PDA

View Full Version : Color formats Adobe RGB/ sRGB etc.

nthfinity
04-13-2006, 11:35 PM
there seems to be a couple options; and i'm wondering if there is any benefit to either; whether its better to use adobe RGB is better because of photoshop, or not...

(i've been playing more with raw images, and WOW, i can hardly believe the difference in color control!)

MartijnGizmo
04-14-2006, 04:42 AM
AdobeRGB contains more info, especialy on the greens:

http://www.jbs-blog.com/images/misc/RGB%20Colorspace.jpg

But it's useless on the internet, as only Mac's Safari supports colorprofiles. All other people will see an image with less info, looking a bit dull/contrastless.

nthfinity
04-14-2006, 09:09 AM
thanks martin :) would you say then, that Adobe RGB would be more appropriate with RAW files that will get printed?

c0wb0y007
04-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi,

Interesting topic this is, have been reading about it myself.

Lots of professionals find the sRGB modes a bit too saturated, the Adobe-RGB reproduces a wider gamut of colours.

When it comes to printing, the sYCC colour space provides better print quality with jpegs.

The Adobe-RGB is in general the better mode :)

There is big difference in colour modes when you look DSLRs, the sRGB mode isn't always the same. It depends on the software parameters. The difference is the following one; The whole top range of the professional bodies have a more genuine colour reproduction than the none-pro bodies. The none pro bodies have more creative reproduction. The difference is that the creative colour reproduction differs from the memory colour reproduction that the pro bodies produce. But that's all matter of software; parameters. It isn't that much of a problem, or there isn't really anything wrong with the creative colour reproduction. The only thing that can show you a true difference is when you compare portraits. The difference comes clear when it comes to the reproduction of skin colours. They call this memory colour, it are the colours that we are used to see our whole life, the colour reproduction of skin colours are a very sensible thing. It may sound strange but the fact is that when you buy a camera in Asia and another one in Europe/USA, you end up with same body of course but the parameters of the software of the colour reproduction differs.

Shooting RAW and in Adobe-RGB mode gives you the best of both worlds 8)

Cheers

ae86_16v
04-14-2006, 07:59 PM
On my D50 I use the default Mode IIIa which is sRGB I believe. It is suppose to give you the most "vivid" colors. But like Cowboy said, it'll differ from manufacture to manufacture.

On the D50, the color and landscapes jumps out at you. And personally as an amateur I like the vivid colors.

nthfinity
04-14-2006, 09:48 PM
tomarrow, once i start editing todays pictures; i'll give a few comments about my testing these various changes. first i'm seeing RAW is 1000x better to work with the colors... and now playing with adobe rgb... i'll be curious to see the downsized versions once posted for comparison.

naturally, i think i'll stick to what i like... but i definately wont know til i find out anyway.