PDA

View Full Version : the thing that sucks about buying new CDs...

ZfrkS62
08-27-2005, 03:29 PM
...is reorganizing your collection :?

3 new CKy discs (Vol 2, and an Answer can be found) which, in my large book, CKy is right smack in the middle :? Now i get the joy of figuring out how to rearrange all these CDs and avoid completely yanking out all of them (Hendrix [9 discs], Green Day [9 discs] and Metallica [11 discs] take up the front with HIM [24 discs] taking up more of the back) and figure out which bands get displaced to the backup book :|

Anyone else hve this issue or am i just stange?

gucom
08-27-2005, 03:35 PM
stop putting them in a rack and just put all the boxes on top of/next to each other. Or get all the CD's out of the boxes and put them in those softcover map thingies...1 map per band, and you can easily take alot of them with you if you're going on a long trip or on holiday or something.

ZfrkS62
08-27-2005, 03:47 PM
stop putting them in a rack and just put all the boxes on top of/next to each other. Or get all the CD's out of the boxes and put them in those softcover map thingies...1 map per band, and you can easily take alot of them with you if you're going on a long trip or on holiday or something.

I've got them all in the soft books. I don't have any cds in their cases.

my main book is 16 pages w/ 8 discs front and back (4 each side) and that is the one in question, and my backup book is 24 pages w/ 4 discs per page (2 discs per side)

I just figured it out. Limp Bizkit (who i never listen to anymore) has been banished to the backup book while Offspring is relocated next to CKy while my 5 Nirvana discs and only Static-X disc now take up the 6 vacant spots left by the first 2 bands.

gucom
08-27-2005, 03:58 PM
I just figured it out. Limp Bizkit (who i never listen to anymore) has been banished to the backup book while Offspring is relocated next to CKy while my 5 Nirvana discs and only Static-X disc now take up the 6 vacant spots left by the first 2 bands.

im glad to hear that this peculiar situation worked out fine :D

Toronto
08-27-2005, 04:01 PM
you think cds are bad, try moving around 3000 LP's :P

ZfrkS62
08-27-2005, 04:09 PM
you think cds are bad, try moving around 3000 LP's :P

i fold :lol: luckily you can't buy new LPs anymore. at least not by the bands you like :P

Toronto
08-27-2005, 04:22 PM
you can you just have to hunt...
I have the new audioslave and spiderbait albums, and my friend just got the new foo fighters (they cost around $15-20 CAN) most "big" bands and dance tracks come out on vinyl just in small numbers :wink:

edit:
mayb the might be hard to find in "small" cities, but in new york and the virgin music store they have a big section and the friend (where he got the foo fighters album) spoke the one of the workers, he said that when they put out a new album it almost always sells out that day.

ZfrkS62
08-27-2005, 04:42 PM
i know there are bands that release singles on the smaller vinyls (forgive me for not knowing the proper name for these things) and are usally obtainable throught the band's website for like 10 bucks.

Toronto
08-27-2005, 04:53 PM
they are called, singles :P most come @ 45rpm, but some come @ 33rpm

ZfrkS62
08-27-2005, 05:02 PM
they are called, singles :P most come @ 45rpm, but some come @ 33rpm

How about posting an explanation of which vinyls are which.

Toronto
08-27-2005, 05:26 PM
well...

Single= 45rpm 7'-12' (new ones can come in 33⅓rpm)
most of the time it has one song "single" with a 2nd song on the b-side, example my zeppelin Black Dog Single has Misty Mountain Hop on the b-side. Singles mostly where put out for radio play, many songs didn't come out as singles but still had extensive radio play example, zeppelins stairway to heaven

EP= extended-playing, can be 10-12" @ 45rpm or 7-10" @ 33⅓rpm. now these arn't albums but are more then singles @ 2-3 songs per side. many bands would use EP's as samplers (not for radio use) with 1 or 2 hit songs and some other songs on the b-side. or you could find a "Live EP" from bands that didn't want to do a full live album, but wanted people to "experience" the thrill of their live show.

LP = long-playing 12" @ 33⅓rpm, your everyday album

now there are plenty of others out there, but in your everyday store these are what you will find

ZfrkS62
08-27-2005, 06:35 PM
yeah, i've never been clear on EP vs LP vs 45. I've alwasy refered to them as the small ones or the big ones :lol: Now singles i don't think have changed as far as definition. However the term B-side has taken on a different meaning.

gucom
08-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Yeah thanks for that explanation...now i know what my parents are always talking about :D (they have a couple of hundred vynils, mostly LP's, and are trying to convert them to CD)

antonioledesma
08-28-2005, 01:01 AM
yeah, i've never been clear on EP vs LP vs 45. I've alwasy refered to them as the small ones or the big ones :lol: Now singles i don't think have changed as far as definition. However the term B-side has taken on a different meaning.

lol... looks like you're a very young person who knew only cd's :P
and the vynils where those huge black discs that your parents kept.

now that I remember, I must search for metallica's And justice for all... vynils. Yes, vynilS, there are 2 lp's on that album

ZfrkS62
08-28-2005, 01:12 AM

lol... looks like you're a very young person who knew only cd's :P
and the vynils where those huge black discs that your parents kept.

now that I remember, I must search for metallica's And justice for all... vynils. Yes, vynilS, there are 2 lp's on that album

pretty much :lol: despite being around them most of my life, i never had time to pick up on their terminology

antonioledesma
08-28-2005, 01:17 AM
you only told your parents to put a winnie poh record :mrgreen:

ZfrkS62
08-28-2005, 01:40 AM
you only told your parents to put a winnie poh record :mrgreen:

i hate that fatass bear :|