PDA

View Full Version : Biggest race EVER ... Not show related, for the Mag

vexor
09-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Our biggest road trip ever
Forget racing an Aston DB9 to Monte Carlo. Forget the Bugatti Veyron and northern Italy. And forget all those supercars on the Millau Viaduct.

Next month we're taking on the most epic Top Gear road trip ever - coast to coast, across the big country in Jaguar's new XKR.

We'll be chasing a record too. But we can't tell you which one, or where we're going, just yet. You can be the first to find out, though, by following every time check, fuel stop and wrong turn online.

We'll bring you leg-by-leg updates with pictures and video as the mission unfolds. Log on from September 4...

bmagni
09-03-2006, 04:36 PM
jaguar xkr - boooooring

davide
09-03-2006, 05:53 PM
jaguar xkr - boooooring

I agree some with you. Such an 'epic road trip' should deserve a 'better car'.
I like the Jaguar XKR but still... :roll:

gigdy
09-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Theyre races are all worthless. Id much rather see the car sliding around the tarmac.

TNT
09-03-2006, 06:37 PM
but what are they racing?

ae86_16v
09-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Will this race be in the US?

nickthaskater
09-03-2006, 08:28 PM
UK to Japan! :lol:

But yea, kind of a disappointing car... The 599 GTB, LP640, or even something like the 997 Turbo, would've been much better.

nthfinity
09-04-2006, 09:14 AM
how is the XKR boring?

It looks great, goes fast, sounds great..... that equates to fun

its not exotic car "excitement" but more normal human excitement. Sounds like fun :)

HeilSvenska
09-05-2006, 02:13 PM
It's going to be awesome and you know it. As for the XKR, i think it was a great choice.

jorge
09-05-2006, 02:21 PM
^ agree... a 599 GTB would have been way more exciting! :bah: :roll:

Now that would be awesome!

but still the XKR is a very nice car :P

nickthaskater
09-05-2006, 02:22 PM
how is the XKR boring?

It looks great, goes fast, sounds great..... that equates to fun

its not exotic car "excitement" but more normal human excitement. Sounds like fun :)
I think it's rather ugly.

jorge
09-05-2006, 02:22 PM
UK to Japan!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: hahahahaha :lol:

nickthaskater
09-05-2006, 02:27 PM
UK to Japan!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: hahahahaha :lol:
That'd make for a hell of a series finale 8)

saadie
09-05-2006, 02:34 PM
^^ yeh ... if they ever did anything like it .. they'd show lil clips in every eisode ..which would be rather boring lol :lol:

nickthaskater
09-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Hence why I said series finale, as in just showing one final episode of a crazy adventure like that, maybe extend it to 2 hours instead of 1.

saadie
09-05-2006, 02:43 PM
:lol: you tell em ;)

nickthaskater
09-05-2006, 02:44 PM
lol I should, though I'll probably just get lawyers sent after me for watching it since I don't live in Europe :lol:

vexor
09-06-2006, 03:10 AM
lol I should, though I'll probably just get lawyers sent after me for watching it since I don't live in Europe :lol:

but we do get it here on BBC Canada

anyways, this "big race" has started and it is from New York to the west coast, not sure where tho but my guess is LA.

Well, we're almost there. We've a team assembled in New York drawing lines on maps, checking traffic reports and generally worrying about just what they've let themselves in for.

So far, the schedule is as follows: today is for head scratching and planning while the rest of the team flies in; tomorrow is a day of double-checking and prepping up the cars - then things kick off for real on Wednesday at 7pm (that's midnight UK time).

We'll get our first proper update from the team tomorrow and they'll spill more details during the day in the run-up to the start, so keep checking back. Otherwise, Thursday's the big day...

Fleischmann
09-06-2006, 03:56 AM
Though the races are interesting I just don't think they are real. Photo finishes, sudden change of situation etc. all of this is guilty of being scripted IMO.

It seems it will be a rather long race since:

Clarkson, Hammond and May appear in high spirits, despite having returned jetlagged from 19 days of filming in the United States less than 48 hours earlier.

I can name at least 100 more interesting cars to use for the race, but I still cannot wait.

bmagni
09-07-2006, 11:14 PM
No, it's not Hammond, Clarkson and May, it's a group of blokes and birds from Top Gear magazine, and frankly, the boys have got it all wrong, attempting to break a New York-to-LA record of 32 hours, 52 minutes, instead of the 32 hours, 7 minutes set by a Ferrari on the final running of the US Express. Not only that, but they're using more drivers/co-pilots than could all fit in the car, plus, they're turning off the clock so the photog can snap pictures.

coloradosilver
09-07-2006, 11:48 PM
No, it's not Hammond, Clarkson and May, it's a group of blokes and birds from Top Gear magazine, and frankly, the boys have got it all wrong, attempting to break a New York-to-LA record of 32 hours, 52 minutes, instead of the 32 hours, 7 minutes set by a Ferrari on the final running of the US Express. Not only that, but they're using more drivers/co-pilots than could all fit in the car, plus, they're turning off the clock so the photog can snap pictures.

Correct! This is not a Top Gear challenge with Clarkson, May and Hammond. It's just some Top Gear employees doing this. Probably won't be all that great. :cry:

vexor
09-07-2006, 11:56 PM

Correct! This is not a Top Gear challenge with Clarkson, May and Hammond. It's just some Top Gear employees doing this. Probably won't be all that great. :cry:

yea it isn't with the boys, too bad.

I've been looking on the TG mag site today and it has started but it is boring.