PDA

View Full Version : G3 Live in denver

430csjj
08-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Has anyone seen G3 live in Denver with Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai?? I think its an awesome dvd and I think all 3 of them are amazing guitarists. What do you guys think about the dvd??

cho_888
08-15-2005, 07:52 AM
great guitarists, i have the DVD however i think the best bit is the jam at the end. There music is unique to themselves so i find it hard to sit through so much of it

graywolf624
08-15-2005, 07:13 PM
I have the dvd as well.. Plus I saw the concert when it hit atlanta. Great dvd, it did a very good job in terms of quality and of course the concert itself was badass.

ZfrkS62
08-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Had the chance to see it in Phoenix last year but i was getting Godsmack tickets when i saw it on the video board at the Dodge Theatre :(

nurbrun
08-18-2005, 02:49 AM
its a cool dvd my friend owns it and i have seen it a couple of times. they are all awsome guitarist but to me Steve Vai seems like he dosnt really have his own stlye. it sounds like evry kind of fast 80's stlye guitar solo IMO. he is still amazing im am NOT saying he is bad. i dont want to piss anyone off :wink:

graywolf624
08-18-2005, 07:22 PM
I have to disagree about style to steve vai. I don't like his style, but he definitly has one. Satriani is extremely varied and prolly the best of the 3. Yngwie has one set style of speed. Hes great at it but his musical style of most of his music is in one area(nothign wrong with that, and he does have a few good outside songs, but why not do what your good at).

SFDMALEX
08-18-2005, 08:40 PM
I watched it, but I gave the DVD back. To be honest I didnt really like it. Satriani, well I cant listen to too much Satriani, saw him live and he gets repetative fast.
Malmsteen, same thing. Gets repetative fast.
Vai was one of the more interesting artists.

Bottom line, I just couldnt sit through the whole thing. The highlight for me were the Jimi covers.

pharzo
08-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Well obviously, on the technical side of things, these guys are unmatched. But, there's of course a reason why they're mainly known and admired within the musicians (specifally shredders) community

People don't really want to listen to them, because it technical, and theoritical, and there's no lyrics.

They're amazing guitarists to be sure, but not great ones. Ain't none of these guys Vaughan or Clapton. But they're all bloody brilliant to be sure :D

Malmsteen is easy to dismiss as a weird nordic shredder with bad outfits, but man oh man. I've studied music theory quite intensely for a few years, and this guy is pretty much as schooled as they come. I have several of his DVD's, and listening to him talk about how he puts his music together is like listening to a lecture on the half cadence. Most people find it dull, it interests the hell out of me. Plus he plays a scalloped strat, that's just cool :P

Vai is like a freakin' institution among guitar players. He's brilliant, melodic, and he has some pretty serious chops :P Technically speaking, he's probably the best guitarist I've ever seen. The fluidity of his hands...boy it's a sight to see. He has some great music though. Bad Horsie, Blood and Glory, The Attitude Song, For The Love of God. These are pretty much melodic shred. Like listening to Mozart, but with an Ibanez and an effects pedal

Satriani? What can you say about Satriani. Surfing with the Alien is a classic, and any guitarists would laugh you out of the room if you didn't at least know the title track. He's a great writer, he wrote some classic columns a while back, and he tutored Vai and Hammet :!: What more do you need? Plus he does that two handed tapping thing. And his guitar is chrome. Cool :D

SFDMALEX
08-18-2005, 09:23 PM
/\/\/\I agree, but they arent great in big doses. I love to have a random Satriani track on my playlist, but I just cant listen to them for extended periods of time. Mind you it has nothing to do with the fact there are no lyrics or something like that, I listen to Jazz most of the time................but Satriani in particular gets very repetative.