PDA

View Full Version : Brocks 10th win-Holden Monaro 1-2 Finish @ Bathurst 24hr

Kangaroo Boy
11-24-2003, 10:09 PM
Well,What a weekend at Bathurst.We had the Four seasons (Rain,Storm,wind,hot) all weekend.Add that kinda of Weather to a 24hr race,you know its going to be a race to remeber.We got there at bathurst early Saturday Morning.We Decide to camp at the top of the Mountain at Skyline.We setup and went to bed in the wet muddy ground.

The Next Morning,I woke to the Noise of Porsches Screaming past my tent as we pitch the tent 10 metre from the track,.The track was flooded and the fog was thick as.Anyway,We Watch the Carrera Cup while having Breakfast.The race was can half way through due to the track conditions.
Next event was the V8 Brute(holden Utes VS Falcon Utes).I knew this was going to be fun to watch.And I was right.As they had a partatice lap,one of the Holden utes went into the wall at 140km/hr sideways.Right in front of us.The Front end was smashed up.The track was so wet,it was impossible to go around the corner without getting sideways,I Dunno who won??Anyway,They had the holden Storm riders next with some insane stunt driving that you proably only see in FNF.And then they had some old school Group A Touring Cars from the late 80s.Including a R32 GTR skyline.

By the time that all happend,it was 2 pm and it was time for the big race.The Holden Monaros where Placed on pole.But I was more keen to watch the porsche 911 GT3 RC and GT3 RS.The Porsche look quicker than the Monaros and sounded alot louder.But Proably my favourite car there was the Lmaborghini Diablo GT-R.The sound of that V12 was like awesome,.Nothing on the road came close to it.The Weather kept changing every hour.One minute it was Hot and the next there was a thunder storm.By tea time,I was on the Piss.And watching both the race and the Rugby Union world cup.As the World Cup started,a BMW 23M coupe went off the track hovering above the sand trap and straight into the tyrer wall then hit it and rolled on to its roof.The driver was trap for 15 minutes in the car.From that time,I was on the piss and I can't remeber much then a honda S2000 Spining right in front of us and saving it before going to the concrete wall.

I fell asleep at 2.30am.And didn't woke up till 7.30am on sunday morning.The Monaro where in the lead.We packed up and then headed down the bottom of the chase and watch the cars coming down the mountain hitting speeds of 270km/hr.By Lunch time the brock Monaro was in a Dual to over take the 427 Monaro,.And 1 hr short of the finish the 427 Monaro had to come in to check the Diff.The Brock 05 Monaro was in the lead but with the 427 Monaro right on its heels,one slip up and brock would loose his 10th.One the last lap one the porsche Crashed at the cutting.And it was the perfect chance for the 427 Monaro to over take but the 05 Monaro didn't let it,and the 05 Monaro took first place in bathurst 24hr.While The 427 came second.

What a weekend.
More info at www.procar.com.au.
www.bathurst24hr.com.au

SFDMALEX
11-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Cool story. I knew the MOnaros are going to win again. Last year the Ferrari 360 was running strong, but the engine blew up and that was the end for it. I cant wait till we get the poor 1hour coverage of the race sometime in December I think.

stracing
11-25-2003, 12:49 AM
the ONLY way a monaro will win was to make a protoype. the engine is 7 litres and the rest is built with race spec parts. just a normal version which was in the race was in the middle of the field. thats why i didn't even bother watching the stupid race. no other car in the field could catch up. the allowed specs for this race aren't really fair.

possessed_beaver
11-25-2003, 02:35 AM
the ONLY way a monaro will win was to make a protoype. the engine is 7 litres and the rest is built with race spec parts. just a normal version which was in the race was in the middle of the field. thats why i didn't even bother watching the stupid race. no other car in the field could catch up. the allowed specs for this race aren't really fair.

yeh i totaly agree, i was going for the BMW M3's and m coupe's.
it was an alright race, the best part was at night on TV watching the brakes blow red hot at the end of conrod strait!!
it was amazing!
personly i don't count it as one of peters batherst wins, because it wasen't in touring car racing.
hopefully next year the field will be more impressive and the ferrari doesent blow up, so it can win!!!
hahaha i still rember last year, the only reason the monaro won, was because the porche crashed!

Kangaroo Boy
11-25-2003, 05:27 AM
Stracing.I don't agree,And I'm not being Bias.But The Monaro only won is because of the Drivers, and the Team.Gary Rodgers has been racing at bathurst for the last 20 years,.And you got Brock who knows the track like no one else.The Monaro isn't that quick..In the Middle of the night,the VIP pet food porsche was in the lead for about 2 hours.And third place,Peter Fitzgerald who has been racing porsche before I was born,who had a really strong car all race.Anyway,I was there for the Production cars and Excotic sports cars such as the Mosler.I counted it as brocks 10th win.Because,Brock won his first 1000 in torana back 30 years ago.Why shouldn't the Monaro be counted as a offically win.,Why should it be counted as 10th in a V8 supertaxi?I can see the difference.I hope next year will be bigger,but like to see something else win.

tekwar
11-25-2003, 06:56 AM
well the monaro seems like an overkill compared to the competition with its 7lt engine, but thats just my opinion. And the drivers also have the "home court" advantage, having driven there and all. With that said though, good race to watch, wished there was more competition for the monaros. Would like to see some japanese "GT" cars in this race to spice things up a bit. Too much of the holden isnt good, for crying out loud, even the safety car is the same....lol.

The night race was great, wished they light up the track a bit more so we could actually see the cars a litte.

stracing
11-25-2003, 07:06 AM
yea bring in a denso supra, calsonic gtr, or raybrig nsx. that would really make the show worth watching. sure the monaros had all the home court advantage but still i feel its been overdone so it can win all the time.

sikx5
11-25-2003, 07:16 AM
damn bastards didnt televise it here :cry: ....i want to see bright red disc brakes...that'd sweet....buts its nothing quite like a sti turbo glowing bright red :shock: ...

tekwar
11-25-2003, 08:18 AM
Well its not much of a race when a team leads from start to finish in a 24 hr race, well not that exciting if you asked me. But then again we can also blame the rest of the field for not doing better. expected the mosler and the lambo to be closer to them, but they did pretty bad this year.

possessed_beaver
11-25-2003, 08:57 AM
yea bring in a denso supra, calsonic gtr, or raybrig nsx. that would really make the show worth watching. sure the monaros had all the home court advantage but still i feel its been overdone so it can win all the time.

haha yeh that would spice things up alot!!!!
hahahah then they would change the rules to outlaw that car!!!! (*cough skyline 1990*)

Kangaroo Boy
11-25-2003, 10:17 AM
possesed beaver its not V8 supertaxi,No cars get ruled out.If any cars gets ruled out,it should be the Monaro 427.

SFDMALEX
11-25-2003, 10:27 AM

Bring these and some prodrive 550 GTO's. If the 550 was there, it would finish the race with a 100lap lead. hehe. The problem is that the race is not the famous around the world, and a lot of teams that come there are the ones that no one ever herd about. Bring teams from ALMS and FIA GT in there and it will be the second best race after Le Mans.

stracing
11-25-2003, 08:08 PM
so channel ten must be bullshitting when they say bathurst 1000 is televised all around the world.

yea i want to see the prodrive ferrari as well. the way they're going with the monaros, i think interest from international teams will go.

gto625
02-04-2004, 08:46 AM

I'm a bit biased towards the Monaros (check the avatar) but I've gotta say that's a fair comment, although it is good to see that an aussie car can be built up to take on the real automotive giants... pity Holden never released the semi-race spec'd HRT427 Monaro to the general market as they said they were going to...

Kangaroo Boy
02-04-2004, 11:08 AM
Well the Rumours are that the International are coming back at full Strength to take down the Monaros.More International should be there..