PDA

View Full Version : Are Clarkson's Challenges really that challenging?

coloradosilver
01-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Someone please help me with this....

In the past, we've seen some great challenges with Clarkson vs May and Hammond such as the DB9 vs Train, Ferrari 612 vs Plane, SlR vs Boat, and most recently the Bugatti vs the private Plane.

Here's my problem.....In every one of these races, there is a camera van that follows Clarkson in whatever car he's driving and gets outside shots, vids of Clarkson...whatever. In each of the races, that same van makes it to the destination with Clarkson filming the whole thing. Does this mean that it really doesn't matter what Clarson is driving because even the camera van would have beaten James and Richard? Or is there some other method of filming at work here?

Toronto
01-06-2006, 07:12 PM
yes we all know the races are 90% TV magic. but lets keep the dream going :P

Daggernite
01-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Good point, I've also thought about it, also the way its edited may be slightly fix to make it seem closer than what it really was. But ya never know for sure.

5vz-fe
01-06-2006, 07:14 PM
I really would like to see Clarkson lose tho ...... give him a Corolla next time BBC!!

coloradosilver
01-06-2006, 07:21 PM
I really would like to see Clarkson lose tho ...... give him a Corolla next time BBC!!

I don't think it would matter what he drives, as I mentioned above, the camera van would have beaten James and Richard. Those two need to figure out a way to beat the camera van, then they will have a real chance at winning.

5vz-fe
01-06-2006, 07:22 PM
^lol, if they beat the camera man, what are we gonna watch?? keke

coloradosilver
01-06-2006, 07:24 PM
^^^ Ummmm...good point. Maybe the in-car cameras would have to be sufficient.

Darkel
01-06-2006, 07:24 PM
They've got the fastest BBC Van on earth, makes me remember an old E39 M5 advertisement with the M5 filming the world speed record :D

SFDMALEX
01-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Im sure they set up cameras ahead of time, its done in other things aswel...

Although I am sure a lot of it is highly edited and such I dont believe its competly bullshit.

Plus dont forget clarkuson did lose that mountain climbers vs. Audi race ;)

graywolf624
01-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Id say like the majority of Clarksons comments, the majority of it is entertainment, not fact. Not that that takes anything away from it.

SFDMALEX
01-06-2006, 07:27 PM
I think they aren't all fake, but I do think they don't really go over the speed limit or anything, othervide they could never shoot all of that.

Sure they go over the limit. No cop will be able to use that footage for anything. ;)

BBC can say it is edited etc.....its just not possible.

AlienDB7
01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
With proper planning, JC can get whatever results he wants... okay, not too sure about the breakdown of the boat, that was kinda hard to plan or was it? :roll:

racer_f50
01-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Anyhow - it's not the race which counts (for me)... it's Clarkson, May and Hammond doing something different from time to time :P
Indeed. The races and challenges they set up really give the show some variety and a chance for them to display more of their unique humor (and arguing) 8)

I've often wondered about the races too, but I just figured they had camera crews already set up throughout Jeremy's route, waiting for him to come by. Since he won't be doing insane speeds all the way, it's quite reasonable that they can stay with him for some of the outside shots. If they can't keep up with him on the road, they always get a chance when he's fueling up.

DeMoN
01-06-2006, 09:28 PM
same thing goes for James not running in TV, camera guy has to run with all his equipment (unless they invent a super zoom so they zoom intead of follow lol) so yeah both ways its cheating!

TransAm
01-06-2006, 10:35 PM
I assumed the same as racer_f50. They know the route which will be taken in advance so 2 or 3 crews go on ahead, and Jezza has an in-car camera setup. They meet him at his natural break points where they shoot any film of him outside the car if necessary (I.e. making jokes about MPG at the petrol station), and thereafter have a convoy for a few miles before he zooms off at single-digit MPG speeds :twisted:

As for whether it is TV magic or a genuine fair race, I am not concerned either way, it is great to watch and very innovative TV.

vexor
01-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Maybe one of us should send an e-mail to the producer of the show and ask them how they do it??

You never know, they might tell us...

Fleischmann
01-07-2006, 04:29 AM
We.., it's abvious that the TG crew doesn't set up 500 cameras on a 1000km stretch of road. maybe they do all the filming inside the car during the actual trip and then on the way back take shots of the car from the outside. That's my guess, it would be nice to know if it was true.

yg60m
01-07-2006, 04:58 AM

Although I am sure a lot of it is highly edited and such I dont believe its competly bullshit.

Yes, but it wasn't against James and Richards :wink: For the rest I am sure that it results from TV Magics as Toronto said :P And sometimes failures add to the fun of the show :wink: Anyway they are good actors :)

jakaracman
01-07-2006, 05:19 AM

I think it's all bullshit. Veyron almost loosing? No way, it was staged. If driven properly, JC would be in london hours ahead od hamster&co.
Audi fesature? He was driving soooooo aloooooow ... He had a 60 kph or so average, if I remeber correctly. With an RS ... Slooooooooooow or deliberate ...
Doesnt matter that it's 100% staged, though. It's still fun to watc! :D

blinkmeat
01-07-2006, 05:20 AM
Someone please help me with this....

In the past, we've seen some great challenges with Clarkson vs May and Hammond such as the DB9 vs Train, Ferrari 612 vs Plane, SlR vs Boat, and most recently the Bugatti vs the private Plane.

Here's my problem.....In every one of these races, there is a camera van that follows Clarkson in whatever car he's driving and gets outside shots, vids of Clarkson...whatever. In each of the races, that same van makes it to the destination with Clarkson filming the whole thing. Does this mean that it really doesn't matter what Clarson is driving because even the camera van would have beaten James and Richard? Or is there some other method of filming at work here?

:shock:

There's a Santa Claus though right?

yg60m
01-07-2006, 08:52 AM

I think it's all bullshit. Veyron almost loosing? No way, it was staged. If driven properly, JC would be in london hours ahead od hamster&co.
Audi fesature? He was driving soooooo aloooooow ... He had a 60 kph or so average, if I remeber correctly. With an RS ... Slooooooooooow or deliberate ...

Mate, the Veyron certainly had to stop for fuel every 200 miles if pushed a little :wink: He would be in London very fast if it had a 1000 gallons tank :P

Then for the RS4 feature, if you already went in the Verdon's roads, you know that even 60 kph is fast there :lol: :wink:

antonioledesma
01-07-2006, 12:39 PM
JC records his trip inside the car, has a camera crew in strategic points to stop and record some jokes. I would think that 2 or 3 crews go with JC and go ahead when one crew is chatting with JC at a gas station.
Besides I don't believe that the BBC could not have an Audi avant to carry almost all equipment

the race is over and they film the return with more time

jakaracman
01-07-2006, 12:57 PM

Mate, the Veyron certainly had to stop for fuel every 200 miles if pushed a little :wink: He would be in London very fast if it had a 1000 gallons tank :P

Then for the RS4 feature, if you already went in the Verdon's roads, you know that even 60 kph is fast there :lol: :wink:
Fuel sto takes what, 5 minutes? Still waaaay faster than plane. And so what if they are driving on public roads. With a little care you can go quite fast without being biothered by police. When I go to paris by car (2-3 times a year) or when I'm somewhere ečlse in france with a car I usually drive about 160 kph on motorways without problems ...
As for RS feature: I havent driven there, but it cant be much diffrennt than lets say roads around Gap (where rally monte carlo goes) - an I've had average speeds around 90 there when driving around for fun with a 911 ... No prublem. 8)

SFDMALEX
01-07-2006, 03:35 PM
/\/\/\

If they planned well they could take a direct route to england on the plane.

They could also have paid someone to do the check up before taking off.

ANNOUNCMENT!

Where from did Hammond and May take off? And where did they fly to?

Just for arguments sake I will simulate this flight and see how long it takes.

jakaracman
01-09-2006, 05:13 AM
Viamichelin says it's 1270 km on the road, if the average is 120 kph (which is easy with a car like veyaron) it's good 10 hours (wih fuel stops), if you count train and stuff let's say 11 hours.

RC45
01-09-2006, 05:35 AM
It's all bloody fake and staged... like any reality TV - it's not... :P

stmoritzer
01-09-2006, 09:22 AM
yes we all know the races are 90% TV magic. but lets keep the dream going :P

I second that! nothing more to say 8)

jakaracman
01-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Viamichelin says it's 1270 km on the road, if the average is 120 kph (which is easy with a car like veyaron) it's good 10 hours (wih fuel stops), if you count train and stuff let's say 11 hours.

Don't believe in ViaMichelin - they said it was 6 hours to go to Montecarlo from Barcelona, and they were actually 6 hours, yes - but after driving over 180kmh all the time :D
I did not write the time from viamichelin (it said almost 13 hours). As for Monco-Barcelona, 6,5 hours for 650 kilometres is not too short. On motorways I usually average around 120, and it's motorway all the way ...
When I go to Frankfurt it's 800 kkm and I do it in 7 or 7,5 hours (did it in 6,5 but quite a long ago at night) ...
Ljubljana Geneva is 880 km and good 8 hours but over St. Bernard pass.
If there are no queues, you can count on 100 kph average for such trips on motorways.

stmoritzer
01-09-2006, 11:54 AM
^100km/h is a good number IMO

8)

jakaracman
01-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Especially in Switzerland :lol:
A few months ago I did (just for a quick test) about 190 kph on local road near St. Moritz. If swiss cops cought me doing that they would probably use panzerfaust instead of laser or radar :lol: