PDA

View Full Version : Senator Wants to Fry File Sharing Comps!!!! Go Nuts Mihai !!

Anonymous
06-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Ok read this now..... I gaurantee Mihai wil be loading his guns..... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

The surprise statement by Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, that he favors developing technology to remotely destroy computers used for illegal downloads represents a dramatic escalation in the increasingly contentious rhetoric over pirated music.

During a discussion of methods to frustrate computer users who illegally exchange music and movie files over the Internet, Hatch asked technology executives about ways to damage computers involved in such file trading. Legal experts have said any such attack would violate federal antihacking laws.

"No one is interested in destroying anyone's computer," replied Randy Saaf of MediaDefender, a secretive Los Angeles company that builds technology to deliberately download pirated material very slowly so other users can't.

"I'm interested," Hatch interrupted. He said damaging someone's computer "may be the only way you can teach somebody about copyrights."

The senator, a composer who earned $18,000 last year in songwriting royalties, acknowledged Congress would have to enact an exemption for copyright owners from liability for damaging computers. He endorsed technology that would twice warn a computer user about illegal online behavior, "then destroy their computer."

"If we can find some way to do this without destroying their machines, we'd be interested in hearing about that," Hatch said. "If that's the only way, then I'm all for destroying their machines. If you have a few hundred thousand of those, I think people would realize" the seriousness of their actions.

"There's no excuse for anyone violating copyright laws," Hatch said.

Some legal experts suggested Hatch's provocative remarks were more likely intended to compel technology and music executives to work faster toward ways to protect copyrights online than to signal forthcoming legislation.

"It's just the frustration of those who are looking at enforcing laws that are proving very hard to enforce," said Orin Kerr, a George Washington University law professor and former Justice Department cybercrimes prosecutor.

"The rights of copyright holders need to be protected, but some Draconian remedies that have been suggested would create more problems than they would solve," Leahy said in a statement. "We need to work together to find the right answers, and this is not one of them."

Rep. Rick Boucher (D-Va.) urged Hatch to reconsider. Because Hatch is Judiciary chairman, "we all take those views very seriously," he said. But Kerr said Congress was unlikely to approve any bill to enable such remote computer destruction by copyright owners "because innocent users might be wrongly targeted."

A spokesman for the Recording Industry Association of America, Jonathan Lamy, said Hatch was "apparently making a metaphorical point that if peer-to-peer networks don't take reasonable steps to prevent massive copyright infringement on the systems they create, Congress may be forced to consider stronger measures." The RIAA represents the major music labels.

The entertainment industry has gradually escalated its fight against Internet file traders, targeting the most egregious pirates with civil lawsuits. The RIAA recently won a federal court decision making it significantly easier to identify and track consumers -- even those hiding behind aliases -- using popular Internet file-sharing software.

TT
06-29-2003, 04:26 PM
Scary, for sure.. but I seriously doubt such things will happen... they just want to scare poor p2p users ;)

crochico
06-29-2003, 04:32 PM
"I'm interested," Hatch interrupted. He said damaging someone's computer "may be the only way you can teach somebody about copyrights."

The senator, a composer who earned $18,000 last year in songwriting royalties

"There's no excuse for anyone violating copyright laws," Hatch said.

so basically this old-fart senator, i've hated him ever since i was a little child, wants to protect his own ass and make sure royalties keep coming into his wallet for songs he's written, which most of us never heard, will never download nor will ever care to download... if we were to continue using his rationale to deal with "piracy and theft", would we would bomb anyone's house that is equipped with illegal satelite?.. well, there goes 70% of my neighborhood

BADMIHAI
06-29-2003, 04:45 PM
My AKM-47 is waiting for them!
So they're saying they have the right to fucking walk all over my constitutional rights, over my privacy and on most things that keep our democracy from turning into an anarchy, but I don't have the right to download music! That is bull shit! I'm looking forward to the Russian hackers fucking up their systems.

666fast
06-29-2003, 04:48 PM
Heh, they left out the best part. His website is using an unlicensed copy of a javascript program called Milonic Soltions. If his idea were to make it through, he himself would be guilty.
This idea is just as dumb as the states that banned firewalls. They think they know whats best but actually have no fucking clue.

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,59305,00.html

I don't use Kazaa for music. I also don't buy that many CD's. I won't buy a CD untill I have heard the entire thing. I get seriously pissed when I shell out $15 for 2 good songs. I'll listen to it get overplayed on the radio and then I'll forget about it. I won't pay the the over inflated price of a CD for a few good songs. I'll live without it. The RIAA and others who want to shut down Kazaa and sue it's users are going about it the entirely wrong way. They are only gonna piss people off and end up sueing a bunch of poor college students.

The RIAA and Senator fuckwad can kiss my ass. If I get a notice of being sued by the RIAA, I'm gonna tell them to piss off.

They also seem to be forgetting the fact that if they do shutdown Kazaa, soemthing bigger, better and more secure will popup. It'll never end. The RIAA needs to crawl from out under the rock and Senator Orrin "the queef" Hatch needs to be put under one.

This bill gets approved and my computer gets destroyed, I'll sue Hatch himself for destruction of property.

BADMIHAI
06-29-2003, 04:52 PM
What he's doing makes Bush look like a kid. He bombed already fucked up countries for terrorism and killing inocent peeps. Imagine if this old fucktard would be president of the U.S.!!!! This might be the guy to take your anti-terrorism plan to action, KH! Fuck....if this guy was president, Armagheddon would probabily be tomorrow!

So if they destroy my computer for downloading illegal stuff, it would be O.K to beat the living crap out of someone for throwing a paper on the sidewalk......at least cut the arm they threw it with, so they will learn. I guess we could warn them twice, and then proceed to cutting their arm. What the fuck is this? The Middle East?

BADMIHAI
06-29-2003, 04:58 PM
This reminds me of the joke that's been in my family for more than a few generations.

Enzo was on a date with his girl. They were walking in the park, when they take a detour through the forest. The forest was more isolated, so they lay down to rest. Enzo urges the girl to have sex with him, but she tells him: "Mom said I should say NO to everything you ask me to do". In true inspiration, Enzo tells her: "Would you mind sucking my dick?"

This is gonna happen to these motherfuckers. This joke has many hidden meanings, and it can be used in many ways. This is one. I hope you guys catch on to the analogy in this context.

666fast
06-29-2003, 05:01 PM
If Hatch were president, I'd be packing my shit up right now and be leavign the states. New Zealand sounds quite nice.

As for Bush, don't even get me started on him. He hasn't done too bad as a president. But the whole war with no justification, the fact that he wasn't elected democratically and the fact that he only cares about his bank account is enough for me to wish he wasn't president.
Al Gore wouldn't have been much better, but at least he had soem intelligence to him. Bush is a freaking moron. Ralph Nader would make a better president than Bush. Jesse Ventura should have run, he would make a good president.

Anonymous
06-29-2003, 05:18 PM
That dood is a freakin jiz suckin POS LOL damaging peoples computers..... That sounds like a gud way to get hurt seriously..... You know what else there working on a file that will slow your comp down 90% connection wise and delete all MP3's it finds on your comp thats why Im safe, all my music is in OGG files :) :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: