PDA

View Full Version : Tale of two cars: GTO v. T/A

graywolf624
02-17-2007, 06:43 PM
I recently decided it would be fun to make a weekly winter tradition of going to a different dealer and testing a car. This plan should get me through the long winter before I feel comfortable pulling my Trans Am out of winter hibernation. Besides what is more fun then beating on someone elses car?

So what did I start with but a 2006 Pontiac GTO. Apparently the dealers
are desperate to unload the remaining 2006 copies of this now discontinued car. The first thing I'm greeted with is a completely dead battery GTO in electric blue. Apparently no one has tested or driven these cars in quite some time. The next thing out of the dealers mouth is something about rebates, which I tune out by requesting a test drive of another car. (Only you the reader and myself knowing I have no intention of buying). Fortunately the red car in the next spot starts on the first try. The dealer tells me to 'go ahead and burn off the tires, I don't care'. The reader can guess where this is going...

But before we venture into the driving situation of the GTO lets talk about the interior. This is not your typical GM interior. The materials are high quality with exceptional fit and finish. The stereo system is an above average 10 speaker multi disc system from a high quality name which currently eludes me. There are no fiddly gadgets or i-drive to speak of, just a fairly driver oriented buy quality interior. Even the trunk space, for all the negative discussion around it, is at least on par with something like a Mustang or Camaro.

So with great comfort in this decent, for the price, womb I set off to see what this 400 bhp monster can do. As soon as I'm out of sight of the dealership I'm on the gas. Turning right at the red light I get my first suprise, I manage to swing the ass end around and go up the road sideways. While of course many cars, even my t/a, can do this type of manuever; I was extremely suprised at how controled the gto was doing it. There was no waving of the arms drama, if you were in the passenger seat and reading a book you might not even have known it was happening, but there it was.

I straightened the car up and came to another red light. Right, time to test the straight line acceleration. I slam the gas when things turn green to light up the tires and smoke goes everywhere. The rear makes a slight left right shimmy, hooks, and off we go to well over the speed limit in under 5 secs. I must say, the drama is less then what I suspect. My current car would do similar times but youd hear the noise and the shake in the entire car to tell you. None of this occurs in the GTO. Whether this is your cup of tea is subjectable. Some will like the drama as it feels like more of an event. Then again that same drama does not provide confidence to the inexperienced driver.

So next I decided to test the brakes. The 2006 GTO's have up rated brakes over the 2004's and it shows. The car stops incredibly fast with no drama from 60. It was at least comparable to my T/A, Impressive for a car weighing a very heavy fat man more.

Finaly I decided it was handling time. I took the car around several tight corners at higher rates of speed. Again the tendancy to inspire confidence. The car didn't feel quite as fast due to the size, but it did seem to hold the road well. It probably would not be the preferable choice for a tight autocross, but it would do exceptionally well on a wider road course for a beginer or someone wanting to showoff.

I pulled the car back into the dealership about 30 minutes later having traveled almost 15 miles. You could still smell the tire smoke and the look on the salesmens face was priceless as I just walked away. So what is my conclusion? At the end of the day it left me wanting a GTO as a daily driver. A car with all the power and the ability to be a hoodlum, without the need to give extreme dilligence at all times. Then again, since this was a test drive I didn't have to pay for gas.

TopGearNL
02-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Nice write up! Was really smiling while reading the last couple of lines! :mrgreen:

I really like this car (well the Monaro (Vxr) but ok) so thanks for giving this little review!

Some interesting small details you stated!

666fast
02-17-2007, 07:33 PM
It still amazes me that the GTO was almost entirely ignored. People were pissing and moaning that we needed a cheap, powerfull V8, rear wheel drive car. Well, the GTO fits that bill and no one cared. I wouldn't mind having one. I don't think it would be much fun in the winter though.

Great review Graywolf!

Mattk
02-17-2007, 08:35 PM
I don't think it would be much fun in the winter though.

It works in OUR winter and that is perfectly satisfactory. :P

The Monaro, as we call it, is probably one of the best daily driver coupes out there. It sells reasonably well here because there are fewer choices, unlike in the US.

dutchmasterflex
02-19-2007, 10:40 AM
What an amazing test drive story.. If I were to try the same thing at a dealer I doubt I would be able to have the same experience as I would probably be turned off as "just a kid." But who knows, I'll have to give it a shot next time I see a GM dealer ;)

Every time I see a GTO I'm reminded of how cheap and unwanted it is.. If I had the money I'd definitely pick one up... I just wish they didn't add the extra plastic "flare" to the later models. I liked the "boring" sleek look of the 2004.. I'm a big fan of fast cars that do not attract attention and can easily blend in with traffic.

pitfield
02-19-2007, 10:58 AM
As a sales exec myself I would kick your ass into the middle of next week if you thrashed any of the cars I allowed you to drive with me.

Go and waste someone else's time you muppett.

dutchmasterflex
02-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Well the Sales rep did say, "go ahead burn off the tires"... :D If a dealer ever said those words to me they would have to come find me to get me back to the dealer ;)

graywolf624
02-19-2007, 08:09 PM
As a sales exec myself I would kick your ass into the middle of next week if you thrashed any of the cars I allowed you to drive with me.

I don't think you quite understand, the sales exec didn't ride in the car with me. I didn't waste more then about 5 mins of his time on a day when they had no customers. (never do on winter saturdays). He handed me the keys, said this route was the best, and said we'll be here go tear the tires off the car. Not exactly waisting anything but the car's gas. The Prius on the other hand, the dealer did the ride along. Usually if you look like you have money they copy your license and say have at it.

What an amazing test drive story.. If I were to try the same thing at a dealer I doubt I would be able to have the same experience as I would probably be turned off as "just a kid." But who knows, I'll have to give it a shot next time I see a GM dealer
You will get there as you get older. When I was your age they required a credit check to let me test drive a wrx (back when I bought my mazda, and I was seriously considering a wrx). In the last year I've test drove a 99 Corvette, 01 Corvette, 06 GTO, 07 Toyota Prius, and a 99 Trans Am by providing just my license. I bought the Trans Am. Every one of the muscle cars I took sideways and in every case the dealer let me go off on my own and told me to lightem up (to coin a phrase). I look a bit older then I am and could afford to buy any of these cars so they don't have much choice in the matter. Now if I tried the same thing at the Porsche dealership I might be in for another ending. (and I will try soon enough).

Mattk
02-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Not exactly waisting anything but the car's gas.

And the tyres, perhaps. 8)

TopGearNL
02-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Now if I tried the same thing at the Porsche dealership I might be in for another ending. (and I will try soon enough).

Hope it works out! :lol:

ZfrkS62
02-19-2007, 11:21 PM

:lol: you call yourself an executive. That's classic :lol:

nthfinity
02-19-2007, 11:29 PM

The quintesential "know it all" car salesman? LMAO

go read somebody else's forum :P

pitfield
02-20-2007, 05:27 AM
In the UK we are known as sales executives, it doesn't mean wehave degrees, it's just normal use ofthe language we call English.

On my subject, I know more than most.

ZfrkS62
02-20-2007, 05:49 AM
dude, it's called marketing :lol:

pitfield
02-20-2007, 06:13 AM
Whatever, it doesn't mean that we think we're clever.

But, if you're trying to make a crust, you don't need people wasting your time.

Mattk
02-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Shouldn't the sales team and the service team be on better terms? :P I mean, there are mutual benefits arising from the success of one or the other within the dealership.

pitfield
02-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Not sure that's what we were talking about but I couldn't agree more. The work carried out by the service department is at the very core of the whole dealership, especially when it comes to selling used cars.

graywolf624
02-20-2007, 07:23 PM
But, if you're trying to make a crust, you don't need people wasting your time.
I don't know how things work in the UK, but here if theres no one to drive the cars they just sit around. If I was taking them away from a line of customers Id agree.. If Im the only one there ... well yeah.

79TA
02-21-2007, 06:35 PM
wow, that was a fun little write up. More to come someday hopefully? I just wished GM would have let it be the Pontiac Monaro instead of a "GTO." It's a great car but that just turned alot of people off, myself included.

ViperASR
02-21-2007, 07:01 PM
nice review, I have yet to drive one of those, but I really really want to. If I had the money I would deff consider buying an 06 GTO. helluva good deal, and I actually like the styling. 8)

As for getting test drives, usually, the easiest is to go to a used car dealership, or try to get a drive in a used car at a new car dealer. Most of the times, the dealer dosnt care as much as they do with the new cars. On the used lots, most of the time they will just take ur license and tell you to have fun, occasionally they will come with you, but not always. I've only been asked for a credit check once, and that was at a ford dealer :roll: . The other dealers have just asked for my license. That's how I've gotten to drive some of the cars that I have, others through my friends. :fadein:

ZfrkS62
02-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Shouldn't the sales team and the service team be on better terms? :P I mean, there are mutual benefits arising from the success of one or the other within the dealership.

well there are certain makes that sell themselves and only requires sales to do the paperwork :wink:

I don't know how many times i've had to explain how to set the vents on the cars because sales didn't go over it with the customer when they took delivery :wink: