PDA

View Full Version : The Island (Ewan MacGregor/Scarlett Johansson)

TransAm
12-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Watched this one last night. Almost worth renting to drool over the interior design of the bachelor pad that you see towards the end of the film. Scarlett's pretty cute too.

Synopsis: Ewan works out hes cloned, grabs ladyfriend, Ewan and lady escape, get pursued, evade capture, save the world. Usual plot.

Anyway, that aside, it's a good action film and of course typically predictable although for me there were quite a few edge of the seat moments during the on-foot chase scenes. Some great fight moments where you're really thinking - that's gotta hurt. Wont spoil it for you with details.

You see the Cien get a bit of a workout, which is a nice bonus.

Overall 8/10 from someone who likes this kind of film.

Better than: XXX (Vin Diesel)
Worse than: The Bourne Supremacy

Toronto
12-28-2005, 07:19 PM
the only thing i am going to say about this movie is that Johansson could of been left out of this movie and nothing would of changed :P

TransAm
12-28-2005, 07:24 PM
the only thing i am going to say about this movie is that Johansson could of been left out of this movie and nothing would of changed :P

As amusing as it reads, that is quite true :lol:

Wyclef
12-29-2005, 08:25 AM
I don't like this movie :? Although I like Steve Buscemi (he's in the first part the movie). I think it's too slow and kind of cliché

dingo
12-29-2005, 08:35 AM
I watched this in Alice Springs actually (back in August) and quite enjoyed it, these type of movies aren't usually my thing either.

Ghostbat
12-29-2005, 08:40 AM
I really liked it. Big budget and good actors are often a nice combo. I agree on the aprtment thing, excellent bachelor pad.

Worse than Bourne Supremacy?? definetely not IMO. Maybe not as good as Bourne Identity but a whole lot better than Bourne Supremacy. What I don't like is that the producers didn't allow Scarlett to show her boobies :cry:

And that Wally :drool:

TransAm
12-29-2005, 02:03 PM
^ Doh, I meant to say The Bourne Identity NOT Supremacy!

Sorry, and yes you are right Ghostbat 8)

EnzoLover
12-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Cadillac Cien with Ferrari sound ? NOT!

I liked the movie, but the Cien scene, hum ...

Mattk
12-30-2005, 12:56 AM
A bit too much action dulled a reasonably interesting plot. Towards the end, the film got quite boring. The last scenes where Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson go back into the facility are quite unnecessary.

r2r
12-30-2005, 01:20 AM
I like this film. Reminds me of the old novel Brave New World.

ae86_16v
12-30-2005, 02:43 AM

Bullshit, she was the only thing that kept me interested. :)

Definitely one of the hottest actress out there right now.

nthfinity
12-30-2005, 03:51 AM
well.... it wasnt terrible, and was better then other movies i've paid to way to much to see. the beginning was definately too slow to get to the real plot of the movie.

as far as Sci-fi thriller, nothing really comes close to Gattica.

TransAm
12-30-2005, 12:01 PM

thats a great film :wink: :good:

Ghostbat
12-30-2005, 12:53 PM

If its that great how come you don't know the correct name :wink:

But indeed a great sci-fi but not the greatest

Drive4Ever
01-04-2006, 04:47 AM
just saw the movie for the 3rd time, bored as hell at home so decide to watch it again. its different i may say. interesting in a way but they could have done better with genetics materials. lol

AlienDB7
01-04-2006, 05:06 AM
Gattaca is definitely on my top 10 list! Andrew Niccol made quite a few good movies over the years... Truman Show, S1m0ne.. not too sure about Terminal (haven't seen that yet). Actually, got to watch Lord of War tomorrow ;) He just knows how to keep you thinking.

nthfinity
01-04-2006, 05:17 AM

If its that great how come you don't know the correct name :wink:

But indeed a great sci-fi but not the greatest
i'll spell Ghattykah however i want :P

oh, and whats a better [b]sci-fi thriller[/i] ? i'd be up to watch something better, or close :wink:

twboy1999
01-04-2006, 08:54 AM
one of the better movie i seen in recent months
but i think it didnt do 2 well i the box office, same as alot of movie this yr

scarlet is hot as hell in that movie.. :lol: :lol:

Mattk
01-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Yeah, just watch it for Scarlett. The plot gets a bit thin towards the end.

AlienDB7
01-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Finally watched The Island last night. It's actually better than I expected. The beginning seems to be a bit confusing since I forgot about the plot summaries I read (a good thing) but the story got better... til the end with the disappointing typical hero saves the day Hollywood ending.

In summary, The Island = (Gattaca + Sixth Day) / 2

and yes, Scarlett is very hot in the movie.. lucky Ewen! :twisted:

bmwmpower
01-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Finally watched The Island last night. It's actually better than I expected. The beginning seems to be a bit confusing since I forgot about the plot summaries I read (a good thing) but the story got better... til the end with the disappointing typical hero saves the day Hollywood ending.

In summary, The Island = (Gattaca + Sixth Day) / 2

and yes, Scarlett is very hot in the movie.. lucky Ewen! :twisted:

yeah, its not bad,and quitte real story in future

Overmind
01-17-2006, 11:53 AM
The movie wasn't actually that bad, but it sure had some pitiful american's box office grosses... it did pretty well in the rest of the world though. It also was the first Michael Bay's picture without Jerry Buckheimer as a producer :).

Anyways did you guys also notice that the yacht (http://www.wally.com/jumpCh.asp?idUser=0&idChannel=44&idLang=IT) that appeared several times in the movie was once on TG?

Ghostbat
01-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Anyways did you guys also notice that the yacht that appeared several times in the movie was once on TG?

Of course, as I mentioned in my post..

bmwmpower
01-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Wali or somethink like that, piece of engineering :D

Ian_yamaue
01-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Wali or somethink like that, piece of engineering :D

Wally Power
http://www.wally.com/jumpCh.asp?idUser=0&idChannel=44&idLang=IT
Overmind linked :wink:

Overmind
01-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Anyways did you guys also notice that the yacht that appeared several times in the movie was once on TG?

Of course, as I mentioned in my post..
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Mattk
01-18-2006, 02:34 AM
Yeh, the yacht has featured on numerous shows, and it's a real model. I wish I had one.

Ian_yamaue
01-18-2006, 03:38 PM
That yacht is one of the coolest things I've ever seen...it was the 118 if I remember correctly. Ouh I would sooo like one.
Yes it's the 118. Looks like Dath Vader's Starship Destroyer...