PDA

View Full Version : M6 @ 205MPH (330kph)

ae86_16v
01-12-2006, 11:23 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4243445487353764300&q=suzuki+gsxr

RC45
01-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Well since we have a thread going about how innacurate BMW speedos are.. 10 to 12% over...

205mph on the clock is really only 180ish.

Not that impressive ;) :p

ae86_16v
01-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Well since we have a thread going about how innacurate BMW speedos are.. 10 to 12% over...

:)

nthfinity
01-13-2006, 01:02 AM

well, we can definately tell if we know the final gear ratio/tire size (wich is findable) since we know the RPM, and hes in top gear :wink: looked about 7400-7500 rpm adjusting from the view of the passenger

Vansquish
01-13-2006, 02:24 AM
also have to account for tire growth at that kind of speed.

dangerously_cool
01-13-2006, 02:25 AM
That's still a pretty cool video. I like the M6.

RC45
01-13-2006, 03:29 AM

well, we can definately tell if we know the final gear ratio/tire size (wich is findable) since we know the RPM, and hes in top gear :wink: looked about 7400-7500 rpm adjusting from the view of the passenger

Tire Size [inches]: Diameter - 26.8"
Transmission Gear Ratio: 1: 0.833
Rear Axle Gear Ratio: 1:3.62
Maximum Engine Speed (RPM): 7400

Top Speed (mph): 195.7mp

Assuming the revs are accurate - thats 5% over reading - sort of nullifies the magazine artcicle about how inaccurate BMW speedos are.

Just_me
01-13-2006, 05:50 AM
There is another video were the same M6 drive 336km/h according to the speedo. BMW claim that M5 has a topspeed of 328km/h and they could be right. Hopefully they are going to test the car around Nardo.
Alpina B5 Touring has a topspeed of real 319km/h according to the latest Nardo test.

BTW BMW speedo isnt more inaccurate than other carbrands.

Shinigami
01-13-2006, 10:54 AM
I wonder how quickly the owner will crash his car...

RC45
01-13-2006, 10:57 AM

Not according to the BMW Techs on this board... ;)

And the articles publsihed supporting this claim.

You obviously missed out the whole "top speed" discussion.

ZfrkS62
01-13-2006, 03:01 PM

Tire Size [inches]: Diameter - 26.8"
Transmission Gear Ratio: 1: 0.833
Rear Axle Gear Ratio: 1:3.62
Maximum Engine Speed (RPM): 7400

Top Speed (mph): 195.7mp

Assuming the revs are accurate - thats 5% over reading - sort of nullifies the magazine artcicle about how inaccurate BMW speedos are.

The revs would be accurate, certainly. I am still a bit confused as to why BMW would allow such a variance. I'll have to talk with our FSE about it or maybe the instructor when i go to class in Feb.

Just_me
01-13-2006, 04:40 PM

I listen to the Nardo-test but there is noway a M5 are going to have a slower topspeed than Alpina B5 Touring. Also I dont know why I should listen to your expertise instead of BMW. :wink:

This is from BMW and the topspeed is theoretical. "When to change gears"
1 gear: 71,5 km/h
2 gear: 107,4 km/h
3 gear: 157,7 km/h
4 gear: 204,6 km/h
5 gear: 245,8 km/h
6 gear: 284,8 km/h
7 gear: 341,9 km/h

dash
01-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Guys if those bike were running at their top speed than this 330km/h is quite possible. GSX-R 1000 (that was K4 model I guess) goes a bit over 300km/h I'm not sure about CBR 1000RR but Suzuki can reach 300km/h.
Speaking of inaccurate speedos seems like Enzo has very very accurate speedo because I seen a test on Nardo track where Enzo showed 355km/h and all the measure instruments from technicans also showed 355km/h. Pretty impressive huh? :D

kompak
01-14-2006, 02:23 AM
well..i think the tyres wouldn't last longer if he takes a lot of time to reach that speed..
time is important...
wonder what happened to the tyres?

RC45
01-14-2006, 02:31 AM

I listen to the Nardo-test but there is noway a M5 are going to have a slower topspeed than Alpina B5 Touring. Also I dont know why I should listen to your expertise instead of BMW. :wink:

Dude -- and I mean that as bluntly as possible.

It is not "listening to my BMW expertise" - it is math.

The engine spins, turns gears in the transmission that then in turn spins a drive shaft which inturn spins a diff that spins a tyre.

The tyre is a known radius (and thus circumference) and due to the ratio of the gears we can calculate how fast the tyres turn at given engine rpms.

Simple.

Not debatable.

These are the speeds the car will run at given rpm.

And it wasn't my expertise about the inacurate nature of BMW speedos.

It was Car & Driver.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=1907

Just_me
01-14-2006, 10:25 AM

Dude -- and I mean that as bluntly as possible.

It is not "listening to my BMW expertise" - it is math.

The engine spins, turns gears in the transmission that then in turn spins a drive shaft which inturn spins a diff that spins a tyre.

The tyre is a known radius (and thus circumference) and due to the ratio of the gears we can calculate how fast the tyres turn at given engine rpms.

Simple.

Not debatable.

These are the speeds the car will run at given rpm.

And it wasn't my expertise about the inacurate nature of BMW speedos.

It was Car & Driver.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=1907

The link you gave me is from year 2002.
You can do all math you want. I wait for a real topspeed test. If you are correct then I will admit you are correct, but until a real topspeed test has been done yeah well, you are wrong.

RC45
01-14-2006, 12:53 PM
You can do all math you want. I wait for a real topspeed test. If you are correct then I will admit you are correct, but until a real topspeed test has been done yeah well, you are wrong.

I am wrong?

Are you now arguing that a car can have variable speeds at the same rpm in the same gear?

Please don't tell us you are that un-informed.

For a give rpm, in a given speed with a given tyre circumference and no wheelspin or cutch slippage there can be only one speed.

I was saying the car cannot go to your dream-world 205mph... I am showing you that int hat video it is NOT running that speed - based on the engine RPM's.

do you understand that mechanical speed is a calculable number? ? ;)

Or do you some how think BMW is excempt from the laws of conventional physics?

The posted video shows an indicated speed - NOT ACTUAL - and the engine revolutions are in the video as well - so we can then back up the indictaed speed with a calculated speed - which with the correct input data cannot be wrong. :P

Either way - it doesn't change the fact that the M6 is an overpriced, slow, heavy pig :)

harryo2b
01-14-2006, 01:17 PM
So what if both gauges were off then?

In what relation is the M6 slow?

RC45
01-14-2006, 01:23 PM
So what if both gauges were off then?

If that's the case, then how do you even know the V10 can even make 400 hp - let alone 500hp? :P

In what relation is the M6 slow?

0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, track lap times, slalom, 60-0 - 3rd gear roll, 4th gear roll, Nurburgring times - everything.. ;)

It's ugly, slow, heavy and bad handling :P :D

harryo2b
01-14-2006, 01:52 PM
I am not sure about exact dyno figures but i am sure in time some owner will provide theirs just for shits and giggles. but from the seat of the beast, M5, it sure as hell feels like a 500 hp beast with of course the added baggage of 4 doors and comfy seating. Haven't read anything about the M6 yet but the M5 times are pretty impressive for the class of cars it is in.

Just_me
01-14-2006, 01:56 PM
RC45 (einstein), BMW says 328km/h. I believe them until I seen a realtest, like the Nardo test. Until its been proven wrong then have a nice time trying to convince me its not possible.

Just_me
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
I am not sure about exact dyno figures but i am sure in time some owner will provide theirs just for shits and giggles. but from the seat of the beast, M5, it sure as hell feels like a 500 hp beast with of course the added baggage of 4 doors and comfy seating. Haven't read anything about the M6 yet but the M5 times are pretty impressive for the class of cars it is in.

I have driven both M5 and M6. Those who dont think those cars are awesome veichels have screw lose. Either they havent driven the cars or they are just another BMW-hater and trying to provoke. Those cars have been celebrated and got several awards 2005. Thats not possible if it was a bad car.

RC45
01-14-2006, 02:09 PM
RC45 (einstein), BMW says 328km/h. I believe them until I seen a realtest, like the Nardo test. Until its been proven wrong then have a nice time trying to convince me its not possible.

Chum... don't you get ti??

The debate is not about THEORETICAL TOP SPEED?

It is about the posted video and if the speed on the speedo show was accurate.

In the posted video WE SEE THE RPM'S -- Do you understand this?

In the posted video WE SEE THE SPEED ON THE SPEEDO -- Do you understand this?

In the posted video WE ARE LEAD TO BELIEVE IT IS A STOCK M6 WITH STOCK WHEELS AND TYRES -- Do you understand this?

With this informaiton WE CAN CALCULATE THE SPEED OF THE CAR AS SHOWN IN THE VIDEO --Do you understand this?

These things have NOTHING TO DO WITH BMW'S CLAIMED TOP SPEDD -- Do you understand this?

Now - THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION OF ALL

DID YOU KNOW THAT THE SPEED OF A VEHICLE GIVEN THE RPM, THE WHEEL CIRCUMFERENCE, THE TRANSMISSION AND DIFF RATIOS IS A CALCULATABLE NUMBER THAT IS NOT ARGUABLE?

I am confident that something must be being lost in the translation - because no car enthusiast could be as dumb as you are protraying yourself to be - especially not on a public forum read my thousands of people.

The BMW M6 has a factory claimed top speed.

The video shows someone video taping their cars attemopt to reach this tops speed.

The video also shows the RPM's - therefore IRRESPECTIVE OF WHAT THE SPEEDO SHOWS WE CAN DETERMINE OURSELVES WHAT SPEED THE CAR IS GOING ;)

Again, I am not DISPUTING BMW"S CLAIMED TOP SPEED - I am simply pointign out that the car in the video is going about 20km/h slower than the speedo is showing.

RC45
01-14-2006, 02:13 PM

I have driven both M5 and M6. Those who dont think those cars are awesome veichels have screw lose. Either they havent driven the cars or they are just another BMW-hater and trying to provoke. Those cars have been celebrated and got several awards 2005. Thats not possible if it was a bad car.

The car just plain sucks. Over weight. Over complex. Over priced. And it's ugly.

Belongs on the seriously uncool wall.

TT
01-14-2006, 02:13 PM
And what if the rev counter isn't showing the proper value? :fuck:

RC45
01-14-2006, 02:19 PM
And what if the rev counter isn't showing the proper value? :fuck:

We already went there ;)

Our resident BMW tech says that not possible - I mean as we know, BMW onboard computers are infallible :P

And if the rev counter was off, then the timing, fuel, Super-Duper-VANOS and a thousand other systems would all fail and the whole car explode in 1 million and 6 pieces :) hehe

I mean we have to assume that something in the BMW is working - right?

Unless you mean to tell us that BMW technology sucks so bad it's a miracle it can even start up ;) heheh

TT
01-14-2006, 02:20 PM
LOL okok :P to be honest I don't give a fuck about the real top speed since it is anyway a wicked one :)

harryo2b
01-14-2006, 02:25 PM
I will have to admit that the M6 isn't the best of designs. The M5 on the other hand is impressive and with the ability to move a family at unsafe speeds is just that much more appealing :lol: Performance wise this car can compete but of course to some the price doesn't justify it. Shame that the 1, 3 sedan and coupe, M6, Z4 road and coupe all look like ass.

Someone willing to take their M6 to Bonneville for some speed traps?
Anyone have figures on how the M5 compares to the M6 as far as specs and performance?

Car and Driver
M5
0-60 4.2 secs
1/4 Mile 12.5 secs at 118
Top Speed Limited 155 mph

Just_me
01-17-2006, 06:32 AM

Chum... don't you get ti??

The debate is not about THEORETICAL TOP SPEED?

It is about the posted video and if the speed on the speedo show was accurate.

In the posted video WE SEE THE RPM'S -- Do you understand this?

In the posted video WE SEE THE SPEED ON THE SPEEDO -- Do you understand this?

In the posted video WE ARE LEAD TO BELIEVE IT IS A STOCK M6 WITH STOCK WHEELS AND TYRES -- Do you understand this?

With this informaiton WE CAN CALCULATE THE SPEED OF THE CAR AS SHOWN IN THE VIDEO --Do you understand this?

These things have NOTHING TO DO WITH BMW'S CLAIMED TOP SPEDD -- Do you understand this?

Now - THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION OF ALL

DID YOU KNOW THAT THE SPEED OF A VEHICLE GIVEN THE RPM, THE WHEEL CIRCUMFERENCE, THE TRANSMISSION AND DIFF RATIOS IS A CALCULATABLE NUMBER THAT IS NOT ARGUABLE?

I am confident that something must be being lost in the translation - because no car enthusiast could be as dumb as you are protraying yourself to be - especially not on a public forum read my thousands of people.

The BMW M6 has a factory claimed top speed.

The video shows someone video taping their cars attemopt to reach this tops speed.

The video also shows the RPM's - therefore IRRESPECTIVE OF WHAT THE SPEEDO SHOWS WE CAN DETERMINE OURSELVES WHAT SPEED THE CAR IS GOING ;)

Again, I am not DISPUTING BMW"S CLAIMED TOP SPEED - I am simply pointign out that the car in the video is going about 20km/h slower than the speedo is showing.

theoretical or not, the topspeed is 328km/h until Ive been proven wrong. :wink:

Just_me
01-17-2006, 06:33 AM

The car just plain sucks. Over weight. Over complex. Over priced. And it's ugly.

Belongs on the seriously uncool wall.

So you say. Means nothing in my book. I know who you are so your opinion about BMW doesnt mean much :lol:

Just_me
01-17-2006, 06:38 AM
I will have to admit that the M6 isn't the best of designs. The M5 on the other hand is impressive and with the ability to move a family at unsafe speeds is just that much more appealing :lol: Performance wise this car can compete but of course to some the price doesn't justify it. Shame that the 1, 3 sedan and coupe, M6, Z4 road and coupe all look like ass.

Someone willing to take their M6 to Bonneville for some speed traps?
Anyone have figures on how the M5 compares to the M6 as far as specs and performance?

Car and Driver
M5
0-60 4.2 secs
1/4 Mile 12.5 secs at 118
Top Speed Limited 155 mph

M6 is slightly faster..

See video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-997803908557772668&q=M6[/url]

LotusGT1
01-17-2006, 06:47 AM

Did BMW ever prove it right?

Just_me
01-17-2006, 06:49 AM

Did BMW ever prove it right?

Like I said. Until I've been proven wrong the topspeed is 328km/h. I believe BMW more than boys on the net.
I expect the car to be tested soon on Nardo. Alpina B5 Touring has a topspeed of 319km/h according to Nardo test, my money that M5 is faster.

LotusGT1
01-17-2006, 07:05 AM
That was not the question. I assume it's a "no".

But it wouldn't be the first time cars don't live up the claims the manufacturer makes...

Just_me
01-17-2006, 07:13 AM
That was not the question. I assume it's a "no".

But it wouldn't be the first time cars don't live up the claims the manufacturer makes...

BMW has probably tested the car by themselves but there is no video or an independent carmag to back it up yet. German AMS are doing Nardo tests every year and I believe the M5 is in the next NARDO test .
So for now, I trust BMw and not the boys on the net. If it turns out that M5 dont manage 328km/h then Im the first person to say "Excuse me RC45 but I was wrong and you were right". Until that day I put my faith to BMW.. :wink:

cooperluke
01-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Yesterday a M6 passed by me... at full trottle... I drooled for 10 minutes....

ae86_16v
01-18-2006, 02:45 AM
Yesterday a M6 passed by me... at full trottle... I drooled for 10 minutes....

Was it @ 330kph?!? :)

Hahaha. . .

vakpemil
01-18-2006, 04:19 AM
Woow thats impresive from BMW 8)