PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest idea yet from Ford

5vz-fe
01-31-2007, 12:05 AM
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/070131.htm

Ford's wireless Sync system

I seem to be out of Sync. I look around and there are young (and young at heart) people everywhere walking around with mobile electronics (there were 57 million people born between 1981 and 1995). Maybe they are talking or text messaging on a cell phone, sending pictures to a friend, or perhaps you notice the ear bud wires for their MP3 player as they walk along. Mobile electronics communications have changed the way the current generation interacts and now Ford is bringing this to the automobile.

Ford has announced the launch of a new factory-installed, in-car communications and entertainment system based on Microsoft Auto software. It is called Sync and it is an updateable communications tool that will allow consumers the convenience of connecting their mobile electronics to their vehicle electronics seamlessly. The systems can then be operated using voice commands or the vehicle's steering wheel or radio controls. This may sound like science fiction, but it is here today. The 2008 Ford Focus will be the first vehicle to offer the Sync system and it will appear on other 2008 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury products soon.

Using Bluetooth wireless connection technology, Sync can connect up to six different cell phones to the vehicle. With the cell phone initially "paired" to the vehicle, the phone's personal features such as phone book and ring tones are automatically downloaded to the vehicle. The vehicle's built-in microphone and speakers now allow hands-free phone calls to be made. Incoming calls use the phone's distinctive ring tone. For outgoing calls, the caller can say the phone number digits or the person's name that they want to call, so the driver's eyes can stay on the road. Sync even offers call waiting (good when driving), caller ID and three-way calling capability.

Leave the car and your conversation is seamlessly transferred to the cell phone so phone calls are not interrupted. The phone book remains stored in the vehicle's memory even when the phone is out of the vehicle, but the Sync security program will not let it be accessed until the phone is in the vehicle again.

Like to text message instead of talking? Sync works for that too, translating the incoming text message and abbreviations into audio messages played over the vehicle's audio system. Twenty pre-determined responses that can be downloaded and customized, allow the vehicle occupant to say their response instead of stopping to text back a message.

Audiophiles were not left out. Plug in your portable music player and you have voice control of the system. Nearly all portable music players including Apple iPod, all MP3 players with "Plays for Sure" technology, and Microsoft's new music player, Zune work with the Sync system. The system supports MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV and PCM formats, so almost any tune can be played. Driver's can select music by the song, artist, genre, album or playlist simply by pressing the voice command button on the steering wheel and asking for your selection. Sync will let you do everything that you normally would on the portable music player, without ever having to touch it. Then the Sync system will display your selection on the vehicle's audio system display.

A USB 2.0 port on the dashboard can also be used to play music stored on flash memory sticks and can charge the portable player's battery while it is playing.

Sync is fluent in English, French and Spanish. As new software versions become available, Sync can be updated via a web site or from a Ford or Lincoln dealer. The current generation of young adults have grown up connected to the web. Sync will provide new levels of connectivity with automobiles, and instead of having to look away from the road, they can keep their eyes on the road and concentrate on driving. I may have to get in Sync!

Yes keep your eyes on the road, but ur mind completely occupied!! fucktard ideas.

deuces
01-31-2007, 12:25 AM
they need to stop concerning themselves with useless stuff like that and work on making a car that wont fall apart first

nthfinity
01-31-2007, 12:48 AM
BMW and Mercedes were going to do this a few years ago, but never did. Waste of time, instead they stuck a upside down pie tin inside with a easy to use computer system that understand everything you say to it.

wow, sounds like a nearly identical "waste" of time...... how many of us thought that youtube was/is gay, how many think that myspace is for pussies, and panzies? how many of us didn't earn a $ doing it, while somebody else thought up that stupid idea?

It doesn't sound all bad, and if there is an easier way to integrate my everyday life into my plane-jane car; why not? It's not like 95% of us ever drive our sportscar everyday, is it?

Mattk
01-31-2007, 03:07 AM
Not an option that I would spend money on. A bit too much, really.

It's not a bad idea, but I don't think it will be remarkably popular or prove to be remarkably useful.

Stoopie
01-31-2007, 06:26 AM
*sigh* Completely unnessecarily

5vz-fe
01-31-2007, 09:10 AM
BMW and Mercedes were going to do this a few years ago, but never did. Waste of time, instead they stuck a upside down pie tin inside with a easy to use computer system that understand everything you say to it.

wow, sounds like a nearly identical "waste" of time...... how many of us thought that youtube was/is gay, how many think that myspace is for pussies, and panzies? how many of us didn't earn a $ doing it, while somebody else thought up that stupid idea?

It doesn't sound all bad, and if there is an easier way to integrate my everyday life into my plane-jane car; why not? It's not like 95% of us ever drive our sportscar everyday, is it?

How many times have you seen a person on the fast lane doing slow speed and when you finally gave up and pass them, they are holding a phone talking? Making their hands free doesn't make much the situation any different, if any, it only makes ppl used to chat and check messages while driving. Do you really need to sync 6 cellphones in a car, comeon, where's the privacy in that?

pitfield
01-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Do you have a fast lane over there, I though everyone drove at 55.

ViperASR
01-31-2007, 10:58 AM
Im going to say that its a good idea for those that are constantly on their cell phone. It helps keep their eyes on the road rather then on their phone, although like someone said their minds will be long gone from the task of driving. I think its a good idea for those people, but for everyone, it seems a little unnessesary. I have an iPod link in my radio, and that works just fine, I dont need a voice activated Star Trek type thing. As for cell phones, I really try not to talk on mine while driving, and something like this would make it much more tempting, so I'm going to avoid this.

Oh, and Ford, before you dump all this money into some unnessessary c**p, why not make a better car 1st. And make it so ur supercar dosnt fall apart, then spend money on gadgets. :roll: e

TopGearNL
01-31-2007, 12:03 PM
I wish they stop wasting time over this crap and spend more time in the design and engineering department :roll:

Skaala
01-31-2007, 12:14 PM
exept from the voice to text, and the mp3 disc changer was an option with the i-pod cable, and jack-plug, the MMI in the A8 and Q7 does all that. Big news.... :?

dutchmasterflex
01-31-2007, 01:19 PM
^ Exactly, Ford is just playing "catch up." Introducing luxury car technology to the masses.. Happens all the time.

blue8
01-31-2007, 02:33 PM
they should focus on their cars... can't lose any more money as they did the past year

silentm
01-31-2007, 02:56 PM
wow way to go to get the people distracted from what they actually should be doing... driving a car.

if your an experienced driver you can easily handle your cell phone and your car at the same time, but still the biggest hazard imo is the mind being absent from paying attention the road and the surroundings.

actually i htink this is a rather big mistake, talking on the phone while driving should be completely illegal imo.

blinkmeat
01-31-2007, 09:52 PM
this isn't dumb at all :? :?

nthfinity
02-01-2007, 12:21 AM
^^^
agreed. In a normal car, this is nothing wrong IMO... and really just hte opposite

Do you have a fast lane over there, I though everyone drove at 55.

I hear you guys still uses leaded fuel

5vz-fe
02-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Well, I know it is providing the convinence there's no doubt about it. However, it also make us accustom to something that is dividing our attention from the main task in a car.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6309033.stm

Mobile phones

The researchers said the study was particularly relevant to tasks that people have to do in a complex environment, such as flying a plane.

Talking on mobile phones when driving was also dangerous, they said because motorists are bombarded with visual information and might also be talking to passengers.

"Our new research offers neurological evidence that the brain cannot effectively do two things at once. People think if they are using a headset with their cell phone while driving they are safe, but they're not because they are still doing two cognitively demanding tasks at once," said co-author, Dr Rene Marois

Dr Dux added "Dual-task costs can be up to a second, and that's a long time when you're travelling at 60 miles per hour."

The law banning use of mobile phones while driving is to be strengthened from the 27th February when drivers who are caught will get three points on their licence as well as a £60 fine.

A spokesperson for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents said the research confirmed what other studies had shown.

"The research we have seen is whether your on your mobile phone or a hands free kit, you're four times more likely to have a crash.

"It is why we keep saying to people, that the safe thing to do is to turn your mobile off when you are in the car.

"Generally we need people to take on board this research and understand just how dangerous it is."

Dr Narender Ramnani, reader in cognitive neuroscience at Royal Holloway University of London said: "We've always known that doing two things at once is difficult but what MRI tells us is where that bottleneck is occurring.

"We tend to overestimate our ability to do two things at once.

"It highlights that even areas such as the prefrontal cortex, which are very sophisticated, can only do one thing at a time."

PS. yes I am also aware that it is not something new and ground breaking, but I just thought that this isn't a great time for Ford to use this as a turn around idea.

79TA
02-01-2007, 12:37 AM
It should help Ford sell cars. Many people seem to think the act of holding up a cell phone is especially distracting. Many states are passing hands free legislation on that premise. Talking on a headset shouldn't be all that different than talking to your passenger. Of course, an actual passenger will be more concerned about the road than anyone one has dialed on the phone.

Infiniti, even if I don't like the brand, seems to always be receiving praise for it's use of bluetooth features in their "high end" cars. It will be good for Ford to show them that even a common Focus might have the same features.

dutchmasterflex
02-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Yeah I agree with you.. it's sad that they are using this as a major marketing campaign to sell their new cars.

They really need to work and market in other areas of their cars..