PDA

View Full Version : For Nthfinity, and Vector Lovers

sentra_dude
12-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Well I found these pics in a FerrariChat thread, and I figured, I can't keep them from a fellow car-nut, no matter how much I think the car in the pics has hideous styling inside & out, has a nasty sound, has a blasphemous gearbox, and makes me want to puke :P! :P :D ;) :P ;)

http://i14.tinypic.com/3347qkp.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/4dwug45.jpg

http://i16.tinypic.com/344xsgm.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/3zscfaa.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2updzx0.jpg

:P And if you've seen them already well shiiiit

dutchmasterflex
12-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Now those are some Hooers!

nthfinity
12-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Well I found these pics in a FerrariChat thread, and I figured, I can't keep them from a fellow car-nut, no matter how much I think the car in the pics has hideous styling inside & out, has a nasty sound, has a blasphemous gearbox, and makes me want to puke :P! :P :D ;) :P ;)

http://i14.tinypic.com/3347qkp.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/4dwug45.jpg

http://i16.tinypic.com/344xsgm.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/3zscfaa.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2updzx0.jpg

:P And if you've seen them already well shiiiit

wait a minute, what thread were those in, That is my friend's car/back yard... and two of his friends (at least at some point... i though for a moment the one on the left is his sister-in-law; but the photos are too low res to tell)

what a beautiful car!
thankfully, it doesn't matter what you think of the interior/exterior styling; as it will still blow the doors off even cars like the CGT; and give the Enzo a run for it's money.

sentra_dude
12-10-2006, 01:46 PM
lol, I don't give a shit how fast that car is, its butt-ugly and has a 3 spd automatic. Not to mention, how good can it be if the car has only been driven ~650 miles in 14 or 15 years? ;)

LOL, a veeery good thread dude, "Let's see pretty girls with Ferraris"

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34672 I think around page 50 (of 80 something) or so...if you have to look around to find the pics its not that big of a deal, since there are many good pics in that thread. :P 8) ;)

nthfinity
12-10-2006, 02:21 PM
lol, I don't give a shit how fast that car is, its butt-ugly and has a 3 spd automatic. Not to mention, how good can it be if the car has only been driven ~650 miles in 14 or 15 years? ;)

LOL, a veeery good thread dude, "Let's see pretty girls with Ferraris"

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34672 I think around page 50 (of 80 something) or so...if you have to look around to find the pics its not that big of a deal, since there are many good pics in that thread. :P 8) ;)

thanks

oh, as to being driven 650 miles... JP's car has somewhere around 40,000 miles; and I think one of the texas cars has 20,000 miles.... the fact is, there are so few that many don't drive them much... but the reliability, speed, handling, and polarizing design make it an amazing car.

Kurt is one of the few who doesn't drive much, and is in fact the lowest milage Vector W8. The reason why he doesn't drive it is to preserve at least one for all time (within his lifetime) It literally is a part of him, a part of his history.

khaled.f
03-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Hi.

For people who don't know about Vectors, this is only one of 4 main types of Vectors, & while at it, there might be a new one coming in the near future...& it could be a new version of the previous WX3 , or an all new model (maybe close to the prototype penned by the German designer Stefan Schulz- search for it on the net by the name V8 turbo)...

nthfinity
03-09-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm not a fan of what Jerry has penned (well, mock up 1:1 prototype) , and I'm quite sure that Jerry wouldn't have another designer design his car.

Khaled,
W2
W8
AWX (coupe and roadster)

most konw that
some would include
M12
SRV8

but not me ;)

khaled.f
03-09-2007, 08:14 PM
You're right nthfinity- it's not like him to let some one draw his cars, but any way, one way or another, I think it's high time Vector re-emerged again; there are so many Supercars out there now, that it's a big shame that Vector would not be among them...let's wait & see... :)

nthfinity
03-09-2007, 08:35 PM
You're right nthfinity- it's not like him to let some one draw his cars, but any way, one way or another, I think it's high time Vector re-emerged again; there are so many Supercars out there now, that it's a big shame that Vector would not be among them...let's wait & see... :)

If that were to happen, Vector would need to re assemble many of the original aeromotive team that spent hard years in Wilmington, CA... they spent 30,000,000$ to build 22 cars (17 production, 2 pre prods, W2 prototype, 2 AWX cars) and nobody lived anywhere near lavishly. 15 years has passed, and nearly everybody has moved on from Vector because they had to; and many of them are now very highly paid individuals, some running thier own very successful companies. The quality assembled all those years ago could've only happened the way that it did once... some of the greatest talent in the automotive, and racing world all were working on that one project... They were all enthusiasts who believed in the project, and didn't care that the money wasn't there at the beginning... so many years later, it would be impossible to get such talent back together IMHO.

I'd like nothing more then for Jerry to get the W2 back together, and build up the remaining rolling chassis... and then go from there... but the current design isn't Vector like it once was... it isn't that it can't be... but it was the team that made the car, not just the dream of the man...

I'd say a lot more, but not in a public forum :P

khaled.f
03-09-2007, 08:59 PM
I still have hope that if he actually started again, he would stumble on some able workers & crafts men- I mean granted the ones worked with him before were really special, but I think if he searched these days, he would find enough to get started again. As for him to start again with the W2, this is exactly what I wish him to do; as a matter of fact, of the 2 german proposals, I kinda preferred the one that reminded me with the W2- one thing for sure: the W2 still is the favorite Vector to die-hard Vector fans...

TopGearNL
03-09-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't think the car is beautiful but it is a true supercar! :D

Thanks for the pics!

nthfinity
03-09-2007, 09:17 PM
I hope you aren't talking about these poor renders
http://putanginaka.net/vector.jpg
You can read my opinion on themhere (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47427&start=0)

Yes, the W2 with the high dowforce wing is my personal favorite, in black (well, mirror black like JP's car)

For sure, able craftsmen exist... but you must also remember the Vector W8 was extra special in it's construction meathods. They were/are so far advanced, and presice, still no other car maker makes cars to this same set of standards of certification. Williams International invited the engineers of Vector Aeromotive to "share" the building processes of the W8 back in 1990... and Williams has been at the forefront of aerospace design since the 70's, and were able to learn and implement quite a bit... unfortunately, the tech share didn't go both ways :P

Engineering a car, and engineering a car to military fighter specifications is no small feat for even experienced tradesman, and engineers. The Vector was designed to be relatively maintainence free for the life of it's owner, a driven life expectancy of 90 years. Some cars are in worse condition because of poor normal maintainence (changing fluids regularly, spark plugs periodically, correct fuel...) while other cars are in worse condition because the owner thought it nessisary to "modify" the car, or a few other select cercumstances which I cannot speak of in public. ... yet even those cars are all able to be restored back to original condition, and will last just the same.

well driven modern supercars with carbon Fibre tubs have a life expectancy of 10 years, more if not exposed to the elements. The VEctor tub is an aluminum honeycomb semi monicoque with nearly 5000 aircraft standard chrom molly rivets, and epoxy resin to hold the car true and steady. Only after seasons of racing the car on a track would any signs of chassis flex start to show, which would only be noticible on the lap time, and feel vs. a car w/out the track tested age... just like the other lauminum tub race cars... yet they are all 100% drivable on the track 25 years later (porsche 962 race cars with non refreshed chassis) .

Jerry has the W2, but the indonesians took the car apart when the ripped him off illegally... from what I'm told, he has no want to put it back together, which I feel is an unfortunate desicion. Think of the interest people would have seeing that thing drive up to the new Crystal Cove!!!

If Vector were still building cars today, and the takeover never happened, there would be a 1200-1500 twin turbo 9 liter V12 vector maited with a 6-7 speed DSG box running damn near 300 mph (actually, one W8 is said to be able to reach 300, and on 93 octane, it runs 980ish hp on "low" boost) ... but that vector W8 "doesn't " exist ;)

khaled.f
03-09-2007, 09:26 PM
As a reply for topgearNL, Vectors are not meant to be beautiful in a Ferrari sort of way, the general concept initialised by their creator was to create a "fighter jet for the road" rather than a beautifully penned car- it's angular shape did exactly that & stunned the world back then in the 70's & 80's, but in the nowadays world of ultra aerodynamic cars with flowing lines, the old generation Vectors don't actually fit the image, that's why the most possible new version of the Vector to come (if it' back) is the 90's more aerodynamic WX3-with slight modifications. But the Vector is just more than an evaluation for a car body: credit must be given to the man who in the 80's thought of airbags, heads-up-displays, & Kevlar, not to mention the "fighter jet for the road" theory, resulting in many parts that were not inspired by jet fighters, but actually taken from them, like instruments,seat belts, switch gears, & many more...

khaled.f
03-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Couldn't agree more nthfinity. I had replied to topgearNL before your reply, which actually supports what I had said- people usually talk about Vectors from just the looks point of view, because they don't know much about the way they were built, the amazing attention to detail, the exotic material used in the process...etc- as a matter of fact , while surfing the net about the Vector, I am often quite surprised about how most Americans know so little about the Vector! This car should be presented more to the public, big time, & in my opinion, nothing would be more successful in doing that than a Hollywood block buster movie- may seem a crazy idea, but this should bring many benefits to the car...as for the renders, they might be a little premature, but I think if they would be adjusted, they just might give a nice beginning for a new Vector...

nthfinity
03-09-2007, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the pics!
I feel the rear of the W8 is unfinished, and a bit flat; that is where the AWX 3 comes in, as the rear is complete, and not left wanting to look at another angle. but, everywhere else, I feel the Vector is a masterpiece of design.

Khaled, You might be surprised to hear how aerodynamically efficiant the Vector W8 is. The W8 in "testing" reached V max 5 times, 3 of which were on PCH, the other two were on the Bonneville Salt Flats... 242 mph, at max RPM.

A few components were changed from the earliest of W8's to the newest of W8's based on honed wind tunnel testing, such as removing the "gills" and making more swept intake ducting throughout. For a car so wide, you will find few out there with such a low coeficient of drag. (less then .33 Cd)

The AWX3 was going to exentuate on aerodynamic eficiancy, and some of the advancements were even optional equipment on the W8 (mirror delete, in place of rear view camera) which nobody had ordered up through that point. there was even an optional 3 seat configuration in the W8.

I agree that is unfortunate how many young people know about the W8... but anybody who has been reading car magazines for the last 15 years almost certainly has heard stories about it :-D

One of hte most interesting was the first time that Top Wheels was testing the W2 prototype, where the jurnalists lost interest in the car, and decided to race the Testerossa, and Countach against each other. Jerry wouldn't have any of it once he heard what was going on (by the loud V12's screaming away leaving the vector parked.

Jerry started up, and floored it, right about the time they were a 1/4 mile away, and by the end of the mile run, the W2 was nearly a 1/4 mile ahead! Immediately, the Vector was the center of attention :)

T-Bird
03-09-2007, 10:47 PM
from what I gathered talking to Kurt is that half the guys if not all wouldn't want to work with the same guy incharge of the first car at this point. And what I gathered is that most of them are still doing their part to keep the cars that exist running especially the mokery made with the broken display panel car (I forgot which one it is).

Honestly from the first pictures I saw I didn't think the car was that amazing but getting to see Kurt's sitting there in his garage I have to say I found a new appreciation for it. It really is something else once you see it in person.

I thought I recognized the house in those pictures especially the sled trailer in the background :wink:

nthfinity
03-09-2007, 11:01 PM
from what I gathered talking to Kurt is that half the guys if not all wouldn't want to work with the same guy incharge of the first car at this point. And what I gathered is that most of them are still doing their part to keep the cars that exist running especially the mokery made with the broken display panel car (I forgot which one it is).

Honestly from the first pictures I saw I didn't think the car was that amazing but getting to see Kurt's sitting there in his garage I have to say I found a new appreciation for it. It really is something else once you see it in person.

I thought I recognized the house in those pictures especially the sled trailer in the background :wink:

As a stupid kid, I wondered why the W8 was so much more powerful then the M12, and it made no sence to me :P

also, it's good you dont know which car has the ELD issues, I don't think the owner want's that mentioned much in public ;)

khaled.f
03-10-2007, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the pics!
I feel the rear of the W8 is unfinished, and a bit flat; that is where the AWX 3 comes in, as the rear is complete, and not left wanting to look at another angle. but, everywhere else, I feel the Vector is a masterpiece of design.

Khaled, You might be surprised to hear how aerodynamically efficiant the Vector W8 is. The W8 in "testing" reached V max 5 times, 3 of which were on PCH, the other two were on the Bonneville Salt Flats... 242 mph, at max RPM.

A few components were changed from the earliest of W8's to the newest of W8's based on honed wind tunnel testing, such as removing the "gills" and making more swept intake ducting throughout. For a car so wide, you will find few out there with such a low coeficient of drag. (less then .33 Cd)

The AWX3 was going to exentuate on aerodynamic eficiancy, and some of the advancements were even optional equipment on the W8 (mirror delete, in place of rear view camera) which nobody had ordered up through that point. there was even an optional 3 seat configuration in the W8.

I agree that is unfortunate how many young people know about the W8... but anybody who has been reading car magazines for the last 15 years almost certainly has heard stories about it :-D

One of hte most interesting was the first time that Top Wheels was testing the W2 prototype, where the jurnalists lost interest in the car, and decided to race the Testerossa, and Countach against each other. Jerry wouldn't have any of it once he heard what was going on (by the loud V12's screaming away leaving the vector parked.

Jerry started up, and floored it, right about the time they were a 1/4 mile away, and by the end of the mile run, the W2 was nearly a 1/4 mile ahead! Immediately, the Vector was the center of attention :)

That's really new information for me, about the W2/Countach/Testarossa matter- that's really great, & it speaks volumes about the W2's capabilities. I really wish Wiegert could revive the W2 again, it would still be one of the most outlandish cars in the world-even now...As for the W8's aerodynamic co-effecient, it's a really nice surprise to me, since I always though of it to be near the 0.40 cd, because of it's extra sharp angles...but this is not strange ,since generally the drag co-effecient of any car is 60% related to the shape, & 40% for the surfaces, & the W8's shape is just swoopy! Of course the WX3 went a step further in Aerodynamic & Thermodynamic effeciency, but to me, & I think you & most Vector addicts, the W8 & W2 win in the looks department hands down... :)

sameerrao
03-10-2007, 01:34 PM
I think the Vector looks like a proper 80s supercar. Remember the 80s were a decade of excess and the supercar designers pandered to it. The beautiful, lithe Countaches of the 70s had a lot of "power" bulges and scoops thrown into the mix. Remember the TR with its strakes. The Porsche with slant nose and big wings.

I think it was a great car for its time and well built too with aerospace technology thrown in. Pity about the automatic though.

I think we try to evaluate cars based on today's circumstances instead of putting ourselves in the era when the car was built.

I think the McLaren is the best supercar of all time. I know it cannot handle as well as today's supercars thanks to 12 years of advancement in brakes and tire technology, etc. But when it came out it was truly revolutionary.

Similarly the Jaguar E Type, Ford GT40, Porsche Carrera RS, F40 and other iconic cars set the standard in their time. Yes a 599 can beat an F40 from a numbers perspective but will it ever have such a fan population as the old stager?

nthfinity
03-10-2007, 01:43 PM
I think the McLaren is the best supercar of all time. I know it cannot handle as well as today's supercars thanks to 12 years of advancement in brakes and tire technology, etc. But when it came out it was truly revolutionary.

Not only as good as today's supercars, but as well as the competition in the early and mid 90's as well ;) The EB110 was better in the corners, the XJ220 was worse on brakes, better in the corners, the F40 was better all around, just less 'comfortable and practical', and the Vector W8 (not so much in the form of the W2) was just as revolutionary, if not more so as the F1.

and, as to having "too much aerospace technology" what is that supposed to mean?

sameerrao
03-10-2007, 01:56 PM

Not only as good as today's supercars, but as well as the competition in the early and mid 90's as well ;) The EB110 was better in the corners, the XJ220 was worse on brakes, better in the corners, the F40 was better all around, just less 'comfortable and practical', and the Vector W8 (not so much in the form of the W2) was just as revolutionary, if not more so as the F1.

and, as to having "too much aerospace technology" what is that supposed to mean?

Better/worse than the other cars - what is the based on? Road tests, 3rd party information?

I never said "too much aerospace technology" read my comment again before jumping on the defensive? :lol:

nthfinity
03-10-2007, 02:00 PM

Better/worse than the other cars - what is the based on? Road tests, 3rd party information?

I never said "too much aerospace technology" read my comment again before jumping on the defensive? :lol:

quick glance error. However, what was defensive?

Also, the better / worse is based on 3rd party road tests

sameerrao
03-10-2007, 02:18 PM
the EB110 was by far the most competent supercar of the 90s....it destroyed the McLaren F1 in every way.....except top speed.

Good enough for Schumacher to own one...i'm sure sameer will appreciate that ;)

I would agree about the EB110's handling thanks to the AWD grip. The F1 was better accelerating and had a higher top speed (of course that is pretty academic as no one is really going to do 200mph+ or whatever anyway) ;)

The F1 requires a driver with excellent skills. It seems like a car that will take an owner forever to master it. :)

Schumacher used to trade cars in and out a lot in the 90s. He had one of the nicest 355s ever - it had an amazing 10K redline (1500 rpm more than the normal car). :)

All the supercars had some weakness or the other. The F40 has terrible brakes - owners who track their cars have adopted the LM brakes and had boost some of the relays to make it grab properly. The XJ220 was a very good all rounder but was pretty poorly made (gear level falling off) and was a big disappointment to collectors who were first promised a V12 and then given a V6 instead. The Bugatti was heavy, had very tight driving positions.

The fact that the F1 is normally aspirated makes it a more responsive engine rather than an all mighty thrust when the boost comes on.

We can argue all day but in the end some cars appeal to us more than the others. To each their own.

Here are some articles on the F1
http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13834
http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12097

nthfinity
03-10-2007, 02:26 PM
I've never said the F1's p ower plant was terrible, bad, or anything suggesting as much. The same isn't true of it's transmission.

That is why the Vector went with an Automatic gearbox, It could withstand 1800 hp tq with ease.

there is a difference between the typical supercar, and one that is relatively maintainence free. The mclaren F1 boosts super extra supercar maintainence costs. The Vector can do much that hte F1 could/can not do, and often doing it better.

The greatest of 90's supercars? the W8 by far :)

sameerrao
03-10-2007, 02:28 PM
The Mclaren requires an oil well in the backyard to maintain it :lol: I am going to dig a bit this afternoon. Wish me luck :)

nthfinity
03-10-2007, 02:43 PM
The Mclaren requires an oil well in the backyard to maintain it :lol: I am going to dig a bit this afternoon. Wish me luck :)

Lots of Luck, I hope you find that well, and can get that F1...doesn't mean I have to like the car LOL ;)