed. it can be fixed with some special glue that is hardened by UV lamp but if its not bigger than 5cm or so. the faster you go there the better it is :) or if you have it covered in insurance than you have no problem at all :)

ae86_16v
03-23-2007, 04:35 PM
I don't know but in US, a lot of auto insurance companies will cover to fix the wind screen. Of course it depends on the type of coverage you have.

So you might want to check w/ your insurance company first.

TopGearNL
03-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Its not going to be a problem for now, as long as you or noone else touches it, but it can get worse in a while..

ZfrkS62
03-24-2007, 04:15 AM
Depends on how bad/big the crack is, but it is possible to repair it.

This is the info I read on ferrarichat:

1. Cover up the crack ASAP with scotch tape to keep dirt from getting in.
2. Do not run your defroster that blows air onto the windshield - this could worsen the crack
3. Get it repaired ASAP - the crack grows with time if not fixed
4. For the repair, check for local windshield repair guys or check with your car insurance company. They may know someone who fixes these things. The procedure some of them follow is to maybe smoothen the crack with some drilling to make the lines even. Then they fill it with adhesive and cure it under some heat/UV light. This will prevent the crack from expanding in the future and makes it mostly invisible.

This is a pretty inexpensive fix. ~$60 in the US. Try it out. If it doesnt work for you then seek out glass replacement which is a lot more cash unfortunately.

The whole scotch tape bit is ridiculous. There are already 3 layers of laminate in the windshield. One in the inside, one in the middle and one on the outside to prevent the glass from chattering all over the passengers in case of something like this on a bigger scale. so the tape really won't do anything.

The things that influence the crack to spread are actually the stresses on the windshield itself and the location of the crack. If you're driving on rough roads, then chances are better that the crack will spread due to the constant flexing caused by the jouncing of the car.

I had a large crack in my windshield on the van and it never spread over the year and a half i owned it. Yet i have seen cracks shoot across a windshield just by touching the glass.

It is possible to "stitch" the crack though. If there is a windshield repair place around you, what they can do is essentially drill into the glass at the tips of the crack, then fill it with a clear epoxy. and that should keep it from spreading. Other than that, replacement is your only option.

dutchmasterflex
03-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Depends on what kind of crack too.. if its a straight line, it will get bigger.

The crack I have in my windshield is like a spiders web and hasn't grown at all over the past year.

ZfrkS62
03-24-2007, 12:49 PM
^^

Not even that. The crack i had on the van came straight up from the bottom

ARMAN
03-26-2007, 05:45 AM
so your insurance doesnt cover it?

silentm
03-27-2007, 05:35 PM
even after the fix you will probably see it. you can't get it away 100%. at least that is how it was with my windshield :?