PDA

View Full Version : car photoshoots advices needed

MIHALS
10-30-2005, 04:28 PM
because I've got camera (minolta dimage A200, tripod and polarizer), which is finaly good enough for photoshoots (and I've got already signed one for next saturday), I'd like to have as much as possible advices about photoshoots please!!! this is mainly questions for TitanBoy, because his pics are the best on JW IMO :shock: :D

1) what time of the day is the best for photoshoot?
I know it depends on what kind of weather is that day and many things... but roughly...

2) where the sun should be, when taking pics?
I've got the polarizer, so I just want to know, if it's better to have sun in the back (well, my shadow will be on the pic), or from the side...

3) what speed and F number to use?
again, I know it depends on the light temperature, but still... roughly...???

4) do you always use tripod for the static pics, even when is sunny? (just to make sure pics are sharp)

if you have some more advices, please, share them, as I'm the "half new" in photography and want to be as good as possible (maybe do it as a job). thank you very much for your time
:wink: :!:

Titanboy_24
10-30-2005, 06:09 PM
1) Usually the best time for photo shoots is in the early morning or late evening. These times proved the best lighting which is soft and won't create as many blown (over exposed) areas on the car.

2) There's no set rule for where the sun should be on a shoot, it all depends on the car. Some cars may look beter with side lighting, while others from the front. Experiment with different angles by moving the car around to see which light looks best.

3) Try experimenting with different depths of field. Stand further away from the car and zoom in, this puts the car in focus and the backround slightly blurred.

4) Personally I don't use a tripod except for low light situations. I have a VR (vibration reduction) lens, so this also helps. It would probally be best for you to use a tripod, but not necessary.

If you are doing a shoot with someone elses car don't be afraid to ask them to move it around. By doing this you can find out the lighting and also get more creative angles. Also, try find a suitable location for the car. The backround should not distract from the car itself and make sure there are no lightpoles or other objects in the backround that will attract attension.

It also helps to do a little reaserch on the car you are going to shoot. Look at lots of pictures and firmilliarise yourself with the different features of the car. This will help you get creative angles and interesting detail shots.

most importantly, have fun! You will only get better through experience. Make sure to post the pics after the shoot. What type of car are you shooting?

Many other people on this board are knowledgeable about photography, so their advice will also be valuable to you.

Hope that helps!

Lucas

TT
10-30-2005, 06:19 PM
1) I agree, early or late, only problem can be shadows. If you already picked a location, be sure to check out where the shadows are in the morning and evening.

2) anything goes, just avoid it beeing low behind the car :D with the polarizer you won't have any other major problem

3) No fixed rules... you just have to test. Actually since you have some time, go out and test everything on cars on the road, friends' cars... would be a pity so screw up a photoshoot

4) No, only use it when it's dark and and can't have enough shutter speed at the given F seetting.

Yeh, don't be afraid to move the car. Also, pick at least two different locations if possible to have some variety. Don't forget the way the wheels are turned ;)
Oh and of course, NEVER use the flash. Only when you have big balls professional ones it can be worth, if not, it will just be crap.

komotar
10-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Best time morning and early evening. And I love to take pics with the cloudy sky. Dark clouds.

Don't ust a tripod unless it's night....

Some cars love to be photographed from below. Some not. But like TT said, experience is the best teacher.

And yes, don't use the flash. You'll murder the pic.

All in all, what the first two said 8)

Oh, and take as much detailed photos as you can :oops: I love them 8)

MIHALS
10-30-2005, 06:35 PM
thank you guys for advices!!! really apreciate!!!
turned wheels are the sure thing, no flash? I'm not crazy to use it :mrgreen: ...

my first car will probably be black Peugeot 206 I think RC (as I heard it's sportlooking 206), then I'd like to shoot my housemate's silver 3000 GTO beautifully tuned and then just nock on the door round the corner and kindly ask the owner, if he wants to make a shoot with his 2 moths "old" megane renault sport in that beautiful orange. hopefully I'll do well and will get some contacts - fingers crossed :|

TT
10-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Oh yes, also important. remeber to stay far from the car most of the time and use your zoom (optical only), this way you will avoid having the car deformed by the lense's shape

MIHALS
10-30-2005, 06:45 PM
ah yes, that's what I wanted to ask about :D
sure, it's still better to do some cropping in PS, than have not enough space when modifying :wink: and my digi zoom is switched off for good since I opened the box with camera :wink:
I've learned some things on the streets already and when I was in london's Lambo dealership and the other showroom, I was just missing the tripod, polarizer and had old 2,1 MPix camera... this will be completely different I guess :D

TT
10-30-2005, 07:10 PM
I wasn't talking really about having more space around the car. you can stay 10 meters away from the car and zoom on it as much as you want, to have it completely fill the frame if you want. But staying far away, the car will look much better than from up close. In the latter case you end up wth a slight fisheye effet because the lense isn't flat anyway

MIHALS
10-30-2005, 07:20 PM
yep, got it TT :wink:

OT
how can you add posts with cool head after todays experience :mrgreen: :?:

still smiling? :D

TT
10-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Dude, I am still smiling for an Enzo ride happened in 2004 :D such things never fade away :D

MIHALS
10-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Dude, I am still smiling for an Enzo ride happened in 2004 :D such things never fade away :D

I was thinking about "your" Enzo, when was reading about Modena :wink:

but back to this topic's discussion :wink:

Lucas said: Stand further away from the car and zoom in, this puts the car in focus and the backround slightly blurred

does it mean this?: point at the car and while zooming in, take the pics? but that means that I'll loose the aretation... :? or how did he mean that blury surroundings?

TT
10-30-2005, 07:53 PM
Uhm, well, actually the more you stay away zooming on the car, the less "deep" the focusing will go behind it. No idea exactly why technically, but it's like that. Of course by blocking your F to the max you will slightly avoid it, but well, it's cool sometime to have a very blurry background. That said, when you pick a nice scenic location, you don't want to really frame very tight around the car.
And no, you can't shoot while zooming, you need a special lense to do so ;)
Again, this week try to take pics standing close to a car and then step some meters away and do the same after having zoomed in, you will see what we mean

MIHALS
10-30-2005, 07:59 PM
ok, thanks again, I apreciate all your infos!!! I've got day off on wed, so I can go trying some "tricks" :D

ae86_16v
11-26-2005, 04:12 AM
And how did the lessons go? :D

Zot09
11-26-2005, 04:18 AM
When it comes to the issue of using a tripod or not, I always use one when I have the time, even if I have an extremely fast. The reason is because it helps in the composition of the image. It can help prevent a tilted image, etc.

MIHALS
11-26-2005, 05:24 PM
And how did the lessons go? :D

in the midle of the page :wink:

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27976&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=100

MIHALS
12-14-2005, 02:47 PM
guys, I 'm just going out to see, if I can take some car-shots... is the polarizer worth to take with me, when taking pics in the dark, so the focus time is about 15 sec.? I mean the polarizer is quite dark and sometimes gives me problem to focus with it.... will the result be so different? Thanx again for advice!!!

TT
12-14-2005, 02:50 PM
See ICQ :P