PDA

View Full Version : The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

ZfrkS62
09-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Just as weird as the book was :D Offers another odd perspective to humanity like the Matrix did, only this one is funnier. The thought of Dolphins being the Second most intelligent creatures on Earth, a planet commissioned and built by Mice.

But you find all this out after your best friend reveals himself to be an alien and that the world is due to end 12 minutes while you're at a pub attempting to down 3 pints each in the alloted time before Earth is destroyed to make way for a galactic expressway :D

This movie was years late and really should have been made in the mid 90's IMO, but without the computer graphics technology it just wouldn't have worked. Well worht the wait though and well worth my 18 bucks for the DVD :D Probably would have been worth my 9 bucks at the theater too.

ZfrkS62
09-18-2005, 12:31 AM
you've got to read the book too though. I remember reading it back in i think 6th grade and thinking it was the most bizzare thing i had ever read :D I'm actually thinking about going out and buying the book just to read it again :D

ZfrkS62
09-18-2005, 12:49 AM
it's been so long since i read the book that i really don't remember any of it so i couldn't tell you how much of it the movie follows. From watching the extras on the DVD, i'm not sure it's tightly based on the book, but it does give you an extremely good idea as to how odd the book really is.

bmwmpower
09-18-2005, 02:15 AM
very boring movie, not funny, maybe is book better

abbor
09-18-2005, 08:47 AM
well, I can't speak for the movie, as I haven't seen it yet, but the book is by far the most hilarious thing I have ever read in my life, and that says a lot, cause I've read lots and lots of books in my life...

It's almost as if I don't dare to see the movie, cause it could destroy the book :?

No.1
09-18-2005, 08:55 AM
very boring movie, not funny, maybe is book better

I agree with you :|

The film was full of cringe-ful moments, when the comedy was so crap, that you pitied the actors.

A piss poor movie - and a shame, as i have heard nothing but good things about the book.

And Zfrk - i think if it was made in the ninties it would have looked better - a load of crappy effects would add to the bizzareness.

An underwhelming film - and a waste of my time too :roll:

leo_26782
09-18-2005, 10:56 AM
This is just a great move, as long as you like the non-sense humour :D
I've had a great moment and it did worth the ticket. I am sure I will get the DVD at one point, and I am also thinking about getting the books. Anyone knows if they were ever made in French?

The best example of non-sense humour in my opinion is what happens when you try to build a robot that includes some human psychology: he gets depressed :lol:

graywolf624
09-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Great to hear we have a consensus as I consider buying to first view.

ZfrkS62
09-18-2005, 01:00 PM
The best example of non-sense humour in my opinion is what happens when you try to build a robot that includes some human psychology: he gets depressed

I liked the idea that the Dolphins had been trying to warn us about the impending doom of our planet but we mis-interpret their warnings as cheap amusement :lol:

My next step is to watch the movie while completely hammered and see how much funnier it is :D My only wish is that i had one of those improbability drives :D

davide
09-18-2005, 02:02 PM
It's worth watching I can tell you that!

and the song in the beginning with the dolphins is sooo gooood! :D

Toronto
09-20-2005, 03:43 PM
the first movie was better then the new one and the book is far better then both IMO

ZfrkS62
09-20-2005, 04:08 PM
i didn't know they remade it :shock:

Toronto
09-20-2005, 04:36 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081874/
great movie, I still think I have it on VHS someplace?

edit: it wasn't a full length movie, but you could buy it as one

ZfrkS62
09-20-2005, 04:49 PM
interesting. I'll have to try and find that somewhere

T-Bird
09-21-2005, 01:33 AM
we have the original BBC one at work but it's out all the time.

ZfrkS62
09-22-2005, 09:38 PM
^^ not really all that surprised. It seems like remakes always spawn a renewed interest in the original

TransAm
09-23-2005, 10:17 AM
I have the original on DVD- it's 6 episodes in total I believe

nthfinity
10-11-2005, 06:13 PM
the vhs version was cut to one 'movie-like' way, but it was 6 episodes, played/acted by the same guys who did the BBC radio show, which has many more then just 6 episodes.

definately a classic, and the vhs at my local blockbuster was never out until word the movie was making a big budget comeback.

if you like this kind of satire, then definately check out the Discworld series, and Good Omens. Terry Pratchet is amazing, where Douglass Adams left off IMO.

i hope they do 'resturant at the end of the world' in movie form too