PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear in USA

noliebro
12-30-2005, 04:05 AM
this will probably be a repost, could not find it in here. Top gear is coming to America, whole new cast and set, pilot already filmed. I just want to know at first if this is a repost, if not i will post more info.

AlienDB7
12-30-2005, 05:02 AM
What do you mean? Like a version different from the current ones being shown on Discovery channel? What's Top Gear without Jeremy Clarkson? :mrgreen:

AlienDB7
12-30-2005, 06:17 AM
Top Gear without Clarkson = Pulling Power :P
or Fifth Gear :lol:

Anonymous
12-30-2005, 07:18 AM
Ah yeh I forgot to post it, it was in this months Top Gear mag, I agree it will be horrible, only good thing being they have kept the Stig test track idea and the weather will be better! Shame american broadcasters are too sensitive for the real program to be a sucess, I guess the ratings weren't good for the reworked series :bah:

graywolf624
12-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Actually the ratings were great for the reworked series and I don't think they are sensitive either. They dont think people will get british humour, which may be true of the average American. IMho they are being overly conservative in this respect. Anyway, I think this is actually a repost.

vexor
01-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Here's the full story about TG in the USA

LINK (http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2006/01/stories/08/1.html)

graywolf624
01-21-2006, 11:25 PM
^I think your a little late to the party with that one.. its already been here as many of us are subscribers.

Banchi105
01-22-2006, 01:08 AM
What channel/times does it show?

Honda_PoD
01-22-2006, 01:17 AM
the discovrey channel airs the TG with JC now but limited showing and episodes. ^^

FD3SDriver
02-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Didn't know this, but i'm interested

lorbmw69
02-09-2006, 10:26 PM
there is a marathon on the discovrey channel tonight! i've them all before but its great to see them on the TV and not my computer!!!

DeMoN
02-10-2006, 01:23 AM
TOday, I saw Top Gear on discovery channel. Thats exaclty the same as the British one with $ instead of pounds lol. And a LOT cut off.

T-Bird
02-10-2006, 11:58 PM
man what times was it on? I always seem to miss it...

GT-R_R34
07-06-2006, 11:47 PM
i didn't know where to post it, but i notice that Top gear is shown in BBC canada. last week i saw the SLR ep. from last season. kind of cool seen the ep in regular tv.

jorge
07-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Top Gear without Clarkson = Pulling Power :P
or Fifth Gear :lol:

That´s right.
The show needs a personality like Clarkson

Global Warming
07-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Let’s see, who could be the American Clarkson....

Vin Diesel
Jessie James (Monster Garage)
Tom Selleck
Burt Reynolds
Tim Allen
Jay Leno
Danica Patrick

I vote for the later! :lol:

RC45
07-07-2006, 12:25 AM
WTF is up with that list?
Other than Leno and maybe Allen they have no whit or car attraction... none what so ever

In fact - why does it need to be a "star" to begin with?

FFS, I bet I could do a better job than anyone in the above list other than Leno and Allen, and then onyl because Leno and Allen have proven to be car guys... ;) :P

dutchmasterflex
07-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Vin Diesel? Tom Selleck? Tim Allen?

Dude, what the fuck are you smoking?

Global Warming
07-07-2006, 12:52 AM
Vin Diesel? Tom Selleck? Tim Allen?

Dude, what the fuck are you smoking?

Pot...

Jabba
07-07-2006, 04:41 AM
How about allanlambo ?

Global Warming
07-07-2006, 07:00 PM
WTF is up with that list?
Other than Leno and maybe Allen they have no whit or car attraction... none what so ever

In fact - why does it need to be a "star" to begin with?

FFS, I bet I could do a better job than anyone in the above list other than Leno and Allen, and then onyl because Leno and Allen have proven to be car guys... ;) :P

Yeah man it’s what’s called a "joke". And I chose a bunch of funny names because they all have some kind of car connection.

Selleck - Magnum and the Ferrari.
Burt - Smoky and the Bandit Trans Am

All the others should be self explanatory, I thought Vin was the most funny! :lol:

Oh lets add Michel J. Fox (DeLorean) but he is a Canadian so screw that! LOL , I’m sure I can come up with more as I think of them ;)

Edit: David Hasselhoff!!! (kit) LOL!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Don Johnson (many different Ferrari's and other exotics on Miami Vice)

Bill Gates (has a lot of exotics, also there is a rumor that he has an illegal 959 hidden in a garage on a little island off the coast of Washington!)

Even if they would not be good hosts I would like to see EVERY SINGLE person on the list as a celebrity driver on American Top Gear! :P

RC45
07-07-2006, 08:19 PM
^^^ Your research is a little off.. Gates 959 is not illegal, and hasn't been for while now.

He helped get some "show car" legislation passed to allow cars to be brought in for non-street use ;)

What is peoples obsession with "celebrity" anything, let alone driver?

Whats the point of a celebrity driving anything? It's not even good entertainement.

Is Top Gear about the cars or about celebrity?

How about allanlambo ?

Be careful - you may have to ban yourself just for suggesting that ;) :P hehehe

Global Warming
07-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Whats the point of a celebrity driving anything? It's not even good entertainement.

Is Top Gear about the cars or about celebrity?

Well because it adds a “talk show element” to the show. I don’t have a problem with it but I’m not in love with it either. Some of the guests have been entertaining and fun to watch on the track but a lot of others I had never even heard of before and really dont care about at all.

I don’t have a problem with anything about Top Gear before this season. But this season they have taken their stupid little skits, like the radio bit, convertible mini-van bit, and the car boat bit way too far. There used to be just a few and most were pretty cool, like the 430/GT/Zonda in France piece. That was a great one! But now they are silly and boring and just take up time that they could use testing and reviewing cars. I would rather have the "celebrity driver" if it meant a lot less of the stupid little skits!

666fast
07-07-2006, 10:17 PM
But this season they have taken their stupid little skits, like the radio bit, convertible mini-van bit, and the car boat bit way too far.

It's called entertainment. I found every second of each one of those bits hilarious!

Global Warming
07-08-2006, 12:41 PM
But this season they have taken their stupid little skits, like the radio bit, convertible mini-van bit, and the car boat bit way too far.

It's called entertainment. I found every second of each one of those bits hilarious!

Those skits would be ok if they were limited to about 15 mins max! But they just go on and on and stop being funny after about 5 mins. Seriously those bits are more than 50% of the show, add another 25 to 30% for the celebrity driver and you are left with only about 20% of the show actually dealing with car reviews and seeing the stig drive. This is the first season they have gone totally overboard with this kind of crap and the show looks like it should be on MTV rather than the BBC with all the corny banter between the cast.

I like the cast a lot but I watch Top Gear to see car reviews. Not the 3 of them clown it up in scripted nonsense! Maybe next they will just stop talking about cars all together and change the name of the show to “The Real World with Jeremy Clarkson!” (the title sown with Benny Hill music playing) :roll: