PDA

View Full Version : Motor Trend Enzo Road Test

HoboPie
06-27-2003, 04:49 AM
Well, unfortunately I don't have scans or even own the magazine, but I just got these motortrend Enzo stats from a guy at Supercars.net. He is a very reliable source who puts up stats all the time and has never lied or embellished any of them.

I assume the scans will go up eventually, but take a look at these numbers.

Test Data:

0-30 mph: 1.34 sec
0-40 mph: 1.82 sec
0-50 mph: 2.31 sec
0-60 mph: 3.14 sec
0-70 mph: 3.73 sec
0-80 mph: 4.92 sec
0-90 mph: 5.72 sec
0-100 mph: 6.68 sec

1/4 mile: 10.8 sec@135mph
Top Speed: 200+
Braking 60-0 mph ft: 95
600-ft slalom , mph: 72.0
200-ft skidpad, lateral g: 1.02

1/4 mile 10.8sec !!! Pretty good.

Johns
06-27-2003, 11:22 AM
any video of this, that would be sweet :)

maalox
06-28-2003, 05:05 PM
I think that Motor Trend is sometimes full of bullshit. I mean, they always get the fastest times bar none. What are we supposed to think--that the Motor Trend editors are just the gods of driving? They even beat times from places like Best Motoring, which uses exclusively racing drivers to test their cars. I'm pretty sure MT just curves everything a bit to make sure they get the numbers to satisfy their readership.

HoboPie
06-28-2003, 10:23 PM
Well I found out some more stuff about the motor trend test. They got a ferrari test driver to thrash the Enzo around Fiorano and then they used some sort of adjustment and estimation calculations to get most of their times.

As for the remarkable results they normally get, I agree it is unlikely they can, not only out perform the other publications, but also often beat the times of factory test drivers.

On possibility is that they may run all their tests at one or two really high grip testing areas. Another is that their correctional data for temperature and wind may be more charitable to the cars than it should be.

Anyway the stats on this one aren't actually that nuts. I mean road and track got a 0-60 of 3.28 at the salt flats so it is not completely impossible for a factory test driver to best that by 1/10 of a second.

The 0-100mph is actually slower than what other publications so the only thing that seems odd to me is that incredible 1/4 mile that might be possible if all the acceleration data they gathered was as big a gain as the 0-60 over other publications.

crazidude
06-28-2003, 10:44 PM
whoa thats fast
0-60 in 3.14 secs
and 1/4 in 10.8

Nemisis8u
06-29-2003, 01:30 AM
Car and Driver and Road & Track both have 3.3 sec 0-60 times. I Dont like reading motor trend.....too boring.

HoboPie
06-29-2003, 10:09 AM
I wonder about the actual times that Motortrend is getting, but if they legitimately can get the best times then I don't really care how boring the article is. I am more interested in the the actual data than the reviewers opinion because at this point a tons of reviewers have given their opinion on the Enzo. Now I just want the best hard numbers.

Both Car and Driver posted 3.3 seconds for the 0-60, but one did say they got a 3.28, but weren't confident enough in their timing equipment to get down the hundredth of a second.

3.14 is quick, but not completely outrageous compared to a 3.28

AlienDB7
06-29-2003, 01:56 PM
On possibility is that they may run all their tests at one or two really high grip testing areas. Another is that their correctional data for temperature and wind may be more charitable to the cars than it should be.

Yes they do run their tests on high grip surfaces, at least for some of their tests. Check out the behind the scenes video at http://www.motortrend.com/multimedia/mtvideo/

crochico
06-29-2003, 02:09 PM
wow, motor trend is something else.. they actually tested the murcielago run 0-60mph in 3.1 seconds... i don't doubt that it's a very fast car, but these guys seem to go beyond anything that is possible.. but when you combine the perfect conditions (sticky track, good weather, b.s. car editors) you're bound to do anything

troskap
06-29-2003, 02:54 PM
Eh, I've always seen magazine speed testing as a little dicey. Not only do you have to account for the conditions of the days the testing is happening at, or the state of the car, in tires, tranny, etc., but the drivers count for a lot, too. The drivers that test don't get a chance to really understand a car's particular quirks over time, for understandable reasons. So the numbers can get a touch hosed. I pretty much average out over different magazines, and give it a bit of spin, depending on the conditions indicated by the magazines. Works for me :)

Anonymous
06-29-2003, 05:36 PM
My Bike Ow3ns that car!!!!10.8's even my Camaro beats that, o-100 in 6 sec LooL I do it in closer to 3-4 first gear in a 15,500 RPM :shock: screamin burst will get me to 100........

robruf
06-29-2003, 06:13 PM
Hayabusa only do the quarter-mile in 12 seconds, so the Enzo is faster than the Hayabusa. A really fast bike will do 0-100 km/h in 3 seconds flat. Maybe if someone NOS'ed their bike, then maybe they could beat the Enzo.

gis
06-29-2003, 06:59 PM
i thought the hayabusa could do 9's with a good rider

JN396
06-30-2003, 01:02 AM
Hayabusa only do the quarter-mile in 12 seconds, so the Enzo is faster than the Hayabusa. A really fast bike will do 0-100 km/h in 3 seconds flat. Maybe if someone NOS'ed their bike, then maybe they could beat the Enzo.

I dunno about you; but I don't think the hayabusa is THAT slow....any sportbike that is at least 600cc should do 12 sec times or better for the 1/4... (given if he's a proficient rider).

Here's some real world testing of the hayabusa; and yeah; it did 9 sec 1/4's..

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/topspeed/99topspeed.html

Here's a typical sportbike (oldschool--sorry); for shits and giggles here's mine..95 cbr f3

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mchonda/cbr600f3.html

Now my take is that off the line; no 4 wheel ordinary cage will beat a bike. Period. Unless it's a drag methanol guzzling car...but we're not talking about that. On a roll; or in the twisties; (where drag coefficient is high for a bike--and it's harder to push a bike in it's limits) I believe a car like the enzo can beat it. It also depends how crazy the rider is; and how hard he's willing to ride it to its limits.

Anonymous
06-30-2003, 01:21 AM
i thought the hayabusa could do 9's with a good rider

They do..... and my bike wieghs 200lbs less than a bus and it has close to 40HP more, so its just a weeeee bit faster than a bus, like quite a bit faster..... it spins the rear up on the freeway at over 100mph if I clutch it :D its safe to say my bike own3s pretty gud... It may not be perty but she makes up for her looks with BRUTE STRENGTH !

Anonymous
06-30-2003, 01:23 AM

12's LMAO maybe with a MSF nOOb on it with 2 plug wires pulled off....... 12's right, he don't know a thing about bikes! :P :P

The new GSXR 600 does a low 10...... How the Hell could a 1300cc bike be 2 seconds SLOWER??? 2 Plug Wires are off and a Motorcycle Safety Foundation nOOb is riding it....... ROFLMFAO :P :P :P

noosee
07-02-2003, 04:18 AM
Yes for sure new 600 bikes do 1/4 in low 11.
Even 1000 cc street bikes do that in 11 secs.
Hayabusa with 170 bhp I think will do 1/4 in low 10s.

And about ferrari times. It is surprizingly fast.

And moter trend murcielago time is fake. It is impossible.

BADMIHAI
07-02-2003, 01:06 PM
KH! Your bike is only faster in a straight line. Put it on a track, and the Enzo will own you!

Anonymous
07-02-2003, 06:43 PM
KH! Your bike is only faster in a straight line. Put it on a track, and the Enzo will own you! With the right person on my bike it would kill a Enzo.... its got WSB suspension and the stickiest Soft Race compound Dunlop Radials money can buy..... LooL I have yet to see a Enzo do a WSB Qualifiying speed lap anywhere except maybe in your dreams!!! Theres only a handful of things will beat my bike with the proper man riding it and the Enzo sadly isnt one of them. I love Ferarris, but they "ain't all that" If you take a moment to compare ACCURATE modern times of World Superbikes, you'll see they are very much the eaqual of a F-1 car on many of the tracks. It suprised even me when I recently saw several of the bikes pulling lap times on Silverstone that were within .10 seconds of the F-1 lap record. :roll: lets see a Enzo do that ROFLMAO :P

Jabba
07-02-2003, 06:51 PM
I think theres also a slight price difference in Krazys bike to an enzo...like how many bikes could you get for the price of one car ???

I have only been able to beat a few "riders" not the "bikes" in the diablo...at around 160...most riders seem to break at that speed..I am sure krazy can tell us if something strange happens around that speed...I know the bike has plenty more to go... but it must get super scary or something...anyway I am sure I wouldnt stand a chance against the Krazy one...as he has simlar attitudes to my own...I wonder if he has as many lives left as I do though...I think I have used up about 6 of mine out of a suspected 9....

Anonymous
07-02-2003, 06:56 PM
:P LOL Its that win at all costs don't give a rats ass who dies attitude.... lol You have 3 left!!!!! I'd be REALLY WACKED if I had that many to spare!! Damm I used up 16 so far LMAO :P :P :P :shock: :angel:

crochico
07-02-2003, 08:02 PM

i'm gonna have to agree with Krazy on this one.. the enzo is not even close to the hayabusa's 1/4 mile time.. unless you consider 2 seconds close.. with a slightly tweaked suspension, a STOCK hayabusa is capable of running mid 9's, as is a Kawasaki ZX-12R Ninja.. the suzuki GSX-R 1000 has also ran it in under 10 seconds.. and nearly all the serious 600cc bikes can run 10s.. and the 2003 GSX-R 1000 can run 0-60mph (almost 100km/h) in 2.5 seconds.. and yes, that is faster than the enzo

crochico
07-02-2003, 08:05 PM
I think theres also a slight price difference in Krazys bike to an enzo...like how many bikes could you get for the price of one car ???

I have only been able to beat a few "riders" not the "bikes" in the diablo...at around 160...most riders seem to break at that speed.

you can get lots and lots and lots of bikes for the price of an enzo :D

most bikes break at around 160 because that's what the top speeds are for 600's and such bikes (mid 160s mph top speed).. other than the hayabusa (190mph top speed), GSX-R 1000s are capable of 175 and higher mph top speed, so jabba's diablo can have his way with lower cc bikes them.. they do have great power to weight ratios, but in the end drag/wind resistance keep their velocities from increasing any further.. that is where engine mods and turbos and any other form of extra boost come in to play :D

Anonymous
07-02-2003, 09:19 PM
Theres also a HUGE factor that comes into play.... and most people don't have the nutz to Twist That Fuckin Thing....

If you've ever ridden a really fast bike I can assure you, I doubt you have the BALLS to explore the things mindboggling upper limits.
Once you get in the 160 range it begins to get Very Frightining, and with each additional mph you add on to that number the Fear Factor goes up expotentially by a factor or 10....

Its one thing to sit all comfy in yer tin box and hammer it.... your indestructable in comparisin to sitting fuckin NAKED out there balanced on two little patches of rubber going insane speeds. The two cannot be compared in anyway. Its so much more frightining going extreme speeds on a bike than in a tin box its just not in the same league.

Jabba's probably never been up against a real nutter on a big bike in his Lambo yet the majority of the sportbikes on the roads are 600's and 750's simply because they have more power than even the best in the world can handle, some day though he will though and he'll look like this :shock: its pretty simple really, just look at it in black and white, theres no refuting physics they control our every movement and define our world and its limits. You cant break these rules and the bottom line says it all.... Horsepower to wieght ratio and its very plain and simple to see who wins.

Jabba
07-03-2003, 04:03 AM
as I said...I have beaten a "few" riders...meaning I have been beaten many times by bikes over shorter distances...I also meant the riders spirit seems to "break" when they hit around 160 mph even on bikes capable of much more...

Anonymous
07-03-2003, 04:47 AM
No Jabba, what I was referring to is a real "nutter" thats one of your guys words LOL, I mean one of the doods that work at Superbike magazine or Performance bikes... These guys define the meaning of the word. They have certifiably left the planet nutty. Shit one or two of there employees dies each year in some of there antics.
They have a trip they make each year to the bol de ore (I butchered the spelling) its a big race and drinking bing thing happens each year in France. The Superbike crew takes 4 - 5 of the fastest bikes they can get there mits on and will procede to ride from London to the other side of France at full throttle the entire way!!! Only stopping for gas.
These guys ride like that Ghostrider guy does... they only know one throttle position WFO and don't letup until there on the ground!

You Will Like these guys style I gauarntee that.... check this out LooL
http://www.superbikemagazine.co.uk/content/wp_classic.html

http://www.fastbikesmag.com/acatalog/poster_355.jpg
http://www.superbikemagazine.co.uk/images/downloads/wallpaper/medium/Nicola_wallpaper1.jpg

Jabba
07-03-2003, 07:42 AM
I wasnt refering to anything you typed KH as I wasnt dis-agreeing with anything that you said....I was refering more to crochico saying the bikes were not up to it...and I was re-making my point thats its mostly the riders "bottle" (one of our words for courage here) goes...long before the bikes performance is called into question...

I wish I could get my F355 to do 0-60 in 4.2 secs !!! :shock:

Anonymous
07-03-2003, 08:01 AM
Close ro 4.2? They managed some how... Fekkin Fastbike Boyz are a wacked crew somewhere in my house I have the magazine article of that "test" quite interesting actually, your car faired quite well on some circuts. They went to Bridgehampton, Silverstone and one other and literally thrashed the wheels off everything they brought along.... my kinda peepa! :P :P

Jabba
07-03-2003, 08:17 AM
Yes the old 355's were much quicker that used the 2.7 engine management system and had more of a growl to them as well...this is the type my old 355 GTS used...here is a picture of a 2.7 and 5.2 with a ram air intake charger mod fitted

....http://www.gruppemeurope.com/frcecar.jpg

all RHD spiders came with the slower 5.2 :( but I have a better exhaust and some other tweeks that has made it a bit better

Anonymous
07-03-2003, 08:33 AM
Ahhhh that explains the sound I heard in a video I got off a friend of yours recently he's a Ferarri nut and has a site with about a 100 small videos. One was inside a modded 355 going thru the box and I swear it made the hair on the back of the neck go up..... sounded like a F1 car!
His name is Rico Nijhof, I sent him a note saying he had a nice site and told him about us and to drop by and have a look. He sent me a e-mail back said he knew you from some forum and was going to say Hi !

Jabba
07-03-2003, 08:41 AM
yeh if you have the patience and are willing to spend the bucks...you can get them sounding pretty nice...a stock 355 below 3,000 rpm sounds like a tin can IMO...(due to EU noise restrictions they have to abide to)...thats why I got that particular valve wired open permanently for starters !!! :D

Anonymous
07-03-2003, 09:10 AM
its those Gawdamm tree huggers tryin ta ruin all our fun...... :2gunfire: - - -> treehugger :squarewink:

crochico
07-03-2003, 02:16 PM
I wasnt refering to anything you typed KH as I wasnt dis-agreeing with anything that you said....I was refering more to crochico saying the bikes were not up to it...and I was re-making my point thats its mostly the riders "bottle" (one of our words for courage here) goes...long before the bikes performance is called into question...

there is a point where the bike is no longer up to it, but i'd have to agree with krazy for the most part as he said there's a point where the rider either holds on to that throtle or he lets off.. two of my friends both have 600cc bikes (gixxer and R6) and they've both topped them out at nearly 170mph, and they waited for days where there was no wind... if you're crazy like Krazy, and have a bike capable of 200mph + speeds, there is very low likelyhood that there is a car in the neighborhood that will challenge him at those speeds.. but not everyone will have the manhood to test those boundaries (if they could)

Jabba
07-03-2003, 03:38 PM
if you're crazy like Krazy,

:rofl:

I think we are all trying to say the same thing here...but in a different way

tekwar
07-18-2003, 11:56 AM
those sport bike fanatics really have balls, im terrified to get on any kind of bike going at any kind of speed...i respect them...lol