PDA

View Full Version : File Sharing and Your ISP.....

Anonymous
06-28-2003, 04:39 PM
:shock: :shock: This is getting SERIOUS now, check out what I read over at the DVD Ripping site Doom9... FUCK !!! Brace Yourself!!

The RIAA is brining out the big guns. Since they've been granted permission to get user data from ISPs without due process and their request to shut down Kazaa has been denied in court, they have decided to go after the end users of P2P systems now, threatening to sue thousands of users. I found a very funny quote in that press release: "every time you swap that music with your friends a new artist doesn't get a chance". Of course, maybe you're that artist and wondering why none of the majors will sign you up, but then again, that has always been a problem, even before the Internet was invented ;) Also, I've finally realized how the industry is calculating their massive losses they make due to piracy. If you have to pay $150'000 damages for each song traded, it only takes 6667 traded songs to get to a billion... though it makes me wonder how those stiff fines are justified against the price of a CD or DVD. :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock:
:shock:
:shock: :shock:
:shock:

TT
06-28-2003, 04:59 PM
In Italy piracy is well developped (sadly I can add)... so every now and then, such news throw the panic on surfers... I speak about Italy, because Italian is my first language and I have many online friends from Italy...

It's scary, for sure, but it will be damn hard to stop all the millions of users sharing movies, mp3 and such on the net...

Anonymous
06-28-2003, 05:01 PM
Dam.... $150,000... thats a 355 for every file traded OMG!!!!!!!

BADMIHAI
06-28-2003, 06:38 PM
unfortunatly, I'll have to agree with DiscoFish on this one.....a good lawyer would tair this case to shreads in no time! The you could sue the motherfuckers back for invading your privacy!

TT
06-28-2003, 08:03 PM
unfortunatly, I'll have to agree with DiscoFish on this one.....a good lawyer would tair this case to shreads in no time! The you could sue the motherfuckers back for invading your privacy!

Not as far as there are laws that allow them

Nemisis8u
06-29-2003, 01:22 AM
New artists my ass. What they are most concerned about is money in their own already huge pockets. When a CD is released most of the money from the CD goes straight into the recording company and the leftover “tiny” bit goes to the artist. Artists make most of their money by going on tours and setting up concerts. Sure some artists are disappointed but hey I was watching Much Music (Canadian music channel) and they interviewed Kid Rock and asked him if the sharing of music over the Internet bothered him. His response was “I’m rich why do I care”, or something along those lines. The point is that he didn’t really care. It sure feels bad to be ripped off but I think the artist are the ones who have a right to go to court over such matters and not the recording industry.

BADMIHAI
06-29-2003, 12:55 PM
So what you guys are saying is that those motherfuckers have the right to invade my privacy just like that? By invading my fucking privacy I mean checking out my logs and internet history...downloads and accessed pages and shit. What the fuck is this? That's like they're puting a fucking hidden camera in my bathroom. I swear, IF they come after me and my lawyer won't be able to fuck them, I'll get my gun and blow away as many of them as I can! Little fucking bitches! You can't even imagine how much this pisses me off! This pisses me off almost as much as the fact that M. Schumacher didn't win at Nurbungring!!!!

TT
06-29-2003, 01:10 PM
So what you guys are saying is that those motherfuckers have the right to invade my privacy just like that? By invading my fucking privacy I mean checking out my logs and internet history...downloads and accessed pages and shit. What the fuck is this? That's like they're puting a fucking hidden camera in my bathroom. I swear, IF they come after me and my lawyer won't be able to fuck them, I'll get my gun and blow away as many of them as I can! Little fucking bitches! You can't even imagine how much this pisses me off! This pisses me off almost as much as the fact that M. Schumacher didn't win at Nurbungring!!!!

BTW, to put a camera in my bathroom, would be their biggest mistake.. but if they like.. well, they're welcome :D

Anonymous
06-29-2003, 03:43 PM
The surprise statement by Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, that he favors developing technology to remotely destroy computers used for illegal downloads represents a dramatic escalation in the increasingly contentious rhetoric over pirated music.

During a discussion of methods to frustrate computer users who illegally exchange music and movie files over the Internet, Hatch asked technology executives about ways to damage computers involved in such file trading. Legal experts have said any such attack would violate federal antihacking laws.

"No one is interested in destroying anyone's computer," replied Randy Saaf of MediaDefender, a secretive Los Angeles company that builds technology to deliberately download pirated material very slowly so other users can't.

"I'm interested," Hatch interrupted. He said damaging someone's computer "may be the only way you can teach somebody about copyrights."

The senator, a composer who earned $18,000 last year in songwriting royalties, acknowledged Congress would have to enact an exemption for copyright owners from liability for damaging computers. He endorsed technology that would twice warn a computer user about illegal online behavior, "then destroy their computer."

"If we can find some way to do this without destroying their machines, we'd be interested in hearing about that," Hatch said. "If that's the only way, then I'm all for destroying their machines. If you have a few hundred thousand of those, I think people would realize" the seriousness of their actions.

"There's no excuse for anyone violating copyright laws," Hatch said.

Some legal experts suggested Hatch's provocative remarks were more likely intended to compel technology and music executives to work faster toward ways to protect copyrights online than to signal forthcoming legislation.

"It's just the frustration of those who are looking at enforcing laws that are proving very hard to enforce," said Orin Kerr, a George Washington University law professor and former Justice Department cybercrimes prosecutor.

"The rights of copyright holders need to be protected, but some Draconian remedies that have been suggested would create more problems than they would solve," Leahy said in a statement. "We need to work together to find the right answers, and this is not one of them."

Rep. Rick Boucher (D-Va.) urged Hatch to reconsider. Because Hatch is Judiciary chairman, "we all take those views very seriously," he said. But Kerr said Congress was unlikely to approve any bill to enable such remote computer destruction by copyright owners "because innocent users might be wrongly targeted."

A spokesman for the Recording Industry Association of America, Jonathan Lamy, said Hatch was "apparently making a metaphorical point that if peer-to-peer networks don't take reasonable steps to prevent massive copyright infringement on the systems they create, Congress may be forced to consider stronger measures." The RIAA represents the major music labels.

The entertainment industry has gradually escalated its fight against Internet file traders, targeting the most egregious pirates with civil lawsuits. The RIAA recently won a federal court decision making it significantly easier to identify and track consumers -- even those hiding behind aliases -- using popular Internet file-sharing software.

BADMIHAI
06-29-2003, 04:36 PM
My above statements still stand! My AKM-47 is waiting for them!
So they're saying they have the right to fucking walk all over my constitutional rights, over my privacy and on most things that keep our democracy from turning into an anarchy, but I don't have the right to download music! That is bull shit! I'm looking forward to the Russian hackers fucking up their systems.

novass
06-29-2003, 08:08 PM
i have been hearing more and more about this. i agree with BADMIHAI, they aint takin me alive LOL. if they go thru with this im starting a boycott on movies and music. fuckin little bitches making more money in a year then i will probably make in my lifetime are still complaining. i saw a commercial with Ben Affleck and James Cameron whining about this shit, gimmie a fuckin break! those two have more money then 90% of the world.

i think its funny that most musicians say that they do it for the music not the money then they sit there and bitch. instead of whining why dont they do something to cope with the problem, you cant download a live concert....do more of those, make your money that way. if they want me they are gonna have to come and pry the shit from my cold dead hands...i will kill every last one of them!!! :snipersmile: :2gunfire: :fist: :fist:

possessed_beaver
06-30-2003, 07:47 AM
i would like 2 quote RATM on this matter (i downloaded evrey one of there albums and video clips!)
"no matter how hard they try, they won't stop us now!"
seriosley there is 3million uses on kazaa at any given time, and countless files!
thoes 3million people are 3 million very quiet people that just go about there day to day activitys.
but im sure if they cracked down on them, thoes 3 million people wouldent mind downloading a DOS programe (denial of service, that could attack the music servers and other servers.. as a little bit of payback!)
- a good idea?

and for fucks sake, the fucking price fixing on all thoes fucking CD's and DVD's!!!
a DVD costs less that 1 fucking dolloar 2 make, and yet they sell them at like a 10000% MARKUP!!!!!! FUCKING STUPID!!!
the fucked up record companys want us all 2 buy the shit they play on mtv, (RAP!!!!)
until the next "trend comes along"
the thing i find most amusing is all these famous people making plea's 2 the poor people that don't have fucking butlers and starts in fucking hollywood 2 go out and waste what little money they have on there heap of shit cd's and not do the "wrong thing" and "steal it"

but they do the "wrong thing" and charge fucking 40bucks for a new fucking DVD or CD!!!
yeh that makes sence, this is only the tip of the iceburg of what i have to say
and put me on a talk show with ANY FAMOUS person or record excutive, and i will burn the crap out of them about this topic!!!
its fucking pathetic!

but we should rise and fuck thoes record people up!!!

BADMIHAI
06-30-2003, 01:05 PM
I'm with you all the way, Beav! My AK's waitin for em!

Anonymous
06-30-2003, 09:45 PM
i would like 2 quote RATM on this matter (i downloaded evrey one of there albums and video clips!)
"no matter how hard they try, they won't stop us now!"
seriosley there is 3million uses on kazaa at any given time, and countless files!
thoes 3million people are 3 million very quiet people that just go about there day to day activitys.
but im sure if they cracked down on them, thoes 3 million people wouldent mind downloading a DOS programe (denial of service, that could attack the music servers and other servers.. as a little bit of payback!)
- a good idea?

and for fucks sake, the fucking price fixing on all thoes fucking CD's and DVD's!!!
a DVD costs less that 1 fucking dolloar 2 make, and yet they sell them at like a 10000% MARKUP!!!!!! FUCKING STUPID!!!
the fucked up record companys want us all 2 buy the shit they play on mtv, (RAP!!!!)
until the next "trend comes along"
the thing i find most amusing is all these famous people making plea's 2 the poor people that don't have fucking butlers and starts in fucking hollywood 2 go out and waste what little money they have on there heap of shit cd's and not do the "wrong thing" and "steal it"

but they do the "wrong thing" and charge fucking 40bucks for a new fucking DVD or CD!!!
yeh that makes sence, this is only the tip of the iceburg of what i have to say
and put me on a talk show with ANY FAMOUS person or record excutive, and i will burn the crap out of them about this topic!!!
its fucking pathetic!

but we should rise and fuck thoes record people up!!!

:shock: :shock: Jesus Beav!! Calm down yer screwing up yer dam slappin yer tail around like that !!!!

LMAO, actually it costs way under a dollar to make a CD or DVD for these guys, try more like 10 cents max. Helluva profit margin eh? BUT !!! Put yourself on the recieving end of that fucking gravy train and fuck ya I'd get pissed and do something about it if someone was fuckin wid my gravy train LMAO ..... "theres always 2 sides to every coin and most times we only wanna see our side".... werd of wit from KH

possessed_beaver
07-01-2003, 03:04 AM
yeh KH there is always 2 sides, im just lucky enough 2 be on the right side!!!
hahahahaha

one rule - never fuck with geeks!