PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Top Gear test...

adman31
07-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Why doesn't Top Gear test the CLK GTR and CLK DTM. I bet those would post pretty fast Lap Times.

black_magician
07-27-2006, 11:16 AM
i think because the CLK GTR's are all broken.
http://www.casanovacars.com/mercedes_benz/car_dealer_sues_mercedes_as_17_million_clkgtr_wont _travel_10_blocks.php

Saleen S7 needs to be in there as well :)

nickthaskater
07-27-2006, 11:18 AM
They're both extremely rare cars, especially the GTR, so it probably comes down to whether or not they can even find somene who will let them test the car, and then comes the insurance (the GTR is worth around $1,000,000 USD).

saadie
07-27-2006, 11:19 AM
those are track cars ;)

the DTM road version should be tested thou ... i love that beast ... 8)

adman31
07-27-2006, 11:21 AM
those are track cars ;)

Same Here. It my 3rd Favourite Benz. Only Behind the Gullwing in 2nd and the SLR McLaren in 1st.

nickthaskater
07-27-2006, 11:22 AM
those are track cars ;)

The GTR is road legal...

saadie
07-27-2006, 11:23 AM
hah ...
whatever ....

its centuries old ..... and jermy would never fit in it ...

it was tested back in the Tiff days ...

nickthaskater
07-27-2006, 11:25 AM
Yea hard to believe the GTR is already 8 years old... The CLK DTM AMG would be a great test to see though, and it's new enough to warrant a test.

martin100
07-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Yep the GTR has become so rare and expensive that theyīll never test it IMO. Itīs a bit old aswell. The CLK-DTM however would indeed be a very nice car to test. Donīt know why they donīt do it :roll:

5vz-fe
07-27-2006, 11:45 AM
I actually wish they could drive some rally cars around the top gear test track.

5vz-fe
07-27-2006, 11:50 AM
It's not easy to get hold of one...that's why. Look what trouble they went through to get the Enzo...the GTR is much more rare.

If only the garage queens will come out of the garage LOL.

No.1
07-27-2006, 11:55 AM
It's not easy to get hold of one...that's why. Look what trouble they went through to get the Enzo...the GTR is much more rare.

I disagree.... about the Enzo. THere are plenty of owners in the UK that have offered their Enzo's to magazines, TV shows, car exhibition/displays etc...

As for the CLK GTR - i don't even know if there is one in the UK. :bah:

Shinigami
07-27-2006, 11:59 AM
http://www.casanovacars.com/mercedes_benz/car_dealer_sues_mercedes_as_17_million_clkgtr_wont _travel_10_blocks.php
Wow, based on one article about one car, ALL CLK GTR's are broken!

You learn something everyday...

No.1
07-27-2006, 01:20 PM

I disagree.... about the Enzo. THere are plenty of owners in the UK that have offered their Enzo's to magazines, TV shows, car exhibition/displays etc...

As for the CLK GTR - i don't even know if there is one in the UK. :bah:

Why did it take so long for them to get one then...? :?

As is customary, TG usually test other cars much later than 5th Gear. They are not in the bsuiness of attending international press launches (which is why 5th Gear get the 997 Turbo and 599 reviews already) preferring to wait until they can get a car on their airfield.

They were a little late with the Enzo, but that was probably because of filming schedules etc... rather than a delay. They used Nick Mason's car, right? Well, in that case, anybody can get hold of any of his cars (fora price) to use in filming as he runs a company supplying the media and other industries with cars including his 250 GTO and McLaren F1.

However, due to "the unique way in which the BBC is funded" (JC's words, not mine) they will not be too willing to part with their cash, and so rely on more generous owners.

black_magician
07-27-2006, 02:48 PM

one down, four to go... thats 20% broken. :lol:

nickthaskater
07-27-2006, 07:51 PM
There're more than 5 CLK-GTR actually - 5 is the number for the CLK-GTR Roadster... :wink:
Indubitably

Mattk
07-31-2006, 10:32 AM
I actually wish they could drive some rally cars around the top gear test track.

They have.

The car dealer may not win. Mercedes Benz may claim that he broke the car himself.

Remco558
09-20-2006, 04:19 AM
the veyron on the track would be nice i suppose.
or testing the lambo LP640 together with the ferrari 599

TopGearNL
09-20-2006, 06:34 AM
[quote]

They have.

[quote]

True, for instance the old vs new, were some rally cars in that test 8)