PDA

View Full Version : When Intelligence Fails

TransAm
01-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Watched 3 episodes of this last night on Discovery Times (DTMS) channel

It was very interesting and well presented documentary from the perspective of global politics and history, I'd certainly recommend you keep an eye out for it and try and get to see it if you are in the US and have the Discovery Times channel.

They covered the Cold War spies, why the world took their eye off of Afghanistan and how that led to 9/11 etc, Why the CIA told Bush there were WMDs when they really werent sure, The Iranian revolution, The murder of the Christian leader in El Salvador back in the early 80s, why Stalin wasn't told the Germans would attack him in WW2 etc.

For me it was a real eye-opener, lots of these events having taken place in the early part of my lifetime when I was too young to have an appreication for current affairs of the day.

For the UK folks - this was a British production so it might well appear on one of the digital channels at some point. If I had the facility to record TV here (no video nor DVR) I would have grabbed it for you, but I couldnt. Maybe check the torrent sites if you are interested?

nthfinity
01-06-2006, 12:08 AM
sounds like an interesting show; im sure a lot will remain unknown/un anylized for many years to come...

of course, i think the show could focus on intelegence being successful... its not a one way street... but 'good' tv follows public acceptance/opinion... so it may be a while before such a rounded show exists.

Banchi105
01-06-2006, 12:12 AM
I would hope on the Discovery channel it would seek to remain unbiased. - But in actuality I suppose its almost impossible for anything to be completely unbiased.

I will definitely make an effort to catch the show though! Thanks for the heads up.

TransAm
01-06-2006, 12:32 PM
It is pretty unbiased, it doesnt put any blame on anyone or any country as such, just tells what happened, and has a lot of interviews with Stazi, KGB, CIA, and political aides etc.
They covered the sinking of the Greenpeace ship as well (forgot about that one) - if it had not been for the French Secret Agents turning their hire car in, they'd have never been caught and the world would never have been able to prove it was them. :wink: