PDA

View Full Version : World Car and World Performance COTY

blue8
01-31-2007, 02:29 PM
From Autoblog:
World Car and World Performance Car of the Year finalists announced
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/01/wcoty-trophies.jpg

The WCOTY awards are kind of like the Miss Universe Pageant. Sure, the universe is bigger than America, but we Yanks just love rooting for our local gals in the Miss America Pageant (Congrats, Miss Oklahoma!). In the same way, we're all a twitter to hear which models have won the North American Car and Truck of the Year awards, but the World Car of the Year awards presented at the New York International Auto Show in April often don't get the same attention (unless you count this). Well, let's change that by actually giving a hoot this year. The top ten finalists for the World Car and World Performance Car of the Year awards were announced today, and you can find both lists in full after the jump.

Audi managed to nab the most spots with the Q7 and TT being finalists for the WCOTY award and the RS4 and S6 on the list for the WPCOTY award. German automakers also dominated the list of finalists for the performance car award, with 6 out of 10 coming from either Audi, BMW or Porsche.

You may be wondering why very few domestics (U.S. domestics, that is) seem to be on either of these lists, and that's because to be eligible for either award a car has to be in production and sold in at least five countries on two continents. A panel of 45 jurors will pick the winners, which will be announced in April at the New York Auto Show.

Check out the full lists after the jump along with the WCOTY award press release.

[Source: WCOTY.com]

World Car of the Year Announces Top 10 Finalists

New York, NY – (January 30, 2007): From an initial entry list of twenty-eight (28) new vehicles from all over the world, a short list of ten finalists for the third annual World Car of the Year (WCOTY) awards were announced by the international accounting firm KPMG. The winners of the 2007 WCOTY will be unveiled during Press Preview at the upcoming New York International Auto Show (NYIAS) on Thursday, April 5, 2007.

Vehicles are selected and voted on by an international jury panel comprised of 45 top-level automotive journalists from around the world. To be eligible, the car must be in production, and sold in at least five countries on two continents.

World Car - Top Ten Finalists:
The following Top Ten World Car finalists are listed below in alphabetical order:

* Audi Q7 Audi TT
* Citroen C4 Picasso
* Citroen C6
* Fiat Grande Punto
* Jaguar XK
* Lexus LS 460
* Mercedes CL
* MINI
* Suzuki SX4 / Fiat Sedici

World Performance Car - Top Ten Finalists
In addition, the following Top Ten World Performance Car finalists are:

* Audi RS4
* Audi S6
* BMW 335i
* BMW M / Z4 M Coupe/Roadster
* Ferrari 599 GTB
* Jaguar XKR
* Mazda 3 MPS / Mazdaspeed3
* Porsche 911 GT3
* Porsche 911 Turbo
* Renault Clio Renault Sport

The jurors' next steps are to re-evaluate the "Top Ten" cars in the above categories in preparation for a final round of voting on March 1st. Jury members will specifically rate each vehicle in terms of overall merit, value, safety, environmental responsibility, emotional appeal, and significance. KPMG will tabulate the vote results and the top three finalists will be announced no later than Thursday, March 8th, 2007.

There are no Top Ten finalists for World Green Car or for World Design of the Year. Instead, jurors will vote in those categories on March 1st. The Top Three finalists in all awards categories will then be announced on Thursday, March 8th.

The 2007 World Car of the Year, as well as the winners of the World Performance Car, World Green Car and World Car Design of the Year titles will all be declared on Thursday, April 5, 2007 during a press conference to be held at the New York International Auto Show.

"Announcing the annual World Car of the Year awards at the New York show is a fitting finale to the auto show season that begins each fall with either the Paris or Frankfurt motor shows," said Gerry Malloy, co-chair, WCOTY. "Next, it's on to Tokyo in alternating years. The Detroit show takes centre stage in January while Geneva claims the spotlight in March. Finally, in April, the season reaches its exciting climax at the New York International Auto Show."

About World Car of the Year
The World Car of the Year Awards program is initiated by, organized by, and conducted by, automotive journalists from around the globe. A non-profit association guided by a steering committee of journalists from Asia, Europe, and North America administers the awards program. WCOTY is intended to complement, not compete with, existing COTY awards by raising consumer awareness of regional Car of the Year award programs as well as the World Car of the Year.

rave426
01-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Goooooooo GT3!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing the 335i is just on there because of its turbo technology, because other than that it isnt near as good as the most of the other cars.

TopGearNL
01-31-2007, 05:42 PM
Go GT3! :D

silentm
02-01-2007, 03:44 PM
gogogo Porsche and Audi :D :mrgreen:

Mattk
02-01-2007, 10:40 PM
* Mazda 3 MPS / Mazdaspeed3

This is a performance car? It only has 190kw. :?

Audi TT and Ferrari 599 are my picks.

Firdosh7747
02-01-2007, 11:11 PM
glad to c the rs4 in the list ..love that car

blue8
03-16-2007, 02:29 PM
From Winding Road and WCOTY.com:
Following up from the quarter-finalists announcement in January, now the 44 international judges that make up the World Car of the Year awards jury have let out their top-three lists in the categories Green Car, Car Design, Performance Car, and the overall World Car of the Year for the 2007 model year. The winners are to be announced at the awards ceremony held at the New York Auto Show on the morning of April 5.

2007 World Green Car finalists:
BMW Hydrogen 7
Mercedes-Benz E320 Bluetec
Volkswagen Polo BlueMotion

2007 World Car Design of the Year finalists:
Audi TT
Citroën C4 Picasso
Fiat Grande Punto

2007 World Performance Car finalists:
Audi RS4
BMW 335i
Porsche 911 Turbo

2007 World Car of the Year finalists:
Audi TT
Lexus LS460
MINI

Performance category without the 599 :? :?: :| :!:

79TA
03-17-2007, 03:16 AM
I don't see the Toyota Camry in there, lol. I'm glad to see the world has better taste than motortrend :P

TNT
03-17-2007, 11:23 AM
thats some interesting cars on the list i am looking forward to seeing who wins.

but with the mazdaspeed 3 that car is a great showcase of cheap speed that handles well. and i am glad to see the SX4 on there for what it brings to the sub-20K dollar market.

HeilSvenska
03-17-2007, 09:05 PM
I want these to win

2007 World Car Design of the Year finalists:
Citroën C4 Picasso

2007 World Performance Car finalists:
Audi RS4

2007 World Car of the Year finalists:
Audi TT

Skaala
04-13-2007, 07:29 AM
World Performance car: Audi RS4
World car of the year: Lexus LS460
World green car: Mercedes-Benz E 320 Bluetec
World Car Design of the Year: Audi TT

well done Audi :D :P

TopGearNL
04-13-2007, 08:19 AM
^^ LOL!

Yeah well done Audi, deserved I guess.. :wink:

Skaala
04-13-2007, 08:56 AM
^^ LOL!

Yeah well done Audi, deserved I guess.. :wink:

as JC said if the new M3 is gonna beat the RS4 it has to come with a free moon :D :D :lol: