PDA

View Full Version : Audi R8 First Drives!

blue8
01-22-2007, 11:45 AM
World Exclusive! 2008 Audi R8 first drive

By Angus MacKenzie

The all-new R8 takes Audi into territory it's never been before - somewhere between Porsche and Ferrari. It's a bold move, and one that not even bigger, more experienced rivals Mercedes-Benz and BMW have managed to achieve successfully, despite a number of serious attempts with cars like the McLaren SLR and M1. So what makes Audi think it can do it?

The answer, in part, is dramatic design and advanced technology. The R8's cab-forward stance, aggressive graphics, taut surfacing, and jewel-like detailing are a thoroughly contemporary take on the sports car theme that make both the Porsche 911 and Ferrari's F430 look old fashioned. Under the skin is an aluminum space frame, a mid-mounted 4.2-liter V-8 that delivers 100hp-per-liter without supercharging, all-wheel drive, and sophisticated aerodynamics. This car was the pet project of former Audi boss Martin Winterkorn - newly promoted to head of the entire VW Group - and it shows.

Slide in behind the wheel and the R8 is at once surprising and familiar. The familiar stuff is all the Audi hardware - instruments, switchgear, even the MMI user-interface system - lifted from the sedans. The interior design is unique to R8 and driver-focused, but it's as beautifully finished and tightly assembled as that of an A8. The surprising stuff is how roomy the cabin feels - the seats slide waaay back, there's enough headroom for an NBA player, and you can even store a couple of golf bags on the shelf behind the seats - and how good the all-round visibility is for a mid-engined car.

Twist the key, and the 420hp V-8 - fundamentally the same engine as used in the RS4, though with a dry-sump to get it lower in the car and cope better with high-G cornering - booms into life behind your shoulder blades. It sounds cammier, more mechanical than in the RS4, mainly because there's less sound deadening around it.

Two six speed transmissions will be available for the R8 when it goes on sale here in the U.S. later this year, both shared with the R8's close cousin, Lamborghini's Gallardo. Local Audi execs predict 50 to 70 percent of U.S. R8 buyers will choose the automated manual (an updated version of the Lambo's E-gear system called R tronic) over the regular version (which has the same metallic gate as the Gallardo). If you're smart, though, you'll choose to be in the minority - although improved, R tronic is nowhere near as crisp and responsive as Ferrari's F1 automatic manual, and nowhere near as smooth and refined as VW Group's own twin-clutch DSG (which is only available with transverse-mounted engines for now).

Run the R8 through the gears and the V-8 spins right to its 8250rpm redline with a velveteen growl and an elastic surge of thrust that will get you to 60mph in a tick over four seconds. Some 90 percent of the engine's peak torque of 317lb-ft is available between 3500 and 7500rpm, which is good news because you don't need to be constantly muscling the somewhat deliberate shifter to keep the R8 on the boil.

In fact, the overwhelming first impression of the R8 is just how effortless it is to drive. The ride is excellent for mid-engine sports car on low profile tires (our tester had the optional 19 inch rims fitted with 235/35ZR19 Pirelli P Zeros up front and 295/30ZR19 boots at the rear; standard wheel is an 18 inch item). On cars with the optional magnetic ride shocks there seemed little difference in the ride quality between the standard and the sport settings, although the car turned in harder and rolled less in sport mode.

The R8 shares its basic layout, aluminum space frame construction, and a number of components with the Lamborghini Gallardo. But it's a very different car, and not just because of a wheelbase that's 3.5 inches longer than the Lambo's. Front suspension is similar, but at the rear is a new toe-control link promotes rear wheel toe-in during hard cornering to improve stability. The R8 also has much more wheel travel than the Gallardo, and is more softly sprung and damped. Front to rear weight distribution is identical at 44/56 percent, making the R8 the most rear-biased Audi in modern history, a trait amplified by the variable torque split, which funnels as little as 15 percent and no more than 35 percent of the traction action to the front wheels.

On the race track the R8 will understeer through the turns until you lift off the gas, when the tail will come around. It's not a white-knuckle snap, but a smooth, clearly telegraphed transition that's easy to predict. With the traction control disabled (which automatically lifts the intervention threshold of the stability control) the R8 will drift gently through the turn in a beautifully predictable slide. To get really sideways you need to switch off the stability control altogether, but in truth you'll be a lot slower around the track.

Audi engineers say they wanted the limits of the R8's chassis to be more approachable than those normally associated with a mid-engined supercar, or the tail heavy Porsche 911. "It starts to rotate [from understeer to oversteer] earlier than a 911," admitted one, "but it's much more controllable." It certainly feels very confidence inspiring, and there's little evidence to suggest the R8's ultimate dynamic ability has been compromised much - Audi sources claim that with a lap time of 7min 55sec, the R8 is only 11 seconds slower around the legendary 14 mile Nurburgring Nordschliefe than the Lamborghini Gallardo, which of course has 100hp more.

In terms of ride, stability and agility, then, the R8 is truly impressive. It stops well, too, thanks to the vented and cross-drilled disc brakes all round. Audi offers ceramic brakes as an option. The front rotors are a massive 15 inches in diameter, are clamped by eight piston calipers, and can be dynamited lap after lap without inducing the merest hint of fade. The ceramics are overkill for the street, though, and difficult to modulate smoothly, especially around town. And at about $10,000, they're not cheap.

The R8's biggest dynamic weakness is its video-game steering, which just doesn't have the clarity of an F430 or the tactility of a 911, even an all-wheel drive Carrera 4. The steering is accurate, but there's little feel or feedback through the helm; little sense that you're intimately connected to what's going on at the front of the car. The corollary of this, of course, is the R8 is very relaxing on the freeway.

Final pricing has yet to be determined, but it's expected the R8 will retail for $110,000 to $120,000. That puts it in well-specced 911 Carrera 4S or base 911 Turbo territory, but well under F430 and Gallardo. It needs better steering, and a DSG transmission, but overall the R8 is an intriguing ride. It's not as raw as the 911, nor as surgical as the F430; if anything, it comes across as a mid-engine GT you can use 24/7 like a Porsche, with a user-friendliness that recalls an Acura NSX.

2008 AUDI R8
Base price $110,000-$120,000 (MT est)
Vehicle layout Mid-engine, AWD, 2-pass, 2-door coupe
Engine 4.2L/420hp/317lb-ft direct-injection DOHC 32-valve V-8
Transmission 6-speed manual and automated manual
0-60 mph 4.1sec (MT est)
Top speed 187mph (Mfr est)

THE FRAME

The R8 uses the latest iteration of the aluminum space frame technology Audi has been developing since the 1990s. The load bearing structure consists of extruded aluminum sections linked by pressure-cast aluminum nodular joints. Aluminum panels are incorporated to add rigidity. The complete body features 325 ft of seam welds, 308 self-tapping screws, 782 rivets, and weighs just over 460 lb.
Click Here!

THE UNDERTRAY

Audi has paid a lot of attention to optimizing the R8's aerodynamics. The fully enclosed undertray features race-car style diffusers ahead of the front and rear wheels, and at the rear of the car that work in conjunction with a rear spoiler that deploys at speed to generate downforce. The NACA duct between the front wheels is to cool the front differential; the one in the middle of the car is for cooling the fuel tank; and the three at the rear of the car are for engine compartment cooling.

THE ENGINE

The 4.2-liter V-8 develops 420 horsepower and will rev to 8250 rpm. At 90 percent of its 317 lb-ft of maximum torque is available between 3500 and 7500 rpm. Audi's FSI direct injection system allows a 12.5:1 compression ratio, and a dry sump system allows the engine to be located lower in the frame, lowering the overall center of gravity.

THE SUSPENSION

The engine is slightly offset from the centerline of the car to allow driveshaft to exit the transmission and run forward to the front differential. Suspension is double wishbone all-round, similar to the Lamborghini Gallardo, but with the addition of a toe-control link to improve stability during cornering.

THE BRAKES

Optional ceramic brake package features 15 inch front rotors with six piston calipers. The discs are made from silicon carbide embedded with high-strength carbon fibers. Audi claims the ceramic system saves almost 10lb in unsprung weight, and that the rotors will last up to 186,000 miles. Likely cost for the U.S. would be about $10,000.

THE LIGHTS

The 12 bright white LED running lights give the R8 a unique "light signature" at night and surround LED headlights that are a world first for a production car, using a total of 22 light emitting diodes arranged in seven groups of two or four and projecting their light via a complex array of reflectors and lenses.

THE PLANT

The R8 will be built at Audi's Neckarsulm plant in Germany, which specializes in the production of aluminum space frame vehicles. Output is just 22 vehicles a day, and total production will be limited to about 4000 vehicles a year. There are 5196 parts in the R8, and many arrive pre-assembled, including the engine, which is built in Audi's plant in Gyor, Hungary.

- i think some German magazines have driven the car before even comparing it to the Gallardo and F430... good article anyway

inso
01-22-2007, 11:55 AM
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic/112_0701_2008_audi_r8
with pictures, White <3 <3

TopGearNL
01-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks Blue8 8)

yg60m
01-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks dude :wink: Can't wait to see the first video tests. I know it's scheduled on AMS next sunday :P

McLaren4eVa
01-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks blue8, interesting read and like yg60m i can't wait for the road tests.

martin100
01-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Yep, its not the first drive like you´ve written. AutoBild has driven it several times before. But there is no real comparison test yet!

RCV
01-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Looks rather interesting, this Audi. Do you guys think it´ll be a sales success? Would you own one of these?

sentra_dude
01-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Cool article, the first review I've read of it definitely. That being said, why do they have to go and say something stupid like "World Exclusive!" when other mags have already driven it...:roll:

Sounds like a really top quality car, and unique looks for sure. That being said, would I drop $120,000 on one of these? Nah...I think I'd opt for a 997 turbo if I was spending that kind of cash. 8)

Thanks. :D

TopGearNL
01-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Looks rather interesting, this Audi. Do you guys think it´ll be a sales success? Would you own one of these?

Theres a big topic going on about the Audi R8 but no I wouldn't like to own one and I can't really say anything about whether it will be a succes or not, personally I don't think so... :bah:

blue8
01-23-2007, 07:41 AM
Motor Trend Video:
http://www.motortrend.com/av/features/112_0703_2008_audi_r8_driving

From CAR Magazine:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/images/article_images/AudiR8drive_6_560px.jpg
A mid-engined supercar from Audi – how extraordinary...
Make no mistake, this is a seminal motoring moment. The R8 is Audi’s first mid-engined supercar, designed to prove that Ingolstadt can mix it with pedigree sporting brands like BMW and Porsche.

The launch version – running a V8 – costs £77k, a chunky price tag which illustrates Audi’s three-decade transformation into a true luxury car player. And with a 187mph top speed, it’s also the fastest production Audi. All very exciting – but does the driving experience live up to this billling…

Cut to the chase: does it handle?
Yes – better than any current Audi. With the 414bhp 4.2-litre mounted amidships in a beautiful carbonfibre cradle, the R8 eliminates Audi’s typically nose-heavy dynamics.

Only 44 percent of weight is up front, although the massive overhang could fool some into thinking the lump hangs over the front axle. Until you peer into that glass display case up back, the trademark of an Italian exotic.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/images/article_images/AudiR8drive_8_560px.jpg
It’s like a Lamborghini then…
Funny you should say that. The R8 has the same aluminium spaceframe construction as the Gallardo from Audi’s Italian outpost, and it sends power to all four wheels, too. But the R8 is a very different beast. It’s 131mm longer overall, and the R8 is pitched as an everyday supercar, with heaps of space for two and no fear of claustrophobia.

Visibility is unusually good for a sports car, too. And Audi claims there’s room for two sets of golf clubs between seat backs and bulkhead (although you might wish to take your set to the showroom before buying), and the undivided front boot is more practical than a Gallardo’s.

The cockpit has neat design touches like asymmetric door handles and bright white instrument graphics, and the materials are fabulous. It’s certainly superior to its Lamborghini counterpart, despite an asking price some £30k cheaper.

Grippy four-wheel drive? Hardly a sideways machine, then…
Oh, it can be. First, hold down the stability control button for three seconds, and the system is deactivated. Second, find a slippery road surface – the dusty twisties of the Nevada desert (where the R8 was launched) were ideal. Third, swing the flat-bottomed wheel eagerly and boot the right pedal.

The back end swings out of line, and the slide can be choreographed nicely with the throttle. It won’t endlessly powerslide like an M3, but it’s fun enough to bring out the devil in you. And how many Audis can you say that about?

Are the controls more communicative, too?
The hydraulic rack takes three turns from lock-to-lock, but it’s quicker than it sounds. And you get a decent feel for the undulations of the scarred Nevada tarmac. Carbon ceramic brakes are available on the R8, but the standard steel ones – clamped by eight pistons up front and six at the back – are so aggressive, you can save your cash.

Don’t go for the sequential R-tronic box, either. A tweaked version of the Lambo’s e-gear transmission, it’s neither Ferrari F1 quick nor DSG smooth and is prone to judder in traffic. And the paddles are too small, so opt for the manual instead.

It's quick, I take it...
Of course, but acceleration doesn’t feel ballistic. Indeed, in today’s climate of nutty Q-cars, the RS6+ Avant is as fast as an R8 with a shared 4.6sec 0-62mph sprint. But here the V8 – the naturally aspirated, high-revver from the RS4 saloon – is perfectly positioned to make the hairs erect on the back of your neck, rather than being slung out up front.

Yet the R8 sounds curiously quiet, unless you’re wringing its neck. You’ll have to drop to third or fourth for rapid progress at higher speeds, because the V8 is quite peaky. The forthcoming V10 version should address these quibbles, though.

I’m going off it…
Don’t. The R8 doesn’t feel staggeringly fast partly because it’s so refined. It’s not just the muffled engine, but the lack of wind noise at UK motorway speeds, and well-suppressed tyre noise. Wind the car up to 150mph and the R8 feels so well planted, so solid, that you could probably press on to the 187mph top speed without breaking sweat.

The ride quality is also sensational. The R8’s double wishbone suspension eliminates Audi’s typical loping gait, and the magnetic ride suspension option is a work of magic. Applying an electrical charge to magnetic particles in the damper fluid stiffens them, tying down the body while maintaining comfort levels.

Verdict
An Audi supercar was a big risk, even though it was ameliorated by piggy-backing an established heavyweight like Lamborghini’s Gallardo. But Ingolstadt has pulled it off – spectacularly.

The R8 is handsome, dynamic and its refinement level carves out a new niche. If you want a supercar that rides well, and won’t wear you down on a long motorway drive, the R8 is your car.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/images/article_images/AudiR8drive_7_560px.jpg
Need to know: Audi R8
How much? £76,725
On sale in UK: summer
Engine: 4163cc 32v V8, 414bhp@7800rpm, 317lb ft@4500rpm
Transmission: Six-speed manual/semi-auto, four-wheel drive
Performance: 4.6sec 0-62mph, 187mph, 20.7mpg
How heavy/made of? 1565kg/ aluminium spaceframe
How big (length/width/height in mm)? 4431/1904/1252
Or try a... Porsche 911 Carrera S, Lamborghini Gallardo, BMW M6
Rating 4 out of 5
• READ OUR 17-PAGE DRIVE OF THE AUDI R8, SHOT ON LOCATION IN NEVADA, IN THE MARCH ISSUE OF CAR. IT HITS THE SHELVES ON 31 JANUARY

Neema702
01-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Sounds like a really top quality car, and unique looks for sure. That being said, would I drop $120,000 on one of these? Nah...I think I'd opt for a 997 turbo if I was spending that kind of cash. 8)

Thanks. :D

Exactly! totally agree Senta_dude.

martin100
01-26-2007, 07:59 PM
I really think it will success, and according to all magazines that have driven it, it seems to be awesome!

TopGearNL
01-26-2007, 08:43 PM
I really think it will success, and according to all magazines that have driven it, it seems to be awesome!

Ive read that too but whenever I see this car I always think about the NSX. Not from a technical point of view but from a marketing.

I still think its too expensive, because after all its still an Audi and look at all the stuff you can buy for $120,000 :wink:

blue8
01-26-2007, 10:08 PM
by the way, check the march 2007 issue of Winding Road for another comprehensive review on the R8 (with great pics too)!

TopGearNL
01-26-2007, 10:47 PM

Ive read that too but whenever I see this car I always think about the NSX. Not from a technical point of view but from a marketing.

I still think its too expensive, because after all its still an Audi and look at all the stuff you can buy for $120,000 :wink:

Well not too diss Honda or anything but Audi got more racing heritage than Honda, Audi also are for another segment of buyers than Honda are so I think it will be easier to sell the Audi...

That is true Brembo, no denial in that!

But I don't know if that will still make it a succes. Just have to wait and see, I do like the car I would just never buy it..

inso
01-27-2007, 03:15 AM
"When Lamborghini launches the facelifted 2008 Gallardo later this year, it will feature a number of improvements owed directly to its sibling, the Audi R8. As it turns out, even Lamborghini engineers have a few things to learn from their German counterparts at Audi.

The R8 sports car is based on the Gallardo, but it Audi engineers made a number of improvements of their own to the architecture. Audi development chief Ulrich Hackenberg told Edmunds the R8 will donate its rear suspension and a number of other unspecified components to the updated Gallardo.

The updated Gallardo is also rumored to get an improved version of the company's 5.0-liter V10 engine, with as much as 550 horsepower."

blue8
01-27-2007, 10:06 AM
"The updated Gallardo is also rumored to get an improved version of the company's 5.0-liter V10 engine, with as much as 550 horsepower."

Off-topic, but as great as the F430 and 911 Turbo are, they need similar power upgrades to at least keep up with the Gallardo in terms of horsepower. I know that horsepower does not indicate performance level but I want power-crazy competition between these three cars :twisted:

on the R8, as good as the reviews are, i'm slightly skeptical about it's financial success, because, despite their good 2006 sales year especially in the US, i'm not exactly positive about people spending that much on an Audi.

r2r
01-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Performance: 4.6sec 0-62mph

... but in the video it's told to be 4.1sec, that's quite a bit of diffrence!

5vz-fe
01-28-2007, 04:19 AM
A pretty face, but I really don't see it as a real competitor of the 997 even just the S model will give probably out lap and easier to live with in day-to-day basis. I really think Audi pricing it wrong....but I guess only time will tell.

Stoopie
01-28-2007, 05:39 AM
Thanks, that seems to be a pretty cool car :D

yg60m
01-28-2007, 02:02 PM
First (german of course) test of the beast : http://www.autoclips.net/video/5498

Just_me
01-28-2007, 04:12 PM
in latest german Autozeitung there is a battle between R8 and Z06, with laptimes and accelerationnumbers. I havent read it myself so I dont know what they said about the cars.

Sir_GT
01-28-2007, 04:29 PM
I thought this thing sold out in Germany?

I wouldn't mind getting this car at all. Although admittedly, the 997 Turbo is a far tempting option... BUT... this'll really make you stand out.

ae86_16v
03-29-2007, 02:07 AM
Pricing just announced, that is mighty expensive:

Audi's mid-engined flagship, the R8, now has a price associated with it. Those who opt for the version equipped with a six-speed manual will need to pony up $109,000 at minimum. Deletion of the clutch pedal in favor of the R tronic transmission raises the entry fee to $118,000. Something tells us that price won't be an obstacle to sales, as the concept-inspired R8 is sure to have the well-heeled waiting impatiently at dealers, checkbooks in hand.

The list of available options is relatively short but distinguished, headlined by Audi's 465-watt Bang & Olufsen audio system, a Convenience Package (parking camera, Bluetooth, etc.), a navigation system, and dress-up components like an Alcantara headliner and additional leather packages for the Porsche/Ferrari-fighter. Full details can be found after the jump.

[Source: Audi]

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/28/audi-r8-us-prcing-to-start-at-109-000/

5vz-fe
03-29-2007, 02:35 AM
That is the same price tag as a 997 GT3 or a Carrera 4S w/ change for better rims.

That said, I am sure they won't have trouble moving them out of the lot.

acmarttin
03-29-2007, 04:41 AM
That is the same price tag as a 997 GT3 or a Carrera 4S w/ change for better rims.

Definitely not. Obviously there will be price hikes and cars sold 10-15 grand at least over MSRP at dealerships when this first comes out.

ae86_16v
03-29-2007, 04:44 AM

I don't know, I don't think this car compares to the 997 GT3 ($106k) in terms of performance (GT3 is better). The 997 C4S is only $88k.

No, I don't think they will have a problem moving them out the door, but it isn't a very good buy and there are better sports cars on the market especially for that price.

Definitely not. Obviously there will be price hikes and cars sold 10-15 grand at least over MSRP at dealerships when this first comes out.

I expect a M3 to be 10-15k over MSRP when first introduce (e.g. E46 M3), this one will probably be at least 25k over. If not more.

blue8
03-29-2007, 05:45 AM
Seems too expensive and this is just the V8 version (imagine how expensive the rumored V10 would be). And I agree, there are a number of options in the market that would be better. Might as well save up and get the 997 Turbo :D

Skaala
03-29-2007, 12:52 PM
thanks!

^@r2r, car & driver tested 4.0 seconds from 0-60 :)

TopGearNL
03-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Seems too expensive and this is just the V8 version (imagine how expensive the rumored V10 would be). And I agree, there are a number of options in the market that would be better. Might as well save up and get the 997 Turbo :D

The main problem of this car is the badge. Only the Audi freaks - Schwalbe, Skaala - will buy it. The rest won't be so willing to spend Porsche-money in an Audi :wink:

As for the V10 - if it's price is close to the Gallardo's... then it will be an absolute failure. Given the money, which one would you take? the exotic sexy italian - or the boring german that goes just as fast, but lacks all the passion? :bah:

I'd rather spend my money on a 997TT :P

Couldn't have said it any better! I absolutely agree!

This car is really fast, good and I like it. But its still an Audi..

I kinda see it like the NSX, really great car but still a Honda..

This car could still be hugely popular if it was cheaper then its rivals, but if the R8 is just as expensive as the Gallardo who would go for the R8 like you said Dani? :bah:

ae86_16v
03-29-2007, 01:40 PM

But the NSX was cheap when it came out, on top of that, it was revolutionary in its engine (VTEC) and chassis (aluminum) design. It was competing with the likes of Ferrari back in the early 90s.

I don't think this car would be up there with Porsche muchless Ferrari.

5vz-fe
03-29-2007, 01:51 PM
^Actually, NSX is very expensive when it came out. (cheap maybe compared to a Ferrari) When NSX first came out, it's almost equals a 964 Tagra in terms of price. With a "H" badge on it, it can never compete with a Ferrari, period.

TopGearNL
03-29-2007, 02:13 PM
^^ Thats what I meant..

But I was talking about the name ae86_16v, the car in general you know :wink:

5vz-fe
03-29-2007, 02:30 PM

But the NSX was cheap when it came out, on top of that, it was revolutionary in its engine (VTEC) and chassis (aluminum) design. It was competing with the likes of Ferrari back in the early 90s.

I don't think this car would be up there with Porsche muchless Ferrari.

Actually, you shouldn't use "On Top of That". It HAS TO. Without all those, it will be just a Honda's version of the MR2.