PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII

System
01-09-2007, 12:06 PM
http://img101.imagevenue.com/loc342/th_58571_Mitsubishi_Lancer_Evo_VIII_122_342lo.jpg (http://img101.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=58571_Mitsubishi_Lancer_Evo_VIII_122 _342lo.jpg)

TopGearNL
01-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Cool but not more..

Possibly the fastest car from getting from A to B, but not the one with the most fun :P

TopGearNL
01-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Supercar performance, tons of grip... and a turbo engine that is able to outrun many "sports car" :D

So the verdict? :wink:

tuffguy
01-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Why the VIII and not the IX?

http://www.technogeeky.com/cars/Evo_ix_se/ix_vs_viii.jpg

Ghostbat
01-09-2007, 01:06 PM
One of few cars on the cool wall I've actually driven and it was some serious good fun. That makes it cool.

tuffguy
01-09-2007, 01:11 PM
And why not? :wink:

I don't know really - I had this pic in the computer and that's the pic I've posted... :D
I'm a little biased.

:twisted:

TopGearNL
01-09-2007, 01:19 PM
An Evo is a Evo :wink:

sameerrao
01-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Cool car IMO.

Like a little terrier, the Evo and STi can drag themselves thru corners like much more powerful and vaunted sports cars. And when the weather goes bad - they can go into the distance.

I think perhaps one of the best affordable trackday weapons - can beat higher powered cars like the Z06 - right RC :P ;)

The car has rally cred even through in recent years they have done dogshit. My fave Evo is the Tommi Makkinen car - Evo 6 (correct model?) 8)

To me though a car like this makes sense only if you drive it like you stole it - meaning full throttle, banzai style. I am not sure its hard suspension and turbo lag would be condusive to normal driving/relaxing drive home. I believe its hardcore nature appeals to people in the 18-25 age group. Once older, one would gravitate to a more luxurious sports sedan like say a used M5 and a proper 2 door sports car like a 993, Vette,etc.

I am also not a fan of its engine note - pretty dull.

Very effective car and has a rabid fan population - therefore deserves a Cool rating for sure :)

chest3r
01-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Uncool, to me.

This a really bad car to own.

I've seen some of people who doesn't know nothing about cars and see this 4 door saloon with a lot of air intakes and that big rear wing and they think it's just a riced up car.

I don't think I would to be seen as a ricer :roll:

But, I have another point. The Evo 7 is quite diferent from the 6 and it looks cool. This is just a small evolution, and the Evo 9 looks a bit better than this IMO.

ae86_16v
01-09-2007, 10:13 PM
WRC heritage is enough for me to put it into "Cool".

HeilSvenska
01-09-2007, 10:23 PM
First of all, the cabin's very very very poor, and so are the people who sell them, at least in California.

Anyways, it's uncool or even seriously uncool. It's a bad looking 4 door with a huge wing and hedgehog spikes with big intakes ^ like he said.

I mean, I'm sure the performance is stupendous, but so many... so many college students buy them thinking that they'll like rule the parking structure at my school.

I think it's uncool. I know it's biased, but there are two very sad incidents that make me laugh.

One is... I went to the OC Auto Show, AKA California Auto Show last year and sat on an Evo pretending I was drifting. (yes I make fun of drifters) And just as I got out, I was attacked by a sales manager of some sort. I was not prepared at all for that. Anyways he started to ramble about how cool it is, you know Evo and all that. Then, to shut him up, I asked him why NA only gets the FQ-Lessthan300hp Evos. Then he goes on and on about how roads in Europe don't have speed limits. BS I say to myself. And corrects him by telling him that the car's from Japan, first of all, and also tell him that the FQ-400, the fastest Evo's sold in the UK, neither of which are not exactly known for their open wide roads. :roll: Then, he says Evo's good for putting in aftermarket stuff. And I shut him up completely by arguing that such action would void the warranty in an already fragile car. And I wondered how Mitsubishi could still have business with employees like him.

And another funny anecdote is...
One morning, in my school parking structure, I hear a blaring noise. Ricer, i thought. It was just an Evo coming into park. Couple of minutes later, I see it and it still hasn't park. (the guy had this obnoxious techno on, I had to look) Anyways, they guy stops in front of the space...then opens the door and leans out!!! Then, he proceeds to reverse into the space. Oh man, I had one of the best laughs that day.

Funny stories. They might not really tell you whether or not an Evo's cool, but certainly many people surrounding them aren't. :mrgreen:

One more thing. Evos and WRXs haven't won any WRC Championships recent years (or individual Rallys for that matter). So that makes it worse. A car based on a race car that doesn't do well at all...hmmmmm... If anything, Peugeot, Citroen, and Ford should make overpowered WRC hatchbacks.

ViperASR
01-09-2007, 11:50 PM
as fast as many supercars today for a hella cheap price, subzero.

ae86_16v
01-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Come on guys, you guys are bashing it because it has a cheap interior? No shit it has a cheap interior. It is a 30k car. Why don't you guys bash the Elise/Exige or Atom for having NO INTERIOR?

I mean it is a econo car w/ a 300hp engine. For what it is, and the price it carries with the performance, it is a VERY COOL car. No Sub-zero, but definitely cool.

And yes, the people that do drive them tend to be kids. So what? It doesn't make it any slower.

fsandys
01-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Come on guys, you guys are bashing it because it has a cheap interior? No shit it has a cheap interior. It is a 30k car. Why don't you guys bash the Elise/Exige or Atom for having NO INTERIOR?

:good: Absolutely, but if they don't get it, that's up to them.

Fantastic car, one of my all time favourites.

EvolutioniuM
01-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Subzero With No Doubt, For being a Playstation Supercar!!!

Evos are made to be driven to the limit; pushing you hard to your Recaro when accelerating and wetting your pants around bends, nothing but a true enthusiast would own an Evo

:twisted:

wasaabi92
01-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Good car ... might be a great car ... but with all those stupid wings, skirts, graphite BBS wheels and the (functional yet ridiculous) Sonic the Hedgehog "Vortex Generator" the Evo VIII is nothing but seriously uncool.

I mean ... just look at who drives 'em. They're not hardcore enthusiasts, they're just boy racers. :roll:

dingo
01-10-2007, 11:02 PM
ok then, so what kind of car does the "hardcore enthusiast" drive which is within the same price range?

sameerrao
01-10-2007, 11:14 PM
ok then, so what kind of car does the "hardcore enthusiast" drive which is within the same price range?

Playstation by the look of things :lol:

Mattk
01-10-2007, 11:24 PM
i'm sure this is a cool car to drive, however, I can't give it cool as hard as I try, simply because it looks ugly.

dons5
01-10-2007, 11:51 PM
i cant vote, its uncool cause it has those huge spoilers and the styling is just brutal, as in brutally ugly, huge wings huge hoodscoops mounted on what otherwise looks like a box and the car is pretty damn gay. I mean ingnore the front headlights and scoops and ignore the massive rear wing and tell me what u see its a box, there are absolutely no lines to the car, the actual design itself is as boring looking as my a chevy malibu or a toyota carolla or something like that, if it wasnt for the wings and scoops.

But then on the other hand its cool, because the engineering and performance of the car is very good, it comes from a real rally race car (or is it the the other way around??), so it has the right history and roots for a car to be cool and interesting. The wings and scoops arent for looks but performance so all the stuff u see is fully functional and that is very cool, i hate when ppl add wings for the looks or scoops when their cooling is just fine and they're actually hurting their performance, or even worse fake scoops altogether.

So in the end its stuck in the middle and I cant decide.

IMKAOS
01-11-2007, 01:33 AM
I voted 'cool'. Sure its cheaper than most if not all of the cars u guys talk about on this site but for what u get I think its pretty awesome. The only thing stopping me voting supercool is the fact it is a mass produced car of which there will end up being thousands of them around so it has no exclusivity... I don't mind the spoilers etc, its a japanese car what do u expect?? ( and anyone can remove a spoiler if they don't like the look of it )

fsandys
01-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Are you kidding me? boy racers?

I think you need to revise your definition of boy racers, as they would not usually be able to afford an Evo. Also, they're usually into what's on the outside, not what a car can actually do!

On the looks note, we're all entitled to our own opinions, personally, I love it, in the right colours, with the right wheels, it's stunning. :D

HeilSvenska
01-13-2007, 03:37 PM

I think you need to revise your definition of boy racers, as they would not usually be able to afford an Evo. Also, they're usually into what's on the outside, not what a car can actually do!

Exactly - "boy racers" usually prefer a 130hp Eclipse or Hyundai Coupe with a HUGE exhaust pipe and customized paintjob than a 300hp Lancer :wink:

Aha. Obviously you've never been to Southern California. :wink:

TopGearNL
01-13-2007, 03:43 PM

Exactly - "boy racers" usually prefer a 130hp Eclipse or Hyundai Coupe with a HUGE exhaust pipe and customized paintjob than a 300hp Lancer :wink:

Aha. Obviously you've never been to Southern California. :wink:

Rich Daddies :wink:

EvolutioniuM
01-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Clarksons seems to be a big fan of the IX FQ360,,,

Like all modern technology, the Evo’s nomenclature is deliberately designed to confuse the elderly. Anyone who grew up with the Austin 7 is going to be driven screaming from the showroom by the sheer complexity of all those letters and numbers.

The car, too, is designed to terrify those whose bones are brittle and whose minds have lost the ability to deal with mini-roundabouts or clearly marked signs saying “Queue Here”.

check his column in the times this week
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-2544019,00.html

Mattk
01-15-2007, 12:40 AM
and anyone can remove a spoiler if they don't like the look of it

Yes, only this spoiler is there for a reason (unlike the ones seen on regular Lancers which pretend to be Evolutions), so you run the risk of ruining the car's handling.

Z3uS
02-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Cool car! Fast, bring lots of fun and it's not that expensive.