PDA

View Full Version : Vector W8

System
11-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Let's see what ppl think of a Vector, a big failure back then you have to admit.. they sold what, 20 cars in total M12 and W8 included I think...
There are hardcore fans around the globe saying it always was the best supercar of the world, but well, considering how bad it went, I have my doubts :roll:
Wasn't sure if I should pick the M12 or the W8 and went for the latter, which has a more carachteristic Vector look IMO

http://img16.imagevenue.com/loc43/th_1e4_Vector_W8_006.jpg (http://img16.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc43&image=1e4_Vector_W8_006.jpg) http://img126.imagevenue.com/loc265/th_b26_Vector_W8_005.jpg (http://img126.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc265&image=b26_Vector_W8_005.jpg)

Toronto
11-20-2005, 11:32 AM
didn't they race @ le mans?

yg60m
11-20-2005, 11:44 AM
I find it cool :oops: It was ... different. :wink: But I am not a good example as I like almost every car :lol:

graywolf624
11-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Uncool.. Too much like the countach.. which at the time was cool but the look hasn't aged well.

gucom
11-20-2005, 12:05 PM
for some reason this is just on the cool side of things for me...it aged better than the countach, which still looked pretty cool in the late 90s but is now absolutely horrible...this is just a slightly extreme-looking ca, just like it was in the 80s...

jorge
11-20-2005, 12:13 PM
When it appeared it was the coolest thing i could imagine, but these days i think itīs only cool

crowngroup
11-20-2005, 01:07 PM
haha I remember when I was at school some kids said it was the best car in the world.. what a POS

doesn't it have a 3 speed auto box ?

Anonymous
11-20-2005, 01:09 PM
It looks like homer drew it, uncool.

dodo
11-20-2005, 01:45 PM
i like drawings by homer :D subzero! first supercar i ever knew..

taygunho
11-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Seriously uncool. :puke:

|Nuno|
11-20-2005, 08:51 PM
A total mess. Seriously uncool.

SilviaEvo
11-20-2005, 09:16 PM
really bad overall it is seriously uncool

stmoritzer
11-21-2005, 05:36 AM
one of the firt supercars I knew, a that time cool! --> cool :wink:

elbugalee
11-21-2005, 05:19 PM
uncool

ugly car :\

it's not seriously uncool just because the good engine of this car!

adamwich
11-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Seriously uncool! The car is damn ugly!

crazidude
11-21-2005, 07:47 PM
lol probably one of the ugliest things I have ever laid my eyes on, but since it looks so outrageous I'll say its cool.

jorge
11-21-2005, 07:53 PM
haha I remember when I was at school some kids said it was the best car in the world.. what a POS

doesn't it have a 3 speed auto box ?

Thatīs right 3 speed auto :? :(

antonioledesma
11-21-2005, 10:53 PM
hmmm... :|
don't know. Uncool

skituner
11-21-2005, 11:44 PM
im gunna go with some clarkson logic here and say because its so seriouly uncool it become cool

chest3r
11-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Uncool!!

Actually I don't know anything about this car :? The design is very futuristic but it is a bit ugly.

Anyway, that's always nice to own such a rare model as this one.

Wyclef
11-24-2005, 04:22 PM
im gunna go with some clarkson logic here and say because its so seriouly uncool it become cool

damn right

FoxFour
11-27-2005, 08:02 AM
The designer claimed it would do something like 250 mph. He never backed up that claim. If I remember right, the designer tried to get the car into production many times, one time under the financial direction of a Saudi businessman. I think the Saudi guy gave up on it. The car looks like a train wreck.

TT
11-27-2005, 10:11 AM
BTW, for the records, there is a project to revive Vector in the next years

bski
02-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Wait- this mid-engined supercar has been lumped into the same category as a Chrysler minivan?

Driftzwerg
02-10-2006, 04:38 PM
I voted it seriously uncool. But that's only half true.
I remember buying my first auto catalog in 1990. And I choose the coolest car inside. And it was the Vector W8. Over the years I collected alot of Vector items, and i still love it. Here in Germany we have one of them in the sinsheim automobile museum. And gosh it is gorgeous.
The guys from vector files (I don't know whats's the name of the side now) almost found every single one of them.
The only thing is. it is rubbish:
- 3 speed Auto
- The car breaks down every 100 miles
- Theaerodynamics are stunning, but completley nonsense. Never tested in a wind tunnel.
They built prototypes ever since the late 70's where it was the W2.

Then 17 were built, 13 are claimed to be still existing.
Andre Agassi had one, but sold it immediately (though there was a story, he got an unfinished one, because he wanted it for his birthday)
It had some movie apperances.

The M12 was nonsense. Just a Lambo engine with a different chassis.
They built some more then the W8.
And had a race car which has never finished a race.

Anyway. One of my goals is to own every single one of the W8.
Its judst, you know. Like the first time you have sex.
It is very bad, but you'll never forget.

Athilla
03-27-2006, 04:07 PM
i don't like it .... :? :lol:

bmagni
03-27-2006, 04:38 PM
horrible, terrible, seriously uncool...

kidesprit
04-21-2006, 01:02 AM
While true that the vector was unreliable it has a fantastic exotic design that remains a standout. Besides, when you have the kind of money required to buy a car of this caliber you do what owners of Panteras, Lamborghinis and other exotica have done:you take an existing part and make it better. Check out a red W8 in the Sean Connery & Wesley Snipes film Rising Sun. Subzero all the way! 0X

nthfinity
04-21-2006, 01:10 AM
:rainbowafro: While true that the vector was unreliable it has a fantastic exotic design that remains a standout. Check out a red W8 in the Sean Connery & Wesley Snipes film Rising Sun. 0X

pretty soon, if you stick around; or at least keep up with Nthimage.com; you will learn the 100% true story of the AMAZING vector!

of the 17 cars built, only two have had any issues in the past 14 years beyond general maintainence.

one of them was delivered as a show-car to Andre Agassi; (more on his 72 hour ownership later)
the other was a dying man wanting the fastest car in the world.

there is soooo much misinformation on the W8; where it actually outweighs the real info.... In fact 16/17 cars are located; and the missing one was a Saudi Princes' car before it went missing. the three you dont know about; one belongs to a friend of mine, and the other two were in the Yamatto collection (i believe are now sold, but are tracked)

the aerodynamics are 100% wind tunnel designed and tested

i 100% promise i'll be delivering a story even more complete then this one http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33002 :shock: 8) :!:

this car is absolutely Sub Zero!

Erez
04-21-2006, 01:17 AM
cool in my book.. classic.. :wink:

r2r
04-21-2006, 01:18 AM
pretty soon, if you stick around; or at least keep up with Nthimage.com; you will learn the 100% true story of the AMAZING vector!

of the 17 cars built, only two have had any issues in the past 14 years beyond general maintainence.

one of them was delivered as a show-car to Andre Agassi; (more on his 72 hour ownership later)

there is soooo much misinformation on the W8; where it actually outweighs the real info.... In fact 16/17 cars are located; and the missing one was a Saudi Princes' car before it went missing. the three you dont know about; one belongs to a friend of mine, and the other two were in the Yamatto collection (i believe are now sold, but are tracked)

i 100% promise i'll be delivering a story even more complete then this one http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33002 Shocked Cool Exclamation

There is also a bizare story about the owner of the Vector!

nthfinity
04-21-2006, 01:36 AM
There is also a bizare story about the owner of the Vector!
quite a few bizare stories about Jerry !

http://Serv1.imagehigh.com/files/ih000001/22297_VDF_1.th.jpg (http://Serv1.imagehigh.com/view.php?id=22297_VDF_1.jpg&path=/files/ih000001)

http://Serv1.imagehigh.com/files/ih000001/20520_VDF_2.th.jpg (http://Serv1.imagehigh.com/view.php?id=20520_VDF_2.jpg&path=/files/ih000001)

:) a piece of history I have there ;)

vectorfiles
05-10-2006, 04:27 AM
I voted it seriously uncool. But that's only half true.
I remember buying my first auto catalog in 1990. And I choose the coolest car inside. And it was the Vector W8. Over the years I collected alot of Vector items, and i still love it. Here in Germany we have one of them in the sinsheim automobile museum. And gosh it is gorgeous.
The guys from vector files (I don't know whats's the name of the side now) almost found every single one of them.
The only thing is. it is rubbish:
- 3 speed Auto
- The car breaks down every 100 miles
- Theaerodynamics are stunning, but completley nonsense. Never tested in a wind tunnel.
They built prototypes ever since the late 70's where it was the W2.

Then 17 were built, 13 are claimed to be still existing.
Andre Agassi had one, but sold it immediately (though there was a story, he got an unfinished one, because he wanted it for his birthday)
It had some movie apperances.

The M12 was nonsense. Just a Lambo engine with a different chassis.
They built some more then the W8.
And had a race car which has never finished a race.

Anyway. One of my goals is to own every single one of the W8.
Its judst, you know. Like the first time you have sex.
It is very bad, but you'll never forget.

this is the guy form VECTORfiles.
MY website:

www.drive.to/vector

vectorfiles
05-10-2006, 04:31 AM
:rainbowafro: While true that the vector was unreliable it has a fantastic exotic design that remains a standout. Check out a red W8 in the Sean Connery & Wesley Snipes film Rising Sun. 0X

i 100% promise i'll be delivering a story even more complete then this one http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33002 :shock: 8) :!:

Hi nthimage,

your signature image of the W8 gives some wrong info.
The Michelin XGT tires 200(!) mph approved (not 250),
R&T tested the W8 at 0.97 lateral g (not 1.2)

Also, the VECTOR design has NEVER seeen any windtunnel.
The drag coefficient must be horrible.

I have never heard of any W8 that was taken over 180 mph top speed
and the front end has a lift issue when taken to higher speed which makes the VECTOR most likely the super car most difficult to drive.

I know many W8 onwers and only to have taken their car on the highway at highspeed, one in Japan , one in Germany on the Autobahn.

BUT: yet I do love the design of the car, the overall technical layout plus VECTOR was a one man show in the 70s and 80s.
What Jerry Wiegert achieved with his Vector was way ahead of its time !

It is unfair to compare the VECTOR to any super car that was produced in the 90s, meaning the design is 20 years younger !

It would be like comparing the McLAren F1 to the Bugatti Veyron.
The McLaren has almost No high speed stability either (read the tes reports) whereas the Bugatti rolls like on rails even at top speed.
The F1 has other flaws,too. But for the 90s it was a milestone.
And so was the VECTOR for the 80s.

The major problem for Jerry Wiegert and his creatuion had always been lack of finance. So he came up with the worldīs best super car in the 90s that it would be... in the 80s.

bultaco_metralla
05-10-2006, 05:09 AM
I cant believe thosee seriously uncool, You have to think like people did in the 80's!! today is uncool, but then it was subzero... coool for me!!! Maybe the kids today think that the Delorian is uncool but for me is subzero!!!
!!!
Myabe we could make a Classic coolwall and Coolwall !!! and then compare this vector with the car built that years!! That were ugliest than this vector

TNT
05-10-2006, 10:52 AM
the wannabe Lambo :) but instead of coping them they did the opposite and now look at them.... :lol:

nthfinity
05-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Oh my, where to start... Each stat is true

your signature image of the W8 gives some wrong info.
The Michelin XGT tires 200(!) mph approved (not 250),
R&T tested the W8 at 0.97 lateral g (not 1.2)

The car was tested by another publication to 1.25 G with the suspension adjusted for race set up.... like other hypercars, the suspension is fully adjustable. the tires are also w/out any doubt the first set of street tires approved for 250 mph.... and they are also the only of its type in its size. Michillen discontinued them for obvious reasons... but still wont sell the mold

Also, the VECTOR design has NEVER seeen any windtunnel.
The drag coefficient must be horrible.

Actually it has, and I know the guy who did the work; and its cd. is .32xxxx

I have never heard of any W8 that was taken over 180 mph top speed
and the front end has a lift issue when taken to higher speed which makes the VECTOR most likely the super car most difficult to drive.

I know many W8 onwers and only to have taken their car on the highway at highspeed, one in Japan , one in Germany on the Autobahn.

Andre Agassi took his w/out radiators installed to 220 mph.

The W8 was also tested to 242 mph rpm limited @ boneville. the number was publicized, but retracted after the initial owners couldn't get insurance for thier new car.... also, I know the guy who did this.

As i promiced, I will be bringing the full story to light... I've just been extremely busy.... and have a 12pm EST deadline to meet.

cheers, good to see another Vector lover :)

My information comes from one of the most reliable people, and places possible... no, not Jerry ;)

on a side note, the W8 is slightly hairry at 180 mph, but settles right down at 190 mph... this is the reason why many owners don't taker her up to such high speeds.

if you recall, the F1 had a similar problem at 220 mph, but "settles back down a little above it"

saadie
05-10-2006, 12:01 PM
seriously uncool 25% [ 26 ] .. where do these people come from lmao loosers

except for the rear view mirrors .. this car is just on the top of every other thing thats on the top .. haha

subzero 8)

Pokiou
05-11-2006, 04:53 AM
i picked uncool as it looks like something that came out of a HOTWHEELS box. looks like a kit car.. and to be honest doesnt look to good :(

Pok

Everlasting
05-11-2006, 08:09 PM
i'll try to sum up my thoughts on the car
not a whole lot of ppl recognize this car it's not very well known
i have yet to read about the car's history and such but i can guess it's an attempt by someone to make a very fast car which is always cool
and from what i understand reading some of the posts here, there is some mystery surrounding this car. all the stories about the owners and the maker are strange and numerous which is very cool.
and it's shocking looks are enough reason to brand it as SubZero

u can ether vote seriously uncool or sub zero for this car nothing in the middle should be considered as valid vote

but everyone is entitles to their own opinion i guess

Fleischmann
05-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Seriosuly uncool. Firstly it was a huge commercial flop, with only a few ever purchased for road use. It has no heritage...the name sounds as if it was thought of by a 5 year old during a schoolbreak. Also no prizes when it comes to looks.

Seriously uncool.

IMKAOS
05-15-2006, 04:00 PM
I like the amount of power it makes but unfortunately the looks just kill it for me...

Having said that tho the w8 is alot nicer on the eye than the m12 IMO and if u are still trying to live in the eighties then this is the car for u! :D

nthfinity
05-31-2006, 02:32 PM
http://www.lambo-power.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11522&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=17

:)

gangajas
06-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Seriously uncool- Ugliest supercar ever

nthfinity
06-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Seriously uncool- Ugliest supercar ever

um... you are mistaking that for the McLaren F1 ;) the W8 is HOT HOT HOT! 8)

Boeing 727-200ADv
10-27-2006, 06:41 PM
i would say Sub-Zero but some of yalls would start shootin Stinger missle at me. I vote cool simply cause this is America's only true Supercar and is the only Supercar in the world to crack 220mph all with a 3 gear automatic transmission (GM 350 Turbo Hydromatic tranny). plus it's V-8 jus sounds awesome! 8)

TopGearNL
10-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Well its a supercar thats for sure but due to it not very well known I can only say cool..

nthfinity
10-27-2006, 07:35 PM
i would say Sub-Zero but some of yalls would start shootin Stinger missle at me. I vote cool simply cause this is America's only true Supercar and is the only Supercar in the world to crack 220mph all with a 3 gear automatic transmission (GM 350 Turbo Hydromatic tranny). plus it's V-8 jus sounds awesome! 8)

whoa, looks like somebody needs to read my in-depth article on the Vector W8
:arrow: http://www.jabbasworld.net/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1640

a Jabbasworld exclusive you know ;)

BTW, welcome to JW Boeing; good to see another Vector W8 lover here :)

nthfinity
10-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Seriosuly uncool. Firstly it was a huge commercial flop, with only a few ever purchased for road use. It has no heritage...the name sounds as if it was thought of by a 5 year old during a schoolbreak. Also no prizes when it comes to looks.

Seriously uncool.

First;

When the Indonesians illegally took over the company, they had over 50 orders in que; and about 8 chassis in various states of progress. In fact, Vector had to limit orders due to knowning they couldn't meet huge production numbers right off the bat.

Heritage?
try 15 years in auto magazines wowing the automotive journalists with the amazing W2... making a car go 237 mph in 1980 on current cafe/smog requirements is no easy feat ;)... let alone in 1992

Name, when you see its style, could it be anything besides "vector"?

style
eye of the beholder mate ;)

bmwdriver
11-01-2006, 05:25 AM
ugly, maybe a rare car, but uncool to me

kldconcept
11-11-2006, 04:13 AM
good link

the new forum Fector Fan Club
http://vectorclub.free.fr/fo_vf/

:wink:

yg60m
11-11-2006, 04:47 AM
good link

the new forum Fector Fan Club
http://vectorclub.free.fr/fo_vf/

:wink:

Thank you mate :D Very interesting !

_HighVoltage_
07-24-2007, 06:25 AM
I think it is subzero. I like the concealed headlamps, I like the scissor doors, the fat tires, the low profile and the right angles. It did copy the Countach to a point but still had charecter of its own. For me it is the best supercar for a wallposter.
..Mind you, a wallposter was the only thing the car was ever good at. The road cars were a complete disaster. Most of the cars broke down because the turbos developed so much power that the Donnovan block couldn't handle properly. The interior was from a jet fighter and looked horrible and unreadable. They also lied about the speed - it looked aerodynamic but it actually wasn't. It could only do around 190mph and not the claimed 230.
The car was like the Voodoo computer videocards - lots of promises, big powerful "engine" (4 CPU-s on one card!) but at the end it turned out awful and uncompetitive. But I still love the Voodoo cards, in the same way that I love the Vector W8. Sub-Zero!

nthfinity
07-24-2007, 08:54 AM
I think it is subzero. I like the concealed headlamps, I like the scissor doors, the fat tires, the low profile and the right angles. It did copy the Countach to a point but still had charecter of its own. For me it is the best supercar for a wallposter.
..Mind you, a wallposter was the only thing the car was ever good at. The road cars were a complete disaster. Most of the cars broke down because the turbos developed so much power that the Donnovan block couldn't handle properly. The interior was from a jet fighter and looked horrible and unreadable. They also lied about the speed - it looked aerodynamic but it actually wasn't. It could only do around 190mph and not the claimed 230.
The car was like the Voodoo computer videocards - lots of promises, big powerful "engine" (4 CPU-s on one card!) but at the end it turned out awful and uncompetitive. But I still love the Voodoo cards, in the same way that I love the Vector W8. Sub-Zero!

welcome to JW dood :)

First, the W8 had the Rodeck Y block in 366 cubes, not the Donnovan with 350 cubes. The donnovan block wasn't reslevable, but itself had over 200,000 miles on it w/out breaking. The Donnovan block was only in the prototype W2.

The W2 had just a few instances of overheating... not because the turbo's produced too much power, but because there was an air-bubble in the radiators... once drained, and refilled... all was perfect for runs through 242 mph. Every W8 will reach that speed if it has been properly maintained. There is currently one car out there that isn't "up to date" and people have experience with 008 for years being broken down on the side of the road.... until Michael owned the car, and restored it... it was in terrible condition by no fault of Vector's.

I personally have been 147 mph in a W8 after it had been on for about 40 minutes... there were no signs of the coolant over heating on the electro luminescent display even under full acceleration. This particular W8 makes 749 hp on pump gas and low boost.

Compared to other 200-220 mph cars I've driven, and been in, the W8 feels faster then a Porsche CGT even at 140 mph... much faster then the Ford GT at the same speed range, and not far behind the Enzo once the W8 shifts into top gear... but it is ahead from 80 to 160.

The one I was in did 5-150 in 12 seconds... Who said it can only do 190? LOL The car was honed in the wind tunnel one of the Big 3 owned (chrysler? i forget) prior to performing DOT crash testing in Ann Arbor, MI. ... the car proved to be very aero-efficiant, with a few small issues.. which is why later W8's have different facias, and air scoops instead of the gills on the first ones.

the ELD is very readable, and most cars include a HUD as well.
http://nthimage.com/Detroit/photoshoots/Vector_W8_15_S2/Vector_W8_int_2.jpg
http://nthimage.com/Detroit/photoshoots/Vector_W8_chassis_15_s2.htm
The interior is full leather, and costom appolstery... when comparing to the interiors of the other supercars of its era (EB110, XJ220, F40, F1) the W8 is the most comfortable to ride in, and on par or better then the others' interiors. 1990-93 is very different to today's interiors. Vector w8 012 has the most exotic interior seen until the Zonda came out.

The circuit breaker/fuse box is right out of aerospace technology... F16 to be precise... and proves very usefull to an owner of a W8.

The whole of the car is designed to last the life of the owner... over the last 15 years, some things corrode, and break... but cheap items, like electric fans, and wiring inside a steering wheel... but changing the fluids 2x a year, or more depending on how many miles you put on will make the car last your lifetime. 90% of the parts on the mechanical side of the Vector are still made today.. a direct result of the close association with racing technologies.

Each W8 will do 242 mph from the factory. The reason why they later claimed "200+" was because the first owners of the first deliveries were unable to get insurance on the Vector W8. In order to right the situation, all published material was changed to "200+". When Agassi illegally drove his W8 from his birthday party to Vegas (and broke down 1/2 there w/out all the radiators installed... driving it broke contract with Vector since it wasn't complete) he locked the engine at 200 mph, and was running 220 mph for a fair distance.... without all the radiators installed!

At the time of the W8's release, there was nothing street legal and a production car that could compete with that speed, and the underwriters of the insurance companies saw impossibilities and 240 mph accidents waiting to happen... the EB110/ F40/ XJ220/ F1 either couldn't come close to that speed, or hadn't been tested and published at that time.

_HighVoltage_
08-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Thank You very much for sharing this information! I still hate the interior though...Why would you need all the switches and knobs and aircraft equipment? It's just a bit over the top.
I'm just curious, based on what are you so sure that the W8 will do 242mph? I know it is do-able and W8 technology on paper was up to the job, but then why do all official sources say it can't reach this speed(even car magazines). Insurance can't be the only reason for this.

nthfinity
08-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Thank You very much for sharing this information! I still hate the interior though...Why would you need all the switches and knobs and aircraft equipment? It's just a bit over the top.
I'm just curious, based on what are you so sure that the W8 will do 242mph? I know it is do-able and W8 technology on paper was up to the job, but then why do all official sources say it can't reach this speed(even car magazines). Insurance can't be the only reason for this.

the car is slightly unstable at 180-190 mph, then settles down right into 242 mph. It takes balls to drive a car that fast on the street... and an amount of stupidity... and it had been done 3 times on PCH in the early 90's. Each car, prior to delivery was run to over 220 mph with no issue.

Where is a magazine going to test a car's top speed? at the time, they didn't do such things very often... let alone, had things like Vbox, or some other similar equipment.

All official sources say "200+" for insurance reasons at that time... the automotive press took that as saying that Weigart couldn't come through on his over-the-top claims.

However, several publications did test W8's to their true top speed... car and Driver, as well as Top Wheels (now defunct).

As to why a W8 has circuit breakers like a lear jet, rather then a simple fusebox? Several... less heat, easier access, never need replacing, and incredibly easy to reset and diagnose... something that doesn't exist on any supercar today, unfortunatley... all aimed at the driver.

Today, such a setup may be hidden behind plush leather... but still is ahead of current standards by a longshot.

philip
08-06-2007, 07:00 PM
I notice JW has a Vector in the heading bar. For a twenty year old car is still looks pretty good.

When it came out it was the "it" car.

I believe it will be collectible because during those dark times it was unbeatable.

It suffers from the same disenchantment that other cars produced around the same time have. The Ferrari 512 BB and Testarosa still do not command the high prices of the earlier Ferraris. That may change. The Vector was made in very small quantities and certainly if you have 150K extra laying around it might not be a bad wager.

sameerrao
08-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Back in the 80s, I thought it looked incredibly exotic with its shape and aerospace technology. But now after all these years, its just another supercar. There are are many other supercars that are lot cooler in my book.

nthfinity
08-06-2007, 10:49 PM
It suffers from the same disenchantment that other cars produced around the same time have. The Ferrari 512 BB and Testarosa still do not command the high prices of the earlier Ferraris. That may change. The Vector was made in very small quantities and certainly if you have 150K extra laying around it might not be a bad wager.

The only Vector you'll find for 150K is a M12.... maybe, at which, its not a true Vector anymore... and likely isn't in that good condition. W8's in good condition are commanding $1,000,000+ lately ;) so good luck finding one at 150k lol

The W8 was designed as a pre production car in 1989, and produced from 1990-1993 (very early 1993) before the illegal takeover. Comparing it to a 512 Boxer is WAYYYYYY off.

Comparing the W-2 vs. the Countach, and Testerossa was common, and it knocked the socks off both of them in terms of handling, and accelleration, and stopping....

the cars to compare against the W8 would be the XJ220, F40, F50, McLaren F1, Bugatti EB110

philip
08-06-2007, 11:52 PM
From the 2006 Sports Car Market Pocket Price Guide

Vector W8 85-92, 18 made, low price $100,000 high price $130,000, Grade D Rating ** out of ***** recent price change -12%

as a comparison

Lamborghini LP5000QV 85-88 610 made, low price $65,000 high price $90,000, Grade B Rating **** recent price change 7%

** Appreciation rating -somewhat overpriced, out of favor
D Investment Grade -failed to be successful in the collector car market place for example NSX

These are old guys and they tend to like older cars, but their price guides are fairly accurate.

Two W8's sold at a DEA auction recently that may have lowered the numbers for the car. One if I remember correctly only sold for $70,000, did I read about it here.

If I see one sell, I'll post it here.

With only 18 made a pretty rare bird, would make a really good risk to buy at such a low price.

nthfinity
08-07-2007, 12:37 AM
From the 2006 Sports Car Market Pocket Price Guide

Vector W8 85-92, 18 made, low price $100,000 high price $130,000, Grade D Rating ** out of ***** recent price change -12%

as a comparison

Lamborghini LP5000QV 85-88 610 made, low price $65,000 high price $90,000, Grade B Rating **** recent price change 7%

** Appreciation rating -somewhat overpriced, out of favor
D Investment Grade -failed to be successful in the collector car market place for example NSX

These are old guys and they tend to like older cars, but their price guides are fairly accurate.

Two W8's sold at a DEA auction recently that may have lowered the numbers for the car. One if I remember correctly only sold for $70,000, did I read about it here.

If I see one sell, I'll post it here.

With only 18 made a pretty rare bird, would make a really good risk to buy at such a low price.

There is one being offered relatively low.... but only because of the stigma in Japan associated with teh W8 being associated with the mob... and the current "owner" being associated with being a crook himself (and the means of him buying the car) Also, that is the ONLY one that "sold" at such a low number.... this is the other white Vector... it is worth about 800-1M in its current condition... and is a steal if you can get the car...

The one that sold into florida recently wen for WAYYYY more. SCM have the vector WAYYYYYY off... none sold at any DEA auction in 2005... there were some oddities in the early 2000's... but none were a good condition car.

Not one high quality vector has gone to auction in a VERY long time.

silentm
08-07-2007, 07:29 AM
i voted cool because it looks like a friggin' spaceship and i half expect aliens to step out of it evertime i see photos :D

spanky
08-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Never liked it....So uncool for me but each to their own...

Mattk
08-07-2007, 09:14 AM
It looked awkward the first time I saw a picture of it, and it has never really grown on me.

philip
08-07-2007, 10:45 AM
With only 18 on Earth, you may not get a chance to own a "nice" one, you may have to take what you can get and "restore" it.

nthfinity
08-07-2007, 12:05 PM
With only 18 on Earth, you may not get a chance to own a "nice" one, you may have to take what you can get and "restore" it.

17 production cars
2 pre production cars
2 avtech concept/prototypes
1 W2 prototype

And... only one is left that is in poor form... and that is exactly what I intend to do when the owner agrees to release it to me ;)

at one time, there were a total of 4 cars that were in poor condition, and 3 of them were "regularly" changing hands when they realized what they were up against in terms of restoration.

one traded hands for 1.2 Million last year, the other for a very high undisclosed amount after being restored, and the final one remains in the original owners hands after it being "stolen" and is 100% restored with exception to one $20k piece... which may have been resolved now.

the final one is i working order.. but far from being as original... the owner likes it, and likes doing things his own way w/out the knowledge of the original builders of the car to bring it back to the way it should be.

the one in Japan is a steal if somebody can buy it.

again... SCM is way off base here.

_HighVoltage_
08-08-2007, 07:59 AM
nthfinity, I'm sorry is your family name by any chance Wiegert? :D
One thing I don't understand is, how come there are no Vector replicas? There are thousands of Pontiac Fiero's turned into Countaches and Tesstarossas but no W8...
Still, if I had a million dollars to spare, I would buy a 5000QV and a Diablo VT, get them to a Lambo dealership and pay whatever amount it is to replace the original electrics with new Murcielago ones:) Is it that hard to make a supercar-daily-driver? :)

nthfinity
08-11-2007, 12:39 AM
nthfinity, I'm sorry is your family name by any chance Wiegert? :D
One thing I don't understand is, how come there are no Vector replicas? There are thousands of Pontiac Fiero's turned into Countaches and Tesstarossas but no W8...
Still, if I had a million dollars to spare, I would buy a 5000QV and a Diablo VT, get them to a Lambo dealership and pay whatever amount it is to replace the original electrics with new Murcielago ones:) Is it that hard to make a supercar-daily-driver? :)

Some people are passionate about knowing the VIN's of every super ferrari...

Thats fine if you want a 5000QV... i'm a fan of the LP400 myself... and a 99 Diablo wouldn't be bad...

The vector is unreplicable. interor, and exterior, and chassis... even using cheap materials rather then Carbon Kevlar.

PorscheRS
08-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Not cool, where the Countach still is a good looking car, this car, especially the back looks very bad. And the production numbers say enough.

philip
08-20-2007, 04:04 PM
I was at the Monterey Historics this weekend. Saturday night in Carmel (near Monterey, Clint Eastwood was mayor), there were two W8's parked on Ocean Drive near the center of town. Across the street were parked at least 5 new Ferraris and a Carrera GT. The W8's pretty well held there own as far a gawkers were concerned.

I had never seen them in real life and they are very good looking cars. Extremely low to the ground.

With seeing two at once that must be at least 10% of the running cars in the world.

One was a convertable.

I'll post photos in the what I saw section tonight.

nthfinity
08-20-2007, 07:52 PM
I was at the Monterey Historics this weekend. Saturday night in Carmel (near Monterey, Clint Eastwood was mayor), there were two W8's parked on Ocean Drive near the center of town. Across the street were parked at least 5 new Ferraris and a Carrera GT. The W8's pretty well held there own as far a gawkers were concerned.

I had never seen them in real life and they are very good looking cars. Extremely low to the ground.

With seeing two at once that must be at least 10% of the running cars in the world.

One was a convertable.

I'll post photos in the what I saw section tonight.

those were the two AWX-3 and AWX-3R prototypes. Neither was a W8, but it is based on the same chassis. Today, there isn't one known car that does not run. The car in the Saudi royal family hasn't been seen in 15 years however... chances are it is still in the Palace on showcase.

While the style of those cars is more resolved in the rear, they are not of production build quality.

formulastig
05-28-2008, 11:02 AM

Its the same way people look at a stripper with big boobs and a thong. Sure they are going to turn heads but in the end, no one really wants them for long.

Weigart was full of too much BS for too long and his products never lived up to his mouth. A supercar with a clunky GM 3 speed automatic, really freaking exotic.

nthfinity
05-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Its the same way people look at a stripper with big boobs and a thong. Sure they are going to turn heads but in the end, no one really wants them for long.

Weigart was full of too much BS for too long and his products never lived up to his mouth. A supercar with a clunky GM 3 speed automatic, really freaking exotic.

Only the housing was was a GM part, the internals of the rachet shift automatic are quite exotic materials, including the helical gear... the housing had to be re machined in order to meet Vector specifications.

styla21
05-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Biggest ego-trippin' bunch of rookies I have ever met. The car is all show, no engineering; it's all about huge HP to create marketing hype, and support a public listing so they can bank a big cheque.
Oh, and while you're at it check out some of their hybrid jet-skis that they also want you to invest in.
*Runs.

nthfinity
05-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Biggest ego-trippin' bunch of rookies I have ever met. The car is all show, no engineering; it's all about huge HP to create marketing hype, and support a public listing so they can bank a big cheque.
Oh, and while you're at it check out some of their hybrid jet-skis that they also want you to invest in.
*Runs.

"rookies.... koenigsegg still don't have a quality product over a decade on, and have delivered less then 10 per year since production actually started.

Vector created a car that would last the life of the owner, if that isn't over-engineering, I dont know what is.

You met any of the engineers on the project? I have, and regularly converse with one of them.

HP wasn't the marketing "hype" the top speed was.... Vector lowered it to officially "625 guarenteed hp, and 200+ mph" while most cars have well over 650, and each car will do 242 mph given enough space.

In the video I made, that was a 5 mph-150 mph in a scant 12 seconds.... An Enzo would be near there 10 years later.

Jet Bike was sold off in the 70's, then bought back for who knows what reason. I won't defend Jerry's goofy salesman status. But the car is one of marvels of automotive engineering the world has ever seen.

formulastig
09-25-2008, 01:57 PM
But the car is one of marvels of automotive engineering the world has ever seen.

I want what you're smoking.

nthfinity
09-25-2008, 03:08 PM
I want what you're smoking.
Sorry, don't smoke. :)

However, if you knew anything about the car, then you'd agree :)

kach22i
09-25-2008, 03:51 PM
I almost peed my pants when following a Vector last year in my old Porsche 911, it's an exciting car to say the least.

The only down side is my lungs were burning from the smell of racing gas. A pain I look foreward to experiencing again one day.

Awesome car, off the charts cool.

kach22i
10-12-2008, 11:10 AM
FYI: on flea-bay right now

Item number: 320303399772http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/rtCurve.gif
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/globalAssets/ltCurve.gif

1999 Lamborghini : Vector M12

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Lamborghini-Vector-M12-1999-Vector-M12-American-Exotic-Diablo-V-12-drivetrain_W0QQitemZ320303399772QQihZ011QQcategory Z6290QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

HeilSvenska
10-12-2008, 11:34 AM
^Hooray. It comes with my favorite Lamborghini engine!

nthfinity
10-12-2008, 02:31 PM
^Hooray. It comes with my favorite Lamborghini engine!
not the SE30 Jota V12?

HeilSvenska
10-12-2008, 07:04 PM
not the SE30 Jota V12?
Well. I like any 5.7L Lamborghini V12, although I'm partial to the SV trim. I just don't think the new Lambos bellow enough.

liveaxle
11-23-2008, 09:53 PM
I'll make it short: Bad taste plastic barge from the 80's with automatic transmission.
I can't be bothered to write more.

formulastig
03-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I'll make it short: Bad taste plastic barge from the 80's with automatic transmission.

Well said.

nthfinity
03-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Plastic? You mean Carbon Kevlar, right? You know it was built 1990-1993, right?
The slowest of the W8's in the 1/4 were 12.0 @ 128 mph. All of them can run race fuel, and have a manual boost controller and are reliable/ capable of 1200 hp on 110 octane. The transmission is more than just a typical automatic. Most supercars today have automatics... The primary reason for the automatic was there was no manual that proved robust enough for long term reliability. Companies like the McLaren with their F1 didn't care.

The interior is filled with bespoke leather upholstry, recaro's, and cockpit technology right out of the F16, and F117A.

HeilSvenska
03-11-2009, 03:42 PM
^I hate ignorance, don't you?

nthfinity
03-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Vector W8 Twin Turbo - YouTube

Little video I took the other day. Audio quality is horrible; but still one cool cat :)

Evo8
03-18-2009, 03:42 PM
An absolutely subzero thing. It really went full speed ahead with the wedge shape, it has a completely extreme sleek design, it's exclusive. A car that cool, even an automatic gearbox can't spoil.

nthfinity
03-22-2009, 02:30 AM
http://www.photolocker.net/images/Nthfinity/otexhaustvectorw8s.jpg

Red-Hot pipes in there :) Naturally... the same exhaust that are on Indy cars ( at least in the early 1990s... they expand and contract in such a way that the manifold doesn't crack. Traditional headers do.

30s exposure, with a cell phone light.

10000rpmlover
03-22-2009, 05:22 AM
BTW, for the records, there is a project to revive Vector in the next years

I hope that if that happens they at least ditch the auto box and the lambo engines all together, I think Chrysler has a lot of extra V10 engines from unsold vipers they could use