PDA

View Full Version : Took the RSA to Thunderhill

StanAE86
02-25-2006, 02:25 AM
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/2359/miscsmall0ut.jpg

So, here's my driving impressions: HOLY SHIT!

This car is soooo track capable it's amazing. I took the car out with street tires (Yokohama AVS Sport) and was absolutely amazed at how fast the RSA is capable of moving.

Although I've had the car since September of last year, I have always been slightly uneasy and afraid of the car. With horror stories of Porsche 911s whipping their tails around on the driver, I didn't have any confidence in myself in handling the car. Granted, the 964 is supposed to be the first "modern" 911 with substantial changes in suspension that were supposed to curtail the snap oversteer reputation, but it is my first Porsche and I didn't know what to expect. So, it was off to the track.

I ran with the intermediate group. He had an older 911 Carrera, a 911 SC with race tires, two C6 Z06 Corvettes, one C5 Z06, two Mustang Cobras, one being a recent model with a supercharger, a 911 GT2, a plethora of Boxsters a Mini and some other cars that I don't recall.

First lap out, I was in the middle of the pack, taking a rather casual pace as I let the tires warm up. As I came back onto the front straight, I hammered the throttle and the 911 punched forward (by the end of the day, I was consistently hitting about 110-113mph at the end of the main straight). As I increased speeds, the tires began to howl...damn street rubber. Nonetheless, the AVS Sport served me well. They were very progressive, had good turn in and communicated well, before giving up the grip by sliding.

I consistently howled the tires at each turn that was slow or moderate speed and took the long sweepers at a pretty rapid rate. The whole time, the RSA was firmly planted. Towards the end of each session, the street tires started to get a little greasy, but the RSA would tell me EXACTLY what the tail was doing. I could feel the rearend start to rotate and somewhat counterintuitively, you apply more throttle and the tail starts to stick again. In that same manner, you can control the car's angle of approach by modulating the throttle. The steering is spot-on, the seats are supportive. It's an excellent car.

The 993 "Big Red" brakes were fade-free despite deeper and deeper braking...fantastic.

The howl from the motor is hypnotic.

Some things I wouldn't mind...seats that are a bit more supportive in the legs. Although my torso stayed put because of the side bolsters, my thighs did a little bit of sliding. I think the non-leather RSA interior helped keep me in place better than if I was on leather. I'm 6'0" tall, and after adjusting the seat distance to where I want, the steering wheel is too far for my comfort. Although I was certainly driving well, I did not have the leverage that I like. I like the wheel closer to my body. I'm going to look into a steering wheel spacer if they have one. My friend said he has one on his 996 GT3...but that's a new car...I'm worried that I won't find something similar for the older 964.

Sports Car International Magazine was doing a comparison between the Lotus 7 and an Elise. So, you readers...when you read that article, it was done during this open track event.

End result, I ran away from all the other Porsches in my class (except the GT2). I caught a the C5 Z06 owner and he waived me by. I had to let the C6 Z06s by...they were really fast and could actually drive. Same with the GT2. He was slightly faster than me in the turns, but much faster in the straights, obviously. He was on Michelin Pilot Sport 2, tires. I made ground on the Mini, but never gridded close enough to really get close...same with the Mustangs. But, it was a bad day for the Pony cars...one hit a tire barrier when trying to get back into the hot pits, and the other two blew something and smoked their way back into the pits. Oh yeah, during the last session, a Z4 spun out in front of my, making me brake hard to avoid t-boning him/her and the Mini, with the JCW package limped into the pits as well.

Overalll, a great day and a phenomenal car...I am a Porsche cheerleader and I can't sing enough praises for what a wonderful machine they built. As a last bit of thought...while owning the RSA, I've noticed that the throttle pedal is much lower than the brake and clutch pedals. This makes heel-toe shifting nearly impossible in the street. Last night, I scoured the Porsche boards trying to find a fix and found people that bolt on two pedals, one on top of the other to bring up the height of the pedal to that of the brake. Well, I wasn't going to have time for that, so I figured, I'd just have to break my ankle to do it. When I got to the track and began full braking before corners, LOW AND BEHOLD...the brake pedal lined up PERFECT with the throttle making a heel-toe shift easy as pie. Porsche knows what they're doing. Unfortunately, on the street, I don't brake that hard, and can't heel toe. I may have to find one of those adjustable pedal covers to use on the street. In the many joys in the world, one is executing a rev-matched heel-toe downshift...

http://community.webshots.com/album/547960767xGTryl

sameerrao
02-25-2006, 03:32 AM
Now this was a great read.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your ride. The RSA is considered one of the most track friendly Porsches of all time. So you got the right steed for your track days.

And was it a real cop car on the tradck - very cool - I bet he flashed his lights everytime someone tried to overtake him :)

nthfinity
02-25-2006, 05:32 AM
wonderful read stan!
thanks for sharing, and i look forward to more adventures in your RSA... sounds like a brilliant machine!

ARMAN
02-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Awsome read :P Thanc for sharing with us petrolheads :) That makes me want Porsche even more :( :P

gucom
02-25-2006, 09:28 AM
sounds like an amazing car and a great day :D
thx for the story 8) btw...have u got any more pics of ur car? its kind of the best looking car of all those pics, maybe together with that exige

StanAE86
02-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Sameerrao: Yeah, it was a real cop. He was paying a visit to the track and got on during the lunch hour break, when the track was opened for parade laps. He did turn on his lights and siren for a short blast...it was great!

Gucom: Unfortunately...all my friends that were supposed to go to the track with me, one by one, flaked out. The final guy that was supposed to go with me, who has a 996 GT3, got a flat tire 3pm the day before. And despite a frantic city-wide search, NOBODY, not even the Porsche dealer had rear tires in stock. So, no pictures except the one I bought (above) and the parked one with my Go-Ped. I'm still waiting on some of the shots done by the photographer where I volunteered my car, to help him expand his portfolio...here is a "sneak preview" picture that he sent me:

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/9287/rsasf1wh.jpg

Hopefully the others will be better. He didn't blurr the tread of the tire or the reflection on the rear bumper which is inconsistent with him blurring the background and the wheels to create the sense of driving....not good if he's creating a portfolio...so, hopefully the rest will be better...

ARMAN
02-25-2006, 06:35 PM
stunnig pic imo :o

nthfinity
02-25-2006, 07:39 PM
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/9287/rsasf1wh.jpg

Hopefully the others will be better. He didn't blurr the tread of the tire or the reflection on the rear bumper which is inconsistent with him blurring the background and the wheels to create the sense of driving....not good if he's creating a portfolio...so, hopefully the rest will be better...
he does seem talented with PS... however, i think this is completely the wrong approach :?

sure, its harder to take a sharp panning shot... or with a follow/chase cam type shot... but the picture looks pretty bad IMO... for the reasons you mentioned, as well as the sun... it's all wrong for even a high aperature, low shutter speed... (the pic def. had a high aperature originally) the car itself is sharp on the edges, where every panning/motion shot will have some degree of where the focus is (front/back/middle... etc.) there isn't anybody in the drivers seat... and it looks like the car isn't on the pavement... so why give the illusion of movement?

if i were you, i would ask for the unedited photos... but thats just me. Your RSA is very very photogenic :)

StanAE86
02-26-2006, 04:09 AM
I don't know that much about photography...but I had some of the same criticisms. I know some of the work he's looking for is auto brochure stuff, where I think this type of photo may be used...where they want the car to still be sharp, but looking like it's moving. More for the lay person than someone that thinks it all out...hopefully when he's done, he'll give me copies of the originals as well as the Photoshoped versions... :D

TT
02-26-2006, 05:32 AM
Marvellous experience for sure to take your first Porsche out on the track! What blast! And that first picture you bought really deserve to be printed out and framed somewhere to bring back memories in some years :D

Pretty nice lineup BTW!

Johns
02-26-2006, 02:36 PM
WOW awesome write up...and pics too!! thanks!!!!!!

dutchmasterflex
02-26-2006, 03:12 PM
In the many joys in the world, one is executing a rev-matched heel-toe downshift...

So true.

Great write up. The 911 is definitely one of my dream cars to own and race.

Ziploc
02-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Can I be you?

crayzayjay
02-27-2006, 06:41 AM
Nice write-up. Sounds like it was a hell of a day :good: :D

pzgren
02-27-2006, 12:44 PM
very nice written report StanAE86, after reading it i would like to go out and race my car too, but i'll have to wait until spring...

and nice pics too - thx for your impressions

StanAE86
03-08-2006, 11:47 PM
The guy finished another shot of my car:

http://img322.imageshack.us/img322/884/rsasf022hm.jpg

TransAm
03-09-2006, 02:36 AM
That's a beautiful pic...

Beautiful subject to shoot, of course.

o/t your avatar still cracks me up everytime I see it, Stan. He's smiling?
:lol:

StanAE86
03-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Just found out the company taking pics at the track, put up the remaining photos for ordering:

http://gotbluemilk.com/web060224/69/index.html

Pehtren
03-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Stan can you explain your signature :D

:drool:

StanAE86
03-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Certainly....I own lots and lots and lots of cars...so I'm adding all the cars I own, to that list, as I remember what I own. JW requires a "custom" shot of your cars, and well, I just don't have time to do them all. I have only provided custom shots for the "verified" cars and not my "unverified" cars...that's all. If you are curious whether I have a particular car, ask me, and I will let you know. :D