PDA

View Full Version : Mythbusters

ZfrkS62
08-17-2005, 10:51 PM
These guys have WAAAYYYYYYY too much fun http://img346.exs.cx/img346/5509/rocket7hw.gif http://img346.exs.cx/img346/7797/nana4lu.gif

Any myth you have heard of, these guys will put to the test.

Recently they have tested the myth of being able to survive a falling elevator by jumping at the last moment (false) Shark myths (mostly from Jaws which ended in a draw between the sharks and the team) even the myth of being decapitated by a ceiling fan (false, but my god will it fuck you up :twisted: )

For the potentially deadly myths they use an ex-crash test dummy aptly named Buster. This thing has been blown up numerous times, dropped from insane heights, run over and baisically mutilated. Theyve recently rebuilt him and used a certain type of wood for his bones that has the same strength as human bones so they will more accurately represent the damage to the human body. A cavity in his head holds an accelerometer to measure G-forces for drops and the like :D

The two hosts have worked in the special effects industry for a combined 30 years and have some twisted notion that if they fail to confirm a myth with the given criteria (the episode with rocket car myth for example) they decide to go all out and find out what it would have taken for the myth to be true. Which quite frankly is the best part of the show when explosives are involved :twisted:

My only question about this show is this: How do i get a job on it?

Did i mention the female cohorts a pretty sexy? I'll take the redhead :D

bmagni
08-17-2005, 11:16 PM
damn good show !!!
theyre funny and the show is excelent, ive never seen an episode that get boring, or that i change channel cause that part is boring.

the one where they prove that escape of Alcatraz is possible is really good, the one where they fill a corvette with dead pigs (take htat RC!!! :mrgreen:) was good too, the car myths were also great, proving things like adding an egg to the water deposit to stop water leaking from the radiator, or adding glicerine to the gas to get more hp.
And i love all the stuff they do in the end to prove how the myth can be achieved.
an excellent tv show.

The one that didnt convince me much is the one of the diver getting sucked by a pump and being thrown to a forest in fire, i bet that thing can suck u up a fat guy prevents air getting sucked might get stuck

ZfrkS62
08-17-2005, 11:23 PM
haven't seen those episodes since i've only had cable back for a month now but thank god for reruns and DVD releases (when is that coming out on DVD anyway?)

My favorite so far has been the Ming Dynasty Astronaut when they strapped Buster to 37 rockets on a chair and tried launching him into space :D The episode where they proved the Indiana Jones stunt of survivng a fall from a plane with an inflated life raft was hilarious too :D

Tonight they had a tribute to all of Buster's best work :D I laughed my ass off the whole time :D

bmagni
08-17-2005, 11:27 PM
I dont know bout the DVD's but ill sure buy them :D

The Ming Dynasty astrounaut was to laugh about for days, the take off was bad ass, hahaha, i didnt remember it. I dont remember watching the Indiana Jones one, maybe i missed it.
Have u seen the one where they find the quickest way to cool the beers ?

pharzo
08-17-2005, 11:31 PM
A great show for sure :good:

That Corvette thing was just vile. At least they sold it in the end :lol:

Of course, part of the appeal is the great interaction between the hosts. Mosly i just like it when Adam makes fun of Jamie's moustache :lol:

@ZfrkS62 I don't think there are any DVD releases (Discovery channel and all) but i do recall reading somewhere that there will be a book at some point

BTW I'm fairly certain Buster is technically a pedestrian test dummy

ZfrkS62
08-17-2005, 11:31 PM
hahahaha, yeah and adam's ice box ended up leaking all over the bar :lol: Jamie's liquid nitrogen idea was great until the beer froze to the stick :?

The ceiling fan episode was awesome when they made their own fan powered by the lawnmower engine :twisted: (i soooooo want to make one of those)

bmagni
08-18-2005, 12:10 AM

yeah for like 5 bucks, but we all know corvette buyers are cheap :roll: :wink:

ZfrkS62
08-18-2005, 12:22 AM
A great show for sure :good:

Of course, part of the appeal is the great interaction between the hosts. Mosly i just like it when Adam makes fun of Jamie's moustache :lol:

@ZfrkS62 I don't think there are any DVD releases (Discovery channel and all) but i do recall reading somewhere that there will be a book at some point

BTW I'm fairly certain Buster is technically a pedestrian test dummy

By now i would just called him abused :lol:

Minacious
08-18-2005, 02:53 AM
I've been watching that show since the beginning and love every minute of it. As far as the redhead, sorry, she's mine.

ZfrkS62
08-18-2005, 03:44 AM
I've been watching that show since the beginning and love every minute of it. As far as the redhead, sorry, she's mine.

wanna race dummies down elevator shafts for her? :wink: :D

corpse_grinder0
08-18-2005, 03:55 AM
yeah that show is the best, I especially liked the one where they put the dead pig inside that nice vette for a couple weeks:P

Skaala
08-18-2005, 08:20 AM
here you go guys

http://shopping.discovery.com/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10000&catalogId=10000&langId=-1&categoryId=27535&interCategoryId=25819&parent_category_rn=22608&jzid=40588004-26-0

yes... kari is hot

edit: the dvd's are damn expensive

ZfrkS62
08-18-2005, 08:00 PM
hundred bucks?!?!?!?! Discovery Channel seems to be a bit full of themselves :?

redbaron
09-07-2005, 07:17 AM
One of my favorite shows!!
The episode I liked most is when they get drunk and try to beat the alcohol breath test, hilarious.

Toronto
11-14-2005, 05:56 PM
sorry to bumb up this old thread but this show is good some of the time the other....
http://netstorage.discovery.com/dsc/fansites/mythbusters/video/2004/09/MythBust_EquinoxEgg.swf?obj=V001

what a waste of time and money to shoot that :roll:

pharzo
11-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Hey man, you'd be surprised how many people believe that stupid myth...

And no scientific explanation will ever sway them

ZfrkS62
11-14-2005, 08:42 PM
anyone catch the end of the Waterbottle Rocketepisode last week? Did Kari ever get into the harness and go for the ride? My DVR cut off the last 20 minutes :(

Anonymous
11-14-2005, 09:36 PM
anyone catch the end of the Waterbottle Rocketepisode last week? Did Kari ever get into the harness and go for the ride? My DVR cut off the last 20 minutes :(

nope it wasn't exactly a resounding success :lol:

ZfrkS62
11-14-2005, 09:38 PM

damn, all their tests looked fun as hell :D I was really hoping e would launch over the bay :lol:

Anonymous
11-14-2005, 09:43 PM

damn, all their tests looked fun as hell :D I was really hoping e would launch over the bay :lol:

nah they bought along some health and safety people so it was never going to happen!!! But well it jsut wasn't safe at all to be honest!

nthfinity
11-14-2005, 10:37 PM

nah they bought along some health and safety people so it was never going to happen!!! But well it jsut wasn't safe at all to be honest!

its goofy, but my friend who watched that episode thought they were doing it wrong when i showed him the video of the japs 'doing it'

well, he was quite drunk lol

ZfrkS62
11-14-2005, 10:43 PM
I didn't realize my roomate recorded the encore last night so i just watched the end. Disappointing to say the least. I'm sure it took the japs afew extra days to figure it out, but i'm sure it's more Plausible than Busted

Anonymous
11-14-2005, 10:44 PM
I didn't realize my roomate recorded the encore last night so i just watched the end. Disappointing to say the least. I'm sure it took the japs afew extra days to figure it out, but i'm sure it's more Plausible than Busted

Yeh but if they didn't do that annoying thing occasionally they'd have no material for the revisited shows and those are quite cool!! :D

nthfinity
11-15-2005, 12:49 AM

well, you gotta realize that all the pressurized air in the bottles are going to expell as fast as they can (nature abhores a vacuum) and the nozzle ont he bottle is too big to keep releasing air for more then... say, a 10th or so of a second, so the japanese video is debunked right there in my view.

still funny as hell