PDA

View Full Version : Vandalized Speed Cameras in the UK

dutchmasterflex
06-09-2006, 09:31 AM
http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm

Long list of burnt and smashed up speed cameras..

This is a pretty good idea for getting back at your local Government ;)

I keep wondering if it would be better to have speed cameras or state troopers on the highway's here in the States. One reason is that the state troopers usually fuck with you even more than a camera would..

MartijnGizmo
06-09-2006, 09:54 AM
This is a pretty good idea for getting back at your local Government ;)

Well, the new camera is paid from your own money, so I think it's useless. You could however deactivate them without destroying them, for example by putting a carbagebag over it. :)

dutchmasterflex
06-09-2006, 10:19 AM
They're going to take your money anyway ;)

cooperluke
06-09-2006, 10:39 AM
I think the bag would be much better...

There is no need to destroy public material. And it's against the lawe also.

A plastic supermaket bag is a thing that "could normally slip and fly" to the camera... :D

Daggernite
06-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Im not sure where I heard this, but i heard of a guy who once got court by a speed camra. He arrived back 15mins later and supposidly smashed it to pieces with a baseball bat and took the film out.

So thats one way to avoid been fined I guess.

dutchmasterflex
06-09-2006, 01:43 PM
^^ Are you kidding me? Think about all the middle/highschool kids with nothing better to do..

graywolf624
06-09-2006, 01:53 PM
wondering if it would be better to have speed cameras or state troopers on the highway's here in the States
I seriously doubt speed cameras with actual points attached will happen in the US. if my local city is any indication they don't pass legally.

*To give some background my state had to make red light cameras a purely civil thing (aka they can only take money not points) as it wouldnt hold up in court otherwise.

Zonda_Fangio
06-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Didn't someone on Top Gear say that you can take plastic foil and wrap it around the cameras so the pictures come out all blurry and when people go out to the camera they can't see anything wrong with them?

dutchmasterflex
06-09-2006, 02:02 PM
wondering if it would be better to have speed cameras or state troopers on the highway's here in the States
I seriously doubt speed cameras with actual points attached will happen in the US. if my local city is any indication they don't pass legally.

*To give some background my state had to make red light cameras a purely civil thing (aka they can only take money not points) as it wouldnt hold up in court otherwise.

I didn't even think about that.. Not that I'm promoting speed cameras but I would feel a lot better if they did only fine you and not affect your license.

I'm just sick of troopers getting off on their power and giving you extra bullshit to deal with..

ZfrkS62
06-09-2006, 05:06 PM
A plastic supermaket bag is a thing that "could normally slip and fly" to the camera...

and simultaneously get wrapped in stray duct tape :D

Max Power
06-09-2006, 05:11 PM
haha, I thought there was just the 1 page...but there's 4 :lol:

RC45
06-09-2006, 05:17 PM
pretty amazing to see that. i dont think this woudl happen in america... people dont have the balls to commit acts like that i think.

This from a guy living in the murder capital of the world :P

nthfinity
06-09-2006, 05:47 PM
pretty amazing to see that. i dont think this woudl happen in america... people dont have the balls to commit acts like that i think.

it isn't Detroit this year?

coloradosilver
06-09-2006, 06:04 PM

it isn't Detroit this year?

Per capita I thought Washington DC was pretty high up on that list too.

black_magician
06-09-2006, 06:04 PM
why not use one of these?

http://www.phantomplate.com/

then, instead of destroying every camera in your path, you'll be protected no matter where you are.

coloradosilver
06-09-2006, 06:08 PM

then, instead of destroying every camera in your path, you'll be protected no matter where you are.

I'm pretty skeptical about those things. I haven't heard of anyone that has actually used one and not gotten a ticket because of it.

It would seem that if the camera is at the same height as the plate (as they are on the tollways around me) and you get about 100 ft out when the picture is snapped there would not be enough angle to bloc the photo.

gucom
06-09-2006, 06:35 PM
rather unimaginary dont u think, all they ever seem to do to them is set fire to the things :wink:

the top gear trick is to wrap translucent foil around the camera so they dont see on their screen it's broken, but once it takes a pic + flash, the pic comes out blurry. i dont think any1's actually watching any kind of "live" footage from those cameras though, so i dont really see the advantage of destroying them...

btw im not opposed to speed cameras all that much, as long as they're placed in sensible places where speeding would create dangerous situations...

666fast
06-09-2006, 06:40 PM

Same thing here. Untill a judge ruled them unconstitutional and had them turned off. HA!

black_magician
06-09-2006, 07:10 PM

I'm pretty skeptical about those things. I haven't heard of anyone that has actually used one and not gotten a ticket because of it.

It would seem that if the camera is at the same height as the plate (as they are on the tollways around me) and you get about 100 ft out when the picture is snapped there would not be enough angle to bloc the photo.

I acually found a 360 with what I think was the spray on its plates. I couldn't tell from just looking at it , but after I shot some pics I noticed that the plate was completely unreadable. I was only about 4 ft from the car, I don't know how it would work from farther away.

I'll try and find that pic.

EDIT: found it.

http://i6.tinypic.com/126a5ic.jpg

coloradosilver
06-09-2006, 07:13 PM
How did you know that it had the spray? Did the owner tell you? Or was it just that you couldn't read them after you took your pictures? I'm still curious about this stuff.

black_magician
06-09-2006, 08:25 PM
I couldn't read them after I took the pictures. that's the ONLY car I've ever had that happen on. It's just a hypothesis though. I know I should've asked the owner, but he was "busy" on his cell phone.

I'm still a little curious too. what if it's during the day and there's no flash from the camera? It also probably rubs off and needs to be reapplied every month or so.

I don't use it since there's no cameras around here :wink:

Toronto
06-09-2006, 08:55 PM
wounder if JC knows about this site...

Mattk
06-09-2006, 11:03 PM
Why are red-light cameras unconstitutional? If you're an idiot and you run a red light, fien the bugger and take points off his/her licence. Who gives a shit (except for the red light runners)?

Speed camera locations are conveniently advertised in my state. I think it has something to do with the legal issue of foreseeability, but I'm not sure. In any case, it's not a bad plan, because at least you know to slow down when you come up to the cameras (which are located in accodent-prone areas). However, a lot of cops place themselves in hilly areas to catch people coming down hills, and set themselves up at 5am, when few people drive, and those who do, speed because no-one's around. This is just revenue raising, and is not conducive to a safe driving environment.