PDA

View Full Version : Next generation Corvette -- mid-engined?

blue8
01-25-2007, 02:43 PM
From Leftlane News:
GM contemplates mid-engine Corvette
corvette.jpg

A debate is raging within General Motors over the engine layout of next-generation C7 Corvette, according to AutoExtremist. On one side are engineers and product planners who think it's time for the 'Vette to move to a mid-engine layout. In the opposite camp are those who believe tradition and cost considerations are enough to keep the engine up front.

A mid-engine Corvette would most likely cost more than the existing model. What's more, some purists would almost certainly decry such a major change, considering its impact on handling and exterior styling.

Columnist Peter DeLorenzo speculates GM might opt to keep the C7 front-engined, and perhaps build a more expensive and extremely limited production mid-engine model. Such a technological showcase would be a "statement" car from GM, DeLorenzo says.

From Autoblog:
Mr. Peter DeLorenzo is in the know, or so he talks a good game and has got us wondering whether the Corvette will abandon its tried-and-true front-engine format for a more exotic engine placement between the rear wheels. In his latest issue of the Autoextremist, DeLorenzo clues us all in on a furious debate taking place within General Motors concerning the next-generation C7 Corvette. One side wants to finally make the Vette a mid-engine sportscar, while the other, lets call them traditionalists, argue the car's bang-for-the-buck would be destroyed by such a move. Knowing that the Vette's value as an affordable supercar is one of its main selling points, the outcome of this debate could potentially sink the car's sales.

DeLorenzo has a theory of how this will play out, though. According to him, we should expect the next-gen Corvette to be similar to the current model with a engine up front, but it will be lighter and feature at least two engines: a new, small-displacement aluminum V8 and a updated version of the current V8. Above the traditional "People's" Vette will be an extremely exclusive mid-engine version of the car that will cost six-figures and be produced in extremely low numbers, like 500 or so. Will it happen? Who knows, but we've always wanted to see something like the 1990 Corvette CERV III Concept (shown above) go into production.

-- the vette has always had its engine upfront right? a mid-engine version will sort of be like breaking its long tradition

dm_h_2007
01-25-2007, 02:55 PM
That would be cool. They thought about it between 1968 and 1976 with the Xp-8xx prototypes.

http://www.idavette.net/cars/xp880.jpg
This pic is from 1968, Check out that "mobile phone" the model is using! LMAO
http://www.idavette.net/cars/76aero.jpg

jorge
01-25-2007, 02:58 PM
I think it would be great to see other new mid-engined car from GM, but keeping the Corvette the way it is :|

dm_h_2007
01-25-2007, 02:59 PM
I think it would be great to see other new mid-engined car from GM, but keeping the Corvette the way it is :|

Well its not like the normal front engine Vette will ever go away. The mid-engine model would just be an addition, not a replacement.

dm_h_2007
01-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Here is the CERV III Concept the art talks about. Wow that thing had 650 HP even back in 1990!

http://www.idavette.net/cars/cerv3.gif

RC45
01-25-2007, 03:09 PM
This is a stupid idea.

They could/should persue a super-duper Mosler m900 style mid engine version if they want, but why go and throw away the formula just to "join the European" party?

That proves nothing.

This would be as absurd as Porsche saying the Gaymen replaces the 911 and retire the 911.

ViperASR
01-25-2007, 03:11 PM

Well its not like the normal front engine Vette will ever go away. The mid-engine model would just be an addition, not a replacement.

I would be very very expensive to do it that way. Because basically you would need to develop two of everything. Its not like you could just throw the engine in the middle in one trim and in the front in another trim without alot of design work and alot of problems with a design like that.

My guess is that the Corvette will remain front engined, but perhaps they will try to put it closer and closer to the firewall.

gangajas
01-25-2007, 03:17 PM
This is a stupid idea.

They could/should persue a super-duper Mosler m900 style mid engine version if they want, but why go and throw away the formula just to "join the European" party?

That proves nothing.

This would be as absurd as Porsche saying the Gaymen replaces the 911 and retire the 911.

Yeah...What is it going to be the next? A Corvette with a good interior? :D

ViperASR
01-25-2007, 03:26 PM
This is a stupid idea.

That proves nothing.

:lol: low blow....

RC45
01-25-2007, 03:34 PM
This is a stupid idea.

That proves nothing.

As long as it keeps arseholes, pricks, snobs and dingbats from buying the car, the interior can stay the same.

gucom
01-25-2007, 03:43 PM
i really cant see the corvette ever changing its basic concept... btw does any1 think that CERV III concept, especially the coupe, looks a lot like the NSX?

And RC, there's nothing wrong with wanting a quality interior imo? But to be honest, I guess keeping the interior at a relatively simple level is part of what keeps the car as cheap as it is...

RC45
01-25-2007, 03:54 PM
i really cant see the corvette ever changing its basic concept... btw does any1 think that CERV III concept, especially the coupe, looks a lot like the NSX?

Go ask Honda why they copied it then :P

And RC, there's nothing wrong with wanting a quality interior imo? But to be honest, I guess keeping the interior at a relatively simple level is part of what keeps the car as cheap as it is...
There is nothing with wanting a quality interior - and again - the percieved quality is just that "perceived quality".

I bet you didn;t know that BMW's etc use plastic for their center consoles and door panels... that fancy "aluminium"? its just silver paint on plastic.

Nobody has ever been able to show me hands on inside of any car excatrly what bits and pieces make them perceive one interior to be "better quality" than another - when comparing in the same class of car.

As in sports car vs sports car and luxo sedan vs luxo sedan and econ box vs econo box.

I challenge anyone to please demonstrate this perceived "quality" practicly.

gucom
01-25-2007, 04:12 PM
yet it remains a fact that the perceived quality of a corvette is lower than that of some other sports cars, although that's probably (to the corvette's acclaim) when comparing it to its performance rivals, which are mostly in a higher price class

dm_h_2007
01-25-2007, 04:19 PM
This is a stupid idea.

That proves nothing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all they are talking about is making a new mid-engine model in very few numbers as an addition, not a replacement, like I said before. I dont think anyone is talking about replacing the front-engine Vette all together and I agree that would be TERRIBLE! But if its just an addition, in numbers of 500 a year of what ever I dont see the harm and think it would be cool.

Like the gayamn was just an addition, not a replacement.

dm_h_2007
01-25-2007, 04:22 PM
yet it remains a fact that the perceived quality of a corvette is lower than that of some other sports cars, although that's probably (to the corvette's acclaim) when comparing it to its performance rivals, which are mostly in a higher price class

Mostly? The Z06 can beat the F430 and the 599!!! Name even one single car in the same price range as the Vette that can touch it.

RC45
01-25-2007, 04:22 PM
^^^ as long as the Gayman is nto a replacement for the "flawed" forumla that is the 911.

Same with the Corvette - but the problem with a mid-engine car would be which one to race?

The race program will cost zillions of dollars.. so do you build it around the mass produced formula or the ultra limited edition?

dm_h_2007
01-25-2007, 04:29 PM
^^^ as long as the Gayman is nto a replacement for the "flawed" forumla that is the 911.

Same with the Corvette - but the problem with a mid-engine car would be which one to race?

The race program will cost zillions of dollars.. so do you build it around the mass produced formula or the ultra limited edition?

I think Ultra Limited. Let’s face it there is no need at all for mid-engine cars for none track use. They are just for bragging rights and nothing else. Like the F430, it’s a cool car that is great on tracks. But to be honest if I had enough money to buy a Ferrari I would get the 599 over the 430. It’s more practical (lol yeah I know it’s very funny to use that word for either of those cars!) and would be easier/ less suicidal to drive. Even the guys on Top Gear (lets not start yet another thread about if any of them actually know how to drive or not) say that the 430 in "ultra sports mode" or whatever is absolutely terrifying because of its sudden oversteer.

Unless you are a professional driver that will use the car on a track some I don’t think anyone “needs” or should even “want” mid-engine. That said I still think an Ultra Limited mid-engine Vette would be really cool to see and would help boost the Vette’s image even more. After all even Clarkson likes the Vette for the first time ever. (again lets not bother talking about how much we don’t care what he thinks, you can still see the point).

dm_h_2007
01-25-2007, 04:53 PM
The Cadillac CTS-V is a good example. I think I heard the production numbers were only around 2,500 a year, with only 200 made on its first run. So in other words that car was really just made for bragging rights which it did wonderfully. The CTS-V beat the M5 around the ring. And even though there are so few out there it still counts as a production car.

So mission accomplished for GM on that one! I think a mid-engine Vette would be very similar to the CTS-V as far as numbers and what it would do for the name.

McLaren4eVa
01-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Keep the vette how it is, Cheap, Fast and American!

graywolf624
01-25-2007, 07:29 PM
tw does any1 think that CERV III concept, especially the coupe, looks a lot like the NSX?
Its the angle. In real life it has a very weird shapped side view unlike just about anything else.
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/gallery/data/526/51990CERVIII.jpg
Its also very similar style wise to the indy car corvette concept from 1986 (the car in the background of your pic which currently sits at the corvette museum).

rave426
01-26-2007, 01:20 AM
That idea is ignorant.

Why up the cost and change a long tradition just because its different.

The Z06 is already one of the best handling and best base race cars in the world. What the hell would being mid engine do for for it.

Its kicking everybody else ass in LM, so leave it the hell alone. I really think GM is trying hard to make the Vette into a "snob" car. But its known as an affordable supercar, and there are an insane amount a people who buy a new Vette every 2 years (believe it or not). The price needs to stay minimal and the tradition needs to stay rich.

Front-engine all the way. Now a carbon fiber bodied Vette would be nice :D

dm_h_2007
01-26-2007, 01:40 AM
^^-- I agree completely. The Vette is an institution. The $70k, Z06 will beat the 200k+ F430s and 599s on the ring and everywhere else. There is nothing about it that needs to be changed. There is no need to make a mid-engine Corvette!! …..

Unless it would still come in under 150k and rival the Ford GT! This would be the only point. For GM to put up a Ford GT rival. And that would be totally cool!!

Maybe even rival the Saleen S7? LOL But seriously a mid-engine Vette certainly has the potential to be on par with or better than the GT (this has to be the benchmark at the back of everyones mind for a mid-engine Corvette, the GT) and that would be fucking cool as hell!

79TA
01-26-2007, 02:33 AM
Motor Trend was playing around with this idea back in 2001 or so. Anyone remember their prediction of the "'04 Corvette"?

numerouno
01-27-2007, 05:18 AM
Keep the vette how it is, Cheap, Fast and American! Yep fully agree! only cant call a corvette cheap exactly; inexpensive is a better word.

deuces
01-28-2007, 12:48 AM
i dont know if they are gonna have enough money to do the research to build a proper mid-engined car...they are pretty much bankrupt as it is :D

RC45
01-28-2007, 01:40 AM
As long as it keeps arseholes, pricks, snobs and dingbats from buying the car, the interior can stay the same.

We have a shining example right here that its to late for that, so go right ahead try and make an interior on par with even the European eco boxes.... :P ....LOL

I was unaware purchasing an Audi required a lifetime membership to the DickHead Club.

PATo355
01-28-2007, 01:45 AM
The vette HAS to have FRONT ENGINE , HUGE Bonnet , huge engine , that cant change ...

blinkmeat
01-28-2007, 05:17 AM
Cool

Never been a traditionalist when it comes to cars -- If the car is going to preform better under these circumstances then great 8)

Stoopie
01-28-2007, 05:38 AM
Hm will be interesting to see what a mid engine will do to its performance then!

gobs3z
01-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the vette technically a front/mid-engine design like the SLR? And the way they have it set up with the trans in the rear gives it great weight distribution. I honestly don't think they would gain a huge advantage if they went rear/mid-engined since their design is already very solid. But i wouldn't mind seeing a mid-engined GM car go to Le Mans, but there is no way they could do it with the Vette and keep loyalist which are a huge part of their sales.

RC45
01-28-2007, 08:50 AM
^^ you are correct.

The car is a front/mid with the engine behind the front axle.. and the rear mounted transmission does allow the car to be quite balance and predictable most of the time.