PDA

View Full Version : Broken camshaft and bent valves: $38,000

ZfrkS62
10-14-2006, 11:16 PM
doing it at 110MPH and 10,800 RPM: Priceless

http://www.carolinaspeedzone.com/kershaw_track_day_091106/sad_day.html

someone missed a downshift...badly. apparently the computer logged a final RPM of 10,800

So we've learned that the bottom end can sustain nearly 11,000 rpm :D Not bad for a 5.7L V10 :D

sentra_dude
10-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Dang! I wonder how much a whole brand-new CGT engine costs?

saadie
10-15-2006, 01:00 AM
these fuckers dont deserve to have a car like this :x ...

it can be either 4-2 or even 3-2without proper heel & toe

i've taken a car to 8700 prm on downshift 3-2 .... the rev limit of that car is 8600 soo it was all good ;) hehe

sentra_dude
10-15-2006, 01:35 AM
these fuckers dont deserve to have a car like this :x ...

it can be either 4-2 or even 3-2without proper heel & toe

i've taken a car to 8700 prm on downshift 3-2 .... the rev limit of that car is 8600 soo it was all good ;) hehe

:roll: Here come the bullshit remarks..."he shouldn't have this car", "such a shitty driver", and the best: "he doesn't deserve it." Anyone can miss a shift and blow an engine. Maybe it was a stupid mistake, but even professional racecar drivers miss shifts and blow engines every once in a while.

The people who don't deserve cars like this are the ones who put 22" chrome wheels on them.

ZfrkS62
10-15-2006, 02:13 AM

That is the cost of the engine. in a case like this where there was piston to valve contact, it's just better to replace the engine. There was probably damage to at least one piston that doesnt show in the pics and i am sure they are a matched set. Also probably not sold seperately.

sentra_dude
10-15-2006, 05:22 PM

That is the cost of the engine. in a case like this where there was piston to valve contact, it's just better to replace the engine. There was probably damage to at least one piston that doesnt show in the pics and i am sure they are a matched set. Also probably not sold seperately.

That's it? Only $38,000 for a Carrera GT engine? :? That seems quite low, I've heard of standard 911 engines costing $25,000 (not sure how accurate but still); and I'd guess a CGT engine would have many more exotic parts and expensive work as compared to a base 911 motor?

gucom
10-15-2006, 06:03 PM
lol i remember during the press drives at the launch of the car, a french journalist decided to help the car brake a bit on the engine, shifted down from 6th to 2nd while doing some 300kph plus, 14k rpm, engine was totally gone... nub :?

Erez
10-15-2006, 06:35 PM
:roll: Here come the bullshit remarks..."he shouldn't have this car", "such a shitty driver", and the best: "he doesn't deserve it." Anyone can miss a shift and blow an engine. Maybe it was a stupid mistake, but even professional racecar drivers miss shifts and blow engines every once in a while.

The people who don't deserve cars like this are the ones who put 22" chrome wheels on them.

i'm 100% with you dude ;) , sentra, dude ;)

ZfrkS62
10-15-2006, 10:00 PM

That's it? Only $38,000 for a Carrera GT engine? :? That seems quite low, I've heard of standard 911 engines costing $25,000 (not sure how accurate but still); and I'd guess a CGT engine would have many more exotic parts and expensive work as compared to a base 911 motor?

the 911 price may be including labor. 38K is just the cost of the motor alone, no labor.

i can't see a 911 motor being more than 15-16K

coombsie66
11-08-2006, 06:10 PM

i'm 100% with you dude ;) , sentra, dude ;)

Yip, couldnt have said it better myself sentra, mis-shifts when really pushing it on track can be surprisingly easy with some gearboxes, and with a flywheel and clutch so small and light as the carrera GT's that over-rev would have happened in a split second at most, not like over-revving you average road car where you could let the clutch out in the wrong gear and have dinner before the engine has spun up to an over-rev speed... :wink: :P

gobs3z
11-08-2006, 07:10 PM
I also agree with sentradude, but i really thought that the engine of the CGT originally being developed as a race engine would have handled the over rev without a problem. I assume it's about 2k over the set rev limiter, now is it the limiter that hurts the valves?

TopGearNL
11-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Classic example of another person being able to afford it but not taking care of it or knowing how to treat it :fist:

At least he's able to afford the repair, I mean if you can buy a CGT :mrgreen:

coombsie66
11-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Classic example of another person being able to afford it but not taking care of it or knowing how to treat it :fist:

At least he's able to afford the repair, I mean if you can buy a CGT :mrgreen:

LOL, read up you fool. :P

I also agree with sentradude, but i really thought that the engine of the CGT originally being developed as a race engine would have handled the over rev without a problem. I assume it's about 2k over the set rev limiter, now is it the limiter that hurts the valves?

The valves will be damaged by the pistons as at that increased engine speed the valve springs cannot return the valves fast enough (valve float) and hence you get valve piston collision, however in this case a camshaft also broke, so lots of other damage could have occured.
2k rpm over the rev limit is a significant overrev!!! Especially for such a highly strung engine as the CGT! (high compression = very close valve piston clearence, little margin for error) Impressive that the bottom end held up though, but you'd have thought they'd engineer in a little more safety factor in the bottom end than the top, valves springs etc are a damn sight cheaper than a block , crank, pistons, rods etc!!

TopGearNL
11-09-2006, 04:54 PM
LOL, read up you fool.

Yeah I just read it, it wasn't his fault entirely I guess :wink:

coombsie66
11-09-2006, 04:56 PM
LOL, read up you fool.

Oh, it was entirely his fault, im just saying that its easier than you'd think :wink: :)

TopGearNL
11-09-2006, 04:59 PM
LOL, read up you fool.

Oh, it was entirely his fault, im just saying that its easier than you'd think :wink: :)

Allright then :P