PDA

View Full Version : Where'd you come from? (music you've grown out of)

ZfrkS62
05-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Pretty much what the title states. Trace back from where you are now musically, to where you started. How did you arrive at the point you are at right now? What triggered your transitions? What bands, if any, do you still listen to from back then?

Think of it as your musical family tree :D

For me, up until i was about 11 or 12, i listened to country just because it's what my parents always had on the radio then. I thought it was the greatest thing ever. But then i heard a couple classmates talking about who was better. Green Day or Nirvana. I remember one of them arguing that Nirvana seemed to have more thought and composure to their songs along with better lyrics whereas Green Day seemed to be stuck on 3 chords. Keep in mind, this was about 1994, and Green Day was just coming out with Dookie, and Nirvana was about to put out In Utero. A few months later, Kurt would be dead, but i wouldn't know until over a year later. I asked what station was playing these bands, and after getting a very strange look from both of them, i went home that night and changed my radio from the country station, to 107.7. Seattle's Alternative station.

That night i heard Green Day's 2000 Light Years Away, and was blown away. I would continue to listen to that station from that point on. Kerplunk was the first Rock album i got. Of course being 11 years old, i didn't have a CD player, so it was on cassette, but listened to it constantly. Once i started listening to rock, i remember i started paying attention to what my cousin was listening to in his RX-7. Metallica. But it wouldn't be until i got my license, 5 years later, that i would pick up The Black Album and start getting drawn into Metal. Of course bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit began my transition from the Grunge/Alternative to Metal.

It was Korn's radio debut, Blind, that caught my attention. This was amid the onslaught of Depeche Mode, Better than Ezra, Soundgarden and the like, so i was somewhat torn as to what i liked, and it wasn't until i heard Counterfeit and Faith, that i started turning to the harder stuff, where i would be stuck on until i moved to Arizona. Up through high school i depended on the radio for leads on new music. In 9th grade, Prodigy started grabbing attention with the lead track on their Fat of the Land album, Smack My Bitch Up. But it was Firestarter and Breathe that really got my attention. That year i would start wrestling, and taking note of AC/DC and Pantera since that's what my team mates would listen to before the matches. I think one of the last bands to grab my attention, and catalyze my transition into Metal was Rammstein. This was about 1998
and Du Hast was beginning to burn up MTV. In 2001 i would attend the Pledge of Allegience tour with System of a Down, Mudvayne and Rammstein. These were the last new bands i would follow until i moved to Arizona.

Once in the Valley of the Sun, i began getting fed up with the crap the radio was starting to spew out. Jimmy Eat World, Taproot, Trapt. All the formulaic, manufactured angst that rules the waves today.

My best friend would move in with me at the end of 2003 and expose me to CKY, HIM, Dimmu Borgir, Turbonegro and others. I got hooked on CKY and HIM, but i wasn't ready for the Death Metal, or thrashcore/screamo stuff he was listening to 24/7.

Once i moved to Louisiana, and realized the radio stations were about 10 years behind the rest of the nation and had all of 10 songs for their whole days playlist, i began accepting the inevitable. Green Day was dead to me, thanks to American Idiot and Blvd. of Broken Dreams being played every half hour, my anchor to punk broke.

By now i had every Metallica album, with the exception of St. Anger, and they were dominating my CD player along with HIM. But it was getting old fast. So, i decided to find something new. I had heard Killswitch Engage and In Flames, but i was also staring down Cradle of Filth. I knew who COF was, thanks to MTV-X playing Her Ghost In the Fog, but i really couldn't place any lyrics, so i bit the bullet and bought Nymphetamine.

That was that. I was hooked on my newest chapter to my musical defenition. I still listen to Green Day occasionaly but they aren't one of my favorites anymore. I think of all the bands i started out with, TOOL, is really the only one from back when i started listening to rock, that i still follow. But overall, i've left my older influences behind. It's kind of strange to look back over the bands i idolized and memorized lyricsand have tried to play on my instruments, and to think of where i am now. But i don't think i'd change anything.

666fast
05-27-2006, 09:48 PM
my anchor to punk broke.

Thats because you've been listening to Green Day. I myself have grown tired of them as well. There are a lot of punk bands ou there to listen too and many of them rock, go here http://www.epitaph.com/ and start watching videos and listening to the free music. Lots and lots of good bands on that label.
Make sure to check out these bands, as I think they rule:
Unseen
From First to Last
Death By Stereo
The Distillers
Matchbook Romance
Millencolin
Pennywise
Motion City Soundtrack
NoFX
Tiger Army

On the hiphop side of things (who said hiphop couldn't be punk?)
Atmosphere (Minneapolis Represent!!!)
Eyedea and Abilities (St. Paul represent!!)
Danger Doom
Blackalicious
Sage Francis

As far as where I "come" from musically. Well, I'll listen to just about anything. But the first time I really got into music was when Beastie Boys Ill Communication came out. I think I was in 6th or 7th grade at the time. that lead to uite a bit more hiphop.
Then one of my friends told me to check out Pennywise. I've been hooked on them since.
I haven't really moved on, as I still listen to many of the bands I did years ago. I've just added a lot more bands and types of music I listen too, but I still mainly listen to punk.
Here are the latest CD's I've picked up:
Matisyahu- Youth
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Show your Bones
Sublime- 40oz o Freedom (it's the billionth time I've bought it, it keeps disappearing)
Atmosphere- Sevens Travels
Motion City Soundtrack- I am the Movie

So there you go, they don't all fit into one category, but they all rock.

BTW, I can't wait for the new AFI album.

EDIT- cause I kant tipe good

ZfrkS62
05-28-2006, 12:31 AM
I've got some Rancid, MXPX, Sex Pistols and Bad Religion. Plus the SLC Punk soundtrack which has some good songs on it as well, but for me, Punk just isn't cutting it anymore. The energy can be good, but i like the sustained energy of Metal. The solos are something that most punk lacks, and if a song has a solo, it's more of an interlude than anything.

Sure i still pull it out everynow and then, but i just prefer Metal anymore :bah:

And Epitaph does have some good bands on it.

666fast
05-28-2006, 01:11 AM
The energy can be good, but i like the sustained energy of Metal.

Death By Stereo 0X

Fleischmann
05-28-2006, 02:56 AM
For a long time I wasn't interested in music. My ears were immune to the music my brother would play on the hifi, generally some boy bands and techno. But then at the age of 13 my brother brought home Limp Bizkit's first album. I could listen to it 24/7. That was when I started to listen to slightly aggressive music. I never really enjoyed school disco's, somehow the techno beats didn't lure me into dancing. I prefered listening to Deftones, POD adn Bloodhound Gang. A year or two later I was over at a friends house with a few people and MTV was on. That's the first first time I hear a SlipKnoT song. My feiends thought it sucked but I loved it. That's when it started for me. I listened to KoRn at first, then some simple hardcore like Hatebreed, but I soon got bored of the monotonny, nowI'm a trash metal fan :D

racer_f50
05-28-2006, 03:17 AM
In elementary school, up to maybe age 10, I was mostly into pop music, such as Michael Jackson and Boys 2 Men, and even some Fresh Prince here and there. My mom listened to rock, though, so I did like Def Lepard, Aerosmith, and AC/DC.

Thankfully around 10, one of my friends introduced me to Metallica (the black album) and Offspring (Smash), and from there I ditched pop music.

Gradually I got into more rock bands (in both metal and punk, never got into ska). Probably from age 12 - 16 I listened to a lot of punk, ranging from Blink182 and Offspring to less main-stream stuff such as The Lunachicks and Electric Frankenstein (I still listen to those 4, actually, just not as much and never buy anythign new).

This whole time I was also increasing my collection of hard rock/metal, though, which eventually led to my current distaste for punk. The talent involved in making metal just struck me as thousands of times greater than some pot-head teens randomly strumming a guitar and rapidly hitting drums with no apparent rythmn.

I also went through a phase of listening to gansta rap, thanks to my friend Jimmy who I skated with. Dr. Dre, Easy-E, NWA, Snoop Dogg, Sir Mix-a-lot (not really gansta rap 90% of the time)...then eventually to Eminem and 50 cent. I'll still listen to this stuff occassionally when I need a change of pace.

Currently I'd say metal and industrial are my genres of choice. I've got every Metallica, Marilyn Manson, and Cannibal Corpse album, nearly every Anthrax CD, a few Guns & Roses, Otep, Killswitch Engage, Korn, Nightwish, Orgy, KMFDM, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Deicide, Amon Amarth, Shadows Fall, and so on.....

antonioledesma
05-28-2006, 09:43 PM
my dad has always listened to heavy metal, rock, led, black sabbath, queen, metallica, pink floyd, etc

so it was almost natural to like almost all that music :D

MIHALS
05-28-2006, 10:45 PM
I was growing up in Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd, Sting and Deep Purple (as I remember) music as my dad was listening these a lot. I still like to listen to some queen, beatles and "child in time" from Deep Purple is still for me THE SONG :D . then in 1989 Vanilla Ice came up with his song and since then he's my favourite. he changed style few times, was working with KoRn and Bloodhound Gang, so I started to listen to Bloodhound Gang first, then my brother came home with KoRn and System of a Down and that is now my favourite rock music together with some "Too Cold", "Exhale", "MudMonster" etc from V-Ice which could be really easily compared to those hardest songs from KoRn and SOAD :twisted: . but I can't forget to mention my long time relationship with hip hop like RUN D.M.C., Ice Cube, Dr.Dre, Outkast, Cypress Hill, Busta Rhymes, Redman and Methodman, Lil jon... there also was (ofcourse) Eminem and 50 Cent, but these 2 guys are the ONLY ones I rather stopped listen to them (and now I hate their music), cos I really don't like commercial sh*t :roll:

but these days it's mostly rock music, what is beeing refreshed mostly in my ipod :D

nthfinity
05-29-2006, 09:20 AM
christian rock in the late 80's .....Rap in the early 90's (run dmc, humpty dumpty, hammer, Ice T etc.)

whatever was on the pop radio stations from the mid 90's (i wont mention bands :oops: )

Country music reigned supream until 1997

then i discovered Led Zeppelin in 1997

they changed my life (music wise) they are still my favorite, and most listened to band... Iron Maiden, and Metallica are right there as well.... but not quite.

there is just too much to go into in depth... but i had a brief stint of techno while it was booming in Detroit in 99/2000

although, i listen to flamenco, classical, true rock, true metal, old blues, new blues, real Jazz, well, a whole lot :)

TNT
05-29-2006, 11:23 AM
my family was country, garth brooks etc. but i raised up on metal and punk.

ARMAN
05-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Michael Jackson(Thriller and Bad album, then the others)-> The Cure(many albums)-> Metal(Judas Priest - Painkiller album only at that time)-> Death Metal(Cannībal Corpse, Death, Dismember, Carcass etc)-> Rap/HipHop(Dre, Snoop, Missy Elliot, Foxy Brown, JayZ).... and now everything of all :D

Garretts_turbo
06-01-2006, 03:10 AM
up until about 12 or 13 i listened to whatever was on the radio; it didnt make any difference...
then a brief stint of country music (thank god thats over)
after that, i started getting into some alternative (bush, 311, white zombie, STP, samshing pupkins)
at about age 18 through the present, i've been into a lot of classic rock, metal, hardcore, techno, and prog.
i look back at most of my musical history and thank god that its in the past hahaha