PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Volkswagen Golf VI

TopGearNL
01-25-2007, 06:34 PM
I couldn't find anything already on it so here it goes.

Over the weekend several German newspapers have written about something what could be the confirmation of this plan.
It's said that the next generation of the VW Golf will already arrive in 2008, not as planned in 2009, due to the high production costs of the current VW Golf.

http://media.autobild.de/bild/A/40a2f6c40894c8c4bc95d9f9399adc1a_1.jpg

It's not going to be a lot bigger or heavier, but it will get a totally new design following the new design language of VW.
And for the very first VW will not bring a 4-door Golf!

Talking about engines:
Base engine is a 1.4 liter 120 bhp
There will be a 1.4 liter 150 bhp twincharger (turbo plus compressor) in addition to the already known 170 bhp model.
Also VW is doing the switch to common rail diesels with a range of 100 to 170 bhp.
Top model will be a 3.6 liter VR6 FSI with 280 bhp known from the VW Passat and the VW Touareg.

The VW Golf VI will arrive in 2008.

http://media.autobild.de/bild/8/e8ad1c2b4a1e76f157224e5d8249f158_1.jpg

The new Golf will not be a lot bigger or heavier, but a lot better looking.
It will be one one of the first childs to incorporate the new VW design, getting rid of huge metal parts all over the car. In addition it will receive some nice fancy stuff, like LED lights in the side mirrors, being more elegant like nowadays.
But best thing is: it will get a totally new infotainment system.

Its said to be not a facelift but a complete new car and they are not 100% completely sure that it will be launched in 2008 :bah:

ViperASR
01-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Thats odd, considering the MkV is still really new on US shores.

TopGearNL
01-25-2007, 07:25 PM
That can't be true. The Golf V was launched in 2005 if I'm not wrong, and I don't see a new replacer after just 3 years. I guess it's just a general re-styling, but not a full new car. Anyway, the R36 version sounds tempting! :wink:

Don't know Dani..? Updated the topic!

The Volkswagen Golf V was revealed in the Summer of 2003 and also released in that same year :wink:

chest3r
01-26-2007, 12:17 PM
That car in the pics, is obviously just a restyling, but I read a long time ago that the lunch of the next Golf was anticipated because the current one wasn't selling as much as they expected.

dutchmasterflex
01-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Looks like a facelift.. body looks the same, just some new head/tail lights.

Crazy that their putting in 3.6L engines in now.

I'll take a MK1 Golf over a brand new one any day.

gucom
01-26-2007, 01:26 PM
there's no way they wont make a 4-door... looks OK but im simply not a fan of the chrome/aluminium/whatever part at the front of VW's these days... i like the Audi thing better...

redbaron
01-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Before the launch of the Golf V it was already clear that the production costs were way to high. The car was developed in the years of Piech, someone who wanted high-tech cars with excellent quality. The management of VW nowadays wants to build Volkswagens (affordable cars) again. The Golf VI will be a new car, but strongly relying on the Golf V and cheaper to build.

TNT
01-26-2007, 04:36 PM
meh i still hate those grilles

TopGearNL
01-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Before the launch of the Golf V it was already clear that the production costs were way to high. The car was developed in the years of Piech, someone who wanted high-tech cars with excellent quality. The management of VW nowadays wants to build Volkswagens (affordable cars) again. The Golf VI will be a new car, but strongly relying on the Golf V and cheaper to build.

spot on!

I read that too, its too expensive to develop a new one I guess :bah:

Anyway we'll wait and see..

martin100
01-26-2007, 07:12 PM
The Golf V was actually released in late 2003 here in Germany, so 2008 would be ok for a new one IMO. It looks much better than the V aswell.

acmarttin
01-26-2007, 07:15 PM
I like the current one better :?

TopGearNL
01-26-2007, 08:47 PM
The Golf V was actually released in late 2003 here in Germany, so 2008 would be ok for a new one IMO. It looks much better than the V aswell.

Yep thats what I already said, so it wouldn't be that strange actually :bah:

Mattk
01-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Hmm, why won't the make a four-door? That can't be true. If it's just a three-door, it will be an enlarged Polo and no-one would buy it.

TopGearNL
01-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Hmm, why won't the make a four-door? That can't be true. If it's just a three-door, it will be an enlarged Polo and no-one would buy it.

Because if you want a four door you will have to go for the Golf Plus, thats VWs idea behind it..

Mattk
01-27-2007, 05:01 AM
That's just ridiculous, because seriously, no-one will buy the three-doors. I mean, you can get four doors on a Polo as well.

TopGearNL
01-27-2007, 09:56 AM
but that photo posted is not accurate at all.

Please post the accurate pics then :wink:

TopGearNL
01-27-2007, 10:05 AM

there are NO accurate pics released/leaked as of yet, i've only had descriptions offered to me. The descriptions tell me that the next Golf will be a bit lower and more aerodynamic than the current one. It will be less boxy round the back and will have a front end closer to the IROC concept shown last year.

Ok, Ill keep my eyes open for it but thanks for the tip!

tuffguy
01-27-2007, 12:23 PM
So in your opinion, is the current model better (quality,etc) than what they'll build next?

TopGearNL
01-27-2007, 12:33 PM
So in your opinion, is the current model better (quality,etc) than what they'll build next?

Who me? No I like the new look better, thats for sure. But Ive heard they want to save money on the next model and lower the costs. Don't hope that will effect the quality though..

tuffguy
01-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Good point. That's what I'm curious about, whether or not they're gonna lower the cost by making the next one out of lower quality parts.

Z3uS
01-28-2007, 03:03 PM
The headlights seems taken off of brazillian Fiat Palio.

Erez
01-29-2007, 05:21 PM
so did they just got those headlights off the impreza? :? :lol:
..no way this is how it will look.. and you all know it.. these lame ass PS jobs are getting annoying.. :roll:

chest3r
01-29-2007, 06:41 PM

there are NO accurate pics released/leaked as of yet, i've only had descriptions offered to me. The descriptions tell me that the next Golf will be a bit lower and more aerodynamic than the current one. It will be less boxy round the back and will have a front end closer to the IROC concept shown last year.

More aerodynamic, lower, more agressive front...

You've just described... the new Scirocco! :wink: :D

Yeah the Golf will be a 4 door Scirocco. Not a bad idea :D

antonioledesma
02-03-2007, 01:53 PM
That's just ridiculous, because seriously, no-one will buy the three-doors. I mean, you can get four doors on a Polo as well.

I would. I hate 4 or 5 doors cars.

and let us be honests, the golf mk V is a joke with that price tag.
When do VW's stopped being not so expensive and great to drive? Now they're expensive, way too expensive