PDA

View Full Version : (Getting new Camera) Updated! Got a Nikon D50!

TopGearNL
07-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Well Im fed up with my Canon Ixus 3.2 megapixel, no don't get me wrong its a Brilliant camera, its just I want to go up a level :wink:

I have been reading topics, articles and watched many pics both on JW and on the net.

I am really thinking of buying the Canon Eos 350D, worked a lot these last couple of months and now have some money to spend.

I am a rookie really at this level of photographing, so any tips or advices from our Top Car Spotters such as TT, Dani, Pterps, MartijnGizmo and many more???

Thanks in advance :!:

pterps
07-06-2006, 03:13 PM
We all started as rookies, and I still consider myself as a rookie with the EOS 350D, all I can say is that the 350D is fantastic camera, make sure you get some good lenses with it!
For the best tips you'd better listen to TT and Martijn.

TopGearNL
07-06-2006, 03:17 PM
We all started as rookies, and I still consider myself as a rookie with the EOS 350D, all I can say is that the 350D is fantastic camera, make sure you get some good lenses with it!
For the best tips you'd better listen to TT and Martijn.

Thanks Pterps, I have seen some of the stuff that others did/shot with that camera, really unbelievable :shock: . Its currently for sale in the neighbourhood for 625 Euro (shop is Saturn) and at the local photgraphy shop for 699 Euro. They both come with the normal package I presume, is that just the typical lense, and if so should I get a other lense aswell?

pterps
07-06-2006, 03:22 PM
I have the standard 18-55 mm, but I don't use that a lot. I prefer to use my 75-300, wich I bought together with the camera and 18-55 at Dixons as a special offer for around € 900,-
And than there was the insurace, 1 GB card and the Bag wich brought it to € 1100,-.

TopGearNL
07-06-2006, 03:27 PM
And there was me thinking I nearly had the money :cry:

saadie
07-06-2006, 03:32 PM
imo 350D is the best option :P ... as i've told you before ..

you can learn just about everyhting about digital prefessional photography with taht camera .. .that is ... if you are interested i how cameras work :P

TopGearNL
07-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Ok, the Memory card isn't a problem, got that already, the 75-300 lense is the standard one I understand, I see the 18-55 second hand for around 60 Euro's so thats not bad, how much was the insurance Pterps?

pterps
07-06-2006, 03:36 PM
The 18-55 is the standard lense!

TopGearNL
07-06-2006, 03:38 PM
/\/\ thats what I meant :oops:

how much was the insurance?

pterps
07-06-2006, 03:40 PM
I don't know exactly, between 50 and 100 euro's I believe, for 3 years, inlcuding damage.

TopGearNL
07-06-2006, 03:41 PM
ok the 75-300 lense is more around 175 Euro :x

TopGearNL
07-06-2006, 03:41 PM
I don't know exactly, between 50 and 100 euro's I believe, for 3 years, inlcuding damage.

thats not bad really

MartijnGizmo
07-06-2006, 05:22 PM
As much as I am a Canon-man, I'd advise to look into the Nikon D50. It performs even better at high ISO's and it's incredibly cheap!

harryo2b
07-06-2006, 05:41 PM
As much as I am a Canon-man, I'd advise to look into the Nikon D50. It performs even better at high ISO's and it's incredibly cheap!

I have been looking into the 350D and D50 as well and right now I can get either the 350D for 602 Euro or the D50 for 430 Euro both with lens kits. Is the 350D that much more superior with a Canon IS lens or with the D50 do the same thing equiped with a high quality Nikon lens?

(Rookie photographer wanting to learn more about taking proper pics and techniques and wanting to learn from my results instantly.)

TopGearNL
07-06-2006, 06:09 PM

I have been looking into the 350D and D50 as well and right now I can get either the 350D for 602 Euro or the D50 for 430 Euro both with lens kits. Is the 350D that much more superior with a Canon IS lens or with the D50 do the same thing equiped with a high quality Nikon lens?

(Rookie photographer wanting to learn more about taking proper pics and techniques and wanting to learn from my results instantly.)

/\/\ exactly me (except for the Boxster offcourse) 8)

Thanks MartijnGizmo, Ill have a look at the Nikon tomorrow :!:

Thanks Phobo too, if that is the case then I really should buy it at Saturn, they have only opened a job just this week and are already pricefighting the rest :shock:

TopGearNL
07-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Does anyone on this forum use the D50, or has experience with it?

MartijnGizmo
07-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Don't get an insurance at a electronics store, they are way overpriced. I pay €7 a month for a €5000 coverage in a "valuable goods outdoors insurance" (crappy translation) from Centraal Beheer.

TopGearNL
07-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Don't get an insurance at a electronics store, they are way overpriced. I pay €7 a month for a €5000 coverage in a "valuable goods outdoors insurance" (crappy translation) from Centraal Beheer.

Ok I see, thanks MartijnGizmo!! That Nikon really is cheaper :shock:

What are the main differences between 350D and D50 other then 8.0 and 6.0 Megapixels, I mean could you spot a real difference? :?

RC45
07-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Sameerrao has a D50

TopGearNL
07-07-2006, 03:37 AM
/\/\ thanks RC!

MartijnGizmo
07-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Ok I see, thanks MartijnGizmo!! That Nikon really is cheaper :shock:

What are the main differences between 350D and D50 other then 8.0 and 6.0 Megapixels, I mean could you spot a real difference? :?

On DPreview.com you can put them side-by-side.

Don't get too much into the 6MP vs 8MP, it's just 3456 x 2304 vs 3008 x 2000 pixels. Also the D50 uses SD-cards. Advantages of the D50 are: larger size, larger screen, less noise. If you get a body-only and buy a used 18-70 (D70-kitlens) you've got a great starterset.

RC45
07-07-2006, 09:47 AM
So the concensus is that a D50 with a choice lense is worth the savings over a D70 with a so-so lense for the asmae price?

Or is the step fom the D50 to the D70 very much worth the extra money spent in the long term?

ae86_16v
07-07-2006, 09:55 AM
So the concensus is that a D50 with a choice lense is worth the savings over a D70 with a so-so lense for the asmae price?

Or is the step fom the D50 to the D70 very much worth the extra money spent in the long term?

For me it was, picked up a D50 w/ an used 18-70mm for just a shade over $600 US. Also keep in mind that Photokina will be coming in about 2 months. So if you could wait, wait it out. The D70s will definitely get replaced and probably will see an updated D50.

The 18-70mm kit lens from the D70s/D200 is an awesome lense. The 18-55 on the D50 is also very good by most accounts.

Although the D50 is targeted at a beginner segment verse the D70/D70s targeted at the amateur segment. You will see more "pro" features on the D70s. Also keep in mind that as far as direct competitors, I see the D70s more inline with the 350D than the D50. The D50 was slotted in as an entry level segment right below.

There are numerous sites that listed the features missing.

Here's one w/ side by side comparison w/ the Rebel XT 350D.

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/NikonD50vsD70SvsXT_images.shtml

sameerrao
07-07-2006, 01:31 PM

The two main advantages I see in getting a D70S over a D50 are:
a) Slightly faster burst rates (The D50 has a 2.5 frame per sec continuous shooting rate while the D70 has a 3 fps shooting rate). This would really make itself useful if you are at a race track and shooting the carnage into the first corner as in the US GP. But really this difference is minor for 99% of us
b) Slightly bigger body - The D70 is more comfortable to hold as it is a bit larger. To me the Rebel XT was too small to hold comfortably. This makes a huge difference when you have a high end lens (read heavy - 3 lb+) attached. The bigger the lens the bigger the body. The D200 or EOS 20D are perhaps the right size for the F2.8 lenses.

Ideally if you can buy a used D70S at close to a new D50 price then this is the best bet. Alternatively buy a new D50. You will be happy for sure.

Net net, I think the decision is more in line with the lenses that you buy - if you are getting into professional grade lenses then a D70 is better. Else the D50 will be more than sufficient.

Spend your money on lenses. The body is less important.

RC45
07-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Yep - pretty much what I was thinking.

I like reading this guys honest answers http://www.kenrockwell.com/ makes a lot of sense, and even has some counterpoints that may help quash heresay and rumour.. ;)

MartijnGizmo
07-07-2006, 03:59 PM
The only real advantage that the D70(s) has over the D50 is the second wheel to adjust aperture/shutterspeed. But money spend on lenses is always better!

I'd get a D50 with good lenses, or save up for a D200. No need to get the D70s.

I like reading this guys honest answers http://www.kenrockwell.com/ makes a lot of sense, and even has some counterpoints that may help quash heresay and rumour.. ;)

Lesson #1: never believe Ken Rockwell, he's totally biased and considered a clown by a lot of people.

RC45
07-07-2006, 04:54 PM

Lesson #1: never believe Ken Rockwell, he's totally biased and considered a clown by a lot of people.

Lesson #2: The fact that he pisses off so many wannabes and poseurs is why what he has to say is so great :)

The fact that an open view such as Ken's makes people think he is a clown, is hwy he is so great. :)

Far from being biased - he is stating folks should not be biased.

BUt then again if you are a Measurbator of course you need to join the ranks of the Ken Haters ;)

TopGearNL
07-07-2006, 05:34 PM
LOL ok, reading all the comments now and thanks for that guys, really appreciate it. But here is the one question, I want to shoot nice pics (obvious) and panning shots! Is it the camera that makes the difference or the lense, because if its the lense Im better off buying the cheaper Nikon.

Second question: what would put me off to buy the Canon 350D (Nikon) or yet stimulate me to get that Canon :twisted:

TopGearNL
07-07-2006, 05:52 PM
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos350d%2Cnikon_d50&show=all

sameerrao
07-07-2006, 06:32 PM
LOL ok, reading all the comments now and thanks for that guys, really appreciate it. But here is the one question, I want to shoot nice pics (obvious) and panning shots! Is it the camera that makes the difference or the lense, because if its the lense Im better off buying the cheaper Nikon.

Second question: what would put me off to buy the Canon 350D (Nikon) or yet stimulate me to get that Canon :twisted:

Great lenses will certainly help you take better pictures but technique matters a heck of lot more.

I have the D50 with great lenses Nikon 70-200 VR and 18-70DX. Now it is up to me to make sure I take good pictures. I can't make excuses about my equipment any more:)

sentra_dude
07-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Does anyone on this forum use the D50, or has experience with it?

I do, and several other guys on JW have one (dutchmasterflex, sameerrao, ae86_16v, probably others I'm not thinking of...). Its a great camera, and if you want an SLR, but don't want to spend a huge amount of cash, its a good buy. I personally have never used a D70/D70s, but if you are concerned about picture quality, I'm 90% they use the same image sensor (with maybe a few differences?) so there really isn't much difference, except that from the D70s's nicer lens. I've also looked at pics side-by-side of D70s vs D50 (with same lens), and I can't tell any difference (but I'm no expert). Its mainly that the D70s has more features, and comes standard with a very nice lens...but the D50 still comes with lots of good features. :P

The Canon 350D is obviously a great, great camera too, but for me, 6.0 MP is plenty. When you are shopping for a camera you think its a huge difference...and you want that "8.0MP", but when it comes down to actually shooting pics, its not such a big deal...I'm sure others would agree. Don't get me wrong, its certainly nice, but if you are just starting out, its not super neccessary.

I'm obviously going to recommend my camera ;), but I really do think its a great SLR to start with. Another nice thing of the D50, is it has a nice 'feel' to it, and it just felt better in my hands than the Canon. That is a very personal preference though, and you should spend time in the store holding and 'shooting' whatever cameras you plan to buy.

Good luck deciding, you can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon, and hopefully we'll be seeing some SLR pics from you soon! 8)

ae86_16v
07-08-2006, 04:54 AM

Lesson #2: The fact that he pisses off so many wannabes and poseurs is why what he has to say is so great :)

The fact that an open view such as Ken's makes people think he is a clown, is hwy he is so great. :)

Far from being biased - he is stating folks should not be biased.

BUt then again if you are a Measurbator of course you need to join the ranks of the Ken Haters ;)

But it is to the point of blindingly bias. I am a huge Nikon fan and hope they will continue making great products, but I will not be on Nikon's nuts if they make a bad lens or camera.

To him, everything Nikon makes is god send.

MartijnGizmo
07-08-2006, 08:14 AM
The Canon 350D is obviously a great, great camera too, but for me, 6.0 MP is plenty. When you are shopping for a camera you think its a huge difference...and you want that "8.0MP", but when it comes down to actually shooting pics, its not such a big deal...I'm sure others would agree. Don't get me wrong, its certainly nice, but if you are just starting out, its not super neccessary.

Yup, I agree. IMHO the larger body of the D50 makes a bigger difference than the 2MP makes.

TopGearNL
07-08-2006, 04:18 PM
ok guys, :!: Thanks again for all your great and many text containing replies WOW!!! :!:

Ive read many reviews on the net and offcourse everyone thinks the world of his own camera and the camara is personal to everyone offcourse!

But reading the many reviews and all of your comments I am thinking about taking the Nikon D50.

Now its just a question of finding the right lenses for it (for what I want to do with it) and find a nice deal!

Could any of you maybe help me with that also, please :mrgreen: ??

ae86_16v
07-08-2006, 04:32 PM
ok guys, :!: Thanks again for all your great and many text containing replies WOW!!! :!:

Ive read many reviews on the net and offcourse everyone thinks the world of his own camera and the camara is personal to everyone offcourse!

But reading the many reviews and all of your comments I am thinking about taking the Nikon D50.

Now its just a question of finding the right lenses for it (for what I want to do with it) and find a nice deal!

Could any of you maybe help me with that also, please :mrgreen: ??

See if you could get a Body only, then find the 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5. That lens should be around $200 US or so.

You could also add the 70-300mm G f/4-5.6 lens for around $100 - $150 US and that will give you the reach for cheap. At that price you can't really go wrong.

If you want an all in one answer, get the 18-200mm VR II f/3.5-5.6 for around $700.

TopGearNL
07-08-2006, 04:49 PM
I am going to a prof shop this tuesday, are there also good online shops where I could have a look at all those /\/\ lenses etc in the meanwhile. :wink:

ae86_16v
07-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Even though I don't really like Ken Rockwell, he does have a comprehensive list:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1870.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300g.htm
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

TopGearNL
07-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Ill have a look at that, thanks :wink:

Ok I read it and wondered what lenses you guys use to shoot cars, I mean most preferrable?

TopGearNL
07-09-2006, 12:02 PM
How good is the lens that comes with the kit, I heared that the one that comes with the Canon kit is crap in comparision with the one that comes with the Nikon.

sameerrao
07-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Ill have a look at that, thanks :wink:

Ok I read it and wondered what lenses you guys use to shoot cars, I mean most preferrable?

I will use the 18-70DX for the interior and close-up shots and the 70-200 VR for action/motion shots and also exterior photoshoots.

What do you buy?
If your budget is tight - The 18-70 is perhaps the best starter lens. Buy it and then perhaps add another lens later if it is needed.

If you have more cash rolling in the ol piggy bank, go for the 18-200 VR for more versatility with the mega zoom range and stability with the VR.

TopGearNL
07-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Is it worth going for the kitlens, the 18-55? I want to photograph just cars and if possible make panning shots. Or is it better to buy just the body and the 18-70 lens seperate?

My budget is a bit tight yes, don't want to spend more then 1000 Euro's if possible !

RC45
07-09-2006, 02:55 PM
But it is to the point of blindingly bias. I am a huge Nikon fan and hope they will continue making great products, but I will not be on Nikon's nuts if they make a bad lens or camera.

See - this is the type of nonsense I read all over the Interweb.

The Guy uses Nikon and prefers it - that makes him blindly biased?

No - OTHER people just don't like the fact he calls people with more money than talent uselss hacks.

That is why people don't like him - because he says a guy on abudget with a crappy camera and talent is BETTER than some rich arsehole with $50,000 of cameras for a hobby.

The guy is simply saying "talent and ability forst, equipment second".

This thread is a PERFECT example of what he is tlking about.

Here is a guy on a tight budget who wants to talke decent pictures, and he is MORE worried about "the equipment" than practice, talent and ability.

FFS man, just buy a camera that fis your budget and and leaves some money spare, then get out there and take lots of pictures - experiment and practice.

I have taken pictures with a D70 and a $800 lense that suck and pictures with my Kodak point and shoot that are awesome.

You [TopgeraNL] may as well buy a decent condition used body from a local camera store and then get a decent lense for your money spent.

It's after all still going to come down to the light, subject matter, ability to interpret the controls on the camera, a stead hand (or tripod) and a good eye to take a great picture.

This argument is the same as the "ferrai vs Mazda Miata" one.

There are Ferrari owners who think everything else is shit, yet they couldn't lap a race track in their F-Car to save their lives, and then their are folsk in a Mazda Miata who would lap a guy in a 360CS.. ;)

Every now and again, however, you get a Ferrari owner who enjoys learning the lines in a Mazda Miata - and understands what it takes to be good... Ken Rockwell is such a man in photography terms.

;)

Don't hate him because he makes sense.. :P

MartijnGizmo
07-09-2006, 04:39 PM
I am going to a prof shop this tuesday, are there also good online shops where I could have a look at all those /\/\ lenses etc in the meanwhile. :wink:

Foto Konijnenberg, http://www.koopdigitaal.nl

A lot of your questions are answered already on the Dutch GoT (Gathering Of Tweakers). http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_topics/71

TopGearNL
07-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks RC, I respect your opninion!

And thanks also to Martijn, I already looked at the forums etc but am just trying to get some facts straight. Main question is is it better (for cars and panning shots) to buy the kitlens or am I better of buying the body and the 18-70 lens seperate? Im sorry to ask again its just that on the forums nothing is said about photographing cars :(

MartijnGizmo
07-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Well, you can do carshots with any lens, but the 18-70 is just a better lens than the 18-55.

TopGearNL
07-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Ok thanks for that, that will make a major difference in my buy :wink:

ae86_16v
07-09-2006, 06:08 PM

See - this is the type of nonsense I read all over the Interweb.

The Guy uses Nikon and prefers it - that makes him blindly biased?

No - OTHER people just don't like the fact he calls people with more money than talent uselss hacks.

That is why people don't like him - because he says a guy on abudget with a crappy camera and talent is BETTER than some rich arsehole with $50,000 of cameras for a hobby.

The guy is simply saying "talent and ability forst, equipment second".

Here is a guy on a tight budget who wants to talke decent pictures, and he is MORE worried about "the equipment" than practice, talent and ability.

FFS man, just buy a camera that fis your budget and and leaves some money spare, then get out there and take lots of pictures - experiment and practice.

I have taken pictures with a D70 and a $800 lense that suck and pictures with my Kodak point and shoot that are awesome.

You [TopgeraNL] may as well buy a decent condition used body from a local camera store and then get a decent lense for your money spent.

It's after all still going to come down to the light, subject matter, ability to interpret the controls on the camera, a stead hand (or tripod) and a good eye to take a great picture.

This argument is the same as the "ferrai vs Mazda Miata" one.

There are Ferrari owners who think everything else is shit, yet they couldn't lap a race track in their F-Car to save their lives, and then their are folsk in a Mazda Miata who would lap a guy in a 360CS.. ;)

Every now and again, however, you get a Ferrari owner who enjoys learning the lines in a Mazda Miata - and understands what it takes to be good... Ken Rockwell is such a man in photography terms.

;)

Don't hate him because he makes sense.. :P

Which I agree w/ him more than anything else that the person behind the lens is more important than the equipment. I like you have seen pictures that blow me away from Camera phones. Where as I have also seen some with Canon 30Ds that doesn't stir any emotions at all.

For example I will para-phrase him: "The 18-200VR is the best lens in the world except for the Distortion." That is like saying "Otherwise than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

How could distortion not matter? I don't care if it is a 18-500mm if the lens sucks it sucks.

Like I said, I read his reviews and everything that Nikon makes is the best! Which is simply not true.

If you looked at my first reponses, I told TopGear that it doesn't matter which camera he picks because both are excellent offerings. In the US the Rebel XT 350D w/ rebates has dropped down to slightly over $500. Bang for the buck, the XT is a better deal than the $599 D50 w/ Kit Lens.

Like I recommended earlier, he should just get the D50 w/ 18-70mm and a 70-300G lens.

Although don't knock the 18-55mm. It is still a very good kit lens, it is just a tad slow.

Also, I would like to point out, Ken Rockwell recommends the 18-55mm over the 18-70mm.

Here's a few more sites:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp
http://www.bythom.com/
http://www.dpreview.com/

TopGearNL
07-09-2006, 06:30 PM
/\/\ The Canon is more expensive over here in any way then the Nikon.

I have already chosen the camera I am going to buy following all of your comments and reading various reviews. Thanks for all the links which led to most of them :!:

I am going to take the Nikon D50. I already knew that even before I saw this on the net, that the D50 is currently on offer in a local camera store for 469 Euro's including lens!!

See \/\/ !
http://www.fotoklein.nl/pdf/krantweek27.pdf

Everywhere else on the net it isn't cheaper then 500 Euro's for just the body without lens!

So you understand that Ill be hauling my ass tomorrow since the offer isn't for ever, Ill probably will buy it and then save up for a lens that is better (thanks wae86_16v and MartijnGizmo!)

RC, I am a beginner at this I know, and I agree that it depends more on the person then the equipment for the outcome of the pic. But I have a bit of experience with many normal digital camera's and phones.

Update very soon, with a purchase I hope :twisted:

ae86_16v
07-09-2006, 06:37 PM
/\/\ The Canon is more expensive over here in any way then the Nikon.

I have already chosen the camera I am going to buy following all of your comments and reading various reviews. Thanks for all the links which led to most of them :!:

I am going to take the Nikon D50. I already knew that even before I saw this on the net, the D50 is currently on offer in a local camera store for 469 Euro's including lens!!

[Truncated]

. . .

Good decision. I know for a fact that you'll enjoy using the D50.

Don't worry about the 18-55mm holding you back. It still takes excellent pictures. The only thing that sucks about the 18-55mm is the obvious, it doesn't have enough reach.

Like I recommended earlier, the 70-300G is a really cheap lens, but it is a good bang for the buck. Here in the US it is usually only around $150 or so. It is a slow lens too, but if you are at the track during the day, it should've be too much of a problem.

TopGearNL
07-09-2006, 06:48 PM
So 18-55mm lens isn't bad for panning shots either, but the 70-300 would be a better lens for the job?

Which brand would you recommend, Nikkor, Tokina etc etc ?

ae86_16v
07-09-2006, 07:04 PM
So 18-55mm lens isn't bad for panning shots either, but the 70-300 would be a better lens for the job?

Which brand would you recommend, Nikkor, Tokina etc etc ?

Well, if you could get close enough w/ the 18-55mm. Look at the panning shot thread to get more of an idea. I am sure the 70-300mm will give you the reach to sit at the side of track, where as the 18-55mm won't reach.

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37557&start=0

I shoot mainly landscape and such so the 18mm wide end is needed for what I do.

As far as brand is concern, I do not have much experience in this as far as what is good and what is not. Right now, I only have the Nikkor 18-70mm mounted on my D50 and looking to pick up a 70-300mm before my next trip. Or if I could afford it, maybe even the 18-200VR :lol: .

But I agree w/ Ken Rockwell on this point, you get what you pay for. So there might be some deals out there if you go w/ a Sigma lens but do not expect it to perform against a more expensive Nikkor. With that said, I would have no problem buying a good Sigma or Tamron lens verses a lower grade Nikkor.

Ken & Thom reviews lenses from other brands as well as Nikkors, so definitely take a look at that.

RC45
07-10-2006, 02:26 AM
For example I will para-phrase him: "The 18-200VR is the best lens in the world except for the Distortion." That is like saying "Otherwise than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

How could distortion not matter? I don't care if it is a 18-500mm if the lens sucks it sucks.

Like I said, I read his reviews and everything that Nikon makes is the best! Which is simply not true.

Well of course you have to filter out his ego and brand loyalty - but I was more interested in his philosophy than his brand and model opinions ;)

ae86_16v
07-10-2006, 02:38 AM

Well of course you have to filter out his ego and brand loyalty - but I was more interested in his philosophy than his brand and model opinions ;)

Agreed. That was something that I didn't even get to yet. He has an ego the size of Texas and California combined. (By the way, I still want a 18-200mm even w/ the distortion :) .)

And off the topic but Oakland Airport is not that bad:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/travel/oakland-airport.htm

Actually I am flying out of there tomorrow maybe I should take some pictures ;) .

MartijnGizmo
07-10-2006, 07:03 AM
I am going to take the Nikon D50. I already knew that even before I saw this on the net, that the D50 is currently on offer in a local camera store for 469 Euro's including lens!!

See \/\/ !

Everywhere else on the net it isn't cheaper then 500 Euro's for just the body without lens!

So you understand that Ill be hauling my ass tomorrow since the offer isn't for ever, Ill probably will buy it and then save up for a lens that is better (thanks wae86_16v and MartijnGizmo!)

I believe that offer is with the old 28-80, a bunch of junk and you'll have no wide-angle at all.

TopGearNL
07-10-2006, 02:15 PM

See \/\/ !

I believe that offer is with the old 28-80, a bunch of junk and you'll have no wide-angle at all.

Shop was closed unfortanately today, going back tomorrow. I understand MartijnGizmo, I only noticed in a later stadium that it also came with that lens. But 469 isn't a bad price for the Nikon D50, even for the body its acceptable I thought :?

That the 28-80 lens is a bunch of junk probably means that I will buy an extra lens. Wae86_16v said that (ken rockwell) the 18-55 is a better lens then the 18-70, http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1855.htm and you (martijngizmo) say the opposite?? Who is right? Because this is an important decision :wink:

sameerrao
07-10-2006, 03:38 PM
The 18-70 is a better lens than the 18-55 for the following reasons:
- More usable zoom - the 55mm range is a bit too short. In fact I think the 70mm is a bit short as well.
- Better low-light performance at max zoom range - F5.6@55mm for the 18-55 vs F4.5@70mm for the 18-70mm.
- Separate focus ring in the 18-70mm lens vs a crappy ring on the outer edge of the lens on the 18-55

Don't buy the 18-55 if you can afford the 18-70

MartijnGizmo
07-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Wae86_16v said that (ken rockwell) the 18-55 is a better lens then the 18-70, http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1855.htm and you (martijngizmo) say the opposite?? Who is right? Because this is an important decision :wink:

Uh, yeah, either believe Ken Rockwell or look at real tests.....

18-55: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/nikkor_1855_3556/index.htm

18-70: http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/nikkor_1870_3545/index.htm

TopGearNL
07-10-2006, 04:27 PM
I probably will buy the 18-55, not because I think its a better lens but thinking of my budget. Been watching other topics and pics and think Ill add my lenses with a 70-300 lens for panning shots. Is this a good idea?

sameerrao
07-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Go for it .... Too much analysis leads to paralysis ....

TopGearNL
07-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Do you use the 18-70 lens Sameerrao, and if yes, how are the panning shots, I can't seem to find anything on the net about this? Because if they are fine, and the zoom is allright Im better of getting that lense straigtaway! :wink:

sameerrao
07-10-2006, 06:06 PM
I haven't used it for panning so can't say. I am pretty sure that both lenses will be good though. The 18-70 gives you greater reach - so you can perhaps take pictures from the opposite side of the road if need be.

But panning is probably the easiest test that you can put to a lens. This is because you use slow shutter speeds - like 1/50, 1/100 or 1/200 max and as a result can use small apertures like F6-9 depending on the light and lens sweet spot. Good panning shots are the result of lot of practice and good hand holding technique. You dont really need IS/VR (though it can help with very slow shutter speeds). You dont need expensive glass either.

Faster glass makes itself more useful when the cars are lot faster like say F1 cars and the ambient light is poor.

Go for the 18-70 if you can or else buy a 18-55 and get shooting ....

TopGearNL
07-10-2006, 06:08 PM
/\/\Will do, Ill keep this topic updated!! :wink:

Thanks for all your help guys :!: :!: :mrgreen:

ae86_16v
07-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Wae86_16v said that (ken rockwell) the 18-55 is a better lens then the 18-70, http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1855.htm and you (martijngizmo) say the opposite?? Who is right? Because this is an important decision :wink:

FYI, I have the 18-70mm mounted on my D50 :lol: .

RC45
07-10-2006, 10:47 PM
OK - time to buy RC45 a couple decent lenses for a D70S.

You have to choose 3 reasonably priced but good lenses.

Have at it.

Lense, use, reason and price. ;)

ae86_16v
07-10-2006, 11:01 PM

From Photozone:

However, the optical quality of the lens is not all that bad. The resolution figures are actually very good and not much worse compared to much higher priced models. The contrast level at large apertures leaves something to be desired though (dull colors). The distortion characteristic is about average whereas the vignetting is surprisingly well controlled for a DX-type lens (APS-C image circle). Chromatic aberrations are quite high and can be field relevant in some situations. Naturally this has all to be seen in the context of the extremely low price tag so all-in-all it is almost surprising what the lens is capable to deliver.

And a couple of more links:

http://www.bythom.com/1855lens.htm
http://www.bythom.com/1870lens.htm

So in the end, I don't think you'll be short changing yourself if you get the 18-55mm. Although the 18-70mm is superior, the 18-55mm is still a very good kit lens. If you are on a budget, I would go 18-55mm and 70-300mm.

sameerrao
07-11-2006, 12:20 AM
OK - time to buy RC45 a couple decent lenses for a D70S.

You have to choose 3 reasonably priced but good lenses.

Have at it.

Lense, use, reason and price. ;)

I am not sure how you define reasonable but here are my suggestions ...

A) Lens for exterior and interior shots of the car + use as holiday/travel lens ...
#1 pick... Nikkor 18-200VR - Price $750-1000 depending on website
#2 pick... Nikkor 18-70DX - Price $270 from adorama.com
The 18-200 is perhaps the best all-purpose lens in the world. All the zoom you want and with decent sharpness and small size with vibration reduction feature that reduces the possibility of poor pictures die to lens shake. However, finding this lens is as difficult as finding hen's teeth. The second pick is a great lens with good glass and cheap price. Both lenses have adequate wide angle to take those shots where you have 8 cars parked for a comparo

I would recommend you save the $500 by buying the second lens and use the surplus cash in the following item below ...

B) Lens for action shots, sports photography + great bokeh (a function of depth of field that highlights the object in focus and blurs the background)
#1 pick ... Nikkor 70-200mmVR F2.8 - Price about $1700
#2 pick ... Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 - Price about $700-800
#3 pick ... Nikkor 80-200mm F2.8 - Price about $900-1000

The Nikkor 70-200mm VR is perhaps the best quality zoom lens that nikkor makes and it is up there with the best prime lenses that Nikon has ever made. It has lightening fast autofocus, decent zoom range and VR that enables you to handhold it without causing shaky images. Particularly important as the lens is pretty heavy - ~3lb. I have this lens and I absolutely love it.

The Sigma and Nikkor 80-200mm are close to each other in second place - the Nikon lens has the same glass as the 70-200 (without the latest autofocus mechanism or the vibration reduction feature). The Sigma fights back with decent picture quality, lighter weight and marginally faster autofocus.

No question that if you can afford it for the nikkor 70-200VR. Additionally, this lens has the added benefit that you can attach Nikon teleconverter lenses (1.4X, 1.7X and 2.0X) that gives you more reach with minimal loss of quality ... the 1.4X is supposed to be very, very good. I am not sure about the 1.7X though

3) Get the Nikon 1.4X teleconverter for the 70-200VR - $400 new or $300 or so used.

There are other lenses that would suit different tasks but let me know if there is a need that isn't met by these lenses and I can think up another for you

RC45
07-11-2006, 01:02 AM
Thanks mate.

You think I could get it all sourced by Saturday?

D70S Body local and maybe the Nikkor 18-200VR and the Nikkor 18-70DX .

We of course will also need a Sigma 70-200mm for action shots.

What do you think?

sameerrao
07-11-2006, 01:14 AM
Thanks mate.

What do you think?

Go to the Houston Camera Exchange at Richmond/Fountainview. Caveat: Their prices are on the higher side compared to buying it on the net plus you pay the nasty taxes to Uncle Sam ;) .

I am sure it is a typo but just to be sure you need to buy the 18-200VR or the 18-70DX and not both. Get the Nikon 70-200 in addition if it fits inside the budget.

Alternatively, you can borrow my gear for the weekend and try it out. in the meantime place the order on the net - you get a better price and no taxes. I am available on Saturday for a photoshoot as I mentioned on the voice mail. You can keep it till then if you like.

MartijnGizmo
07-12-2006, 06:18 AM
Just noticed a huge disadvantage of the 18-55 for car photography: the front element rotates, and that makes it horrible to use with a polarizer.

TopGearNL
07-12-2006, 12:58 PM
BIG BIG PROBLEM!!

Ive visited loads of different camerashops and none! none of them has the Nikon D50 or the chance of getting one. They all say that the importer in Holland stopped with them because in a couple of months the Nikon D50i is going to replace the D50. That new camera will cost about 800-900 euro's. I am still searching for my camera but no luck :cry:

Any thoughts...?

RC45
07-12-2006, 01:10 PM
eBay

MartijnGizmo
07-12-2006, 01:41 PM
BIG BIG PROBLEM!!

Ive visited loads of different camerashops and none! none of them has the Nikon D50 or the chance of getting one. They all say that the importer in Holland stopped with them because in a couple of months the Nikon D50i is going to replace the D50. That new camera will cost about 800-900 euro's. I am still searching for my camera but no luck :cry:

Any thoughts...?

Well the importer, Inca, totally stopped importing Nikon. Their crappy customer service finally got someone at Nikon thinking, so after the summer Nikon is gonna do their own importing.

Oh, and btw, a D50s sounds more reasonable to me.

I'd check out www.marktplaats.nl or www.fotoapparatuur.nl

sameerrao
07-12-2006, 01:55 PM
^^ D70s correct?

I wonder what is new with the D50i?

TopGearNL
07-12-2006, 02:12 PM
BIG BIG PROBLEM!!

Any thoughts...?

Well the importer, Inca, totally stopped importing Nikon. Their crappy customer service finally got someone at Nikon thinking, so after the summer Nikon is gonna do their own importing.

Oh, and btw, a D50s sounds more reasonable to me.

I'd check out www.marktplaats.nl or www.fotoapparatuur.nl

Sounded more reasonable to me to a S version, but thats what the guy said.

Looks to me that the normal D50 isn't and won't be supplied anymore to make room for the D50s.

Thanks for that second link Martijn!! Ill keep looking!

ae86_16v
07-12-2006, 10:02 PM
BIG BIG PROBLEM!!

Any thoughts...?

^^ D70s correct?

Like I posted in my first post: Photokina will be arriving in a few months, at the end of September. This convention happens every two years.

Nikon will replace the D70s w/ either the D80 or D90 for sure. Probably megapixel jump up to 8 or 10mps.

The D50 will be replaced w/ the D50s. It will be similar to the D50 w/ upgrades in speed and such. I suspect the D50s will continue to use the same sensor. Nice thing about Nikons is that they will probably release a new firmware to patch the old D50 up to speed w/ the new D50s much like they did with the original D70 to D70s.

sentra_dude
07-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Thanks mate.

What do you think?

So wait, you're buying an SLR :?:

What was that huge long post about:

"The guy is simply saying "talent and ability forst, equipment second".

I have taken pictures with a D70 and a $800 lense that suck and pictures with my Kodak point and shoot that are awesome."
etc, etc...

:?: I thought you were against SLRs...as a waste of money/a substitute for talent or something :? Sudden change of heart? ;)

I personally agree that talent, etc is more important than equipment, but the difference between using an SLR and a point-and-shoot is just night and day, that even if the picture quality is the same I'd pick the SLR everytime...good luck with your D70s! 8)

sentra_dude
07-12-2006, 11:31 PM
BIG BIG PROBLEM!!

Any thoughts...?

^^ D70s correct?

Like I posted in my first post: Photokina will be arriving in a few months, at the end of September. This convention happens every two years.

Nikon will replace the D70s w/ either the D80 or D90 for sure. Probably megapixel jump up to 8 or 10mps.

The D50 will be replaced w/ the D50s. It will be similar to the D50 w/ upgrades in speed and such. I suspect the D50s will continue to use the same sensor. Nice thing about Nikons is that they will probably release a new firmware to patch the old D50 up to speed w/ the new D50s much like they did with the original D70 to D70s.

How much would that firmware patch cost do you think?

ae86_16v
07-13-2006, 01:26 AM
How much would that firmware patch cost do you think?

Should be free. . .

Just like the recently released D2Xs, which was an updated on the D2X. Nikon has already committed to bringing the D2X up to spec w/ the D2Xs. Of course there might be a "few" features missing.

MartijnGizmo
07-14-2006, 05:16 AM
They did the same for the D70, all features from the D70s (except the slightly larger screen) can be had in the free firmware.

sentra_dude
07-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Cooool! Thanks. 8)

RC45
07-15-2006, 02:44 AM
Thanks mate.

What do you think?

So wait, you're buying an SLR :?:

And?

What was that huge long post about:

"The guy is simply saying "talent and ability forst, equipment second".

I have taken pictures with a D70 and a $800 lense that suck and pictures with my Kodak point and shoot that are awesome."
etc, etc...

:?: I thought you were against SLRs...as a waste of money/a substitute for talent or something :? Sudden change of heart? ;)

I never ever said I was against SLR's - ever. I simply pointed out that just because you have the best doesn't mean you will be the best, and that you don't have to have the best to do your best.

I personally agree that talent, etc is more important than equipment, but the difference between using an SLR and a point-and-shoot is just night and day, that even if the picture quality is the same I'd pick the SLR everytime...good luck with your D70s! 8)
Again - I never said anything against SLR's - I was pointing out that over-spending and over analysing or even chastising someone for being on a budget and only buying low end stuff is not a good thing.

So just because someone can only afford a Quantary lens does not automatically mean their pictures will suck.

MartijnGizmo
07-15-2006, 11:45 AM
I never ever said I was against SLR's - ever. I simply pointed out that just because you have the best doesn't mean you will be the best, and that you don't have to have the best to do your best.

Excellent statement!

Just recently I took up the challenge to create better pics than my g/f's uncle. He was using a D70 with kitlens put on automatic, I took pics with my PowerShot G5 with an external flash and using Manual. Needless to say, my pics came out a lot better and the show-off-uncle never mentioned photography to me ever since. :D

TopGearNL
07-16-2006, 10:38 AM
I got my new camera!! Finally after searching, visiting and phoning a lot of shops I got myself a D50. From a store in Rotterdam, I was luck because they only had one :shock:

I had no choice but to take the D50 that was there that was in the kit with the 18-55 mm lens. Haven't had much time lately but might take some pics tonight. I took one pic and it looked awfull, I think that might have been me and not the camera LOL

But I am happy I have it now and want to thank everyone who helped me in this topic by advising and telling me what was the best choice :!: :!:

You'll probably see me alot in this section now, since I want to know everything about taking great pics :mrgreen:

ae86_16v
07-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Don't worry about the kit lens. Yeah it is feels cheap and its cheap, but you could take some quality picture with it. Like everyone eluded to, you are the limiting factor in the camera right now, not the camera nor the lens.

The only problem I had with the 18-55mm kit lens (and this applies to the 18-70mm lens) is that it doesn't have enough reach. You could fix that later.

Enjoy the camera!!!

TopGearNL
07-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks ae86_16v!

Pictures I take inside or fine, but outside :shock: . Any tips on settings?

saadie
07-16-2006, 12:05 PM
just use it in the standard mode till you get perfect into it :P

RC45
07-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks ae86_16v!

Are you sure to keep your eyes opne when you take pictures? ;) :P

BTW - Congrats - now go out and enjoy ;)

MartijnGizmo
07-17-2006, 05:24 AM
Thanks ae86_16v!

RTFM..... ;) Just try a lot of settings and try to understand the influence of ISO, aperture and shutterspeed.

TopGearNL
07-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Trying every setting and learning more and more :mrgreen:

Thanks again!

c0wb0y007
07-17-2006, 04:00 PM
TopGearNL,

Congrats with your new camera mate. The more you shoot the better you will get. Analyse the pics you take and be hard for yourself :D 8)

The thing I did after I had bought mine, was reading the manual about the different programs which you can select on the camera.

Martijn has made a good point there, step away from shooting on AUTO. It sucks !!! I like shooting on "S", "A" and "M".

Happy snapping

Cheers

MartijnGizmo
07-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Just try and read, try and read, try and read, etc. Try to understand how a camera works. The lightmeter for example isn't some magic machine inside the camera, it just tries to make everything with the metered range 18%.

Jonh Freeman has written some excellent books about photography, that are also easy to read for a beginner. And they can be had in a Dutch translated edition!

c0wb0y007
07-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Sameerrao,

The 1.7 teleconverter in combo with the 70-200mm 2.8 VR is superb 8)

The 1.4 teleconverter doesn't have as much loss as the 1.7 of course. The reason I went for the 1.7 anyway was because, I geuss you will only use a teleconverter when there is enough light availible to take clear images. When this isn't the case you will get too much loss with the 1.4 as well and you would better shooting without one anyway :)

Although that there is a possibility that I will purchase the 1.4 as well. But the 1.7 is fine.

Cheers

TopGearNL
07-17-2006, 05:40 PM
TopGearNL,

Congrats with your new camera mate. The more you shoot the better you will get. Analyse the pics you take and be hard for yourself :D 8)

The thing I did after I had bought mine, was reading the manual about the different programs which you can select on the camera.

Martijn has made a good point there, step away from shooting on AUTO. It sucks !!! I like shooting on "S", "A" and "M".

Happy snapping

Cheers

Thanks Cowboy, that really stimulates me. Already found out that you can shoot better pics when stepping out of the AUTO mode. Will read the manual more carefully though! :wink:

What did you mostly practise on in the beginning? I can't seem to find anything to make a panning shot.

Just try and read, try and read, try and read, etc. Try to understand how a camera works. The lightmeter for example isn't some magic machine inside the camera, it just tries to make everything with the metered range 18%.

Jonh Freeman has written some excellent books about photography, that are also easy to read for a beginner. And they can be had in a Dutch translated edition!

Thanks martijn for the tip! Do you have it or do you know where I could get it?

MartijnGizmo
07-17-2006, 06:05 PM
For panning shots use the S-mode and set the shutter to 1/60-1/125.

I've got his complete serie. Got the books from Scholtens, a local *)-bookstore. Bol.com also has them: click (http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/nl/-/EUR/BOL_ParametricSearch-Start;sid=P5mlkDukFX-lsn8YNhWbp9t8psY6IySnJEc=)

sameerrao
07-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Congrats on the camera purchase .... I agree with the others on getting out of the Auto mode. You cant learn anything and it doesnt work well in all circumstances.

When I started out two months back, I used the preset shooting modes - E.g portrait, landscape, etc.

Now, I use the Aperture mode for the most part. I use the F2.8-F5 for those shots where I need to blur the background and F9-F11 for those shots where I want the whole car sharp. Make sure you are not in lowest or highest aperture of your lens to get sharper pics.

When I am in a rush, I use the preset modes to play it safe. For panning, you can use the S mode with shutter speeds of 1/100-1/250. Start with 1/250 and go down to slower shutter speeds as you get the hang of it. The slower the shutter speed, the greater the background blur effect.

TopGearNL
07-17-2006, 06:11 PM

I've got his complete serie. Got the books from Scholtens, a local *)-bookstore. Bol.com also has them: click (http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/nl/-/EUR/BOL_ParametricSearch-Start;sid=P5mlkDukFX-lsn8YNhWbp9t8psY6IySnJEc=)

Not bad his books, and the prices aren't too http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/nl/-/EUR/BOL_ParametricSearch-Start;sid=P5mlkDukFX-lsn8YNhWbp9t8psY6IySnJEc Thanks Martijn!

Bit silly, but would you know a good place or training to train on panning shots :oops: 8)

sentra_dude
07-17-2006, 06:24 PM

Not bad his books, and the prices aren't too http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/nl/-/EUR/BOL_ParametricSearch-Start;sid=P5mlkDukFX-lsn8YNhWbp9t8psY6IySnJEc Thanks Martijn!

Bit silly, but would you know a good place or training to train on panning shots :oops: 8)

First off, congrats on the new camera! 8)

When I first starting taking panning shots, I just went out to the closest road and took pics of cars passing. They don't have to be going very fast, so just a road where cars are going 20-30mph (50km/h). Start from there to get some practice, and then you can move onto more difficult shots, etc. Have fun! :D

TopGearNL
07-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Congrats on the camera purchase .... I agree with the others on getting out of the Auto mode. You cant learn anything and it doesnt work well in all circumstances.

When I started out two months back, I used the preset shooting modes - E.g portrait, landscape, etc.

Now, I use the Aperture mode for the most part. I use the F2.8-F5 for those shots where I need to blur the background and F9-F11 for those shots where I want the whole car sharp. Make sure you are not in lowest or highest aperture of your lens to get sharper pics.

When I am in a rush, I use the preset modes to play it safe. For panning, you can use the S mode with shutter speeds of 1/100-1/250. Start with 1/250 and go down to slower shutter speeds as you get the hang of it. The slower the shutter speed, the greater the background blur effect.

Thanks, all of your guys tips and figures really help me alot :!: :wink:

First off, congrats on the new camera! Cool

When I first starting taking panning shots, I just went out to the closest road and took pics of cars passing. They don't have to be going very fast, so just a road where cars are going 20-30mph (50km/h). Start from there to get some practice, and then you can move onto more difficult shots, etc. Have fun! Very Happy

Might do that tomorrow, Ill see what comes out of it, Thanks! :)

MartijnGizmo
07-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Another option to try panning is a parkinglot along the highway. :) But everything that moves will do fine, I also practiced on bicycle driving outside my house. :D

ae86_16v
07-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Agreed. Since I am still relatively new (6 months) with SLRs, I am still trying to understand most of the functions. Right now I am using mostly the pre-set program modes. I am also experimenting with A - Mode, Aperture Priority. That seems to work out pretty well.

I have used full Manual one time, and that was a bit overwhelming ;) . Pretty much none of the pictures turn out at all :( .

Anyways, read the manual a few times, try to understand as much as you can. Go out and play around with the settings, then come back and read it again.

Like they said, practice makes perfect :) .