PDA

View Full Version : The next TVR Typhoon

vexor
01-14-2007, 04:55 PM
http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/Small/TVR/Typhoon/tvr_main.jpg
- cpu render

With the release of reports claiming that the TVR brand was not dead after all, rumors of a 600BHP carbon fibre-bodied supercar in the works have a little more backing to them. Carrying the “Typhoon” name-tag, the new supercar will run a highly modified version of TVR’s 4L inline six engine. UK engineering firm Ricardo has been given the responsibility of developing the motor to the tune of 600BHP and 500lb-ft of torque.

The car is expected to make its debut at March’s Geneva Motor Show, with production to start soon after. Built to celebrate TVR’s 60th anniversary, the production run will be limited to 60 units with a price-tag of around £120,000. Design work is being carried out entirely by CAD, and production will see extensive use of carbon fibre for the body panels and floor for the first time.

Total weight should be close to 1100kg, which should enable the car to reach 62mph from rest in less than 4 seconds, while top-speed should be in excess of 200mph. Stopping this brute will be a pair of six-pot AP Racing callipers up front and four-pot brakes at the rear, all hidden behind a set of lightweight 19inch alloys. Bilstein dampers, carbon-shelled Sparco seats and possibly a satnav system could make it into the final version. TVR is expected to host a press conference in London on the 17th of this month to announce its future plans.
- MotorAuthority.com

HeilSvenska
01-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Interesting? I hope this is just a design study, not what the car's actually going to look. I hope this succeeds. Last super TVRs didn't do so well.

TopGearNL
01-14-2007, 07:02 PM
It sure looks aggressive! Is this the car which will have to save TVR?

saadie
01-14-2007, 07:04 PM
looks nice ... looks like a body kit on the sagaris thou .. but hell .... i love TVR's 8)

McLaren4eVa
01-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Bring Back TreVoR!

Sir_GT
01-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Hmmm... actually looks pretty good.

crazidude
01-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Hrm.. 4L straight 6 with 600hp and 500lb-ft. Sounds unlikely, but delicious.

sameerrao
01-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Doesnt GM own rights to the word Typhoon?

BADMIHAI
01-17-2007, 07:18 PM
I thought NATO owned the rights to the name. Or does it go to the Soviet Navy? :roll: :mrgreen:

I guess they listened to Clarkson and decided to give it crazy Russian names (although not technically Russian (I think), it does bring about the image of a huge nuclear sub). 8)

sameerrao
01-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Forgot about the sub :mrgreen:

Firdosh7747
01-17-2007, 08:25 PM
dats dirtay

TopGearNL
01-17-2007, 08:28 PM

What about the 2nd WW fighter the Hawker Typhoon. Or the Eurofighter Typhoon :wink:

Schwalbe
01-18-2007, 02:34 AM

What about the 2nd WW fighter the Hawker Typhoon. Or the Eurofighter Typhoon :wink:

And the GMC Typhoon... :wink:

On that, I hope GM will sue the Russian Kid for the use of Typhoon name. :lol:

Stoopie
01-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Hm the front looks a bit like a TVR, hope they make it a bit more 'smooth'..

TopGearNL
01-18-2007, 04:39 AM
Hm the front looks a bit like a TVR, hope they make it a bit more 'smooth'..

It is a TVR, what were you expecting it to look like :lol:

Stoopie
01-18-2007, 05:06 AM
^ I expect it to look like a TVR, not a bit like a TVR :) This one just misses a bit of smoothness the other TVR have.

TopGearNL
01-18-2007, 05:33 AM
^ I expect it to look like a TVR, not a bit like a TVR :) This one just misses a bit of smoothness the other TVR have.

Should choose your words more careful...

Mattk
01-18-2007, 05:34 AM
Isn't "typhoon" a bit too common to be trademarked?

This is promising for TVR. I think they should go all out to build this thing and get street-cred.

I thought NATO owned the rights to the name. Or does it go to the Soviet Navy?

I'm not sure the Soviets called it the Typhoon. I believe Typhoon was the name NATO gave the sub.

pitfield
01-18-2007, 05:40 AM

Yeah, just what financially strapped Trevor needs, good thionking.

The last Uber TVR, a V12 850 monster weighing 1050kg was banned by then Trev boss Peter Wheeler on the grounds that it was 'too fast'.

I've driven, Tuscan, T350c, and Sagaris and loved them, but easily the three scariest cars I've ever touched. Great.

TopGearNL
01-18-2007, 05:41 AM
I'm not sure the Soviets called it the Typhoon. I believe Typhoon was the name NATO gave the sub.

Spot on!

The Typhoon class submarine is a type of nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine deployed by the Soviet Navy in the 1980s. With a maximum displacement of 48,000 tonnes, Typhoons are the largest class of submarine ever built. The NATO reporting name stems from the use of the word "typhoon" (тайфун) by Leonid Brezhnev in a 1974 speech while describing a new type of nuclear ballistic missile submarine. The Typhoon class was developed under Project 941 as the Russian Akula class (Акула), meaning shark. It is sometimes confused with other submarines, as Akula is the name NATO uses to designate the Russian Project 971 Shchooka-B (Щука-Б) class attack submarines.

Stoopie
01-18-2007, 06:40 AM

*sigh*

TopGearNL
01-18-2007, 07:14 AM

*sigh*

Yeah you can say that but the words you used in your first post were confusing.. They still are LOL

Stoopie
01-18-2007, 07:40 AM
http://www.allthatcowboy.com/CTPML1.jpg

;)

Yeah you can say that but the words you used in your first post were confusing.. They still are LOL

That's because I didn't change them. I think I made my point clear, no need for arguiing on this.

BADMIHAI
01-18-2007, 10:05 AM

LMAO! GM goons (hopefully those who visited RC) go to TVR owner's house and never come back. "Vee put thiem on ice. Thei needed to relax."

TopGearNL
01-18-2007, 01:14 PM
http://www.allthatcowboy.com/CTPML1.jpg

;)

That's because I didn't change them. I think I made my point clear, no need for arguiing on this.

Yeah yeah, act childish but the point is they still don't make sense. Never mind...

HeilSvenska
01-18-2007, 01:51 PM
"Vee put thiem on ice. Thei needed to relax."

Ahahahhahahhahahah. :lol:

Mattk
01-18-2007, 08:08 PM
"Vee put thiem on ice. Thei needed to relax."

:lol: Yeah, I could imagine that happening.