PDA

View Full Version : What's a good programming language to learn?

Sir_GT
07-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Serious question guys. I'm basically faced with the opportunity to learn just one. Although it really is the entire language course. From baby steps to full soft-ap development.

Java?
Visual Basic?
C#?
Other? (Feel free to suggest)

My criteria:

Large market (either current or growing) for demand reasons
Platform flexibility/Can be applied universally
Developmer support by the "industry" (i.e. I can't learn a language that is supposed to be discontinued soon)

Fire away guys. I saved up for this, so I really just want to invest in the right one.

Although I'm familiar with webstuff, such as HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS/Flash Actionscript, I only have a fairly basic understanding of PHP and MySQL stuff, since most of my current work is really design-related, so if anyone thinks that those are better investments, feel free to point it out.

black_magician
07-27-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm learning c++ and Java in school right now. there's supposedly more work available for java, but it's not like Java can do more than C++, java's just newer i guess.

the important thing is to get the concepts of Object Orientated Programming down, then it makes learning most languages much easier. you'll only have to learn syntax.

I'm a little partial to C++ though(since I learned it first).

as far as flexibility, you need a compiler and a text editor for both languages. When it comes to command line apps and simple calculations, it's easy to switch between platforms. It's when you come to GUI's and detailed stuff that things get incompatable.

Mattk
07-27-2006, 09:43 PM
I haven't studied anything to do with programming for ages, which is kinda bad, but I really liked Visual Basic when I learnt it a few years back. It's piss-easy to learn, and can be pretty powerful if you delve deeper into its intricacies (which I didn't, unfortunately).

If you're into design, LOGO would be a pretty good language. It's really old, but quite easy to learn. You can design pretty patterns with it and I thought it was great when I was a 13 year-old.

dutchmasterflex
07-27-2006, 09:51 PM
assembly. the real computer language..

learning those languages you've listed wouldn't be hard at all once you get the ideals of programming.. there are numerous courses on all of these high level languages..

all you need is a reference book for each language and you're set.. when you start getting to computer architecture and design (low level computer languages, basically programming with 0's and 1's) things start getting complicated..

SFDMALEX
07-27-2006, 10:39 PM
I remeber back in highschool I had to make programs in a few...and the only name that I remember is C++ to be honest. and I dont even remeber what the other ones where.

And what can I say, I wrote all the programs with a 100% grade.

I didnt know wtf I was doing then, nor do I remeber ANYTHING about those languages now.

All I know that as mentioned, a reference book, and a simply a gut feeling for programing can get you through the basics :wink:

Mattk
07-28-2006, 02:43 AM
I once made a Microsoft Paint rip-off using Visual Basic. I thought it was the coolest thing.

Sir_GT
07-28-2006, 05:29 AM
I see Java leading the pack.

My only issue with VB is that it's MS only. Which is why I'm partial to others like Java or C# because of the platform flexibility.

I'm still waiting for more suggestions. :) I haven't enrolled in anything yet.

Mattk
07-28-2006, 08:59 AM
I see Java leading the pack.

No it's not. Visual Basic and Java are on 2 at the moment, with C# on 1.

black_magician
07-28-2006, 12:08 PM
did some research about c#(at least I think this is C#). It looks like its actually pretty useful. check this out

http://www.textcontrolblog.com/archive/2006/06/19/build-a-word-processor-in-2-minutes.htm

Pimp Racer
07-28-2006, 02:55 PM
I think C++ is the easiest? I havent tried any of these and dont have any plans sooner or later but I think might be the easiest because they offer it in some highschool.

draak666
07-28-2006, 08:03 PM
From looking at your criteria, I'd go for either C or Java. That is if you want to become a genuine programmer.

Visual basic is only a handy tool which allows you to (visually) improve procedures within Excel.

To put it simply

antonioledesma
07-28-2006, 10:38 PM
you're all a bunch of looooosers.... the BEST language is Pascal..... :mrgreen:

and on the serious side... why not 2? IMO Java and the other is an extra

Sir_GT
07-29-2006, 04:31 AM
you're all a bunch of looooosers.... the BEST language is Pascal..... :mrgreen:

and on the serious side... why not 2? IMO Java and the other is an extra

Can't afford two mate. They cost an arm and a leg each.

draak666: That's sort of what I was thinking too. Im wondering if the results are based on individual familiarity now, rather than the criteria.

Sir_GT
07-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Hmmm... C# isn't getting much love... :|

black_magician
07-29-2006, 09:30 PM
^^ it isn't used much.

Mattk
07-29-2006, 11:41 PM
I think C++ is the easiest? I havent tried any of these and dont have any plans sooner or later but I think might be the easiest because they offer it in some highschool.

I learnt Visual Basic, QBasic, Flash, LOGO and QPascal in high school. I've already detailed my exploits in Visual Basic. I've forgotten anything to do with QBasic, Flash was great; me and some friends made a cartoon and sent it into some competition, but we didn't win anything. LOGO was fun, but I didn't do too much with it. My greatest achievement with QPascal was to make a simple voting thing which I'm sure worked better than the voting machines in Florida back in 2000.

Visual basic is only a handy tool which allows you to (visually) improve procedures within Excel.

You can do much more than that, although that is one of its primarily purposes.

dutchmasterflex
07-30-2006, 10:40 AM
C is used everywhere.. Java sucks, its too slow, ask any programmer that works in Java.. they hate it.

C is by far the better language out of all you have listed.. all workstations, servers, mainframes are all running C programming..

you also have to know what you want to do with the software you want to create inorder to pick what language you want to use..

there are millions of well trained software jockey's around the world you know.. all ready for hire ;)

Sir_GT
07-30-2006, 11:07 AM
C is used everywhere.. Java sucks, its too slow, ask any programmer that works in Java.. they hate it.

C is by far the better language out of all you have listed.. all workstations, servers, mainframes are all running C programming..

you also have to know what you want to do with the software you want to create inorder to pick what language you want to use..

there are millions of well trained software jockey's around the world you know.. all ready for hire ;)

My girl's thinking of taking up C#, and I was planning to take up Java so that we wouldn't "compete" for clients.

Is Java really that bad then? Care to elaborate?

TNT
07-30-2006, 04:28 PM
HTML for web and flash is making leaps and bounds.

evoWalo
07-30-2006, 04:31 PM
according to microsoft java's dead.

Sir_GT
07-30-2006, 08:50 PM
HTML for web and flash is making leaps and bounds.

Yeah, but I already know HTML... and DHTML, and CSS for that matter. :|

ef: I heard VB is going to be killed off. I doubt if Java's actually dying, since that's the standard for mobile technology.

GT-R_R34
07-31-2006, 10:05 PM
i voted for Java
not a big fan of C++. due to its logic. for me visual basic was fun at school, but if you want to make money go with either Java and C++. if you know C++, you could take on Java since most of its scripts are taken from C++.
when i was in college i took the lader system basic, pascal, visual basic, C++. and i quit before taking Java.

black_magician
08-01-2006, 12:41 AM
hey, look at this.

http://www.csharphelp.com/what.html

did more searching on C#(since that's the one I know the least about), it's kinda cool. It's like half java, half C++.

dutchmasterflex
08-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Download program written in Java for the PC and tell me if you like how it runs ;)

Sir_GT
08-01-2006, 10:19 PM
^^^ Wouldn't that be a reflection of the person who wrote it? Rather than the language itself? Dunno. Just asking.

black_magician: Cheers for the link. Really interesting.