PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Top Gear is here to stay :-)

Anonymous
08-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Depsite all those ecomentalists that want Top Gear axed, 4.5million UK viewers is pretty damn good for BBC2 on a sunday night :D

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds23271.html

'Top Gear' is top draw with 4.5 million
Monday, August 8 2005, 13:03 BST -- by Neil Wilkes

Top Gear continued to pull in the punters last night with an average of over 4.5 million viewers.

According to early figures, the BBC Two show managed 4.51 million (21.4%) in the 8pm hour, ranking fifth place for the day and beating all other competition in the timeslot, excluding ITV1.

As usual, ITV1's Sunday night drama lineup ruled the roost, led by Coronation Street with 8.68 million (46.2%) at 7.30pm.

Where The Heart Is had 6.86 million (32.6%) at 8pm, pushing Emmerdale to third with 6.64 million (38.9%).

Great series IMO, even if there wern't alot of stunning cars i'd say it was a great series, that many viewers can't be wrong :P

RC45
08-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Coronation Street? That bloody tripe still on telly? And 8.6 million brain donors tune in every episode?

Looks like Blighty is just as far up shitcreek as the rest of the bloody world... ;)

p.s. good showing for TG... hehe

Anonymous
08-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Coronation Street? That bloody tripe still on telly? And 8.6 million brain donors tune in every episode?

Looks like Blighty is just as far up shitcreek as the rest of the bloody world... ;)

p.s. good showing for TG... hehe

sadly yup, can never compete will that moronic tripe, think they get more than double that some days :roll:

Global Warming
08-10-2005, 01:47 PM
A side note that I thought was interesting. Do you know the ages of the 3?? Hammond will be 36 in December, May will be 43 in January, and Clarkson turned 45 in April?!?

LOL I really think Jeremy has lied about his age!! There is no way he is only 2.5 years older than James!!! I would say JC has got to at least be 50 if not older.... That or all the smoking has weathered him very fast!

Also both Richard and James do look younger than their age.

Toronto
08-10-2005, 02:04 PM
thanks for the info, we will now go on still not caring :P

Anonymous
08-10-2005, 06:24 PM

hehe, the important thing is its up about a million or more on last season i think from memory, can only be good :P and shows what tripe that transport 2000 lot were talking.

RC45
08-10-2005, 06:41 PM

hehe, the important thing is its up about a million or more on last season i think from memory, can only be good :P and shows what tripe that transport 2000 lot were talking.

Well all the transport 2000 contributors werer watching Coronaiton Street... :roll:

jamberl
08-11-2005, 04:51 AM
Sounds like a good, solid, middle finger salute to the transport 2000 crowd.

SlickDizzy
08-11-2005, 01:16 PM
TG is still pulling in the viewers, but I wonder what they're going to do now that Clarkson's doctor has banned him from driving because of slipped discs in his back?

[If they've already done something about it ignore me, I'm in America where we get cut, out of date Top Gear on TV.]

Anonymous
08-11-2005, 01:22 PM
TG is still pulling in the viewers, but I wonder what they're going to do now that Clarkson's doctor has banned him from driving because of slipped discs in his back?

[If they've already done something about it ignore me, I'm in America where we get cut, out of date Top Gear on TV.]

well i have to say he looked better as the weeks went on, perhaps the drugs working. But if it really is a 6 month + thing then its gonna cause problems before, at least hammond and may have been able to develop as presenters in the mean time. I think they've saved a few we would have seen this season anyway, AMV8 has a press embargo on it but i think i remember shots of it? certainly he's tested it but that might be for his mag or paper column. The show will still enjoyable but definately will loose something without him doing segments IMO. What about the races etc? :-(

Global Warming
08-11-2005, 01:37 PM
I wonder how many extra they'd get if there was a count of how many people watched it on the net.

** AHEM ** - Dan

This is a good point. First of all Top Gear has been on the air since 1978. These ratings listed are only the UK audience. I know Top Gear is shown in many other countries especially in Europe. Add to it the new American version and the overwhelming popularity the British version is getting online via downloads. I would say Top Gear is just about the most popular, most recognized car show in the world. If the UK ever did boot them over energy political issues I'm sure JC and friends would be picked up on one of dozens of other TV networks in other countries.

The show is tried and proven to be a successful formula. I wouldn’t worry about it going away as long as JC is able to stand and talk. Even if he could never test drive a car again... as long as he can host the show it will be a hit.

Anonymous
08-11-2005, 01:41 PM
I wonder how many extra they'd get if there was a count of how many people watched it on the net.

** AHEM ** - Dan

This is a good point. First of all Top Gear has been on the air since 1978. These ratings listed are only the UK audience. I know Top Gear is shown in many other countries especially in Europe. Add to it the new American version and the overwhelming popularity the British version is getting online via downloads. I would say Top Gear is just about the most popular, most recognized car show in the world. If the UK ever did boot them over energy political issues I'm sure JC and friends would be picked up on one of dozens of other TV networks in other countries.

The show is tried and proven to be a successful formula. I wouldn’t worry about it going away as long as JC is able to stand and talk. Even if he could never test drive a car again... as long as he can host the show it will be a hit.

yeh it just makes me laugh the more they protest and suggest how a green show would be popular all that happens to top gear is it goes from strength to strength. Hopefully Jeremy will make a speedy recovery, though i would think the next series may suffer a bit. Anyway i would expect BBC Worldwide to start selling program downloads for such shows in the near future, if the licensing/ royalty issues can be sorted. UK license holders should e able to download through iMP soonish if all goes to plan :D

Global Warming
08-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Have they announced what date the autumn series will start?

Anonymous
08-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Have they announced what date the autumn series will start?

Not to my knowledge. Looking at the JW archive i can see the first ep of last autumn series aired on sun 24th oct 2004, expect it not to vary to much, although there was one more ep than usual in this one

nthfinity
08-12-2005, 09:41 PM
in i think the 8th ep this series, Clarkson asked Sabine (ring taxi) if she was free during that time (to do all the great sidways action that the others arent quite as good at? (or at least hes the only one willing to stay on the throttle after spinning it :lol: )

personally, if we see sabine driving, mabey we would prefer her for those bits :wink:

nchs09
08-12-2005, 10:36 PM
i dont see this is as good news. trust me i like to see the show doing good but with so much succes, ur just asking for changes which will be the downfall of the show unfortunally or maybe not downfall but lack of quality which it has now

Global Warming
08-12-2005, 10:45 PM
i dont see this is as good news. trust me i like to see the show doing good but with so much succes, ur just asking for changes which will be the downfall of the show unfortunally or maybe not downfall but lack of quality which it has now

I wouldn’t be too worried. Like I said before, the show has been on since 1978. And yes Jeremy Clarkson was the host even back then. The ratings have gone up and down for years. I don’t think these new ratings will change anything except maybe quiet the green car people from complaining a little bit.

antonioledesma
08-12-2005, 11:01 PM
I believe that the changes that will come this autumm, know as Sabine, is about Clarkson having slipped 2 discs. 3 weeks ago in TG they announced that JC was forbiden to drive for 6 months.
So we could have a duo for some car reviews, JC talking and Sabine driving.... unless the Stig does all the driving

HeilSvenska
08-13-2005, 12:05 AM
UK license holders should e able to download through iMP soonish if all goes to plan

but the iMP automatically stops each program after a week. I don't want that. I want to watch Top Gear whenever i want. even though watching any BBC programme for a week is a fascinating idea

nchs09
08-13-2005, 12:09 AM

I wouldn’t be too worried. Like I said before, the show has been on since 1978. And yes Jeremy Clarkson was the host even back then. The ratings have gone up and down for years. I don’t think these new ratings will change anything except maybe quiet the green car people from complaining a little bit.well im not afraid of the show going away. ye the quality of the show and maye the focus changing.... less into what it is now and more into more comercial cars that we do not want to see due to the ammount of viewers car companys might want to pusha car to get tested and producers budge into it

Anonymous
08-13-2005, 06:53 AM
UK license holders should e able to download through iMP soonish if all goes to plan

but the iMP automatically stops each program after a week. I don't want that. I want to watch Top Gear whenever i want. even though watching any BBC programme for a week is a fascinating idea

well yes thats what it did in the first trial, second larger trial coming september. who knows what will happen for sure, or even if it will happen at all. BBC are also developing their own codec to so no microsoft crap eventually hopefully. Finally if DRM becomes popular on vids expect it to be cracked pretty quickly :lol: just like dvds any method is pretty pointless

Pokiou
08-30-2005, 02:03 AM
man they better not axe TG or jeremy. . thats like amputating your own penis for BBC ... the show is doing great and i know there is a MASSVIE crowd here in australia that download the video's and watch it.. i watch even the old ones still.. it a good show has everything a man wants fast cars lots of smoke and funny witty comments..

great show in fact i reckon its the greatest !!!

PATo355
08-30-2005, 03:09 AM
Well its an astonishing show not only aimed to petrolheads , it also contains a lot of humour that you can enjoy in family .