PDA

View Full Version : Honda NSX

System
07-03-2006, 10:23 AM
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/14/hondansx9ib.th.jpg (http://img46.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hondansx9ib.jpg)

Shinigami
07-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Wish there was an "It's ok" option... would fit this car better then cool or uncool... But seeing as it was quite good back in the days and a little underestimated, I'll give it "cool".

RF1
07-03-2006, 01:03 PM
One of the best!!

:D
really cool

TopGearNL
07-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Cool for me, not out of Italy for once and Ayrton Senna helped developing it 8)

ae86_16v
07-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Definitely one of the best cars ever made. It made everyone stand up and take notice of a Japanese supercar. Yes it didn't have the flare or the style of Italians or Germans, but nevertheless the technology in this car is undeniable.

First car to have an all aluminium frame, first to have VTEC, and developed by Aryton Senna definitely added to its cause.

Even today, this car will not get embarrassed on the track. It is a shame that Honda just let it die away without an replacement.

chest3r
07-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Cool!

I agree with everything 30cm_penis ( a.k.a. dani_d_mas ) said.

saadie
07-03-2006, 06:11 PM
I somehow enver liked this car ..
and since there is no neuteral vote .....
i think i'll have to go for cool ...

GRiP_DRiVER
07-03-2006, 06:39 PM
I put it up for subzero. One of my favorite cars ever. Just watching it kill cars with twice the power and cost. I love how simple it is. It's a drivers car. Not a robot.

T-Bird
07-03-2006, 07:46 PM
I'll say cool just because I know exactly what this car is capable of and what it isn't. No there is no bias in my Vote.

TNT
07-03-2006, 09:39 PM
cool, if the support would of been there from the public then i would of been subzero, meaning more backing from the company if the public liked it a lot. still one of the best super sport cars ever made.

ae86_16v
07-04-2006, 05:35 PM
I'll say cool just because I know exactly what this car is capable of and what it isn't. No there is no bias in my Vote.

Please elaborate.

sentra_dude
07-04-2006, 10:53 PM
I am pretty stingy with my subzero votes, but this got the vote without hesitation. 8) One of my favorite, favorite cars ever.

It rewrote the rules on supercars, looks great, has handling tunned by the great Senna, absolutely wonderful engine, not a common sight, practical...and put Japan on the map for very serious sports-cars, finally! 8) Beyond subzero for me. 8)

I only wish they'd for sure confirm the new NSX, and put that very promising looking Mugen 4.0L V8 in it!

http://i6.tinypic.com/1z1fvdc.jpg

T-Bird
07-04-2006, 11:07 PM

Please elaborate.

Well I've had a go in quite a few NSX's now from bone stock to fully modded so I know what they are capable of producing. They handle like stink but stop worth shit they are twitchy on the edge but with more rubber on the ground and a better suspension the car is perfect. I may be getting to experience one on the track very soon if all goes alright.

Daggernite
07-05-2006, 02:06 AM
This car is just above the sub-zero level in my opinion. Can beat most supercar with only 280bhp? now thats special. Looks friggin great too, one great engine that even though is de tuned alot still has what it takes play with the best even in a straight line. Its ashame it does'nt sell well, maybe thats because snobby driver will always prefere a ferrari badge over a honda badge, regardless of what there getting.

taygunho
07-05-2006, 01:14 PM
I agreed with Dani. Cool for me too.

sameerrao
07-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Cool car! It would have been a near sub-zero for me if this poll was conducted in 1990. This car like the Lexus LS400 shook the establishment when it first came out. It made the Ferrari 348 and Porsche 964 seem very primitive by comparison.

It was perhaps the first all-aluminium supercar with chassis tuning by Ayrton Senna himself. I think the NSX was a fabulous looking as well - it still turns heads today - partly because of its exotic shape and also because of its relative rarity.

I've driven a friends 1992 NSX a few years back. It was the first gen car w/o power steering. The car was a bit heavy to manouevre at parking speeds but the steering was pin sharp once you got to normal road speeds. The shifter was faster and smoother than anything I have ever driven till date.

History hasnt looked too kindly to NSXs. Given the choice of a 1990 NSX, the Ferrari 348 or the Porsche 911 enthusiasts will lather over the last two cars and ignore the poor NSX.

The NSX was a phenomenal car that had only one thing wrong with it - the Honda badge. It was perhaps a bit too easy to drive and live with on a day to day basis. Lot of people got bored with it as it was missing that fear factor and exoticness.

Honda was also to blame for not sufficiently updating the NSX over the years. The 1990 car had a similar power to weight ratio of a 348 then. But the last gen NSX got a paltry 20hp increase while a Modena was 100hp more powerful with significant aero improvements over the year.

DeMoN
07-06-2006, 02:37 AM
it was cool once, not anymore. Only oldies drive it. Too bad.

DeMoN
07-06-2006, 12:56 PM
I always asked myself, why is it that they didnt make it faster? I mean, I heard there was some sort of HP or displacement restriction... anyone know why?

T-Bird
07-06-2006, 08:52 PM
well the HP limit has to be over since you just have to look at Nissan and the VQ35 motors rated at 300+ and Honda having 300+hp engines coming for 07...

spanky
07-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Cool Car. 8)

I'd forgotten just how long ago it first came out!

Global Warming
07-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Uncool. Honda needed a V8 or turbo V6 in this car from the beginning. Plus they actually sold a lot of these with auto transmissions! Uncool. And the fact that they had to make the engine a “hand built all aluminum engines” that raised to price by probably 15k. Wake up Honda, no one cared that it was hand built! Just put a mass produced V8 in it!! Oh wait you still don’t have one…

5.7 V10
10-05-2006, 11:23 PM
I know many who hate the NSX, but I could never seen why, sure it never had as much power as similarly priced vehicles but ask what EVO thinks of that, ask Gordon Murray what he thinks of that. Neither could care because as they’ve said the NSX is fabulously entertaining and addictive. I remember first seeing an NSX back in about 1995 and thinking this is a bloody masterpiece, a masterpiece which will never age. I’m going to stick by that because every time I see one I’m mesmerized by it; not quite as much as a Porsche 993, but I can still look at it’s for several minutes. I always loved the exterior design; loved that short point front end, bubble canopy and wide rear end with the unique light bar. In fact this is the car that drew me towards the Pagani Zonda; if you pay close attention you’ll notice the cars both share that short front, bubble canopy and long wide rear with spoiler. I’ve always loved the interior too; the quality superb and while some found the interior characterless I disagree. The quality of the cabin is completely upscale with a neat slanted console which I believe Porsche looked to when creating the Carrera GT. While most manufactures would never admit it I believe this car was an inspiration for many great supercar vehicles; the NSX always created the perfect image of blending both luxury abilities with true sports car capabilities. As time passed I felt as others did, the 3.2 litre V6 was pulling conservative power figures as well as performance figures. The 2002 model V6 allowed the NSX to hit an indicated 0-60 in 4.8 seconds and top 175mph and while that was fast it wasn’t quite as fast as its competition. It’s aluminium body and hand built operations meant it was always expensive and in 2002 cars such as the Chevrolet Corvette sported a full 400bhp, the Porsche 996 had 316 and by the time 2004 arrived Porsche had a 355bhp 997 Carrera S. The NSX wasn’t always the best straight line performer, but when it can go around the Nürburgring in 8:09 the same time as a Ferrari 360 Modena, I think it deserves true respect. Might i add in the modern times the NSX-R's time i still up there with the Porsche 997 Carrera S, V8 Vantage and Corvette C6. I have no second thoughts, the NSX is a legend, in fact I’d be forced to name it one of the 10 best vehicles of all time; the looks are near timeless; the interior well designed; the reliability on mid to late models unbelievably amazing and the engine fabulous.

Verdict: Subzero

sentra_dude
10-06-2006, 01:09 AM
I know many who hate the NSX, but I could never seen why, sure it never had as much power as similarly priced vehicles but ask what EVO thinks of that, ask Gordon Murray what he thinks of that. Neither could care because as they’ve said the NSX is fabulously entertaining and addictive. I remember first seeing an NSX back in about 1995 and thinking this is a bloody masterpiece, a masterpiece which will never age. I’m going to stick by that because every time I see one I’m mesmerized by it; not quite as much as a Porsche 993, but I can still look at it’s for several minutes. I always loved the exterior design; loved that short point front end, bubble canopy and wide rear end with the unique light bar. In fact this is the car that drew me towards the Pagani Zonda; if you pay close attention you’ll notice the cars both share that short front, bubble canopy and long wide rear with spoiler. I’ve always loved the interior too; the quality superb and while some found the interior characterless I disagree. The quality of the cabin is completely upscale with a neat slanted console which I believe Porsche looked to when creating the Carrera GT. While most manufactures would never admit it I believe this car was an inspiration for many great supercar vehicles; the NSX always created the perfect image of blending both luxury abilities with true sports car capabilities. As time passed I felt as others did, the 3.2 litre V6 was pulling conservative power figures as well as performance figures. The 2002 model V6 allowed the NSX to hit an indicated 0-60 in 4.8 seconds and top 175mph and while that was fast it wasn’t quite as fast as its competition. It’s aluminium body and hand built operations meant it was always expensive and in 2002 cars such as the Chevrolet Corvette sported a full 400bhp, the Porsche 996 had 316 and by the time 2004 arrived Porsche had a 355bhp 997 Carrera S. The NSX wasn’t always the best straight line performer, but when it can go around the Nürburgring in 8:09 the same time as a Ferrari 360 Modena, I think it deserves true respect. Might i add in the modern times the NSX-R's time i still up there with the Porsche 997 Carrera S, V8 Vantage and Corvette C6. I have no second thoughts, the NSX is a legend, in fact I’d be forced to name it one of the 10 best vehicles of all time; the looks are near timeless; the interior well designed; the reliability on mid to late models unbelievably amazing and the engine fabulous.

Verdict: Subzero

Great post! 8)

JoeHahn
10-06-2006, 01:15 AM
Some of the worst brakes on a sportscar - ever. Added to the fact that its all aluminium build weighed in at about that of a steel based 911 makes it a terrible example of aluminium use, not to mention the price of the thing. People complain about VW making expensive cars - Honda thought they'd get away with pricing this thing higher than the competition, no wonder it died. Uncool

Mattk
10-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Cool. Very cool, but not quite subzero. It has a good vibe, but it just doesn't have the spark that ignites absolute desirability.

fabro_s
10-06-2006, 02:15 AM
Subzero!!! This car still captures all my attention after 16 years, and that deserves respect, having 280 hp and capable of beatinf ferraris and porsches!!!

Erez
10-06-2006, 02:34 AM
very cool 8)

sentra_dude
10-07-2006, 02:22 AM
Some of the worst brakes on a sportscar - ever. Added to the fact that its all aluminium build weighed in at about that of a steel based 911 makes it a terrible example of aluminium use, not to mention the price of the thing. People complain about VW making expensive cars - Honda thought they'd get away with pricing this thing higher than the competition, no wonder it died. Uncool

Since when has the NSX had terrible brakes? They may not be the best out there, but they certainly aren't 'some of the worst brakes on a sportscar - ever."

From the last Road & Track test:
60mph-0 in 117ft
80mph-0 in 215ft

As compared to a F430
60mph-0 in 113ft
80mph-0 in 192ft

And the brand-new DB9:
60mph-0 in 133ft
80mph-0 in 231ft

Many sports-cars out there have brakes much worse than an NSX's.

JoeHahn
10-07-2006, 06:20 AM

Since when has the NSX had terrible brakes? They may not be the best out there, but they certainly aren't 'some of the worst brakes on a sportscar - ever."

From the last Road & Track test:
60mph-0 in 117ft
80mph-0 in 215ft

As compared to a F430
60mph-0 in 113ft
80mph-0 in 192ft

And the brand-new DB9:
60mph-0 in 133ft
80mph-0 in 231ft

Many sports-cars out there have brakes much worse than an NSX's.

Yeah, try after 3, 10 however many stops you like - the NSX brakes catch fire quicker than a barbeque. They are terrible and I've yet to see worse since its release (of a true sportscar). I remember a comparison between a 993 4S and it beat the 4S in the first 2 stops and then after that the stops were so violently ill that the brakes did in fact catch on fire. This car is as exciting as a mullet. Uncool :roll:

Mattk
10-07-2006, 08:34 AM
^Brakes can't catch on fire when the car is standing still. Coolness is determined by how the car looks, not how it operates.

JoeHahn
10-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Yeah well the car doesnt catch my pants on fire when its standing still - so it doesnt matter. How cars operate makes them cool to me - other wise you may aswell pose in a 'slick civic 'yo'

T-Bird
10-08-2006, 03:12 PM
never once have I heard of NSX brakes catching on fire. the only track problems I've heard of are that the "economical" cats like to collapse in on themselves after to much prolonged abuse. I have beat the crapout of a few NSX's before and have never experienced brake fade granted the new Brembos on the '07 TL type-S feel much better the NSX brakes are still more than enough for the car.

Vansquish
10-08-2006, 09:12 PM
This car is subzero. Not necessarily for its performance (which is good, but not fantastic), nor for it's everyday useability and reliability (not necessarily a cool characteristic), but for the people who were intimately involved with its design.

Any car with the genius of Ayrton Senna behind its abilities is a subzero-cool vehicle in my book.

stmoritzer
11-28-2006, 10:11 AM
not a fan of rice :bah:
the car is ok, but not cool

T-Bird
11-29-2006, 12:16 AM
not a fan of rice :bah:
the car is ok, but not cool

how is the car rice? please explain this to me...

Mattk
11-29-2006, 01:38 AM
Yeah, how is this rice? Are you sure you haven't mistaken this with the Honda CRX?

toffytofik
02-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Honda NSX, more specificly - NSX-R (aka Type-R) no doubt about it - subzero.

Obviously not everyone here understand the true worth of this car, so let me add my 2c.

Apart from Senna there were another two F1 drivers involved in testing and development of this car - S.Nakajima and B. Rahal. Their effort was critical in making the car as it is now.

Being lightweight, mid-engined rwd car with ultra-rigid, ultra-light aluminum monocoque chassis, wide wheel base, advanced aerodynamics, low CoG and great weight destribution, Honda NSX-R is the pure example of what a real sportscar should be. It's NA 3 litre V6 engine is the high revving one (so quick response and flat power curve as the result) coupled with the 6 speed manual gearbox with short gear ratios - all together makes it perfect for circuit racing, - that's what NSX was meant to be, and that's what it's all about. The weak point of the car is the JDM stricted power output and brakes which seem to perform poorly but only when braking hard to standstill otherwise they aren't an issue.

Those of you who watch Best Motoring should have a good image of this car's capabilities. "Cornering machine" - that's how all of the racers who appear in BM call the NSX. Now really, it's cornering perfomance is really impressive. It goes around the corners faster than, well, basicly anything. Hell, it even laps Tsukuba a tad faster than 911 GT3 and last-gen 911 Turbo (Tiptronic S ver). It stays competitive against the modern supercars which have twice as much power.

Here're some vids with NSX-R competing against some supercars.

Motegi battle, Part 1:
YouTube

Motegi battle, Part 2:
YouTube

Motegi battle, Part 3:
YouTube

Too bad Honda haven't competed with NSX much anywhere apart from Japan. It entered LeMans two or three times, the best result was the 1st place in GT2 class - but that's it. As for Japan, NSXs are now dominating Super GT championship and ARTA NSX (http://ebay.windingroad.com/newsuploads/2007/04/arta-honda-nsx-2007-super-g.jpg) is the current champion.

enzoferrari
02-13-2008, 04:25 PM
very Cool,faster than a lot of more powerfull cars today.

CMonakar
02-13-2008, 09:48 PM
I have mixed feelings about this car.
-The 1990 model in red with the black roof was very forward thinking -it looks modern by today's standards. The Targa with body colored forward raked b-pillars was a big step in the wrong direction in terms of style and chassis stiffness.
-It's not the fastest car around the track or in a straight line by a long shot. The 1999 RX7 Type-RS ate it for lunch and costs a lot less. The J-GTC car doesn't have much in common with the production car -different gearbox, engine orientation, displacement, construction. It's fast, but it's a different car . . .
-There is a lot of wheel well intrusion into the pedal box. For me this completely spoils the driving position. It's a shame because otherwise it is very good.
-The interior has the ambiance of a Honda CRX. Great design, but the panels and materials feel like they came out of a machine rather than a workshop. That said, the seats are some of the coolest looking seats ever fitted to a car. The way they connected the upper and lower cushions together with accordion leather boots and the side mounted controls make them look like something straight out of Star Wars.
-The engine is kind of gutless, but sounds fantastic.
-The fact that it has a trunk is great, but given how slow it is I expect a bigger one and a set of back seats.
-Body work is expensive, insurance is expensive, mistakes at the track will be expensive.
-The drive by wire throttle is a neat feature and ground breaking at the time.
-The electric power steering system is still used as a bench mark today.

Overall a very nice car. The 1990-92 model might be subzero, but the late 90s models lagged pretty far behind the competition in terms of the cost/performance/practicality.

BloodyPenguin
02-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Subzero. Love its old school interior too! 8-)