PDA

View Full Version : Behind the scenes of Top Gear ** Spoiler Warning **

vexor
07-18-2006, 08:33 PM
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22750-2270385,00.html

From what I can understand from the article, apparently they will have Season 9 starting in October (October 8th) and then after that the show is up in the air. Will they have another season or kill it?

antonioledesma
07-18-2006, 08:42 PM
what I could understand is that they only have secured next season. No news for another season in 2007.

spanky
07-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the article!

All good things come to an end at some point. Will something as good rise up in its place? :hmm:

RC45
07-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the article!

All good things come to an end at some point. Will something as good rise up in its place? :hmm:

That is the quesiton... ;)

On one level it is a show about cars. But it is really a show about men talking about cars.

Is this why you guys watch the show? So you can see the juvinile antics?

Ir do you watch it for the cars and tests and Stig lap times??

Caplax40
07-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the article!

That is the quesiton... ;)

On one level it is a show about cars. But it is really a show about men talking about cars.

Is this why you guys watch the show? So you can see the juvinile antics?

Ir do you watch it for the cars and tests and Stig lap times??

Both!

RC45
07-18-2006, 11:24 PM
I kinda thought their antics were getting a little boring.

nthfinity
07-18-2006, 11:39 PM

I want to see the cars on the track, not some toyboata, and some camper-van burn down.

Apac102
07-19-2006, 01:11 AM
I agree. Once and awhile its good to see some antics to liven up the show and not have the stig racing around the track; you need some variety. But lately, I feel they are doing too much of the fun stuff and not enough of car testing. For example, in the last episode when the have the Stig race in the Toyota F1 car...that was utterly pointless. The camper was good to see because it was a new way to look at cars by using camper vans. It just helped prove the point that campers are useless. The only reason why I think they are doing these fun little skits is because they don't have a lot of cars to test. What is out there that they could be testing?

Though....Tiff next week on Fifth Gear is going to compare the Mclaren F1 vs. Ferrari Enzo. Im pretty much have a raging boner to watch that.

Fleischmann
07-19-2006, 02:06 AM
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22750-2270385,00.html

From what I can understand from the article, apparently they will have Season 9 starting in October (October 8th) and then after that the show is up in the air. Will they have another season or kill it?

They can't afford not to produce another Top Gear :P With hundreds of millions of viewers each week the cash load must be quite high.

GRiP_DRiVER
07-19-2006, 02:43 AM

I want to see the cars on the track, not some toyboata, and some camper-van burn down.

I'm with you guys. Over time even the best joke gets boring.

fsandys
07-19-2006, 06:53 AM
"Despite its success, Top Gear is an endangered species. Clarkson is convinced its days are numbered because, like any show, it will eventually run out of plot lines and gags. Wilman hopes he will have the courage to kill it off before it flags."

This is sad, I mean, you could use less gags and do more car testing, there are always cars to test. Whilst the show would change its overall feel, at least it would survive.

Jabba
07-19-2006, 08:03 AM
It must be very hard to keep thinking up these "time fillers" and making them reasonably funny as well. I cant see how it can go on forever like this, and this season is already "scraping the bottom of the barrel" I think sadly they need to take a couple of years off and come back with a new a fresh format, kinda re-inventing themselves I guess. Oh and get rid of the damn dog and bring back fatty !

RC45
07-19-2006, 09:31 AM
JC is a victim of his own success.

He nurtured this persona that ia now expected (or so he thinks) - his column, appearances and TV shows are all riddled with the same hyberbole and farce - people don't care what he is saying or doing, as long as he is saying or doing it in a certain way.

This is probably the script from the closing scene of the last episode of TG

[jezza voice over on]

Over the years we have seen the British public television car show grow from a frumpy Wednesday evening "hows the latest Austin Marina compare to the Renault Vomit" with conservatively dressed presenters trying all the while to be like prime time Arthur Skargills...

...to the mid 90's frantic peak filled with hooliganism and thrashings of mayhem with screeching tyres, obnoxious excess and out rageous heaps of automotive ecstacy...

...to what it sadly has become today - Yes, it is true, the British public television car show has sort of morphed into "The Jeremy Clarkson Show" with some cars rather than "That car show with Jeremy Clarkson".

While we attempt to maintain our "pack of wild english mastiffs on the hunt" persona, the truth is beginning to hit the streets that we are just a mob of mildy funny beagles whose useful time on the farm as rat catchers has just about run out.

In fact, were it not for the hordes of environmentalists outside, whom all travelled here by bus and had tofu sandwiches for lunch, the BBC would have canned the lot of years ago - but we are apparently the only means of raising pressing environmental public issues to such a level that the news programs now refer to them as "the issues brought to light by that Clarkson bloke"

[jezza voice over off]

Its about as oddball and weird as anything hes said before :P ;)